As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canada Day] is done until next year!

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    I could never be Canadian. I don't want gravy or cheese products anywhere near my fries.

However I do respect it. God speed you guys. God speed.

what about vinegar?

I tried that. Not my thing either.

Actually plain fries aren't bad usually.

yeah i never got that either, but apparently it's a very Canadian thing.

I don't think I've known anyone canadian who uses vinegar on fries, but I do know it's supposedly a very british thing?

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I could never be Canadian. I don't want gravy or cheese products anywhere near my fries.

what about vinegar?

I don't think I've known anyone canadian who uses vinegar on fries, but I do know it's supposedly a very british thing?

everywhere i have been in Canada that serves fries has vinegar either in packets or on the table with the ketchup, this is not true in the USA.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Vinegar on potato chips is very tasty, which @SilverWind introduced me to and so I always think of it as Canadian

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    shergakshergak Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Going to have to miss the fireworks to hang out at home with 9 dogs, 3 of them two weeks old. (Wife has a night shift so I'm on puppy duty) (oh woe is me)

During the day if the weather's nice I'll probably bike downtown and then wander around the waterfront, eat some poutine and a beavertail (note: not an actual beaver's tail, but a fried pastry with cinnamon sugar on it)

Already thinking ahead to next year though, trying to figure out if I can get up to Ottawa for the 150th celebrations because they will be insane. I have a great uncle that lives there, I may see if I can visit him (he lives a 15-20 minute walk from the Aviation museum, which would also be rad as heck)

I am super excited for the 150th next year. No matter where I'm working, I'm planning on taking time off to come home for that weekend because giant robots through my hometown's downtown core oh my GOODNESS

The Aviation museum is pretty rad, but if you haven't been to the War Museum yet, that's probably the best one in town (and has received international recognition for its design and collection, too!)

If any of you fine folks end up in town next year I can give you the grand tour. Probably not going downtown this year though; much as seeing Coeur de Pirate for the first time or seeing Metric live again for free could be fun, I'm not sure I can convince too many locals to make the trek to see the fireworks with 100 000 other people for the Nth time. It's exhausting, and with the gigantic sink hole that opened up in the core a week or two back getting home would be even more crazy than usual.

I'm excited to see if they put flags up around the sinkhole, or colour it red or something. Probably going to hang out on my balcony to watch the fireworks though, avoid all the crowds meandering around centretown.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Vinegar on potato chips is very tasty, which @SilverWind introduced me to and so I always think of it as Canadian
    We have vinegar flavored potato chips in the US too. I'm down for some every once in awhile, but they aren't something I'd want to eat every day.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    It's a little different when you put actual vinegar on plain potato chips! That little bit of moisture can be nice

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Great, now I want poutine.

Wait, I always want poutine. . .

. . . carry on.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Poutine with pulled pork on top is wonderful! There was also a place I went in Montreal that had poutine with guacamole on top; I might have been influenced the flask of whiskey I'd had on the two-hour bus there, but it was surprisingly fantastic.

Though the absolute best I have ever had was actually in Toronto near Kensington Market, where the guy makes his cheese curds fresh every day. Fucking perfection.

Theres a local place here that has an absurd number of poutine choices its not to bad!

I thinn it even got a buzzfeed article

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    While I don't think I will ever try poutine... man is it a fun word to say.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    What, why not? Shit is awesome.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

what about vinegar?

everywhere i have been in Canada that serves fries has vinegar either in packets or on the table with the ketchup, this is not true in the USA.

My dad definitely uses vinegar on fries, and he isn't the only one. Might be prominent in areas that had a lot of British communities, though?

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options

what about vinegar?

My dad definitely uses vinegar on fries, and he isn't the only one. Might be prominent in areas that had a lot of British communities, though?

where i grew up it was like, 30% greek immigrants, 20% british, 30% americans, and 100% italian.

Also i came across it in the middle of Alberta, i'm pretty sure it's just a normal thing.

• Options
    shergak wrote: »
    Going to have to miss the fireworks to hang out at home with 9 dogs, 3 of them two weeks old. (Wife has a night shift so I'm on puppy duty) (oh woe is me)

During the day if the weather's nice I'll probably bike downtown and then wander around the waterfront, eat some poutine and a beavertail (note: not an actual beaver's tail, but a fried pastry with cinnamon sugar on it)

Already thinking ahead to next year though, trying to figure out if I can get up to Ottawa for the 150th celebrations because they will be insane. I have a great uncle that lives there, I may see if I can visit him (he lives a 15-20 minute walk from the Aviation museum, which would also be rad as heck)

I am super excited for the 150th next year. No matter where I'm working, I'm planning on taking time off to come home for that weekend because giant robots through my hometown's downtown core oh my GOODNESS

The Aviation museum is pretty rad, but if you haven't been to the War Museum yet, that's probably the best one in town (and has received international recognition for its design and collection, too!)

If any of you fine folks end up in town next year I can give you the grand tour. Probably not going downtown this year though; much as seeing Coeur de Pirate for the first time or seeing Metric live again for free could be fun, I'm not sure I can convince too many locals to make the trek to see the fireworks with 100 000 other people for the Nth time. It's exhausting, and with the gigantic sink hole that opened up in the core a week or two back getting home would be even more crazy than usual.

I'm excited to see if they put flags up around the sinkhole, or colour it red or something. Probably going to hang out on my balcony to watch the fireworks though, avoid all the crowds meandering around centretown.

When I had an apartment downtown last year Canada Day was so good. We had a board game night, but I snuck out to walk ten minutes and catch the fireworks on the Hill. It was great!

But now I'm back in the suburbs and oh man do I not want to fight those crowds to get on the buses this year. I'm definitely envious of your balcony situation.

Steam
  • Options
    shergakshergak Registered User regular
    shergak wrote: »

When I had an apartment downtown last year Canada Day was so good. We had a board game night, but I snuck out to walk ten minutes and catch the fireworks on the Hill. It was great!

But now I'm back in the suburbs and oh man do I not want to fight those crowds to get on the buses this year. I'm definitely envious of your balcony situation.

oh yeah, the bus situation with all the construction just seems like a legit hassle.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    There's a place in my town which sells schmaunt fat (cream gravy) poutine which is incredibly delicious and will certainly kill you

Just put schmaunt fat on everything

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular
    the big question is at what point does it stop being poutine and become a fry dish

when the fries, gravy, and cheese curd no longer make up 70% of the serving.

Smoked meat poutine being the exception.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I have tried poutine several times and it really hasn't hit a chord with me. Maybe it's the gravy quality or the cheese curd quality, but poutine is only middling at best in my experience. For those poutine lovers out there is it something that has a wide range of quality and variation in taste? I know my first introduction to donair put me off them for a couple of years, but I was reintroduced to it during the Kitsilano Greek Days Festival and it was completely different than what I had before and now I am a big fan.

For poutine lovers on the West Coast, are there any excellent examples I can try to see if it is just the quality/versions of the dish I have tried that I don't like or if it is the dish itself.

Full disclosure, I tried Loco Moco on Maui a couple of years ago and was similarly not all that impressed. The flavours were too similar and it tasted like there wasn't enough counterpoint to the gravy/rich flavours. I have since had Curry Loco Moco and that combination filled the flavour hole much better than the traditional dish. Again, I'm not sure if it was a quality thing or if I'm just not a big fan of the dish itself as it is traditionally prepared.

• Options
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    I have tried poutine several times and it really hasn't hit a chord with me. Maybe it's the gravy quality or the cheese curd quality, but poutine is only middling at best in my experience. For those poutine lovers out there is it something that has a wide range of quality and variation in taste? I know my first introduction to donair put me off them for a couple of years, but I was reintroduced to it during the Kitsilano Greek Days Festival and it was completely different than what I had before and now I am a big fan.

For poutine lovers on the West Coast, are there any excellent examples I can try to see if it is just the quality/versions of the dish I have tried that I don't like or if it is the dish itself.

Full disclosure, I tried Loco Moco on Maui a couple of years ago and was similarly not all that impressed. The flavours were too similar and it tasted like there wasn't enough counterpoint to the gravy/rich flavours. I have since had Curry Loco Moco and that combination filled the flavour hole much better than the traditional dish. Again, I'm not sure if it was a quality thing or if I'm just not a big fan of the dish itself as it is traditionally prepared.

yeah poutine is a product with a shocking variety of quality. There is a poutine place on Commercial near Broadway in Vancouver that is pretty good, i can't recall the name of it.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Smoke's Poutinerie is generally pretty good, and they have restaurants all over the place. I'd recommend anything with sausage in it, I don't know where they get theirs from, but it's so good.

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Are there Smoke's out West? I've never seen one West of Ontario.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    there seems to be on in vancouver. that is all i can confirm at this moment.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    There's always a Stampede in this town during Canada Day. A rowdy rodeo full of cowpersons. This town normally has a population of 7,000 people, which shoots up to 30,000 or some goddamn nonsense during rodeo days. So many cowpersons in this town.

I've never actually bothered to go to the Canada Day Parade, but I assume it is full of chuckwagons and the mayor getting hogtied for charity or whatever.

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    I need to look for that next time I'm in the Lower Mainland.

Oh! I have a poutine horror story to tell. My city was holding it's annual fair, and I see people walking around with poutine they've gotten from food trucks. I get a craving, and I go to a booth I had gotten some barbecue from earlier and ordered a serving. Fresh fries are put in the dish. Great. Gravy is ladled out from a large pot. Seems promising. The man walks towards a cooler and am confused when he goes by. I watch in horror as the man puts my poutine underneath the spigot of a queso dispenser and presses the button. I tried to eat that stew of fries, gravy and nacho cheese, but I could not conquer it.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    wait, you live in a small town with high speed internet?

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I don't know if I would call it high speed.

I would call it, "I'm used to it and can sometimes stream SD video without it hitching too much."

• Options
    oh, alright then. that is not unlike my experiences of small town livin'

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Poutine kind of strikes me as something a guy sitting down in a room came up with while thinking about a white person's version of nachos.

Also some part of my mind really wants to pronounce it Poo Tee Nee for some reason. Maybe I just want to think about Jawas shouting or something.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I shall be toiling for Canada Day. Hooray for working at a national museum!

(Only part of the day, a zillion special events, and I get Monday off from it, but yeah)

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    I need to look for that next time I'm in the Lower Mainland.

Oh! I have a poutine horror story to tell. My city was holding it's annual fair, and I see people walking around with poutine they've gotten from food trucks. I get a craving, and I go to a booth I had gotten some barbecue from earlier and ordered a serving. Fresh fries are put in the dish. Great. Gravy is ladled out from a large pot. Seems promising. The man walks towards a cooler and am confused when he goes by. I watch in horror as the man puts my poutine underneath the spigot of a queso dispenser and presses the button. I tried to eat that stew of fries, gravy and nacho cheese, but I could not conquer it.

Jesus Christ

I am so sorry

Steam
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    It dawned me tomorrow would have been a nifty chance to change my hair from blue to red

Now ive just got people pointing it out all day!

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Canada y'all are pretty cool

rhylith on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

traitor

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »

traitor

It originally said alright but I realized I could make a pun

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I have a sick balcony to watch fireworks from this year, overlooking our lovely river valley here in Edmonton. I've got a small handful of friends coming over, and I'm thrilled to start cooking! Ahi tuna tacos with chipotle-lime sauce, my jalapeno-cheddar burgers, and some portobello fajitas! Om nom nom.

Go Canada!

• Options
    We got ingredients to make red and white flatbreads (with feta and peppers and cherry tomatoes on top) and a cherry cheesecake. And I'm going to make butter tarts tonight and red and white cupcakes tomorrow! Also a ton of Canada Dry ginger ale to go with some Crown Royal that I already had on hand. Gonna be a good day, so long as we don't get the thunder storms that're expected...

Steam
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    I have a sick balcony to watch fireworks from this year, overlooking our lovely river valley here in Edmonton. I've got a small handful of friends coming over, and I'm thrilled to start cooking! Ahi tuna tacos with chipotle-lime sauce, my jalapeno-cheddar burgers, and some portobello fajitas! Om nom nom.

Go Canada!

Nice! I had a friend who lived in those condos - it always seemed like a great place for Canada Day celebrations.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Let me tell you about St-Jean-Baptiste

St-Jean-Baptiste takes place every June 24th, a whole week before Canada Day, and is Quebec's national holiday. It's way more widely celebrated here even though both days are holidays.

So tomorrow I'm helping a friend move because over here, Canada Day is moving day.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Rainfall wrote: »

Go Canada!

Nice! I had a friend who lived in those condos - it always seemed like a great place for Canada Day celebrations.

Yeah I just moved in last October so I'm verrrry hyped to enjoy this.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    I'm moving to Edmonton and I sure hope I find a place to live when I get there.

But I'll be in Vancouver for Canada Day and probably drunk by some water or up a mountain or both!

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Canada Day is so Moving Day in Quebec that even if you move on another date, your lease probably expires July 1st

because it's expected that if you don't renew, you're gonna move on that day

sig.gif