As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canada Day] is done until next year!

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Poutine kind of strikes me as something a guy sitting down in a room came up with while thinking about a white person's version of nachos.

Also some part of my mind really wants to pronounce it Poo Tee Nee for some reason. Maybe I just want to think about Jawas shouting or something.

There are conflicting stories about poutine's origins (several restaurants claim to have invented it, mostly in Drummondville or elsewhere in Montreal's south shore region) but they all circle around a man walking in there and ordering it custom. The name apparently came from someone in the staff replying "that'll make a nasty poutine" which was a word they just kind of made up on the spot to mean "sloppy mess".

sig.gif
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    All of my leases have ended on non-July 1st dates, because I was very aware of how much of a shitshow moving day in Quebec was, and argued nonstop with landlords until they agreed to allow my move date be no goddamn where near moving day.

I have no plans for Canada day. It doesn't seem like a lot of stores close but I'm closing my store for the day.

Not sure what to do.

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Oats wrote: »
    I'm moving to Edmonton and I sure hope I find a place to live when I get there.

But I'll be in Vancouver for Canada Day and probably drunk by some water or up a mountain or both!

Lemme know if you need any Edmonton advice for finding a good place, I can give you the lowdown on pretty much every part of the town.

Except the West End. We don't go to the West End anymore.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited June 2016
    I grew up in Bonnie Doon.

It was a very nice place for a child, and the ravine was where 90% of my summers were spent.

Our community park was also where some of the movie Snow Day (2000 film) was shot.

Psykoma on
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I grew up in Bonnie Doon.

It was a very nice place for a child, and the ravine was where 90% of my summers were spent.

Our community park was also where some of the movie Snow Day (2000 film) was shot.

Bonnie Doon is lovely! My grandparents lived near'ish (Ottewell) and we would go to Bonnie Doon a lot.

Now I live in suburbia because it was 25000$ cheaper for a lot with a much bigger back yard, and I really like planting a pretty, pretty flower garden.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I grew up about four blocks from the Transit Hotel/Fort Road. The north side is awful don't live there.

Now I exclusively lair in Strathcona and surrounding neighborhoods, the south-central parts of Edmonton are pretty damn nice.

Bonnie Doon is also the reason why I can tell people that Edmonton actually has a sizeable French speaking population, as the people living in the street across from me were a large Francophone family, and like two blocks away was a Francophone school.

I went to J.H. Picard, a french immersion school which I gather is now a horrible place for horrible people but it was okay while I was there.

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    @vsove I'm looking primarily around downtown (110 St) and Whyte Ave.

Commute is to just south of 51 Ave.

I'll be pretty reliant on transit for at least a little while since I haven't bothered finishing my license due to never needing it in Vancouver.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    now you've gotten me all nostalgia-ing

This is where I grew up
    KbTWfMj.jpg?1[/img]

Although we didn't have the paved path to the fence, and there wasn't a garage in our backyard, and we definitely didn't have security cameras at the front door.

I really liked that house. I helped put that basketball hoop in.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    @vsove I'm looking primarily around downtown (110 St) and Whyte Ave.

Commute is to just south of 51 Ave.

I'll be pretty reliant on transit for at least a little while since I haven't bothered finishing my license due to never needing it in Vancouver.

I lived near 84th Avenue and 111 street. And it wasn't bad. Whyte Avenue is one of the areas that felt like a combination of Broadway and Commercial Drive that I liked in Edmonton. I found that as long as I stayed near the river valley it stayed green and not samish like many of the suburb areas. Plus the river valley actually has hills which I weirdly found I missed after all the flatness.

I did the commute to south of 51st near Calgary Trail area by public transit for a couple of years. What approximate street are you needing to commute towards? There a couple of possible commuter routes and if you are commuting to near South Gate mall there is even the LRT. The end destination may push you in one direction or the other since there are only a few major artery bus routes going east/west and north south.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    My worst poutine experience keeps happening, I don't know what's causing a wave of it.

They have begun putting the curds AFTER the gravy, like wtf. So it's not melted at all, just cold curds sitting on top.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Whitemud Ave and Calgary Trail are the cross streets.

I've looked around, and it seems like I'm spoiled for choice as far as bus routes go.

How is the light rail in Edmonton?

Whitemud Ave and Calgary Trail are the cross streets.

I've looked around, and it seems like I'm spoiled for choice as far as bus routes go.

How is the light rail in Edmonton?

Poor to average, depending.

For where you're looking to get to, you're probably okay with anything that takes you near the Century Park station (that's how far it extends South). If you're able to get to the Southgate station, you can either bus your way down or walk the rest of the way.

So long as you're sticking to that single line, you should be golden. There's a new LRT line that's a much bigger clusterfuck, but it isn't really relevant for you.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    That's approximately where I had to commute for a while. Your choices are to either bus across Whyte Avenue to Calgary Trail/99th avenue or go down to Southgate and across on 51st. It depends roughly on where your start and end points are located exactly.

The LRT for the southern part of the city is reportedly fine. I hear there's some serious issues when you get onto the north side of the river. They were just building the LRT system south of the university hospital stop when I left, but friends still in the city say it works pretty good on the southern end. They are working on expanding the system, but that won't be finished for several years at least. The systems generally work best north/south and there is not a whole lot east/west.

Another thing about commuting in Edmonton via public transit, is that the city has been very much designed for cars. There are a lot of locations that are difficult or cumbersome to reach via public transit. It isn't impossible (I lived there two years without owning a vehicle), but you need to plan things out. The bus frequency outside of rush hour is much lower than you might encounter in most areas of the Lower Mainland. Rush hour is also very short, so that is important to keep in mind.

Also, bikes on the road are something that most driver seem to not be aware of at all. Plan to use bike trails wherever possible.

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I'm US based but a strategic support operative for Canada, so I get tomorrow off too!

Thanks, guys!

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I lived in Bonnie Doon for a while

right across the street from that french school

its a nice area for sure

edit: well apparently there is more than one french school in that area. Its been a while.

Al_wat on
    My worst poutine experience keeps happening, I don't know what's causing a wave of it.

They have begun putting the curds AFTER the gravy, like wtf. So it's not melted at all, just cold curds sitting on top.

Just noticed this and now I'm furious.

Heretics, all of them.

I was a block away from Ecole Maurice-Lavallee

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I was a block away from Ecole Maurice-Lavallee

i did a bit of google maps sleuthing and looks like that was the school i was near. 95th street i believe. it was like...... 2008 / 2009

oh yeah I was gone in like, 2000

• MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Oh fuck yes this is my thread

SedfR0q.png

Ginger Ale is my shit

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    No no Veratas.

That's an A not an R

Also Vernors is better.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Uriel wrote: »
    No no Veratas.

That's an A not an R

Also Vernors is better.

I almost clicked agree on this post you GOOSE

Take back that comment about Vernors take it back

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    No no Veratas.

That's an A not an R

Also Vernors is better.

I almost clicked agree on this post you son of a goose

Okay fine.

I will walk it back a bit.

I've never actually tried Canada dry.

I just live like an hour or two from Detroit so I grew up with vernors for sick tummy days.

Cello wrote: »
    No no Veratas.

That's an A not an R

Also Vernors is better.

I almost clicked agree on this post you son of a goose

Okay fine.

I will walk it back a bit.

I've never actually tried Canada dry.

I just live like an hour or two from Detroit so I grew up with vernors for sick tummy days.

I judge this opinion acceptable for the Canada Dry thread. Move along, citizen.

Steam
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Vernors always tasted bizzarely like Parmesan cheese to me

It was super weird

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Canada Dry is insufficiently dry.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    sorry canada, but dry ginger ales pale in comparison to golden ginger ales

uc3ufTB.png
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The wife and I are escaping our unfairly busy lives to spend the long weekend at her family's cabin on a lake in the mountains North of Whistler.

No phones, no internet, just hot dogs and Smores over the fire, reading books, laying by/in the lake, driking booze and smoking weed and enjoying the quiet.

I can't wait.

#pipe on
    I am betrayed

I will comfort myself with the trays of butter tarts I prepared this evening

Steam
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    thems just the facts

come to america and i will show you what you've been missing out on

DSC_0205_thumb.jpg

(bring the butter tarts pls)

uc3ufTB.png
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Everybody come and play

Throw every last care away

Let's go to the mall... Today!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Happy NHL Free Agent Frenzy Canada Day.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    wjhy the fuck cant i find a single video on youtube of the new version of the anthem being sung without some assclowns booing

• Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    I found this version, which I find quite lovely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxNSoWm-Oy4

When I looked for crowds/groups singing, there were always jackasses booing the updated verse.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • HadesHades Registered User regular
    Like a lot of Canadian things, Canada Dry isn't Canadian anymore. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_Dry

• Felonious PrimeFelonious Prime CanadaRegistered User regular
    Good morning Canada Day thread. Happy Canada to you all.

I just wanted to say that this was my favorite performance of the national anthem (old version I know):
    https://youtu.be/x_4BBZtCO1U
    I believe this was the first time we did this during that playoff run. (not sure if Vancouver did it first or Edmonton, I guess there is a debate about this? and it doesn't matter to me being part of that crowd was amazing).

So yeah, god damn do I love this country, through good times and bad it's been home, and I can always count on the people here to surprise me with their kindness, day before yesterday I was buying a flat of water and was $0.85 short and didn't want to use my bank or credit card and the dude behind me tossed in a loonie, instead of making me run out to my truck in the rain to grab some change. Little things like that make me smile and be grateful for winning the lottery and being born here.

7wwuii4mws2w.jpg
    I love my country so much I did this.

Everyone have a safe and excellent Canada day, enjoy your family, your neighbors, and everything else that makes this place so grand.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    tjgdr8npy6mf.jpg

• LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    I love you, Canada. Thanks for being cool and letting me crash on the couch whenever I visit without calling first.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg