As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fine, I'll make a [Captain America: Civil War] thread (CONTAINS OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm really surprised we didn't get more Creel as a substitute for Stonewall.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I'm really surprised we didn't get more Creel as a substitute for Stonewall.
    I agree but
    since Mack and Yoyo had the romance angle covered I'm not really sure what he would have added to the team outside of just having another super dude around

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    after seeing AoS's handling of the Secret Warriors

i really, really don't want them getting their hands on Ghost Rider
    Honestly I thought they used the Secret Warriors fine

Like they weren't gonna adapt Hickman's series and they never said they would

They had Yoyo, Quake, Hellfire and Hive as an antagonist. The only missing characters that they could have used were Phobos, Stonewall and Druid. Phobos would be cool but basically unadaptable in any satisfying way given the current state of the MCU, Stonewall was always eh outside of his and Yoyos romance and they covered that and Druid would have been real neat but I wouldn't be surprised if they were told to not touch magic shit until we are closer to Doctor Strange.

Plus, AoS Hive ended up being way cooler than actual Hive.

I would totally be down with them taking a crack at Ghost Rider.

Secret Warriors is more than just a collection of characters. there are themes and plot points that are infinitely more interesting than the things the show explored, and pretty much all of the characters you listed are basically just the name and power set, and otherwise completely different from the comic counterparts. which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but i don't think it worked particularly well here

AoS didn't really touch on Secret Warriors' themes because it couldn't. it's tied down in more continuity than the movies or Netflix shows have to deal with, they're forced to produce way more content and on a far reduced budget, and it has to be palatable to a different audience. using the Secret Warriors marketing was always just a marketing gimmick to get nerds like me excited and it ultimately was a huge disappointment, and in no world do i imagine the show would be able to give justice to the themes and imagery that Ghost Rider brings

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Hive looked so cool in that one scene, but I imagine it ate up the whole budget just to do.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    after seeing AoS's handling of the Secret Warriors

i really, really don't want them getting their hands on Ghost Rider
    Honestly I thought they used the Secret Warriors fine

Like they weren't gonna adapt Hickman's series and they never said they would

They had Yoyo, Quake, Hellfire and Hive as an antagonist. The only missing characters that they could have used were Phobos, Stonewall and Druid. Phobos would be cool but basically unadaptable in any satisfying way given the current state of the MCU, Stonewall was always eh outside of his and Yoyos romance and they covered that and Druid would have been real neat but I wouldn't be surprised if they were told to not touch magic shit until we are closer to Doctor Strange.

Plus, AoS Hive ended up being way cooler than actual Hive.

I would totally be down with them taking a crack at Ghost Rider.

Secret Warriors is more than just a collection of characters. there are themes and plot points that are infinitely more interesting than the things the show explored, and pretty much all of the characters you listed are basically just the name and power set, and otherwise completely different from the comic counterparts. which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but i don't think it worked particularly well here

AoS didn't really touch on Secret Warriors' themes because it couldn't. it's tied down in more continuity than the movies or Netflix shows have to deal with, they're forced to produce way more content and on a far reduced budget, and it has to be palatable to a different audience. using the Secret Warriors marketing was always just a marketing gimmick to get nerds like me excited and it ultimately was a huge disappointment, and in no world do i imagine the show would be able to give justice to the themes and imagery that Ghost Rider brings
    Man I think you are really giving them a unduly harsh view for what they did with Secret Warriors

Like all they ever did was have the name Secret Warriors on the logo for a promo pic and an episode title

I like Hickman's series a whole bunch but I am absolutely fine with them not tackling all of the themes and concepts explored in it. It is still Agents of SHIELD, not a Secret Warriors show. Having a clandestine team of superhumans that SHIELD has to keep off the books and features a few of the same characters is enough for me, personally.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    A lot of the bigger shit in Hickman's series got eaten by Winter Soldier anyway.

• Options
    Like if they do Ghost Rider, the only absolute necessities I need are:

Possessed by a supernatural being of vengeance
    Hunts down the guilty, but doesn't enjoy it half the time
    Has a cool vehicle
    Flaming skull or skull-esque head

As long as they cover those bases I'm good to go, anything else is gravy

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    that's cool, i'm glad you liked it

i didn't. you are not going to convince me that it was done well, and because of the reasons i listed, i do not think they would do a good job with Ghost Rider

• Options
    I wasn't trying to convince you, I was saying my personal view. That is why I said I was cool with it, personally!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

Has a cool vehicle

If that's all they do with Ghost Rider I'm gonna view it as a huge waste of that property. Because while all that stuff you listed helps make Ghost Rider cool, none of it encapsulates what I would want out of a Ghost Rider story.

• Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »

Has a cool vehicle

If that's all they do with Ghost Rider I'm gonna view it as a huge waste of that property. Because while all that stuff you listed helps make Ghost Rider cool, none of it encapsulates what I would want out of a Ghost Rider story.
    There are many different things I would want out of a Ghost Rider story

If he was the face of the supernatural weirdness showing up on AoS that would be rad

If he was the star of his own grindhouse series that would be rad

If he joined Daisy's team next season as an unstable wildcard but had that criteria I would be down with it

Like, basically as long as they don't do a shitty version of him that doesn't resemble Ghost Rider at all I am down with seeing where it goes

I don't see him getting a movie, he has struck out twice pretty badly on that front, and while a Netflix series is more likely I am not holding my breath so if we are gonna get MCU Ghost Rider I am cool with it being on AoS.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    it just bums me out that ghost rider'd be relegated to agents of shield status

like, i'd almost rather no ghost rider than that.

arguments of quality or "mattering" aside, as well as the chances of the tv shows and movies crossing paths (though i still firmly believe you'll only see movie cats slumming it on tv and not vice-versa), it's just gonna suck seeing a small budget ensemble piece ghost rider as like, none of those things suit that character particularly well.

also i really don't want to end up watching a show i despise for five minutes of a character i love and i know i will

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The ideal for Ghost Rider feels like a grindhouse-y, more episodic (or even anthology style), Netflix series

But, on the other hand, we haven't seen Marvel put out anything like that before

So I wouldn't really cross my fingers on it

• Options
    Ghost Rider loves ensembles as seen in the greatest team book of all time, The Champions

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    i'd love the trucker tall tales version of ghost rider. it's my ideal show

but part of me would be super interested in seeing original seventies, philosophical/religious, easy rider with a flaming skeleton man as a show

have satanna and daimon helstom as supporting characters

maybe even bring in the friend

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I mean anything that can get me Daimon Hellstrom is a thing I'm in favor of

• Options
    Ghost Rider loves ensembles as seen in the greatest team book of all time, The Champions

you son of a bitch

you know i can't disagree with this

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Ghost Rider as a 70s grindhouse thing would be preferable, for sure

But I bet this is the Agents of SHIELD season wot has magic in it, so maybe Ghost Rider could be a part of that?

• Options

you son of a bitch

you know i can't disagree with this
    I know your weaknesses, AJ

Your weird, weird weaknesses

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Ghost Rider should be heinously violent is my feeling.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I just found out that the actress that played Carrie Ann Moss' wife in Jessica Jones - the doctor - that's the same actress that played Calamity Jane on Deadwood.

Neat.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    you know, i don't agree that heinous violence is the way to go with ghost rider

ghost rider really shouldn't be a guy who gets into fistfights and the like,

if anything, the violence should be like green room....very short bursts of intensely unsettling bits, but the constant lingering threat of it hanging in the air

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    you know, i don't agree that heinous violence is the way to go with ghost rider

ghost rider really shouldn't be a guy who gets into fistfights and the like,

if anything, the violence should be like green room....very short bursts of intensely unsettling bits, but the constant lingering threat of it hanging in the air

Agreed, but a lot of people would still consider that sort of violence pretty heinous, in its own way

• Options
    Honestly I don't think ultraviolence is really much of a Ghost Rider thing

Like his signature thing is the penance stare and that is not violent at all

Like he throws down and will kill folks but in the series I have read he isn't anywhere near as bad as, like Punisher or even Daredevil depending on the run

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    In the context of Aos I expect the team to inestigate some supernatural shit and then tries to protect someone from some skull-headed flame-dude who tries to kill that person. Then they find out the guy the protect is some kind of supervillain or something and that the Ghost Rider is actually "the good guy".

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Honestly I don't think ultraviolence is really much of a Ghost Rider thing

Like his signature thing is the penance stare and that is not violent at all

Like he throws down and will kill folks but in the series I have read he isn't anywhere near as bad as, like Punisher or even Daredevil depending on the run

oh no i wouldn't have ghost rider be the one committing the ultra-violence, that's not even remotely his bag

but i'd definitely think whatever villain he's after'd be all about it

and the lingering threat is part of my whole ideal feeling re: ghost rider

if he's after you, you're fucked, and at some point, you're gonna know just how fucked you are -- thus the lingering threat

the rider ain't gonna kill you, but the villain and you, the viewer, should feel like you can't be too sure something horrible isn't going to happen when he's around

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The ghost rider should be kinda like the terminator in terminator 1, or t1000 in T2

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Ultraviolence is totally something I'd love for Ghost Rider to do. Tearing demons in half and such. Like Doom Marine!

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Ultraviolence is totally something I'd love for Ghost Rider to do. Tearing demons in half and such. Like Doom Marine!
    I dunno, like I enjoy him when he does totally ridiculous stuff like when he dragged those corporeal ghosts down a highway until they were dust in Aaron's run

But I find the threat of Ghost Rider is way more badass and intimidating than him just being an ultraviolet dude

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    i mean, i can see ghost rider burning people with hellfire or choking them with the chain

but i don't picture him, say, throwing a punch

he's not really an action hero, and whatever fight ensues when he finally catches you should be ninety percent just a formality. it all ends the same way.

the crux of a good ghost rider story isn't how he defeats the villain, it's who he goes out of his way to save/associate with along the way -- what the host side does

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    The ghost rider should be kinda like the terminator in terminator 1, or t1000 in T2

People have been brainstorming ideas about movies from a villain/group of mook's perspective of a superhero relentlessly hunting them down for a while. Most commonly people suggest Batman, but Ghost Rider could do the same thing pretty damn well.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    I can see a lot of people throwing a punch at Ghost Rider and getting every bone in their arm shattered in exchange for it, that sort of thing

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »

People have been brainstorming ideas about movies from a villain/group of mook's perspective of a superhero relentlessly hunting them down for a while. Most commonly people suggest Batman, but Ghost Rider could do the same thing pretty damn well.

I would be down for this, by and large I have found the people who are Ghost Rider an underwhelming part of the story.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Midnight Sons, boys, Midnight Sons.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    For as bad as they were overall, the Ghost Rider movies actually did a pretty good job with making him weird and unsettling and not really interested in getting into a fair fight

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    it just bums me out that ghost rider'd be relegated to agents of shield status

like, i'd almost rather no ghost rider than that.

arguments of quality or "mattering" aside, as well as the chances of the tv shows and movies crossing paths (though i still firmly believe you'll only see movie cats slumming it on tv and not vice-versa), it's just gonna suck seeing a small budget ensemble piece ghost rider as like, none of those things suit that character particularly well.

also i really don't want to end up watching a show i despise for five minutes of a character i love and i know i will

Yeah, this is the thing I worry about. If Ghost Rider gets chained to Marvel's ABC shows then that is where he'll remain. It means the possibility of a movie or a Netflix show is almost entirely off the table, and I'd much rather one of those then an occasional guest role on AoS.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »

Moon Knight!

Moon Knight!!!

MOON KNIGHT!!!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    i mean, i can see ghost rider burning people with hellfire or choking them with the chain

but i don't picture him, say, throwing a punch

he's not really an action hero, and whatever fight ensues when he finally catches you should be ninety percent just a formality. it all ends the same way.

the crux of a good ghost rider story isn't how he defeats the villain, it's who he goes out of his way to save/associate with along the way -- what the host side does

Honestly, I really like how they handled him in Ghost Rider 2; doing the rapid cut movement and generally being a terrifying supernatural monster.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Anna Kendrick has said, in that halfhearted way you get from a lot of actors who don't know what it is but would be very down for a Marvel paycheck, that she would like to play Squirrel Girl in a recent interview

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    ok this thread is clearly not about civil war any more

geth close the thread

This discussion has been closed.