As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2016 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• PavioPavio Registered User regular
    ddt58 wrote: »
    What kind of line can I expect at Will Call on Thursday? I work in Seattle, so I can pick whenever I want to pick up badges.

My brother had to get his at will call last year and it wasn't much of a wait. We went after he got off work (maybe around 6?). I have to get mine at will call this year but I'll be going earlier just in case.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    What kind of line can I expect at Will Call on Thursday? I work in Seattle, so I can pick whenever I want to pick up badges.

Last year I arrived at the will call room to pick up my medical badge, and it was about 100-125 people around 12:30-1 or so, When I walked to the front of the line to get in the room to get my medical badge (Same room, just a different desk/kiosk thing) , I asked someone at the front and he said he was there about an hour or so, but I don't know how long the line was when he got there lol, so it may have been way longer.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    Pavio wrote: »

My brother had to get his at will call last year and it wasn't much of a wait. We went after he got off work (maybe around 6?). I have to get mine at will call this year but I'll be going earlier just in case.

Based on your statement I would say later is better lol, all the people traveling in seem to get in around late morning to mid day and head there to get the badges out of the way :)

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • alchahestalchahest Edmonton, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hi, I've been googling around for the last few days - My friend bought our tickets (Will Call) with his CC, as I was at work. Now he's unable to go, and I've bought his tickets off of him for another friend. does this mean I can't go because the tickets were purchased under his name? How can I use the tickets I've paid for?

thank you!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Have your friend contact pax_questions@paxsite.com and see if they can be transferred into your name so you can pick them up. Also, your friend could have them shipped instead, and then hand them to you.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    alchahest wrote: »
    Hi, I've been googling around for the last few days - My friend bought our tickets (Will Call) with his CC, as I was at work. Now he's unable to go, and I've bought his tickets off of him for another friend. does this mean I can't go because the tickets were purchased under his name? How can I use the tickets I've paid for?

thank you!

Contact pax_questions@paxsite.com. They might let you claim them with a photocopy of your friend's driver's license or some other proof of ID.

• alchahestalchahest Edmonton, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Thanks - I can't seem to fins a way to change the method from will-call to shipped - is it possible for them to be shipped to Canada? This is the first year (of nearly ten years trying) I've been able to get tickets, so I'm just nervous that we screwed it up by having him purchase with his card instead of mine, now that he can't make it. Accommodations and transportation are already booked, I'm nearly a thousand dollars into this at this point, so I'm really hoping this can all be sorted out.

-edit-
    didn't see the replies when typing that - thank you all, I'll have my friend email them directly. I appreciate your help. hope I see some of you in september!

alchahest on
  • solomon123solomon123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    d

solomon123 on
    xg81x9uysw01.png
  • TsunamiHolmesTsunamiHolmes Registered User new member
    Would it be appropriate to wear my Doctor Who cosplay, even if it isn't really a game?

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    One beautiful soul goes in Carl Brutananadilewski cosplay. Wear anything awesome.

• beowuffbeowuff Registered User regular
    Doctor Who isn't a game?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doctor_Who_Role_Playing_Game

And yes, it is appropriate. PAX isn't JUST about gaming. It's about geek things and making friends!

• TsunamiHolmesTsunamiHolmes Registered User new member
    beowuff wrote: »
    Doctor Who isn't a game?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doctor_Who_Role_Playing_Game

And yes, it is appropriate. PAX isn't JUST about gaming. It's about geek things and making friends!

Thanks!! It's my first time, so excited!!

• CKingCKing Registered User regular
    I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. Would it be a good idea to request a medical badge? I'm only bringing some of my braces, and opting out of trying to travel with my wheelchair or crutches. Are there really any benefits? I'm not looking to line jump or anything like that, just wondering if it would help if I'm by myself and something dislocates.

I generally suggest that anyone with a mobility impairment or potential mobility issue get a medical badge. It is used primarily for panel theaters and the main theater. Usually those who have them are given a place to sit (read: a chair) while the line is waiting instead of waiting inside the queue itself. One still needs to show up before the line caps, and all that. Also those with medical badges are given the opportunity to find a seat before that queue lets in, which is helpful to find a place to sit that will agree with whatever potential mobility issue one might have.

Whether or not that is a useful prospect for you personally, is up to you. For an official answer or more information, email pax_questions@paxsite.com

• CKingCKing Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I generally suggest that anyone with a mobility impairment or potential mobility issue get a medical badge. It is used primarily for panel theaters and the main theater. Usually those who have them are given a place to sit (read: a chair) while the line is waiting instead of waiting inside the queue itself. One still needs to show up before the line caps, and all that. Also those with medical badges are given the opportunity to find a seat before that queue lets in, which is helpful to find a place to sit that will agree with whatever potential mobility issue one might have.

Whether or not that is a useful prospect for you personally, is up to you. For an official answer or more information, email pax_questions@paxsite.com

I didn't even think about the possibility of something to sit on. That's a definite issue every year I've gone. I've cried after waiting in line and standing for hours.

Do I need to include my husband in the email because he's with me? Or is it not needed since I'm the one with the mobility issues?

zerzhul on
    You shouldn't need to include him in the email. They should give you instructions on what you will need to do.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Re: Places to sit

I've seen a few attendees bring these things to PAX and they seem to work a treat for when you're just absolutely sick of standing or sitting on the floor.

https://www.amazon.com/TravelChair-Slacker-Chair-Folding-Tripod/dp/B01BBX9NJS

wWuzwvJ.png
  • tonyctonyc Registered User new member
    edited June 2016
    when is the best time to drive to and from pax? is there heavier traffic times?

tonyc on
  • DaPaladinDaPaladin Registered User regular
    I've driven in several years from Bellingham each day and in the past it wasn't too big of a hassle if you left early enough. Usually little to no traffic and the nearby parking lots had plenty of spaces. The one thing to be aware of is the the parking lots cost more during the week, so Friday and Monday are more expensive. Its not for everyone and our group hasn't done it the past two years, but it can be done.

jparp8146qaj.png
  • zenprimezenprime That Cat that ain't a Cat T-Town, WARegistered User regular
    tonyc wrote: »
    when is the best time to drive to and from pax? is there heavier traffic times?

I've done the Tacoma to Seattle and back PAX shuffle for several years on and off, and generally only the Friday AM traffic has the possibility to be horrible due to it being a work day. But it really depends on what on you want to do at PAX. If you're planning on maximizing your time, you'll probably be showing up early and leaving late, meaning not much real traffic and easy parking.

It really adds to the weariness though if you've commuting about an hour each way though.

PAXing till I Plotz
    xSBUZyE.png
    PAX Weast 2017 Status: Badges [X] Room [X] Fried Rice [X]
  • CodextehFishCodextehFish Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've been coming down from Vancouver the past few years driving. You want to try and time it so you arrive before 1 or after 7 on the Thursday. Getting caught in the I-5 crush and playing "spot the PAX goers" is fun and all, but it can be a drain on whoever is driving.

Attendee:
    Prime: '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15
    West: '16, '17
    East: '14, '15, '16, '17
    South: '15, '16, '17, '18
  • dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    Can we get someone that can help out with hotel issues in this thread page 4 please? sheraton and onpeak issues. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/205388/west-2016-hotel-partners-are-now-live/p4

Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
    edited July 2016
    Can we get someone that can help out with hotel issues in this thread page 4 please? sheraton and onpeak issues. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/205388/west-2016-hotel-partners-are-now-live/p4
    Posting it in this thread isn't increasing your exposure. I am certain those who can be notified have been. For direct contact with pax, email pax_questions@paxsite.com.

zerzhul on
  • Nathan WindNathan Wind Colorado Springs, CORegistered User regular
    Any idea when the reclaimed passes will go up for sale? Last year it was on 30 June. Maybe this week since passes went on sale later than usual?

PAX Prime 14, 15
    PAX West 16, 17
    My Rig: I7 7700K, Aorus K5, 32GB RipJaws V, Samsung 960 PCIe 256 & 500, Zotac 1080Ti
    I think it will be a surprise to everyone whenever it happens. Keep watching the pax twitter!

• Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Are badges still shipped via DHL or something other then USPS/Canada post to Canada?, with the possable strike coming up makes me wonder if i should look into switching to Will Call if that is the case.

Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • DapperPumpkinDapperPumpkin Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Sgt.Mays wrote: »
    Are badges still shipped via DHL or something other then USPS/Canada post to Canada?, with the possable strike coming up makes me wonder if i should look into switching to Will Call if that is the case.
    It was DHL last year. Won't be USPS/Canada Post.

DapperPumpkin on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I've always picked up mine from Will Call instead of having them shipped to Canada, but in the past it has been a courier service. I remember FedEx being used in years past as well.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • SupaNovaSupaNova Registered User regular
    I need help - I received an e-mail stating my PAX badges are being refunded because of an over purchase. I did not order more than 4 of any given day, and I didn't even max out all of the days. The only thing I can think of is that I live in Canada, and to save on shipping + to avoid any customs issues or Canada Post issues losing packages or not arriving on time, everything I buy in the US I ship to a pick up address in Sumas. I've never had a problem doing this in the past, as I can just run across the border and pick them up, which includes doing this last year, and as far as I know there's no policy against doing this. My billing/home address doesn't even have any badges shipped to it, so it's not like I'm trying to work around something, it's just safer for me to do it this way! How do I get this fixed??? Had I known this would be a problem, I would have just paid the extra money and shipped to my billing/home address, but again, I had no problems doing it last year, so I don't understand why I'm having problems now! The response I'm getting is - You violated a policy, we're not going to help you. I've been going to PAX since 2008 and am really upset about this, because now, if either me or my friends want to go, we're going to have to turn to scalpers, which is unfortunate because I'm assuming that's what they're trying to stop by doing this.

What do I do?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Right there with u bud, all my passes were refunded even though they were within the four pass per day limit and sent to my billing/home address. So frustrating because there is NO ONE to talk to who can resolve it. Worst customer service ever....aimed at scalpers but screwing over honest folks who want to attend Pax

PAX Prime 14, 15
    PAX West 16, 17
    My Rig: I7 7700K, Aorus K5, 32GB RipJaws V, Samsung 960 PCIe 256 & 500, Zotac 1080Ti
    Keep calling the Reed Pop cust service number 877-674-8241. They open again 9am EST on Monday. Besides trying to get my passes back need to ask if I can order some during the resale or if those would get flagged too.

PAX Prime 14, 15
    PAX West 16, 17
    Right there with u bud, all my passes were refunded even though they were within the four pass per day limit and sent to my billing/home address. So frustrating because there is NO ONE to talk to who can resolve it. Worst customer service ever....aimed at scalpers but screwing over honest folks who want to attend Pax

No kidding, that's so frustrating!! Good luck, I've been e-mailing the Reed Pop PAX email plus CCing the PAX site email, and yeah, I'm getting nowhere. They replied once with "You violated our policy" and haven't replied to any of my followup e-mails. And yeah, that was what I was wondering too! It's like, okay, well, you made a mistake, I didn't order over the amount, so what happens if I'm able to order again and once again order the exact same amount? Let me know if you find anything out, I'm starting to feel pretty helpless right about now!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    SupaNova wrote: »
    I need help - I received an e-mail stating my PAX badges are being refunded because of an over purchase. I did not order more than 4 of any given day, and I didn't even max out all of the days. The only thing I can think of is that I live in Canada, and to save on shipping + to avoid any customs issues or Canada Post issues losing packages or not arriving on time, everything I buy in the US I ship to a pick up address in Sumas. I've never had a problem doing this in the past, as I can just run across the border and pick them up, which includes doing this last year, and as far as I know there's no policy against doing this.
    This isn't going to help you much, but a couple potential reasons: Some limited ticket sales companies will refuse shipping addresses to known reshipment companies, as those are often used to get around the rules. Or maybe someone else ordered passes to that same place, thus pushing the "per household" number beyond the limit.

SupaNova wrote: »
    I need help - I received an e-mail stating my PAX badges are being refunded because of an over purchase. I did not order more than 4 of any given day, and I didn't even max out all of the days. The only thing I can think of is that I live in Canada, and to save on shipping + to avoid any customs issues or Canada Post issues losing packages or not arriving on time, everything I buy in the US I ship to a pick up address in Sumas. I've never had a problem doing this in the past, as I can just run across the border and pick them up, which includes doing this last year, and as far as I know there's no policy against doing this.
    This isn't going to help you much, but a couple potential reasons: Some limited ticket sales companies will refuse shipping addresses to known reshipment companies, as those are often used to get around the rules. Or maybe someone else ordered passes to that same place, thus pushing the "per household" number beyond the limit.

That's understandable, but they won't even say if that's what the problem was, nor will they look into my argument that I don't even have any badges shipped to my home address. I appreciate the info, though - obviously I'll avoid this in the future in case that's what happened, but it's horrible customer service that they refuse to explain in full why my tickets were canceled, and maybe had they had a warning up about it I would have either shipped to my home address or picked up at will call. What's really frustrating is that some people had their badges changed to will call, I don't know why they would outright cancel some but change others. The lack of explanation I guess is the most frustrating part of this whole experience, I've been going to PAX since 2008 (only missed one year), and now this happens :( multiple emails have gotten me zero additional info.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zach.Reflect959Zach.Reflect959 Registered User new member
    I need to change the name on my tickets at will call, has anybody done this successfully before?

I need to change the name on my tickets at will call, has anybody done this successfully before?
    You could try to do this through showclix, but I'm not sure it will work. Contact pax_questions@paxsite.com

• divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

Hi there! I'm legally blind, not a mobility issue, but because of my blindness I tend to build elaborate costumes with masks/headpieces since I can't see more than a few feet anyway (I have albinism, and the darkened inside of a mask actually helps improve vision, if only slightly).

I'll be bringing Ratchet and Clank, I can take my head off of course, and even detach Clank's so I don't block people's vision behind me. Should I get a medical badge? I have proof (and my glasses themselves are proof enough even without doctor's notes which I keep on hand at all times anyway. I won't be able to see much in panels anyway, but it is nice to be able to sit close enough to even see a tiny bit, but I don't want to be 'that guy'.

I don't know, I would email pax_questions@paxsite.com for guidance on that. I don't see why it would be a problem, but the only thing I am knowledge about is the benefit regarding mobility.

• Joe.EXEJoe.EXE Registered User regular
    Hello!

Joe.EXE again, I was wondering what the policy on hug signs (i.e. FREE HUGS!) is at PAX. I know at Sakura Con the rule is you can't have any signs soliciting services but you can have signs saying "Will accept hugs." and things similar to that.

Thank you everyone for your time, and have a wonderful day!

Regards,
    Joe.EXE

edited July 2016
    Joe.EXE wrote: »
    Hello!

Joe.EXE again, I was wondering what the policy on hug signs (i.e. FREE HUGS!) is at PAX. I know at Sakura Con the rule is you can't have any signs soliciting services but you can have signs saying "Will accept hugs." and things similar to that.

Thank you everyone for your time, and have a wonderful day!

Regards,
    Joe.EXE
    I don't know of a specific policy regarding this. Solicitation would be an issue, but wearing a sign about hugs doesn't sound like solicitation to me.
    In general, I would refer to the following policies: http://west.paxsite.com/safety-and-security

zerzhul on