As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Team Fortress 2

ButtersButters A glass of some milksRegistered User regular
edited January 2008 in Social Entropy++
SE Steam Community and Penny Arcade Community.

Let's keep it going.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
Butters on

• Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    every day I pray to god that there is another "Meet the ___"

nope

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah that kind of sucks. Maybe it's because they are too buys working on bugs?
    Pfft

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really hope the next video is of the spy. Pyro would also be good, but I'll accept medic or scout. >_>

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited November 2007
    scout I can wait on. sniper too, kinda.

pyro could be awesome or could be pretty weak, spy is going to be so, so cool, and medic will be pretty good (in my opinion, naturally)

edit: uneducated opinion woo

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh god I hate primed backstabs... Got stabbed in the face with my crosshair over the spy and copped a backstab. Easily would've finished him off ...

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I keep thinking "I'll play a whole round as this class" but I get in and get sick of it, or the team doesn't have enough medics, and I go "Well I guess I'll heal..." and I end up just doing that for the next couple rounds.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Haven't played since release day.. any patches since then?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, one or two I think. That and a bunch of custom levels I downloaded but never played except for the duel map.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The only patch I have much memory of is the class-wide patch that made it impossible for most classes to swap a weapon immediately after firing. This disabled snipers from getting off scope shots too frequently ,and also stopped spies from stabbing an engineer and immediately sapping his gun afterwards (Which is stupid cause that's only possible if you can get behind both of them)

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    no patch has been as influential as the late-beta demoman nerf

lord that changed everything

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I recently got a new computer that runs this game pretty well, it was painful on my old one. Only problem is it crashes whenever a server changes maps, not sure why, only thing I've come across is it might be because of Vista. Anyways imma join the SE++ group, my name on TF2 is radicalrobot. I'm pretty lousy at the game but hopefully I'll get better.

Octopus Melody on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    no patch has been as influential as the late-beta demoman nerf

lord that changed everything

What WAS that nerf, anyway? I heard about that but I wasn't told the details.

Goatmon on

• Options
    MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hooray for another thread!

I had the most posts in the last one at 172.

I think that's a record for me.

Also I wish I could play right now but I'm watching some recorded The Office before going to bed.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Demoman pipebombs used to explode on impact with a player or building however long they had been bouncing or rolling; made it pretty damn easy to just fire 4 into a squad of enemies and be pretty sure you'd take a few out.

They changed it so they would only explode with a direct hit, but that completely fucked up sentry gun demolition at range etc; now its bounces and explodes, but only one bounce.

I dunno though, the pyro update was pretty fucking influential too I reckon
    (<- pyro convert)

Fletcher on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    yeah that's true it made pyros a lot more useful

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It took me until yesterday to realise that if there is a sentry gun right around a corner pressed against the wall (ooh, nice hiding place), you can run out with the flame on and circle it, and it takes so long to respond that you can flame it goooood.

Engineers tremble at tales of my holy flame.

Fletcher on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    or you can just shoot flames "through" the wall at it

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fuck people who play this on the 360 and use glitches to their advantage. :| One hit punch-kills with the Heavy? Fuck you guys.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited November 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    ProcrastinatorProcrastinator Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am being an achievement whore and demanding you fuckers added me as steam friends so I can finally get the "With Friends Like These" achievement.

And oh god this game is so great why am I not playing right now?

Procrastinator on
    plan.jpg
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    maybe they should make it so that demoman grenades explode on contact with engineer-built structures even after the bounce, but not with players unless it hasn't yet bounced

I think there's a need for that, and it would fit with their purpose (I mean, demolition? with that name, they really should be better at taking out sentries)

redhead on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do you know anything about critical hits, Metzger

No, I do. I wasn't aware that a critical hit with your melee was a one-hit kill. I heard one guy on my team say they were exploiting these glitches off of youtube and I was frustrated enough with my connection speed and my own poor performance to be pissed at about anything.

"Man, that kitten is cute."

"GOD, STUPID FUCKING BABY CAT, GRAR."

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited November 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Fletcher wrote: »
    It took me until yesterday to realise that if there is a sentry gun right around a corner pressed against the wall (ooh, nice hiding place), you can run out with the flame on and circle it, and it takes so long to respond that you can flame it goooood.

Engineers tremble at tales of my holy flame.

I thank all the people who taught me very early on about what sort of places are really bad places to put sentries. It's also fun to take that knowledge as a soldier and make other engineers cry.

Things like shooting through a window at the far end of the map (point b, on gravel pit) to nail a gun that's in the middle of the front doorway. Yeah, that's a great spot for it, now go build another one cutie pie.

Man I am such a mediocre spy

seriously how do people know it's me every time

It takes a lot of practice, and sometimes a lot of luck. No amount of patience will prevent you getting caught if someone just happens to bump into you as you come around a corner, especially if that someone happens to be a soldier/pyro.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Do you know anything about critical hits, Metzger

No, I do. I wasn't aware that a critical hit with your melee was a one-hit kill. I heard one guy on my team say they were exploiting these glitches off of youtube and I was frustrated enough with my connection speed and my own poor performance to be pissed at about anything.

"Man, that kitten is cute."

"GOD, STUPID FUCKING BABY CAT, GRAR."

There is (or was the glitch) where you swapped weapon half way through a melee attack, I think, didn't try it personally, then once you swap back you get an instant attack and can do another attack as well. So double heavy punch... still don't know how much that is. Spies could use that to stab from either cloak or disguise without break it :/

Also the weird priming a backstab so you can stab anyone from any position and it will still register a backstab seems to still be in the game, pretty sure I took one of those today, not 100% sure though.

But if you were a scout or something its quite probable the melee crit will just one shot you, ran up to a demo for a point blank scatter and took a bottle crit and just died from 125. It sucked hard.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Every time someone on my team asks if there are grenades in the game, I just kind of slump.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Every time someone on my team asks if there are grenades in the game, I just kind of slump.

Apparently the grenades in TFC we're cool :(, never caught onto that game while it was popular though oh well.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Gonna kill some people tonight, I guess.

I was playing so horrible last time.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Me too.

Butters on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'll be on tonight as well.

M.D. on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Anyone know a good TF2 tech forum? Last night my lag spikes were fucking me harder than ever before.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Uh...

The official forum, maybe?

Also, these days I lose the connection to the servers pretty often.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    I got more points as a medic (ended up topping the score table) as I have in 8 hours of play as a soldier.

I like to kill things, but man do points rack up when you keep your entire team alive (apart from one) in a round of Well (or was it Granary?) sudden death.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    I don't know how you play Spy so much/well PotU, I have no patience for it and there's been so many situations where I've been screwed out of a kill for some glitch.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I've been trying to get better at demo and I'm actually doing okay in a few specific instances with him, but I'll usually be at the bottom of the points table. Then I switch to soldier or pyro next round and get tons of captures and kills. I really wanted to be a well-rounded player but it's not happening yet.

I can pretty much only play spy on attack/defend maps where there are necessarily going to be a lot of engineer bases set up. I need easy targets, I think.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    bombardier wrote: »
    I don't know how you play Spy so much/well PotU, I have no patience for it and there's been so many situations where I've been screwed out of a kill for some glitch.

You get used to the dying. And that sometimes you're backstabs just don't work. And that people see you even though you're miles away from them and cloaked.

The most satisfying is when you're behind the enemy lines and just stab your way through them.

And killing Flippy_D all the time, that's awesome.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    PotU wrote: »
    bombardier wrote: »

You get used to the dying. And that sometimes you're backstabs just don't work. And that people see you even though you're miles away from them and cloaked.

The most satisfying is when you're behind the enemy lines and just stab your way through them.

And killing Flippy_D all the time, that's awesome.

Killing Flippy is my favorite part of spying.

M.D. on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    More people should play on JonXP's server.

Job's full of stupid mods like melee only SD and map change timer and shit. And no 2fort.

2fort is actually pretty great when you play it for a while.

But fuck Well so hard in all it's ovaries.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I guess I'll play on JonXp now since I love me some 2fort.

But I do like melee SD as well

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    jesus, why do people hate 2Fort so much

it's no worse than Hydro or Granary when the teams are unbalanced

these guys need to add in some custom CTF maps if 2Fort is so bad

melee SD is the way to go, though

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg