As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MSPA & Undertale] Yes, Homestuck is actually over | Vol. 10 out now

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    06388.gif

arguably the best image homestuck has ever produced

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i laughed at it for several minutes straight last night and it's still making me crack up

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    WV/the mayor is the best character in homestuck

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Everyone loves the Mayor.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited July 2016
    speaking of the mayor

Episode 10: Let Me Tell You About Can Town

00710.gif
    It's time to get Ashley formally acquainted with the secret best character in Homestuck, the Wawyward Vagabond. Luke and Ashley boggle vacantly at his shenanigans as he constructs an elaborate fantasy of municipal democracy, inadvertantly forshadows details of events to come, makes friends with a cute little firefly, and eats every vaguely green-colored object in sight.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    so I'm gonna leave this outside of spoilers because ashley's well past this point

but this page has got me thinking about WV's pawn revolution

and it's got me thinking about how it's established that every session has a Jack and his crew, and how players could take advantage of that (as the trolls do)

so presumably there's also always a WV (and a PM and an AR) and players could potentially form an alliance with him to take out the black king

and just... MAN there's so much about the mechanics and potential of SBURB that I want to see explored further

I want a fucking homestuck extended universe

and I know it flies in the face of the themes of predestination and time shenanigans, but I still *really* want a tabletop SBURB system

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    so I'm gonna leave this outside of spoilers because ashley's well past this point

and it's got me thinking about how it's established that every session has a Jack and his crew, and how players could take advantage of that (as the trolls do)

so presumably there's also always a WV (and a PM and an AR) and players could potentially form an alliance with him to take out the black king

and just... MAN there's so much about the mechanics and potential of SBURB that I want to see explored further

and I know it flies in the face of the themes of predestination and time shenanigans, but I still *really* want a tabletop SBURB system

a hypothetical SBURB roguelike with procedurally generated planets and weapons that you can combine arbitrarily would be super cool

• Options

Well, if Hiveswap does well, we could totally see some of these ideas explored by What Pumpkin.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    So uh, is there going to be a new thread after this?

I would really hate to no post my thoughts on the ending after all this time.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    the clubs deuce world tour will be continuing for like 5-10 more years

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    We'll need a new thread for the epilogue and Hiveswap. The Ride Never Ends.

Moth 13 on
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

Take over the podcast thread

Rule it with an iron fist

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Pay me in love and i will make a great Homestuck card Game.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

undertale's a pretty popular game no reason not to have a thread for it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    If we didn't have an Undertale thread, I'd have nowhere to have sudden hot fridge realizations.

• Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular

I've thought a little bit about how you might design a tabletop SBURB system, but I have a lot of trouble imagining how it would work in practice. To really capture the spirit of Homestuck the rules would need to be needlessly complicated. Like, the kind of system where the players spend an hour just trying to figure out how their randomly assigned sylladex systems work. But in practice, that wouldn't be fun to play. Finding the right balance between "feels like Homestuck" and "is a good game" would be difficult.

One approach that might be neat would be to make a distinction in the rules between the players and the player characters. Frame it so that instead of "You" being one of kids playing SBURB, "You" are one of the chess pawns directing a kid playing SBURB, who under certain circumstances might not do what you say. It retains the "you are inputting commands for someone else to follow" aspect of Homestuck and opens up opportunities for random nonsense to happen that you didn't intend.

I've already put too much thought into this.

I have a twitter.
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

a hypothetical SBURB roguelike with procedurally generated planets and weapons that you can combine arbitrarily would be super cool

You'd probably have to get rid of the "need a time and a space player to win" thing for any free form style game adaptation.

I never really liked that bit of lore anyway though.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    presumably the DM could fill in time or space players as NPCs if none of the actual players want those roles

• Options
    Those would be awful important NPCs.

Better just to ignore it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Adjust the lore such that other aspects can fit that role. Surely stuff like breath or life could become a proper frog breeder, for example.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    i don't know what kind of sburb system you guys are thinking of emulating

just kill off all your players

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Also the space player always has to be living by a volcano or else you can't win? That seems somewhat limiting.

• Options
    Also dump most of the classes being tied to gender. That was a real stupid idea.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Also the space player always has to be living by a volcano or else you can't win? That seems somewhat limiting.

Kanaya's hive isn't anywhere near a volcano. If the player doesn't live by one, the player's land will presumably generate one anyway.

EDIT: Never mind, apparently her forge was buried in the desert nearby.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options

See, you're ignoring/forgetting the relationship Sburb has with causality. If you're going to play Sburb, you will have been set up since birth to play this game, including any contrivances needed for you to fulfill your in-game role.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    the players initially only being able to interact through the internet or some equivalent would make the early game pretty compelling, I think

• Options

See, you're ignoring/forgetting the relationship Sburb has with causality. If you're going to play Sburb, you will have been set up since birth to play this game, including any contrivances needed for you to fulfill your in-game role.

??? We're talking about restrictions the setting has on creating whatever kind of character you want.

• Options
    This Gamzee/Terezi shit is real bad.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Yeah it's way more uncomfortable than I remember it being

I don't know why he felt the need to state that Gamzee was physically abusing Terezi immediately before he beats the shit out of her for like 30 pages

It turns what could be a funny, dramatic, visually interesting scene into something incredibly uncomfortable and gross

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    There's so much good stuff going on there, just the ways the glitches are used to show transitions or show what characters are seeing/thinking. There's a lot of good funny stuff and then in the middle of it there's Terezi apologizing to Gamzee after he fucked her up for years and then just panel after panel of her getting the shit beat out of her.

Then they try to make it a silly joke and it just makes it look worse.

The air was pretty much sucked out of both our rooms.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    FINALLY

CAN TOWN

(man, act 6 ... I know people say it reads better in an archive trawl, but it's like, early HS was 99% good shit to 1% problematic shit but in Act 6 the ratio has swung way closer to like, 70-30 or something and man. Man.)

• Options
    Yeah act 6 definitely has more low points than the rest of the comic

It's not enough to sink the whole thing for me but I can see now how it would be

Which is a shame because I think the good stuff in act 6 is really good

• Options
    In other, still sad news these two lines killed me.

ca19fheepaej.png

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    at some point homestuck stopped trying to strike a balance between commentary on game systems/programming and game narratives (which is easily my favorite iteration of homestuck) and just starts commenting on narratives at large (which is when it loses me)

• Options
    at some point homestuck stopped trying to strike a balance between commentary on game systems/programming and game narratives (which is easily my favorite iteration of homestuck) and just starts commenting on narratives at large (which is when it loses me)

Yeah see i completely that shit up

• Options
    The whole thing?

• Options
    The commentary on narratives

Please infuse your story with as much literature 101 bullshit as possible I love it

This discussion has been closed.