As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny] Rise of Iron: "Wizirds are the worst. The WORST."

GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles PaesanoRegistered User regular
edited September 2016 in Games and Technology
We called it the Traveler, and its arrival changed us forever. Great cities were built on Mars and Venus; Mercury became a garden world. Human lifespan tripled. It was a time of miracles. We stared out at the galaxy and knew that it was our Destiny to walk in the light of other stars.

But the Traveler had an enemy. A Darkness - which had hunted it for eons, across the black gulfs of space, centuries after our Golden Age began. This Darkness... found us. And that was the end of everything.

That is, until Peter Dinklage Nolan North found you, Guardian!

7wqy627to2qz.jpg

Destiny: Penny Arcade G&T Saves the Universe and Everything in It is an online multiplayer action role-playing sci-fi-fantasy *deep breath* first-person shooter for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360 and the first title in a proposed 10-year, zillion-dollar franchise from Bungie and Activision. It’s MMO-like – think gear, skill trees, leveling up, and party play – with an emphasis on exploration and discovery. As of September 15, 2015, we have entered Year Two of Destiny, which has ushered in a host of new content, quality of life changes, UI improvements, weapon balance tweaks, and whole new ways to play. At its core, Destiny is still a cooperative role-playing FPS with levels and rep to grind and new and exciting gear and weapons to seek out. But it's getting a whole lot bigger with version 2.0 and its biggest expansion yet, The Taken King.

Still relevant: The game is set in our own solar system, 700 years in the future, following a prosperous period of exploration and colonization ushered in by the arrival of the “Traveler,” a mysterious celestial body (pictured above). The Golden Age came to an abrupt end as a result of a momentous event called “the Collapse,” a calamity that wiped out human colonies everywhere. Humanity has retreated to the Last City on Earth, our shared home and the launching point for our journey back to the stars, and from within its walls, we have begun to rebuild. We have begun to fight back. But even as we stand tall, our Light visible in the canyons and craters of far-off worlds, blinding our enemies with its brilliance, the Darkness threatens to close in around us. And everything we know about our enemy is about to change.

destiny-the-taken-king-listing-thumb-01-us-16jun15?$Icon$

The Taken King

In Year One of Destiny, we the Wise and Noble Guardians of Pax Arcadia traveled through space and time in defense of Human, Awoken, and Exo, rising to meet every challenge and ultimately emerging from a year's worth of adventures bearing the spoils of war and the bounty of exotic weapons, sturdy and stylish armor, fortune, and fame. Today, the Tower stands because of the bravery and sacrifice of our ranks. Our legend is known far and wide across the bloodied fields of the Crucible. We have earned the favor of the Queen and now protect her Reef from those who would tear it apart.

At times, our successes seemed inevitable, almost routine. We traveled backward and forward through time; we crushed our foes underfoot in encounter after encounter; we destroyed the heart of a god - more than once. But we faced trials as well, true challenges that required complete cooperation and tested our limits, especially when we plunged into the depths of the Dark Below and stood face-to-hideous-face with Crota, Hive Prince and Son of Oryx. In time, he fell like the rest. We took his wretched, cursed husk and held it aloft as a trophy.

Now a deeper Darkness stirs. From the shadows beyond, Oryx himself has learned of our triumph, and he will not abide our insolence, our courage - our Legend. He is assembling a mysterious, twisted force that he plans to unleash upon our world. It is our duty to stop him. Prepare yourselves, Arcadians: the Taken King comes for us all.

destiny-thetakenking-screen-04-us-15jun15?$TwoColumn_Media$

Join the ranks of Pax Arcadia! Our clan is on both systems!
(and with the new firmware, we now have a PS4 Community!)

oys3p1lw64ty.png

We've assembled a Bungie.net group - and within that group, a PlayStation clan and an Xbox clan - so that PA G&Ters can play together. We're Pax Arcadia, and we're currently making our way through endgame content and crushing the Crucible in six-man fireteams on a nightly basis!

Edit (Sept. 22, 2015): We presently have room in the PA clan on Xbox One, but we're full up at the 100-person cap on the PS4 side for both PA and PA2. That being said, we're typically cycling people out for inactivity lasting over six months and spots tend to open up very frequently! Follow the instructions below!

To join:
1. Send @GMaster7 (on the PS side) or @ObiFett (on the Xbox side) - or preferably, both - a PM, letting us know that you're joining the group(s) and applying to the clan.
2. Join the Bungie.net group for Pax Arcadia (right here, at this link). If necessary, you can hit up the group for Pax Arcadia II (right here), either instead or in addition, and join that, too. You don't need admin approval to join the groups.
3. Once you're in one or both Bungie.net groups, click "Set as PlayStation Clan" in the banner if you're on PS3/PS4 or "Set as Xbox Clan" in Pax Arcadia's banner if you're on 360/XB1 to officially request admission to that group's respective clan (either PA or PA2). If you're on PSN, you'll probably need to apply to PA2, the overflow clan. If you're on Xbox, you can apply to PA and don't need to mess with PA2.
4. Add yourself to the Pax Arcadia Mega-Roster that we've created to keep track of membership. Use the tabs at the bottom to select your console, and put yourself at the bottom of your tab's list. We'll bump you up to your proper alphabetical placement.
5. If you've sent us a PM and added yourself to the Mega-Roster, we'll accept you as soon as we can.
6. Friend some PAers, hop online, and take to the skies in the name of Pax Arcadia!

Find teammates with The100.io!

If you're looking for teammates for any activity, check out PA's console-specific groups on The100.io, right here:
•Pax Arcadia - Xbox One: https://www.the100.io/groups/1397
•Pax Arcadia - Xbox 360: https://www.the100.io/groups/1398
•Pax Arcadia - PS4: https://www.the100.io/groups/1226

Keeping Track of Things

Guide for anyone getting back into the game, courtesy of reddit and shared with the thread by @Erevar

Destiny Item Manager: Use this Chrome extension to move items between characters and keep track of your gear and inventory! Has more functionality than Bungie.net and is super useful: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/destiny-item-manager/apghicjnekejhfancbkahkhdckhdagna?hl=en

Track your stats - everything you might ever want to know - here: http://www.destinytracker.com

Year Two Emblem Codes from TTK Collector's Edition (codes still being cracked):
3VF-LGC-RLX (Insula Thesauraria)
Redeem Here

Year One Shaders, Emblems, and Grimoire Codes:
Redeem here: http://www.bungie.net/en/User/coderedemption

YKA-RJG-MH9 (Grimoire: Warlock)
3DA-P4X-F6A (Grimoire: Titan)
MVD-4N3-NKH (Grimoire: Hunter)
TCN-HCD-TGY (Grimoire: Rixis)
HDX-ALM-V4K (Grimoire: Old Russia)
473-MXR-3X9 (Grimoire: Hive)
JMR-LFN-4A3 (Grimoire: Moon)
HC3-H44-DKC (Grimoire: Gjallorhorn)
69P-KRM-JJA (Grimoire: Duke MK.44)
69P-VCH-337 (Grimoire: The Tower)
69R-CKD-X7L (Grimoire: Ogre)
69R-DDD-FCP (Grimoire: Valley of the Kings, Mars)
69R-F99-AXG (Grimoire: The Fallen)
69R-VL7-J6A (Grimoire: Red Death)
69X-DJN-74V (Grimoire: The Cabal)
6A7-7NP-3X7 (Grimoire: The Devastated Coast)
6A9-DTG-YGN (Grimoire: Vex Minotaur)
7F9-767-F74 (Emblem: Sign of the Finite)
FJ9-LAM-67F (Emblem: Binding Focus)
JD7-4CM-HJG (Emblem: Illusion of Light)
JDT-NLC-JKM (Emblem: Ab Aeterno)
JNX-DMH-XLA (Emblem: Field of Light)
7CP-94V-LFP (Emblem: Lone Focus, Jagged Edge)
X4C-FGX-MX3 (Emblem: Note of Conquest)
X9F-GMA-H6D (Emblem: The Unimagined Plane)
N3L-XN6-PXF (Emblem: The Reflective Proof)
A7L-FYC-44X (Emblem: Flames of Forgotten Truth)
7MM-VPD-MHP (Shader: Double Banshee)
RXC-9XJ-4MH (Shader: Oracle 99)

Destiny-Massively-Successful-Over-5-Million-Unique-Twitch-Viewers-On-Week-One-459279-2.jpg

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
GMaster7 on

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I think @hoodie13 prepared some RoI-specific content for the OP. Hoodie, pass it along via PM or email if you'd like and I'll toss it in once I get home.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • BookerBooker Registered User regular
    Booker wrote: »
    An EX Rounds Colovance's Duty will also be more punishing, as both hits will flinch your target.

So the 335 covalence I had drop yesterday with explosive rounds, triple tap and third eye... Infusion fodder or worth keeping around?

!!!

That is the rifle that I want. Third Eye + Ex rds is god roll for crucible, Triple tap + 15 rd mag will make it excellent for boss damage.

@Custom Special

I've been giving you too much crap for not liking good guns. I was taught that for self-defense, your best pistol is your most comfortable pistol, because it will be your most accurate pistol. The same is true for Destiny, your best gun is your most comfortable. However, because we do not have the real-world difficulty of guns not matching hands, it behooves us to become familiar and comfortable with the best meta weapons. Like Hawksaw. Or Hawkmoon.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Basic Warlock question incoming... and I know I could answer my own question by just logging into destiny, but I'm in a rotation at work and might not be able to fire up my PS4 for a few days.

Sunbreakers give you extra duration on Solar grenades and a second solar grenade. Do I get a second of any of the three types of solar grenade, or literally two "solar grenades" only and one grenade if I pick firebolt or fusion?

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The latter, I think.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    It refers to the grenade known as a Solar Grenade. It's probably less confusing to Bungie, considering their Thermal nomenclature.

• GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    You only get double grenades of the first type of grenade in that column. You only get one if you choose either of the other types.

Well that's too bad.

Still a lot of fun chucking around little solar nova's though.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Will be around tonight for Trials if anyone wants some runs.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I decided to get some Universal Remote practice in. It did not turn out as expected...
    GdSmDHY.jpg

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Things I want to change in destiny, a running list:
    • Shotguns more consistent
    • No more sprint lock
    • Everyone has some sort of horizontal mobility mechanic
    • No more getting stuck on level geometry - like knee high dumb crap - if you hit something you slide off it, maybe after a jolt or a slight pause to punish insufficient map knowledge but I don't think that is necessary
    • Sticky grenades either have a greatly increased cool down compared to other grenades, work like scorch cannons, where to get a kill you have to hold the button for a fair while, or just don't OHK. Or all three. I hate them.
    • Snipers need to get a lot more flinch from being shot, maybe dropping out of ADS if you take a fair whack of damage. Or something that makes them less dominant
    • The last word needs to be launched into space as Bungy is categorically unable to balance it
    • Melee should work
    • Match making should make sensible decisions, like not creating unbalanced matches and then putting extras on the winning team

• ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    I missed you guys. <3

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Well, banged through rank 5 in a night on the hunter at least. Nirwen's with 3rd eye and counterbalance for package, grabbed the hat and the colovance's, which seems to be different than the last one? First match I played dropped me a 335 98% hat which was nice.

Nosf on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
  • HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    welp... looks like PvE got the fun boost again this week

Really all you'll need is a Zhalo for the nightfall (Valus) and also for the weekly heroics (Arc burn/Small arms).

As for the CoE, it's all about precision kills with Small Arms and Berserk as the mods, so Mida or Hawkmoon your asses off!

I'll be on tonight after work for whatever

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Sounds like some good PVE fun.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    An EX Rounds Colovance's Duty will also be more punishing, as both hits will flinch your target.

So the 335 covalence I had drop yesterday with explosive rounds, triple tap and third eye... Infusion fodder or worth keeping around?

!!!

That is the rifle that I want. Third Eye + Ex rds is god roll for crucible, Triple tap + 15 rd mag will make it excellent for boss damage.

@Custom Special

I've been giving you too much crap for not liking good guns. I was taught that for self-defense, your best pistol is your most comfortable pistol, because it will be your most accurate pistol. The same is true for Destiny, your best gun is your most comfortable. However, because we do not have the real-world difficulty of guns not matching hands, it behooves us to become familiar and comfortable with the best meta weapons. Like Hawksaw. Or Hawkmoon.

Being familiar with your weapon can easily be 25% of your skill level and ability. Often times I see people in games suggest you try to conform to the meta or use what is "good" when honestly to you and your style it might not be good.

Often times the concept of the meta forgets that people are different and have different things that will click for them.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Oh man

I expected to play/lose 9 times for that elimination quest for shaxx

But instead a guy with a trials emblem fucking went ham on three different groups and won three matches for me. Now I dont have to do elimination again!

And I got the Zen Meteor from an exotic engram! Woo!

Wassermelone on
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    I have a new goal!

That goal is to get three sets of titan Spektar armor, and three sets of chroma-enabled weapons (one for each element hopefully) and color them blue, orange, and magenta for arc/solar/void. Then I can setup loadouts through Ishtar Commander and switch to them on the fly when I switch subclasses!

Because I'm an insane person and spend a lot of time thinking about how to coordinate my look

I'm actually kinda close to being there! I have an Arc and Void Bane of the Taken, Solar and Void sidearms (though the roll on the Solar sidearm is traaaaaaaaash), and two sets of Spektar armor, one colored blue and the other green. The blue looks incredible with the Bane equipped, especially when I'm standing in shadows. I'll see if I can get some pics tonight.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Arteen wrote: »
    I decided to get some Universal Remote practice in. It did not turn out as expected...
    GdSmDHY.jpg

Every day I regret that I wasn't able to get on and make the coins needed to buy that when Xur had it.

Every. Day.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    I have a new goal!

That goal is to get three sets of titan Spektar armor, and three sets of chroma-enabled weapons (one for each element hopefully) and color them blue, orange, and magenta for arc/solar/void. Then I can setup loadouts through Ishtar Commander and switch to them on the fly when I switch subclasses!

Because I'm an insane person and spend a lot of time thinking about how to coordinate my look

I'm actually kinda close to being there! I have an Arc and Void Bane of the Taken, Solar and Void sidearms (though the roll on the Solar sidearm is traaaaaaaaash), and two sets of Spektar armor, one colored blue and the other green. The blue looks incredible with the Bane equipped, especially when I'm standing in shadows. I'll see if I can get some pics tonight.

I don't have separate weapon sets, but I do have unique armor sets for all of my warlock subclasses.

It was 100% worth the time to do.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    PS4 peeps, is there interest in doing VoG/Crota.
    Also holy shit we didn't do a Croata/Oryx Fathers Day Kill event.
    Suppose this week may be a good time for that. I'll try and nab some checkpoints if possible.

PSN: jfrofl
  • MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Suppose this week may be a good time for that. I'll try and nab some checkpoints if possible.

I'm always up for running hard mode Crota.

I want that ship baaad.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
    Dys wrote: »
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    I have a new goal!

I don't have separate weapon sets, but I do have unique armor sets for all of my warlock subclasses.

It was 100% worth the time to do.

I honestly wouldn't have thought to do unique weapon sets if chroma on weapons wasn't a thing, but boy howdy it looks really really good.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    IB match late in the weekend and I had a couple good sniper shots on Bannerfall. This is the only one I recorded: http://imgur.com/7CHpu7J
    It's by no means the best, but I burst out laughing after landing it just tracking him through the air for a solid couple seconds.

And I had similar Remote action to @cB557, mine was during the Inferno Control playlist a week or so back. http://imgur.com/srYGTag
    It feels so good when you just get to shoot fish in a barrel flanking up on a team like that.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636

I don't know about availability this week, but if around I'd love to knock out both VoG and Crota some time.

Never been inside either one.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular

I've never done any raids, and would love to give a shot to the normal mode of any of them.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Some streamer dude apparently hit trials near reset and got put into this weeks trials map.

Its going to be Widow's Court.

@Arteen @Local H Jay @Booker

Sirialis on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Some streamer dude apparently hit trials near reset and got put into this weeks trials map.

Its going to be Widow's Court.

@Arteen @Local H Jay @Booker

BOOOOOOOOOO

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    Mountaintop quest finished. It was honestly not that hard except for some of the early salvage mode stuff where you actually had to do objectives and every team I ran into were Trials pros. Of course, this is after the changes to the original Mountaintop questline which good fucking lord I'm glad I didn't have to do that

Now I just need Challenge/HM Oryx and Ill be ready for the rumored y2 moments of triumph

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I hate precision bonus.

It is the least exploitable and the most likely to require bonus runs.

I've never done any raids, and would love to give a shot to the normal mode of any of them.

Just a note: while HM of earlier raids still penalize death in a stupid manner, none of the encounters are as punishing for people learning the raid as those in King's Fall. I bring this up only because it's more likely that we'd be doing HM Classic Raids, as folks like Holy would be doing it in part for the HM specific drops.

So, if you see folks organizing a HM VOG or HM Crota, don't be afraid to sign up. Assuming a given groups has 3+ players familiar with the raid, they can each be completed in about an hour, though VOG has some possible speedbumps along the way.

• HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I hate precision bonus.

one guy runs around pegging shit with an auto rifle but never killing, another tags ones not yet tagged while finishing off guys with precision and the last guy focuses solely on precision kills using mida or Hawkmoon or whatever their precision favorite is...

saw teams this morning easily hitting 60-70k a full run

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
    Best part of Trials last night was shotgunning some Sunbreaker as he came out of a door and putting him down, then laying down a shadowshot on a Stormtrancing warlock seconds later as he came out the same door. NO FUN ALLOWED.

HooverFan wrote: »
    I hate precision bonus.

one guy runs around pegging shit with an auto rifle but never killing, another tags ones not yet tagged while finishing off guys with precision and the last guy focuses solely on precision kills using mida or Hawkmoon or whatever their precision favorite is...

Right, but that works for literally any, more or less and requires too much collaboration.

• molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    i got to 5 on iron banner yesterday and picked up a ghost that was a solid upgrade on my last. so without thinking i equip it and destroy my old ghost. it was then that i realised i destroyed a 335 ghost for a 320...

yessss. i've never done crota before so i'd love to see that. and i really should get that VoG quest to get that exotic (ntte?) one day too. i've also never done the original prison of elder raids (skolas and friends) either so if there's interest in doing those count me in

battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
    HooverFan wrote: »
    I hate precision bonus.

Right, but that works for literally any, more or less and requires too much collaboration.

yeah if i have to talk to someone while doing challenge then i consider that run a failure.

@hoodiethirteen
    moleface wrote: »
    i got to 5 on iron banner yesterday and picked up a ghost that was a solid upgrade on my last. so without thinking i equip it and destroy my old ghost. it was then that i realised i destroyed a 335 ghost for a 320...

yessss. i've never done crota before so i'd love to see that. and i really should get that VoG quest to get that exotic (ntte?) one day too. i've also never done the original prison of elder raids (skolas and friends) either so if there's interest in doing those count me in

Skolas is not anything interesting, but I will admit that Queen's Web is a top-notch shader in the Destiny Fashion metagame.

Sounds like week one.

*clackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclack* your way to victory.

I really enjoyed the Skolas fight when it was hard

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Looking back on it that fight was just around the line for being too brittle. With sunsingers it was fine but without them it could be wipe time if the wrong person died at the wrong time. Still, I remember plenty of recoveries even with pubbie groups.

Which is my chief complaint with Raid design right now. Execution has to be perfect or it fucks the entire encounter which is really not a Great Moments Generator.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
This discussion has been closed.