As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

7 Days to Die

CogliostroCogliostro Marginal OpinionsSpring, TXRegistered User regular
edited March 2014 in Games and Technology
Looked for it on the forums and couldn't find anything.

header_g.png
Building on survivalist and horror themes, players in 7 Days to Die can scavenge the abandoned cities of the buildable and destructable voxel world for supplies or explore the wilderness to gather raw materials to build their own tools, weapons, traps, fortifications and shelters.

Is anybody playing this yet? It's a Minecraft-esque survival horror with a little better graphics. It is in the Alpha stages right now but is still extremely playable. I've only noticed a couple of minor bugs. You have to buy it (unlike Minecraft) but Steam has it on sale right now for $19.99. I want to get on a dedicated server before I get too much more into it. So far the crafting system is as complex as Minecraft. It might even be a little more so since you can craft modern weapons and armor - which require molds, smelting, etc.

Website

Crafting Wiki

Internal Forums

Watch a guy and his son scream like little bitches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxnYQCdUD34

Cogliostro on

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Has the developer said what they feel sets their game apart from something like Rust?
    You have to buy it (unlike Minecraft) but Steam has it on sale right now for $19.99.

To be fair, you do have to pay for Minecraft and to my knowledge always have.

Dhalphir on
  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    OH! That's right I guess you do. I forgot about that for the full version.

And no they haven't as far as I can tell. I'm just really surprised that there aren't more people here playing it.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I looked into it but all I read said it was terrible.

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I think the market is pretty much saturated with these janky pre-release survival games right now, but that's just me.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I've never been able to take this game seriously. I mean look at this lady:

ibevGchT1j7yAJ.PNG

What the fuck is that shirt she's wearing? Is she a huge The Fifth Element fan? And why is her jeans jacket six sizes too small?

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Not that I can 3d model or anything, but goddamn that face looks like it belongs on a store manikin or a kids doll you'd see at a dollar store.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    What the fuck is that shirt she's wearing? Is she a huge The Fifth Element fan? And why is her jeans jacket six sizes too small?

The only place Leeloo Dallasmultipass here could loot was Baby Gap, I guess.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Zombies be all like daaaaaamn check out that midriff...

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Has the developer said what they feel sets their game apart from something like Rust?

So, having put a fair amount of hours into this some weeks back with two friends, I can give a little bit of an opinion and write-up on my thoughts.

This game has some potential, but the state it's in right now, it's got a ways to go.

The game isn't actually as feature complete as Rust, however, when in a private server it provides more of a difficult pve experience than Rust. Rust, obviously has much more of a pvp experience. And I couldn't speak to a public 7 Days server.

On the one marathon play session I had, myself and two friends carved out a stone hovel from a desert hill and made that our base of operations. We made some crossbows and used those to headshot zombies and defend ourselves. One of the last things we did in the play session was venture out to a town, looking for resources and loot. We spent three in-game days and nights in this town, using the attic of a house as a safe place to live through the night. I didn't feel like I was in a true danger of dying, unless I made a mistake, but it was a tense experience that provided much fun.

I think the game as is suffers from the obvious beta state it's in, but I figure I'll recheck on the game in six months or so and see where it's at. I don't regret buying the game and it did make for a good 6-8 hours of play.

As a miner gripe, breaking certain block types (mainly, stone when mining) takes too long, even with tools. It doesn't add anything or improve the gameplay, just makes that activity take too long.

Overall, my thoughts are that the game is about a C/C+ at this point.

steam_sig.png
    On the one marathon play session I had, myself and two friends carved out a stone hovel from a desert hill and made that our base of operations. We made some crossbows and used those to headshot zombies and defend ourselves. One of the last things we did in the play session was venture out to a town, looking for resources and loot. We spent three in-game days and nights in this town, using the attic of a house as a safe place to live through the night. I didn't feel like I was in a true danger of dying, unless I made a mistake, but it was a tense experience that provided much fun.

This stuff does actually sound pretty rad.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Yeah agreed. Like with most of these sort of games, I love the concept but can't get past the execution. Maybe with some time in the oven who knows. Though I will say Neo Scavenger did get its hooks into me, and that's pretty much made by one dude.

• CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I've never been able to take this game seriously. I mean look at this lady:

ibevGchT1j7yAJ.PNG

Now now, we all know women in video games and fantasy settings only need to have their breasts and vagina covered to be protected against even the most vicious of enemies.

Seriously, though...

I've been getting pretty far into it and played it for the last two days. The easiest thing to do so far has been to snag a pre-built house and retrofit it for my needs. I dug a deep trench around the outside and placed spike traps so when a zombie (or me, accidentally) falls in they eventually will die on the spikes. I've also added a concrete entry-way to keep the bastards out. Crafting right now requires a lot of research. I want to suggest some kind of drawbridge so I can effectively build a mote around my dwelling and keep it zombie free. They love to break down the door and wander inside while I'm away.

Kind of annoying bugs so far: zombies can climb ladders and jump up on stuff. I'm going to mention it in the game forums if it hasn't been already. I'm sure it's a known issue. Zombies shouldn't be able to climb ladders!

Some of the things I think are intelligent: You have to maintain your food and water levels by eating and drinking. Not only that you have a Stamina pool as well: Running, hand-to-hand fighting (or with tools, etc) all deplete this. So when your stamina starts to get low (say because you're digging a huge trench without a break) you start to do less 'damage'. This also includes fighting; it takes more hits to kill a creature. Just rest a little or drink some water and it'll help replenish it.

Some big cons to me: it takes a lot of resources to make tools like shovels, pickaxes, sledgehammers (awesome weapon, btw) and the resources can be scarce (which might just be the idea?). As of now I haven't done any mining but I've been breaking down weapons for scrap iron so I can smelt it. With all that said; the tools wear our pretty quickly. I would like to think a pickaxe would last longer than it takes to tear up half of one concrete driveway. Guns last a little longer and right now are more plentiful. I have just been repairing them by combining two of the same weapon together. Soon I can see that I may have to start crafting bullets and then I will be forced to mine.

Cogliostro on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Saw this on Steam Sale today. Watched a few videos, and it looked like fun. Minecraft+

Have they fixed the things people complained about in March?

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Bit of thread necromancy here, but hey it's still on sale for 21 more hours.

Anyone else interested in doing some co-op? I just picked this up on sale and it seems super neat, but also seems like it would be much more fun with someone else to play with. I'm Fiatil on Steam if anyone is interested.

Fiatil on
    edited June 2016
    So this just came out for PS4 and despite being kind of ugly and a little buggy I fucking love it.

PRO TIPS

Don't play as Clint or Miguel right now; their outfits are bugged and they end up cooking themselves to death and they also will lock up and corrupt your saved games because of it.

READ YOUR QUEST DESCRIPTIONS. They're literally the only tutorial you'll get so they're pretty important.

Magic Pink on
    So I started a new game last night.

I spawn in the Blasted biome, which is an area that either was bombed or had a wildfire in it. I head south and eventually hit the regular forest biome and find some exploded buildings to make my shelter in. I choose the one that's half in the forest biome and half in the blasted biome that also contains a cooking pot I find in the oven and 1 (one) human turd I find in the toilet. The weird thing about this shelter is if I stay in the North side of my room, I get overheated because that side's in the blasted biome but if I stay in the South I'm fine.

I go to find food and water and find a pig! I can't tell yet how to effectively use my bow so I just chase the thing down and beat it to death. I eventually do figure out the bow is quite a bit better and take down three deer. I also see two bears and nope the fuck out of there.

No water to be found yet.

I find a hole in the landscape and a cave at the far back. I drop in, realize that A: there's no way back out, B: I forgot to equip my club, C: I forgot to MAKE a club and D: there's a nasty twitchy zombie back in the cave whose excited squealing when he sees me attracts a *sigh* sexy nurse zombie.

So they kill me and I run back to get my stuff with a club this time. Zombies go boom; I make a shovel and dig my way out.

Then I find a road! There's cars and trash all over it so I use my stone axe to mine the cars for gas cans which is an actual thing you do in this game I ain't even joking.

Nearby are the ruins of a small town and I manage to get down into the poo filled reservoir to fill up my glass bottle which I then take back to boil to make drinkable water. I also get a football helmet and a miner's hat.

I'm on Day 4. Three more days until The Horde arrives. :bigfrown:

10/10 would mine for gas again

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    This game is seriously fun as hell. I have only put in a few hours so far, but I will be playing some more tonight and I'm really excited for it.

On Sunday my roommate and I were trying to kill a bear. We drew him to a house nearby and he followed us upstairs. So I jumped out the closest window, breaking my leg and my roommate got mauled to death because he got caught on a corner (can totally happen in a zombie apocalypse, so it wasn't a bug)... I turned around and started shooting the bear with my bow and arrow.

The bear proceeded to maul the wall and make his own exit and jump down at me, killing me instantly.

10/10 would get mauled by a bear again

urahonky on
    Bears are 100% absolute Do Not Engage in this game.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

27FKx1V.jpg

I'll probably get this eventually, but it makes me wish more people were still playing Project Zomboid. Once it gets fully released, I guess.

27FKx1V.jpg

I'll probably get this eventually, but it makes me wish more people were still playing Project Zomboid. Once it gets fully released, I guess.

I would play the hell out of Zomboid if I could play with a controller on PS4.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Both you guys playing on PS4? I dusted off my Kickstarter copy and started playing again with the console release. I've been having way more fun that I thought I would, the main feedback loops is real satisfying to me.

I'm on the PC, myself. I have a private server setup with my roommate at the moment.

It's on sale on Steam for $10

edited July 2016
    I'm on PS4. I just bought the PC version yesterday as well just because it was on sale and the graphics look much better.

We played like 6 hours last night and finally got our first horde. Good lord that was terrifying. We were desperately trying to get our house defenses up and a freaking bear wandered in. I was a mile away going after a last minute supply drop and my friend was back at the house with no combat XP or weapons because she'd been doing all the repairs and defense building. Eventually it went away and we got double rows of wooden spikes up and full upgrades to the ground floor and the things STILL tore off the entire front of the house and made it to the foot of the stairs before the spikes we left there killed the last 3.

We finally got a forge up on Day 7 as well so we're FINALLY going to get some better weapons. We're in the forest biome but animals are really hard to find. We've only seen 3 deer, one pig and a bear.

Magic Pink on
    Just before my first horde showed up (the second time around, because the first time around I had no idea it was coming), I panicked and just started digging straight down. Then I figured I might as well dig somewhere, so I dug north and slightly upward until I got back above ground. Drop a hay bale at the bottom and it makes for a surprisingly nice bolt hole.

I'm trying a desert run and I just can not find enough critters to make a bellows. I've got too much stuff to just abandon the site, but I'm coming up on Day 21 and still at 18 hides.

Critter hides are the biggest pain in the ass for me right now.

This is honestly one of the best $10 I've spent on a game in a long, long time.

This weekend my roommate and I got our house up and going. We found a farmhouse with tons of cornstalk surrounding it so we dug trenches all around it, put up an iron fence around the trench, and holed up. After a few days we went ahead and made a wraparound deck on the top of the house for us to perch on during the night.

I should stop reading this thread... I'm almost positive I wouldn't like this game, but the stuff you guys are posting make it sound so rad.

Yeah we're having a blast with it. There's definitely some glitches but HOO BOY we play this like every available minute.

We were playing last night and a bear spawned literally on top of my friend.

"I can't see anything. Is this a bear? Oh I'm dead."

She ran inside the house she was building but the thing burst through the wall, followed her upstairs and mauled the bejeezus out of her.

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I bought this about a year ago on a Steam sale and it's prevented me from finishing other games I've paid 60 bucks for. It's an incredible bargain if you enjoy zombie survival games. I was really hooked for several months at first, and then spent a while doing odd things in random maps like surviving only in the snowy mountains or only in the desert, or turning the difficulty way up and having the zombies always run.

The game has mostly run it's course for me, but I still go back to it once in a while when I feel that urge return, especially when there's a new alpha version with big changes. I look forward to the next big one that adds NPC's and bandits.

I've only ever played single player, but I've got a buddy IRL who only plays multi with a couple friends and they've been hooked for a while too.

Skull2185 wrote: »
    I should stop reading this thread... I'm almost positive I wouldn't like this game, but the stuff you guys are posting make it sound so rad.

For the record, the food and water requirement is ridiculously easy to fulfill and you actually have a reason to get better food if you want as it'll increase your Wellness which increases your stamina and health.

But if you never want to do that you can just eat and drink what you find and you'll find A LOT. Plus there perks you can buy to slow the need down even more.

Hmmmm.... hmmmmm

edited July 2016
    PLUS plus, if you literally refuse to do anything whatsoever with eating and drinking, you can ignore it and set the death penalty to "drop nothing" so when you DO die it has absolutely zero effect other than to teleport you to your respawn and drop your stat maxes to 70 (but then I've been playing 99% of the game in the 70-75 range anyway).

Keep in mind there are quite a few bugs still (but there's a patch in for approval with Sony) and a pretty annoying heat system that gets you dying of heat stroke easily and often if you wear the wrong armour.

Magic Pink on
    Keep in mind there are quite a few bugs still (but there's a patch in for approval with Sony) and a pretty annoying heat system that gets you dying of heat stroke easily and often if you wear the wrong armour.
    My desert survivor is running around in a cowboy hat, sunglasses, a bandana, and iron boots. Also, drink yucca extract if you start overheating. It's pretty great.

Maybe once the patch hits. Mayyyybe...
    Damn you, Pink!
    <3

jdarksun wrote: »
    My desert survivor is running around in a cowboy hat, sunglasses, a bandana, and iron boots. Also, drink yucca extract if you start overheating. It's pretty great.

I had a run into the Ash biome with all iron armour and tons of chrysanthemum tea and I STILL ended up baked and dead.

I had a run into the Ash biome with all iron armour and tons of chrysanthemum tea and I STILL ended up baked and dead.
    ...the Burnt Forest? I didn't think it was as hot as the Desert. Unless, did the console release get a new map?

...the Burnt Forest? I didn't think it was as hot as the Desert. Unless, did the console release get a new map?

It's the biome with all the bombed out buildings and what not. It's a LOT hotter than the desert; I'm fine in the desert.

It's the biome with all the bombed out buildings and what not. It's a LOT hotter than the desert; I'm fine in the desert.
    The Wasteland, maybe? I wonder if that's a console bug, it's way cooler than the Desert on the PC.