As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny] Rise of Iron: "Wizirds are the worst. The WORST."

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, one of these days I should hit up LFG for an Atheon kill. I never did get my NTtE, and that's the step I'm at.

Then again, I never have time to play this anymore and I don't think I'm getting the next expansion. I've reached the point now, like 6 or 7 months on, where I don't feel the burning desire to play, or any desire at all, really. Hmm.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed the Skolas fight when it was hard

I think Skolas would have gotten about 8000% less hate if PoE had actual freaking checkpoints.

Half the problem was that just getting up to Skolas took a longass time (even if you did it perfectly, it was 5 rounds before him), and then the fight itself took forever. The successful run I was a part of took 5 hours in total, and this was after 6 hours the night before where we had to stop because we were falling asleep. 2-2.5 hours of the next day was just getting back to Skolas, which we got no rewards for!

I think that accounts for a lot of the hate. There are other very hard fights that don't get anywhere near the same level of salt.

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    3clipse wrote: »

I think Skolas would have gotten about 8000% less hate if PoE had actual freaking checkpoints.

Half the problem was that just getting up to Skolas took a longass time (even if you did it perfectly, it was 5 rounds before him), and then the fight itself took forever. The successful run I was a part of took 5 hours in total, and this was after 6 hours the night before where we had to stop because we were falling asleep. 2-2.5 hours of the next day was just getting back to Skolas, which we got no rewards for!

I think that accounts for a lot of the hate. There are other very hard fights that don't get anywhere near the same level of salt.

Thats true - I actually finished several Skolas runs where not a single person from the original three people starting it were still in it or even knew who the three original people were. It was passed down a line of guardians until someone actually got it done.

Wassermelone on
  • Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular

Thats true - I actually finished several Skolas runs where not a single person from the original three people starting it were still in it or even knew who the three original people were. It was passed down a line of guardians until someone actually got it done.

Same, my single completion for my triumphs was (luckily) joining a public LFG twosome who lost their third and who were already at Skolas. Only took us two tries and like 45 minutes of my time. Their completion time was HOURS.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

Were you using the controller to vibrate against it?

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular

I definitely remember a Skolas checkpoint on the playstation side that kept getting passed around for maybe 8-10 hours+ before I came in.

That was a ridiculous decision in terms of checkpoints.

I also remember the hilariousness that was the reveal stream for Prison that couldn't even get past the 3rd round in the level 34 PoE. They didn't even get onto the epic bullshit the round after that would have been Arc burn Hive.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Is this Skolas fight one of the challenges that branch off from the original PoE node on the map? I'd love to try those too some time, if just to fill in their nodes.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I hope that Widows Court for Trials isn't true for Friday, since with family out of town I actually have a bunch of hours to give it a shot. Was hoping for a random Lighthouse but sniperfest will not be conducive to that dream. Especially aftwr the glory of IB it'll be demoralizing.

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Is this Skolas fight one of the challenges that branch off from the original PoE node on the map? I'd love to try those too some time, if just to fill in their nodes.

Yeah, original PoE has three nodes coming off it. The first two are the level 32 and the level 34 PoE which would rotate weekly through a fixed playlist. What is the level 34 one week will be the 32 the next week.

Skolas is a permanent level 35 playlist. 5 rounds of PoE to begin with that were always the same, then there was a different modifier for Skolas each week. Initially he had a metric fuckton of health and there'd be different elemental burns. The main strat was that on Solar week you'd have three people with Gjallarhorns that would go in a Titan Bubble and empty all the rockets into him and then burn a heavy ammo synthesis inside the bubble quickly and then empty another full set of Rockets into him. He'd die, adds would de-spawn and you could do the mine dismantling at your leisure.

This led to people waiting for a long time in the Airlock between attempts because first you'd need to wait for the Synth cooldown to finish from the last round then Synth again to be at full ammo. Then you'd need to wait for that cooldown to end so that you could Synth inside the encounter. So basically a 10 minute cool off period between attempts.

It was a cluster fuck of epic proportions.

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Though, once they removed the burns and reduced his health to sane levels it was ultimately a really fun fight that was just very annoying to get to

Wassermelone on
  • VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    The Skolas fight directly led to NATBurn's conversion to a PVP-oriented team for nearly a whole expansion cycle.

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Well had to play some rift tonight. As is customary, it was awful. Just such an unbalanced game mode.

I like the Last Word, or the people that use it even less.

But there was this one dude running around with khepri's sting just wrecking havok given the focus on the spark. It was so awful to play against.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Poor design decisions aside, I liked the 35 PoE. I ran it dozens of times during HoW and miss the challenge. It's the best-designed boss fight in the game, IMO.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I would have made some changes to Skolas myself, but overall it was a pretty good fight. The problem was that PoE as a whole was a badly done formula.

Simple change that would have reduced a lot of the headaches during the Skolas fight: Make the mines spawn in a predictable order.

vq2TEKC.png
  • ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    Skolas (after the initial changes like no burn and adds based on hp%) felt like what a hard-mode boss fight should feel like. It's really the only "end-game" PvE boss that allowed revives.

It's just a shame that everything else about PoE made it feel like a slog just to get to him. That's not even counting the (justifiable) salt should you disconnect during the activity.

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    PS4 peeps, is there interest in doing VoG/Crota.
    Also holy shit we didn't do a Croata/Oryx Fathers Day Kill event.
    Suppose this week may be a good time for that. I'll try and nab some checkpoints if possible.

I'm always up for some VoG (it's the bestest) and to a lesser extent Crota (cause at least its fast) if I am on. "Guardians make their own fate"

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Man, I am so salty that I screwed up and didn't get a decent roll on the IB scout. I really like my Last Extremity, and am tempted to Tlaloc/Alchemist's Raiment anyway, but I always end up kicking myself for denying myself an option.

What is this I don't even.
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Prisoner of Elders nearly made me drop Destiny.

Trials of Osiris was its saving grace... Even though it took me and Arteen a long time to find a 3rd to play with.

Sirialis on
  • HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    Bungie Day is on Thursday, so we'll get our triumph info then as well as I'm sure an announcement for when we can expect the next livestream for RoI

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    HooverFan wrote: »
    Bungie Day is on Thursday, so we'll get our triumph info then as well as I'm sure an announcement for when we can expect the annoucement of the next livestream for RoI

Fixed that for you.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    I just now got around to reading last week's TW@B.

On the one hand, there's not really much going on.

On the other hand, his closing poem was really amusing (if functionally impossible due to exotic restrictions):
    DeeJ wrote:
    “making you wish you weren’t born when we shoot you with the Thorn – and if poison doesn’t kill you, follow up with Gjallarhorn.”

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    HooverFan wrote: »
    Bungie Day is on Thursday, so we'll get our triumph info then as well as I'm sure an announcement for when we can expect the annoucement of the next livestream for RoI

Fixed that for you.

thx... typing on mobile from work

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
    Erevar wrote: »

On the other hand, his closing poem was really amusing (if functionally impossible due to exotic restrictions):
    DeeJ wrote:
    “making you wish you weren’t born when we shoot you with the Thorn – and if poison doesn’t kill you, follow up with Gjallarhorn.”

It's from the Exotic Weapons Rap that was linked in the clip section

vq2TEKC.png
    Vagabond wrote: »
    Erevar wrote: »

DeeJ wrote:

It's from the Exotic Weapons Rap that was linked in the clip section

I couldn't watch the videos at work, but after seeing your comment I went back... glad I did! =D

KkrouBB.png
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Woo, got me a 5000 glimmer amethyst from PoE this week, you the real mvp purple gem thing!

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    this IB was so dispiriting for some reason. I got my dudes to rank 5, all my bounties done, had some good matches, and even so man am I thinking about quitting PVP. The current meta seems to be sniper/hawksaw/MIDA and it's frustrating and boring at this point. Snipers need to stop being something you can dance with. taking fire should cause a lot of sway (except for those with perk) and moving while zoomed should cause significant sway. If this game promoted a much wider variety of weapon loadouts, the pvp would be more interesting ... as it is ... I've been circle-8 mida'd to death, sniped from 6 to 100 ft away and hawksawed endlessly. It's just getting old. Variety is the spice of life.

• jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    MIDA is amazing tho, you should try it

• GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    I've got a fully charged Agonarch Rune if somebody is looking for that fragment on PlayStation.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Yeah, when I decided to do rank 5 in one night the last night of IB, out came the MIDA. Boom! No more sub 1.0 K/D matches!

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I use fusion rifles on everything and a monte carlo on my Gunslinger. You can usually say fuck the meta to some degree and just use what you want.

• BookerBooker Registered User regular
    Never sweat, do ya?

Higher skill players punish fighting outside the meta severely. Meta weapons, especially Hawksaw arise at a balance of low tTK, and easy usage. My preferences are towards overwhelming firepower, against ease of use, requiring great thumbskill to land shots and secure kills. My main loadout now is an EX rds Colovance's Duty, paired with the Lord of Wolves. The Duty kills faster than most other weapons, in three headshots. If I miss, I am at an immediate disadvantage.

Every time you say, "fuck the meta", you are making a gamble that your opponents are on a level below you. If they are on your level, they will begin to win more engagements. If they are above your level, packing Thorn and a godroll Party Crasher +1, you might not be able to touch him.

The Lyudmila-D has 2-burst kill capability, but because of the difficulty in landing that attack, I cannot use it against a sweating player of a similar skill level. At least not in skirmish. This link goes to my guardian.gg stats. My last three skirmish games were against a pair of high skill players running sweat gear. I barely eked out the win based on sniping the shotgunner, and Falcon striking the sniper. Earlier use of my Hand of Judgement was ineffective at best.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    That was my first exotic to drop from an engram in pve. All of my previous exotics have been from Xur or end match from a 3oc.

A Suros Regime. That'll do game.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    Booker wrote: »
    Never sweat, do ya?

Higher skill players punish fighting outside the meta severely. Meta weapons, especially Hawksaw arise at a balance of low tTK, and easy usage. My preferences are towards overwhelming firepower, against ease of use, requiring great thumbskill to land shots and secure kills. My main loadout now is an EX rds Colovance's Duty, paired with the Lord of Wolves. The Duty kills faster than most other weapons, in three headshots. If I miss, I am at an immediate disadvantage.

Every time you say, "fuck the meta", you are making a gamble that your opponents are on a level below you. If they are on your level, they will begin to win more engagements. If they are above your level, packing Thorn and a godroll Party Crasher +1, you might not be able to touch him.

The Lyudmila-D has 2-burst kill capability, but because of the difficulty in landing that attack, I cannot use it against a sweating player of a similar skill level. At least not in skirmish. This link goes to my guardian.gg stats. My last three skirmish games were against a pair of high skill players running sweat gear. I barely eked out the win based on sniping the shotgunner, and Falcon striking the sniper. Earlier use of my Hand of Judgement was ineffective at best.

Be careful, opening that link is like looking into The Lost Ark.

Because Booker is face-meltingly good.

Booker wrote: »
    Never sweat, do ya?

Yeah, but we're talking about Iron Banner, not Trials.

Hm. Should I grab this Torch/Triple Tap/Hand-Laid Stock/Third Eye Cocytus before the reset, or is my Life Support/Smallbore/Zen Moment one better?

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I decided to put some effort into finishing all the ancient PvP Quests I had clogging up my queue, that got partial progress started from this weekend's IB binge. And as a result, I am now the proud owner of the most disappointingly ugly Exotic item I've ever seen. Seriously, somebody skimped on the art budget when they were designing the Circle of War warlock mark. If I hadn't already scraped together 42 ranks in FWC, I'd be tempted to swap factions just to see if one of the others offers something better looking.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Now that IB is over the crucible seems to be overwhelmed with people running year 1 jerk gear.

Matadors, Felwinters, Fate Equations.

Unpleasant.

I never meta hawksaw I didn't like

cB557 wrote: »
    Hm. Should I grab this Torch/Triple Tap/Hand-Laid Stock/Third Eye Cocytus before the reset, or is my Life Support/Smallbore/Zen Moment one better?
    Hrm. It's getting late, so if noone has any advice on this I'm probably just gonna grab it before I go to bed to be safe.

This discussion has been closed.