As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

World Naked [chat] Ride

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    man this is a bare-bones game

like what, four identical stations sprinkled across the systems

and stations being the only thing you interact with

ftOqU21.png
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I've been wearing ear plugs to sleep during summer because crickets and cicadas won't shut the hell up, but now I tend to find it hard to sleep without them during colder months when it's quieter.

BronzeKoopa on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    fuck it I'm buying a giant tungsten cube on a ring

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Echo wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    It's funny though, millennials and such are turning to artisan ring crafting for that 'unique' look.

Wood rings with a message etched in gold, or, inlaid with turquoise, etc.
    Kintsugi (金継ぎ?) (Japanese: golden joinery) or Kintsukuroi (金繕い?) (Japanese: golden repair) Defined as "to repair with gold",[1] is the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery with lacquer dusted or mixed with powdered gold, silver, or platinum, a method similar to the maki-e technique.[2][3][4] As a philosophy it treats breakage and repair as part of the history of an object, rather than something to disguise.

rxF1at9.jpg

Now I am pissed I have nothing broken.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    This morning, i realized my new work schedule means i have 50% of my free time before work and 50% of my free time after work.

Perfect balance.

i love this schedule.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Read the whole thing so you get to the real ragey part where the anonymous manager wrote in for advice on how to tell this ex employee how unprofessional her departure was because she was in foster care and has no professional role models to teach her manners

We live in an era where The Economist wonders why millennials don't buy more diamonds.

"They can't afford it!"
    "Actually, it's about ethics in the diamond industry."

Both are probably right.

As that tweet I posted the other day replied:

"I work in a convenience store."

The best part is when boomers retire, the jobs will most likely just disappear forever.

So, we will never get that part of the pie that boomers hogged until they died/retired.
    i don't understand where this notion comes from

(i mean, i understand that automation will change our economy and wtf are we going to do, but i don't understand why it's the boomer's fault)

The economic issues of the early naughts (2004 I think was the first, that catapulted into the great recession of 2008) meant a lot of boomers lost an ass ton of their retirement. So that means they could no longer 'afford' to retire at 65. Most are working well into their 70s and 80s.

Boomers are keeping jobs that might have been passed onto gen-x and millennials.

That isn't exactly a self contained compelling reason to say "fuck boomers." "These people lost all their money and have to work" isn't prima facie reason they are at fault.

Who said "fuck boomers"?

Oh, can I? Cause totally fuck boomers.

Though not specifically for getting fucked by the market right when they were going to retire. That was actually kinda shit for them. Really though if you're retiring next year you shouldn't be in the market anyways and should be in way more stable investments.

Yeah but then I can only get 3% returns instead of 10%!

Most people in America are financially ignorant. I suspect this is by design.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Hot dogs for breakfast

can you feel the struggle within?
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    So billing manager found another job before me.

She was sad yesterday when she handed in her 3 weeks notice. But immediately her tune changed when the owner got angry with her.

They were also upset she didn't give them 2 months notice.

"3 weeks is not enough"

Which she responded with "Well how much time would you feel is fair? I don't even need to give you 2, 3 is pretty generous."

"I don't know, but 3 weeks is not enough to hire someone and get them up to speed."

"I'm sorry" was her response.

My boss is on a fucking war path right now.

This is not going to go well for me zepherin

What a fake internet story. No one would act like that in real life.

Neco on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    It's funny though, millennials and such are turning to artisan ring crafting for that 'unique' look.

Kintsugi (金継ぎ?) (Japanese: golden joinery) or Kintsukuroi (金繕い?) (Japanese: golden repair) Defined as "to repair with gold",[1] is the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery with lacquer dusted or mixed with powdered gold, silver, or platinum, a method similar to the maki-e technique.[2][3][4] As a philosophy it treats breakage and repair as part of the history of an object, rather than something to disguise.

rxF1at9.jpg

Break all your vows.

edited July 2016
    Please make me a Rain in a Graveyard too much aerosol spritz scarf

uoZQEbp.jpg

Six on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

rxF1at9.jpg

Break all your vows.

I'm wondering how using gold to renew and repair broken vows would work

It feels very anime

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

rxF1at9.jpg

Break all your vows.

I don't... have vows?

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    Read the whole thing so you get to the real ragey part where the anonymous manager wrote in for advice on how to tell this ex employee how unprofessional her departure was because she was in foster care and has no professional role models to teach her manners

We live in an era where The Economist wonders why millennials don't buy more diamonds.

"They can't afford it!"
    "Actually, it's about ethics in the diamond industry."

Both are probably right.

As that tweet I posted the other day replied:

"I work in a convenience store."

The best part is when boomers retire, the jobs will most likely just disappear forever.

So, we will never get that part of the pie that boomers hogged until they died/retired.
    i don't understand where this notion comes from

(i mean, i understand that automation will change our economy and wtf are we going to do, but i don't understand why it's the boomer's fault)

The economic issues of the early naughts (2004 I think was the first, that catapulted into the great recession of 2008) meant a lot of boomers lost an ass ton of their retirement. So that means they could no longer 'afford' to retire at 65. Most are working well into their 70s and 80s.

Boomers are keeping jobs that might have been passed onto gen-x and millennials.

That isn't exactly a self contained compelling reason to say "fuck boomers." "These people lost all their money and have to work" isn't prima facie reason they are at fault.

Who said "fuck boomers"?

Oh, can I? Cause totally fuck boomers.

Though not specifically for getting fucked by the market right when they were going to retire. That was actually kinda shit for them. Really though if you're retiring next year you shouldn't be in the market anyways and should be in way more stable investments.

Yeah but then I can only get 3% returns instead of 10%!

Most people in America are financially ignorant. I suspect this is by design.

nothing keeping them ignorant but themselves

ftOqU21.png
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Actual retail managers get mad when people at minimum wage jobs quit.

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Please make me a Rain in a Graveyard too much aerosol spritz scarf

uoZQEbp.jpg

Rotten pistachio cream macaron? I'll take two

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    hello ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages

what is your advice for stopping your mind from racing when you are trying to fall asleep

what do you think about

Meditation helped me a lot for a while, but I've lost the habit. I could just try and center my mind for a bit and I'd conk out.

Now I just put on Archer/Bob's Burgers/Futurama and fall asleep to it with the screen down and headphones in. Night mode/Lux has also helped me a lot since when my mind's racing like that I very often want to look at a screen to distract me. It still happens, but the lack of blue light has made me less likely to completely pop back fully awake.

yeah

honestly usually i don't have trouble falling asleep

last night i was like, okay i'll shower and meditate, and i was nice and tired and ready for sleep, but it was only 945 so then i was like maybe i should do some of these GMAT practice questions before bed
    but that was too brain stimulating and reawoke my brain

foolish, shoulda just gone to sleep when i was tired

and then i was thinking about going to sleep and my desire to sleep a lot which is always a recipe for disaster

alas

i've been trying to cut down my weed usage a lot, to only a few times a week tops, or else i woulda just vaped this tahoe OG which usually is pretty good at shutting me down

poo
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Hello, I am a for real manager. One of my employees shows up for work at 8:55 for work every day. I have told my headcount many times that "15 minutes early is on time. On time is late". It is a phrase from a very popular business book that I once read the back cover of. Anyway, I understand that she is caring for her invalid father, but how can I impress upon here the necessity of showing up to work on time (by which I mean 15 minutes early)?

If I'm scheduled for 9 and I show up at 8:55, I'm on time. If you want then there 15 early, schedule them 15 early. I wouldn't want to show up early if I'm not getting paid for that time either.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    So billing manager found another job before me.

She was sad yesterday when she handed in her 3 weeks notice. But immediately her tune changed when the owner got angry with her.

They were also upset she didn't give them 2 months notice.

"3 weeks is not enough"

Which she responded with "Well how much time would you feel is fair? I don't even need to give you 2, 3 is pretty generous."

"I don't know, but 3 weeks is not enough to hire someone and get them up to speed."

"I'm sorry" was her response.

My boss is on a fucking war path right now.

This is not going to go well for me zepherin

What a fake internet story. No one would act like that in real life.

My boss is fucking nuts. He is taking is SUPER personal.

I said to him, in confidence a few minutes ago as he came into my office spitting about disabling remote access and restricting her privileges, "When I asked for more of a raise and you said you just didn't have the money, I didn't take it personally. It's just business, and negotiation, why is this any different?"

This was not the appropriate thing to say in that situation, apparently.

whoops.jpg

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

rxF1at9.jpg

Break all your vows.

I don't... have vows?

make up vows, then!

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

rxF1at9.jpg

Break all your vows.

I don't... have vows?

Just vow to break your vows.

Neco on
    Hot dogs for breakfast

hot dogs cut up in eggs

poo

I don't find it particularly unbelievable that managers hold people below them to unrealistic standards of professional conduct that they would never adhere to themselves

what is your advice for stopping your mind from racing when you are trying to fall asleep

what do you think about

Meditation helped me a lot for a while, but I've lost the habit. I could just try and center my mind for a bit and I'd conk out.

Now I just put on Archer/Bob's Burgers/Futurama and fall asleep to it with the screen down and headphones in. Night mode/Lux has also helped me a lot since when my mind's racing like that I very often want to look at a screen to distract me. It still happens, but the lack of blue light has made me less likely to completely pop back fully awake.

yeah

last night i was like, okay i'll shower and meditate, and i was nice and tired and ready for sleep, but it was only 945 so then i was like maybe i should do some of these GMAT practice questions before bed

and then i was thinking about going to sleep and my desire to sleep a lot which is always a recipe for disaster

alas

i've been trying to cut down my weed usage a lot, to only a few times a week tops, or else i woulda just vaped this tahoe OG which usually is pretty good at shutting me down

Yeah the gmat questions was a bad choice.

I've recently taken up weed. I don't have much more to it than that.

Hello, I am a for real manager. One of my employees shows up for work at 8:55 for work every day. I have told my headcount many times that "15 minutes early is on time. On time is late". It is a phrase from a very popular business book that I once read the back cover of. Anyway, I understand that she is caring for her invalid father, but how can I impress upon here the necessity of showing up to work on time (by which I mean 15 minutes early)?

no idea i've never worked at a place where anyone has complained about the time that i get in whee

poo
    Six it says APEROL

APEROL spritz

not aerosol

oh god someone call an ambulance

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I am going to visit friends this weekend, I think I will maybe go buy a new shirt or two so as to create the illusion that I am not a slobbo.

no idea i've never worked at a place where anyone has complained about the time that i get in whee

I have

and the time that I leave

the little bullshit things that make an otherwise totally fine job unbearable

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Actually I should talk to my doc about mirtazapine. I'm on it as an antidepressant, but it's also really great for my insomnia (known side effect, intentionally used for that).

I feel that I don't need the antidepressant bit, but I'd also like to fall asleep before 2 am.

I guess that makes more sense but I like mine better.

The top reddit comment is fantastic
    "That one looks nice, what is it called?"
    "Drowned Toddler Lips Blue."
    "Oh." "What about that one?"
    "Cut Wrist Red."
    "I think I'll be leaving now."

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

You never punched a clock?

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    When Chris Robinson’s father started collecting Beanie Babies, he thought he could use the eventual profits to pay for five college tuitions. Instead, he ended up spending upwards of $100,000 (Robinson’s estimate, based on average cost for each) for a collection of 20,000 stuffed animals that still sit in his garage.

I feel fine about the thousands of comics I own. I'm not keeping them to turn a profit. I'm keeping them because I'm a hoarder.

I will fully admit that I got caught up in the speculator craze for comics in the early 90s.

I have sparkly 1st issues with silver embossed covers that were 1 of 30 different covers all for the same issue. I remember specifically getting convinced to buy comics I had no real interest in reading just for their supposed great future value.

Yeah, I wonder how much my signed copy of Infinity Watch #1 is worth now. Not much, I'm guessing.

But luckily the collections I cared about. Uncanny X-Men from 150 or so up. All of the New Mutants. The beginning of Excalibur. Those I got and keep cause I loved them. I could care less about the value.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    When I quit my shitty retail job the manager got mad. Between 2008 and 2014 it was easy to find people, and you got a higher quality employee for little effort. Now if someone leaves and you have to replace them with a minimum wage person it's hard to do. My mom works as a retail manager, and when she hires someone she just tries to figure out what is wrong with them. Either they have an alcohol problem, a criminal record, no job experience at all, are fuck ups. And her company pays a few bucks over min wage for entry level.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Uuuugh I wanna catch pokemon and be a gym leader in my area but it still says unavailable in your region ahhhhh

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Six it says APEROL

APEROL spritz

not aerosol

oh god someone call an WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAambulance

They just tried to give her more money. She said where's this money coming from now that they didn't have 4 months ago in her review.

Then she said, "It's not even honestly the money any more. Too much is resting on my shoulders because the office manager doesn't want to ever take care of it. As soon as someone sees 'Insurance' they immediately put it on me, even if it's something entirely in the realm of the office manager."

She handles coding and insurance billing, not dealing with fees/fines/fraud/doctor par-ing/etc.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    realtalk tho those scarves are really neat but how do they hold together? are they just yarn tied at the ends? is this a prank?

Six it says APEROL

APEROL spritz

not aerosol

oh god someone call an ambulance

speaking of booze, i have a pint of falernum and need test subjects for my tiki game
    fyi
    hth

edited July 2016

what do you think about

yeah

alas

Yeah the gmat questions was a bad choice.

I've recently taken up weed. I don't have much more to it than that.

funnily enough the main reason i bought a vaporizer in the first place was to help with sleep

You never punched a clock?

only in summer jobs, never post college

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    zepherin wrote: »
    When I quit my shitty retail job the manager got mad. Between 2008 and 2014 it was easy to find people, and you got a higher quality employee for little effort. Now if someone leaves and you have to replace them with a minimum wage person it's hard to do. My mom works as a retail manager, and when she hires someone she just tries to figure out what is wrong with them. Either they have an alcohol problem, a criminal record, no job experience at all, are fuck ups. And her company pays a few bucks over min wage for entry level.

Pay shit wages, get shit employees.

This discussion has been closed.