As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Airbender/Korra] This Decade-Old Thread is Closed

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    People generally like Avatar better than Korra, right? Maybe it's because I saw half the first season of Korra before Avatar, but I like it more as a whole than Avatar. But I do think Aang had a better team than Korra, and Oppa > Naga, but Pabu > Momo. My coworker and I get into (not actual) arguments all the time because I prefer Korra.

Also, that Korra figure looks sweet. I'ma buy it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    I'd consider a Lin figurine. Not a chibi one though.

There was a Lin Beifong figure released last year. Made by two of the Animation Directors for Korra.

12jpg-6999b8.jpg

If only it weren't $100.

Skull2185 wrote: »
    People generally like Avatar better than Korra, right? Maybe it's because I saw half the first season of Korra before Avatar, but I like it more as a whole than Avatar. But I do think Aang had a better team than Korra, and Oppa > Naga, but Pabu > Momo. My coworker and I get into (not actual) arguments all the time because I prefer Korra.

I watched both series as they aired. While TLA will always be a first love for me, there are aspects of Korra I love even more. To the point where when I think of The Avatar, I picture Korra first. (Kyoshi second.)

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I prefer Korra, personally.

I will say that Airbender absolutely does a better job of telling the story it wants to. But I find Korra's challenges a lot more interesting. And I suspect it would have matched Airbender in telling her story if not for Nick's futzing around with how much they wanted.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I saw this pop up and got excited expecting shirts/ jackets/patches/more and such. Such disappoint.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    I saw this pop up and got excited expecting shirts/ jackets/patches/more and such. Such disappoint.

Dark Horse has released some Korra merch, in addition to their Graphic Novel series and Art books.

They're also making an adult coloring book for The Last Airbender series.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I love books. Always have, always will.

If I were rich and didn't know what to do with my money, I would get a house which had enough space to have a dedicated room for a library.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    t
    Quid wrote: »

I prefer Korra, personally.

I will say that Airbender absolutely does a better job of telling the story it wants to. But I find Korra's challenges a lot more interesting. And I suspect it would have matched Airbender in telling her story if not for Nick's futzing around with how much they wanted.

That's a good way to tell it. I like the world in Korra more, but TLA tells its story much much better.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Airbender had a lot less going in terms of the number of major characters so the story was more focused and richer ....it also had some really great and memorable bits (everything with toph). Korra was great, but between poltical stories, coming of age stories, coming of avatar stories, lots of different characters so it was a bit more diffused.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I may be out of sync with popular opinion, but I think that Korra's first two seasons were inferior to the original, and the third and fourth were better. Korra's fourth season is one of my all time favorite television seasons ever.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

If I were rich and didn't know what to do with my money, I would get a house which had enough space to have a dedicated room for a library.

And at least one of the book cases would be a secret door leading to a second, hidden library.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I may be out of sync with popular opinion, but I think that Korra's first two seasons were inferior to the original, and the third and fourth were better. Korra's fourth season is one of my all time favorite television seasons ever.

That's how I feel them. It's also the demarcation line of where Nick finally decided how many seasons they wanted. The first season was stretched beyond what it was originally meant to and the second season was approved last second and rushed. The third and fourth were approved well ahead of their planned air dates.

The creators are good but clearly need time to work out a story. Which is fine if the studio funding isn't being silly.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

And at least one of the book cases would be a secret door leading to a second, hidden library.

But why stop at just two libraries?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

I think the first is excellent until the last two or so episodes where plot threads just kind of disappear in disappointing ways. The second is the worst of the seven by a big margin. Third and fourth are very good, though I think the third is overall stronger, while Korra's story in the fourth is probably the best she ever got.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Airbender has a more cohesive story on the fact that they were able to make it as one contiguous path. Korra doesn't have that because they first planned it as a 2 episode standalone thing, then got upgraded to a full season, and then upgraded to multi seasons. So near everything is of that standalone nature. Great story threads, but you can also see where they end and are knotted into the next thread, and so on. Every season sorta feels the same. Start of season, here's the plot, here's the bad guy, adventure happens. End of season, plot resolved, bad guy beaten, adventure concluded. Next season, new plot/bad guy/adventure.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

But why stop at just two libraries?

Well, you wouldn't. But I'm not going to tip you off about how to access my secret secret library, and especially not my secret secret secret library.
    I've said too much just letting you know they might exist.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Korra Book 2 was kind of a stall for time while they worked on Book 3 and Book 4. It originally was supposed to be just the one book/season, but then Nick was like "OH SHIT WE WANT MORE". So they got approved for Book 2, then shortly after got the nod for Book 3 and Book 4.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    "I should buy another episode for tonight's broadcast. Oh, they're sold out. Unexpected."

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    First season of Korra was pretty great, but the show falls apart pretty hard after that. The writing ends up in an unending cycle of the heroes never getting ahead until the last minute, with way too much time spent on having Korra basically getting the shit beat out of her repeatedly alongside her managing to also not learn a tactic other than "blunder in stupidly and fail".

I didn't even bother finishing out the series, because I had zero interest in seeing what magical (figurative or literal) solution they would pull out of their collective ass to win after spending the whole season losing. Again.

Tremendous waste of both the characters and the setting, with how utterly mundane, repetitive, and uncreative the writing became.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I disagree, and I also feel that the "heroes keep getting beat up until they finally come up with something for the season finale" is a problem that the Avatar series has always had.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    First season of Korra was pretty great, but the show falls apart pretty hard after that. The writing ends up in an unending cycle of the heroes never getting ahead until the last minute, with way too much time spent on having Korra basically getting the shit beat out of her repeatedly alongside her managing to also not learn a tactic other than "blunder in stupidly and fail".

I didn't even bother finishing out the series, because I had zero interest in seeing what magical (figurative or literal) solution they would pull out of their collective ass to win after spending the whole season losing. Again.

Tremendous waste of both the characters and the setting, with how utterly mundane, repetitive, and uncreative the writing became.

I'm pretty sure the show was created for one season in mind, that's why it tripped them up.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    You should probably finish the series! Book 3 and 4 are great, and work that whole "Korra loses" thing into the overall narrative. The eventual ending to each season feels earned, IMO.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Nah, I bailed in season 4 because Korra kept up with doing her exact same stupid shit she'd been doing (and generally failing with) for 3 prior seasons and Team Avatar kept losing (yet again), so there was nothing of interest left for me to watch. I just do not care what convoluted or random solution they came up with to win, because I got fed up with seeing great characters wasted on horribly repetitive writing. Honestly, all my interest in the series was completely burned up just getting partly into season 4.

Compared with the ending of TLA, LoK wasn't building towards anything I had any interest in watching.

• Options
    Nah, I bailed in season 4 because Korra kept up with doing her exact same stupid shit she'd been doing (and generally failing with) for 3 prior seasons and Team Avatar kept losing (yet again), so there was nothing of interest left for me to watch. I just do not care what convoluted or random solution they came up with to win, because I got fed up with seeing great characters wasted on horribly repetitive writing. Honestly, all my interest in the series was completely burned up just getting partly into season 4.

Compared with the ending of TLA, LoK wasn't building towards anything I had any interest in watching.

If it makes any contribution for you going back to finishing up Book 4,
    it ends with a giant, metal bending powered robot with a spirit energy powered laser cannon.
    I don't know if that helps stoke your interest or not.

• Options
    I would normally be all over that, but I got so burned out by the writing that I gave up partway through S4 and just cannot find the interest to go back. Even with them inevitably winning, I won't feel like anything will have been resolved, only that they didn't lose.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Yeah, Book 3 ends with Korra barely winning (and surviving). The good thing is that Book 4 actually deals with the fallout of that. There's no immediate reset. No "Oh, Aang showed me how to reverse the blood bending that blocks one's ability to bend at all." No, "Oh, I'm totes best friends with all the spirits now." She's hit right in her weaknesses - her self confidence and physical strength - and it takes her a long time to figure herself out.

Also, Book 3's antagonist is voiced by Henry Rollins.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    TLA is the better work, full stop.

Korra had some more complex ideas but utterly failed to deliver on them. The first season is bad, the second is aweful, and the third and fourth somehow manage pull out of the deathspiral and be actually pretty good, maybe even great, but they still have a lot of issues.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    But! Book 3 had the most crazy implied death I never expected to see in a kid's show

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    But! Book 3 had the most crazy implied death I never expected to see in a kid's show

The whole series was big on that. The end of season 1 was certainly a thing.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

The whole series was big on that. The end of season 1 was certainly a thing.

QsRZaT1.gif
    oBKW4HP.gif

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'd say 80% of the problem with book 2 is with the villain. He goes from wise spirit guide to mustache-twirling world-ender at the drop of a hat. If they had spent more time on his transition, especially with his reasoning behind wanting to fuck things up, I'd say things would be much improved.

Though even with the problems, book 2 is still pretty good all things considered. Especially since it gave us the tale of the first avatar. And Varrick.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I can agree with the sentiment above that every season felt the same in that 80% was the group failing only to be deus ex machina'd in the end. I enjoyed the series, but Korra gets caught - character a saves her - Korra gets caught - character b saves her - Korra gets caught... got tiring.

Also the villains got exhausting just in general.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    I can agree with the sentiment above that every season felt the same in that 80% was the group failing only to be deus ex machina'd in the end. I enjoyed the series, but Korra gets caught - character a saves her - Korra gets caught - character b saves her - Korra gets caught... got tiring.

Also the villains got exhausting just in general.

I think season 3 did a better job of trading blows throughout. The villains kept facing setbacks, Korra and company made gains, then lost them when they overpressed. I mean, even little things like Zaheer going "Whelp, killing Raiko is off the table now." was a step up from season 1's nonstop string of victories for Amon.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I loved the arc of the good guys facing the Red Lotus villains. There was no easy win solution they were missing the whole time, they just needed to face them multiple times and work out their strengths and weaknesses. Like a big part of them losing the early encounters were the crazy unique abilities the bad guys were throwing out, stuff that people have never seen before. They were all defeated by the good guys learning to adapt. The only thing that maybe felt like a random solution was Bolin learning to lavabend, but eeh, once you've seen someone do something impossible, it seems a lot less impossible. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Yeah, I loved the arc of the good guys facing the Red Lotus villains. There was no easy win solution they were missing the whole time, they just needed to face them multiple times and work out their strengths and weaknesses. Like a big part of them losing the early encounters were the crazy unique abilities the bad guys were throwing out, stuff that people have never seen before. They were all defeated by the good guys learning to adapt. The only thing that maybe felt like a random solution was Bolin learning to lavabend, but eeh, once you've seen someone do something impossible, it seems a lot less impossible. ;P

Also, Bolin's wink there was perfect.

• Options
    SPKqeb5.jpg

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I really wanted Ghazan to survive.

Also, it seems weird to me that the Red Lotus mooks wore uniforms. Very organized for an organization all about disorder.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Unfortunately, not very well. I did think Zelda Williams did an excellent job in season four.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

My biggest criticism of season four is that it ended five seconds too soon.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    My biggest criticism of season four is that it ended five seconds too soon.

Kind of remarkable that it got as far as it did though!

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Unfortunately, not very well. I did think Zelda Williams did an excellent job in season four.

Eh, I think he sounded a lot like the wannabe revolutionaries I've encountered. Very in line with, "I'm an Anonymous fanboy and conspiracy theorist. I shall now pontificate on the FEMA camps which the sheeple don't want to admit to themselves are being built right under their noses!" A weird sort of overly earnest belief in his world view, which even if it's not presented smoothly, has an on-the-edge passion about it that can be enticing to those who feel powerless.

And, yes, Zelda was great in Book 4.

I think that's one of the reasons why I really enjoyed Book 3. It forced the new Team Avatar to really work as a team. Until then, they primarily dealt with singular threats. With the Red Lotus, they faced funhouse mirror versions of themselves, people who had no problem using their bending in new, unexpected, unorthodox ways.

Nightslyr on