As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[E3] is locked down for another year!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I still think one mod makes LFD fun
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPkD0fy5caM

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I'm surprised Battleborn hasn't already had a drastic shift in its pay model.

Like forcibly installing it on people's computers then demanding back-payment, ransomware-style?

Ah, so Gordon Ramsey DLC

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I'm surprised Battleborn hasn't already had a drastic shift in its pay model.

Like forcibly installing it on people's computers then demanding back-payment, ransomware-style?

Ah, so Gordon Ramsey DLC

Ramseyware.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

DRM

Digital Ramsey Management

DRM

Digital Ramsey Management

Ah yes, like the notorious SecuRAM(sey)

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Hopefully next time their game won't be "just another Left 4 Dead with a new skin"

Left 4 Dead was a better game with more content though

They wish Evolve was Left 4 Dead

And when the first Left 4 Dead hit, it was criticized for having too little content, and they churned out a sequel the following year

Evolve's reception was people finally catching on, its lack of success was deserved

Vow... Christ almighty, alright

First of all, Left 4 Dead was a co-op game first and foremost, its asymmetrical multiplayer was secondary. It was patched in like a month after release. Evolve had no co-op, it existed purely as a multiplayer game playing against another human

Second of all, Evolve is a 4v1 game, where Left 4 Dead was a 4v4 game. The two sides were asymetrical in gameplay, not in size. Evolve is both

Third, and most importantly to this entire conversation, Turtle Rock didn't make Left 4 Dead 2. That was Valve, after acquiring the IP during the initial development of Left 4 Dead

Like I'm not normally hostile to you, Vow, your absolutely baffling tastes aside I think you're a pretty smart guy

But these two posts here feel like they fell out of a fuckin' GameFAQs thread

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    That actually just makes me think even less of Turtle Rock, though

Because that just means they shipped two games with anemic content, and not Left 4 Dead 2 which apparently fixed that issue

EDIT: So good on Valve, I guess, which is something I rarely say

UnbreakableVow on
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Yeah I think it's kind of nuts they looked at the criticism of l4d1 and said "whatll fix it is less players!"

L4d1 most definitely was a purchase I regretted

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    edited July 2016
    I didn't regret my purchase of Left 4 Dead, because that game came out eight fuckin' years ago and standards were different then, plus it got plenty of post-release support

Left 4 Dead 2 eventually made it completely obsolete though, so I guess I didn't have to buy it at all, but I also got to play it for like a year and a half before that came out so whatever

But I knew from the moment they had fucking shoutcasts at E3 that Evolve was going to flop hard and fast. I just knew

I guess I'll play it for free though, I dunno. The gameplay always looked sorta fun, it was everything surrounding it that seemed ill-considered

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    evolve was a game I wanted to be good real bad

Jars wrote: »
    evolve was a game I wanted to be good real bad

On paper it sounds like a ton of fun

I mean I played The Hidden, hunter vs prey is an idea has merit

But it feels like they fucked up a ton of stuff in practice

It makes me think of Brink, in a weird way

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    If Evolve was free I'd install it on Steam and then never launch it before deleting it a year later to free up disc space.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    Fig-D wrote: »
    If Evolve was free I'd install it on Steam and then never launch it before deleting it a year later to free up disc space.

Well now you can live that dream

signature-deffo.jpg
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    L4D is one one of the best steam purchases I ever made. So much fun was had.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Left 4 Dead 2 is the best game Valve has ever released

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i wonder how many more failed esports have to happen before companies realize you don't get to just decide your game is an esport months or years before anyone even plays it

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I'm one of the few that liked L4D1 a lot more than 2, but I agree that it had a content problem.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Huh

Very interested to see what he does next

IKknkhU.gif
    Stilts wrote: »

Huh

Wonder if he and Vignocchi are forming a studio

Huh

Man

This industry really feels like musical chairs sometimes

signature-deffo.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Huh

Man

i mean the truth about most americans changing jobs like every two years because it's the best way to increase your income is as true for the gaming industry as everywhere else

liEt3nH.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Huh

Man

i mean the truth about most americans changing jobs like every two years because it's the best way to increase your income is as true for the gaming industry as everywhere else

even more so, given the way dev cycles on games work

congrats on spending 36 months toiling overtime on this game! it sold really well, fans love it! also everyone in production is getting laid off

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Brolo wrote: »

Huh

Man

even more so, given the way dev cycles on games work

congrats on spending 36 months toiling overtime on this game! it sold really well, fans love it! also everyone in production is getting laid off

although in boyes' case I think he was in sony's upper management which tends to not be part of the cullings
    I don't think I've heard of that kind of culling happening at sony in general either, they're a publisher rather than a developer

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Man I actually had no idea that there were complaints about Left 4 Dead's amount of content

I was too busy playing the game like every day for a month with PA people. Get four people together in a game with mics and play through an expert campaign and that game was a blast.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    content has always been a nebulous qualifier for me. People complained about a lack of content in Titanfall and I played that weekly for like 2 years and loved it

Prohass on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Man I actually had no idea that there were complaints about Left 4 Dead's amount of content

I was too busy playing the game like every day for a month with PA people. Get four people together in a game with mics and play through an expert campaign and that game was a blast.

Likewise, I was playing Destiny every day for a few months after release with friends

Doing things with friends generally makes things way more fun

But people's complaints about Destiny's lack of content were also valid

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    i wonder how many more failed esports have to happen before companies realize you don't get to just decide your game is an esport months or years before anyone even plays it

I mean... some people can. Blizzard. Capcom. Nintendo.

But yeah, it's always come across to me as profoundly arrogant when devs talk about esports when the game isn't even out.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I'm one of the few that liked L4D1 a lot more than 2, but I agree that it had a content problem.

Can I ask why you prefer 1 to 2? That isn't an opinion I'd heard before, and I'm curious about it

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

Can I ask why you prefer 1 to 2? That isn't an opinion I'd heard before, and I'm curious about it

i prefer 1 to 2, but i also didn't play 2 very much

so i knew the maps of 1 really well and loved the weapon/zombie selection, but 2 felt like a bunch of extra stuff and options i didn't really want, and maps that didn't immediately appeal

1 was really limited, but also really fun. one of those games where you're having enough fun with 1 map that it feels like totally enough, and anymore would dilute the experience

which is kinda silly--and i don't think i usually get that way about games--but that's how it felt for me

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I recall some people preferred the LFD1 survivors over thr LFD2 ones, also.

Undead Scottsman on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Esports are a silly thing
    Really esports happen on their own you cannot force it
    I really find the ideal of professional teams and sponsors silly as in the last couple of months killed a bunch of the ones in the US for some reason

I like the survivors better. The tone was a bit darker, it wasn't quite as self-aware. I liked the simplicity of the weapons more, it felt more quasi-realistic to find a shotgun in the wild than some sort of uber assault thing with fire bullets. I didn't particularly care for the new special infected. And I didn't really care for the New Orleans aesthetic.

2 is not a bad game by any means. It just felt like something was a bit off. I know they added the old stuff into 2, but it still has the new weapons and infected so still feels off.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I like the new special infected if only because they were like a laser guided solution to the most powerful strategies in L4D1

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Red Dead is up on Xbox One, visuals are the same but it runs smoother

6F32U1X.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I like the new special infected if only because they were like a laser guided solution to the most powerful strategies in L4D1

I like them in that regard, but I hated playing as some of them, namely the jockey. I felt like only ever rarely actually got on somebody without being murdered instantly vs playing against jockeys and them getting to ride people off into oblivion

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The Spitter is the really important one that makes bunkering down in one spot a less viable tactic

Huh

Wonder if he and Vignocchi are forming a studio renting an RV and traveling across the country

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Huh

Without any context this feels like a really great slam on Playstation

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Red Dead is up on Xbox One, visuals are the same but it runs smoother

Okay but what about that multiplayer DLC because playing poker was really the best part of it, other than just riding around in a wagon with each other watching the sunset and terrorizing random villagers.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Huh

Wonder if he and Vignocchi are forming a studio renting an RV and traveling across the country
    RV
    VR

COMING 2018