As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wurm Unlimited] Delicious flat road

NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together.Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
Checking for threads with Wurm in the title didn't show me anything with a more recent post than 2011, so if there actually is a preexisting thread, whoops!

Why am I making a thread about it? Blame @Buttcleft and his fascination with roads. There I was chugging along performing menial labor ingame, when I get a chat from someone asking me about what I'm playing.

Highlight reel from the conversation:
NFyt: I am currently in the process of moving literal thousands of units of dirt to make a ramp up to some rock so I can mine
NFyt: my cart can only hold 40 units at a time
NFyt: which was an upgrade from being able to bodily haul 2
Ea-nasir: ...
NFyt: to be fair, I probably didn't spawn in the best location for easy rockface access
Ea-nasir: so its like Life is Feudal: Your Own.
Ea-nasir: probably a little harder, from the sound of it.
Ea-nasir: but god.
Ea-nasir: Why does that tedious, menial labor you spoke off interest me so much
NFyt: because we are sad sad people
Ea-nasir: Indeed.
Ea-nasir: ..Indeed..

Ea-nasir: and all that..all that road and ramp work, all you?
Ea-nasir: by yourself?
NFyt: yup
Ea-nasir: hnnnggg
NFyt: dig dirt from hill, go dump onto ramp
NFyt: repeat
Ea-nasir: [removed link to prevent inlining, was a youtube of "stop, my penis can only get so erect"]

Ea-nasir: You have definitely piqued my interest now..to a degree that i regret talking to you, actually
NFyt: it is the perfect sort of 'why is this fun' sandbox drudgery to wile away the hours with
Ea-nasir: You really got me at dirt tedium and road making.
NFyt: also those aren't even proper roads yet, just packed dirt
NFyt: you can /pave/ them
Ea-nasir: I think i officially have a priapism
Ea-nasir: Yep, definitely regret talking to you about this now.

Ea-nasir: enjoy your game man, it sounds like lots of fun..and thats incredibly sad for the both of us.
NFyt: the joy of getting a house built is amplified when you have to actually work for it
NFyt: all this effort is towards getting iron so I can make nails in bulk
Ea-nasir: screw that, make roads. Nice, clean, perfectly flat roads, unless you have to go over something..then nice, perfectly sloped roads.

To my knowledge, Wurm Unlimited is the same as Wurm Online, except you get to host your own server with blackjack and hookers. This also has the side effect of turning off annoying MMO features like 'pay us money if you don't want your stats capped at 20 (disclaimer: I have no clue if WO even still does that, it did years ago when I played).

I have no clue how much stuff has changed in the five years since this game has had a thread, so I am hesitant to cheat and grab info from one of the old threads.

What is this game about?
On default server settings, you get dropped into the wilderness with a set of tools and from there it is up to you. There appears to be an adventure server option I don't recall from the mmo days where you start in a little town with a conch that you can listen to to start a quest or something. If there's any more knowledgeable Wurmians about I would not at all mind if people that know enough to give this game a proper sell would show up and talk about it. For all I know someone is already hosting a PA server.

Cut trees, start a farm, build a house, tame animals, all sorts of things you can do. Crafting and other interactions are generally more involved than in other games. Unless you have an appropriate tool set as 'active', you won't get the option to do things like cut down a tree or dig up dirt. Similarly, for crafting you have to have one of the crafting materials set as your active item and then use it on one of the other pieces. For larger items this will result in an 'unfinished' item that you need to slap further crafting materials against. One thing that's always thrown me at first is how the system doesn't really clarify things like how much of a thing you need. Kindling, for instance. To make a campfire, you need kindling. 1.5 weight units of it, to be specific, but the game never really explicitly tells you that. Luckily, kindling is crafted in 1.5 chunks. Unluckily, if you fail to make your fire, it eats 0.15 weight off your kindling. So then you go to try again and it's all YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TO DO THIS until you realize what it means by that and make some more kindling. Some items, kindling included, can have multiple stacks combined together into a single item, to deal with situations like this. Refined iron is also included, but you need to heat it up until it's glowing to be able to (and generally also to craft anything with it to begin with).

Related to this, the game has skills, and you don't really start with any. If you love games where you get to watch yourself whiff against a gribbly because it's the first time you've fought anything so all your combat skills haven't been touched yet, you are in luck! In general, failing a skill roll means you don't successfully do what you were doing/make what you were trying to make. This can mean different things depending on what you were doing. For super basic things like digging, you still get your pile of dirt, but it has a quality of 1. Higher quality is better, especially when you get to things where quality actually matters, like tools and stuff. On failed crafting, it seems to vary based on what you are trying to make, but either one of the materials will take some damage (which goes on a scale from 0-100, with presumably bad things happening at 100. Damage can be repaired at the cost of quality), or some of the mass(?) of the item will be lost.

Screenshots! I haven't gotten a house yet because building needs nails which needs iron and while you can find iron ore foraging around in the grass, I'd rather secure a reliable supply of the stuff before I try building anything that needs a lot of it. Problem is, my nearest rock face is waaaay up a super steep hill. Any slope steeper than 24 units will slide you back down, and anything more than around 30 you cannot walk up. You can climb, but it is slow, and you cannot regain stamina while climbing. So I have opted to make a dirt ramp so I can just walk up it. This has proven to be a far more massive undertaking than I was initially anticipating.
tvQ6YF5.jpg
The dirt ramp itself. Several hundreds of units of dirt have been dumped onto it, and there's several hundred left to go. Sadly a night shot, because the day/night cycle is pretty long and the day shot I have only got the top half of the ramp for some reason.

oh99Ewe.jpg
My 'home', such as it is. That section of exposed dirt used to be a hill. Assuming I want a level house once I start building it, I actually cannot dig any lower because there is a limit to how much dirt it will let you dig up from a tile, which means I need to import dirt for the ramp from farther away now. Those darker tiles at the back of it are some crops. Not sure where that square of corrupted texture or whatever came from, I wasn't noticing anything like that while I was playing.

k6MD090.jpg
Took a 'short' break from my ramp to dig a path down to the nearby water so I don't have to trudge back to the spawn area when I get thirsty. This is set behind my flattened hill in the previous screenshot. I was originally gonna use the dirt from this for the ramp, but I ended up needing it all at the bottom to level out the slope.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
Warframe/Steam: NFyt

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I dreamed about digging dirt last night, because of you.

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    I'll play wurm, but only if goomba plays

l3icwZV.png
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I always get all excited about these games, and then remember I'm in Australia and nobody's actually online at the times that I actually have free time to play :(

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I'm sure @Buttcleft has been eagerly awaiting news on this, my ramp is finally complete!
    sdYlW9Q.jpg
    Technically not 100% finalized, there's some slope irregularities up at the top, but after the amount of dirt I have shifted it is minor enough it can wait. Dug in a few tiles, found the iron I prospected on the surface, and mined out a bunch so I can make metal things.

dlqHOlK.jpg
    Finally got around to gathering together all the logs I had chopped up so they aren't littering my paths. That jumble of rock in front of my forge is a pile of rock chunks from my mining, those rock looking things in front of my house scaffold aren't actual items, just some annoying tile clutter. Gonna have to go into my options and reduce the density of tile clutter I'm thinking. You can sorta see it peeking out from behind my one finished section of wall, but my house is a u shape, and inside the u is a sundial marking the center of a settlement. I figure Wurm Unlimited doesn't make you pay upkeep on a settlement, may as well have one for whatever all benefits it gives.

:edit: BONUS PICTURES! Started up a clean server instance, this is what the area looked like before I started.
    SypbJHN.jpg
    mJLYBbK.jpg

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    so the map isn't randomized or anything, its the same map every time? @NEO|Phyte

Also you don't have any type of walls of fencing or anything along that ramp, that is hardly complete!

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The adventure mode server config appears to be on a different map at least, I have no clue if there is a way to generate custom maps, mostly because I didn't bother to check.
    :edit: poking around the game files, not seeing a built-in way to make maps, but a google search suggests that it is possible and someone has made a generator to automate it.

NEO|Phyte on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure you can download new maps.

That said, the world is fuck off huge.

Man, I think I still have a bunch of pics from our last concentrated PA village. It was a glorious time!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    goddamnit why did I have to blow my last disposable funds on a stupid fucking doctor, I want to play in the digital dirt goddamnit

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    For those that like Wurm you should checkout 7 Days to Die on Steam. I played Wurm for a small bit a long time ago and 7 Days to Die feels like a great enhancement to this game. It's still early access though and it has zombies, but it has your dirt digging and building aspects.

urahonky wrote: »
    For those that like Wurm you should checkout 7 Days to Die on Steam. I played Wurm for a small bit a long time ago and 7 Days to Die feels like a great enhancement to this game. It's still early access though and it has zombies, but it has your dirt digging and building aspects.

I would say, from what I've seen from neo and watching some videos, that Wurm unlimited is closer to Life is Feudal: Your Own than 7 days to die.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    That's the game I was trying to think of!

Yes, Life is Feudal felt very much like a spiritual successor to Wurm. Not nearly as complex, but fun.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

I would say, from what I've seen from neo and watching some videos, that Wurm unlimited is closer to Life is Feudal: Your Own than 7 days to die.

Oh I'm sure. I was just pointing out that there's probably a good amount of people that enjoyed Wurm that would enjoy 7 Days to Die and vice versa.

Bringing the thread back to life.

Wurm Unlimited is on sale, at Green Man Gaming for only $8.79