As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Character Obsession

PandiosPandios Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Artist's Corner
I have been drawing whenever I get the chance too. I also lurk here when I can. I like to draw, nowhere near where I want to be but I am proud of some of the improvement I have made. Anyways, I decided to join this community to help myself out

Backstory, this was for a graphic novel I was writing. The story is unimportant as I have scratched the project and am now working on another but I was obsessed with drawing this character over and over again. I find it easier to draw female characters because of the curvey lines that are needed.

I look forward to your critical critique and if someone could point me toward's some tutorials on coloring that would be great. Also if someone could give me tips on more refined lines I would love you

girl4.jpg

olgaactionpose1-2.jpg

olgapose2-1.jpg

futureolga3color.jpg

Pokemon Diamond FC: 2535 0092 4159

BRAWL: 4768-7107-9123
Pandios on

• Options
    galengalen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So is she like some sort of Christian avenger or something?

Um, I'll just say that your art is nowhere near where it needs to be in order to write a graphic novel. Can you do backgrounds? Perspective?

As for getting smoother lines, instead of that sketching motion of going a little bit, going back, going a little more, etc, just draw a smooth line. It takes practice.

galen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I know, this is a long process for me and I didn't mean I plan to start tomorrow. I don't expect to get started until a year or two while i write and practice.

yeah the smooth line thing is tough like you said but I will practice!

Thanks very much for the advice

Pandios on

• Options
    ScottEwenScottEwen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I use the "back and forth" motion while building the frames for characters, but then I lightly erase the lines and go over again with smooth lines while adding the clothes and details.

Is it possible you're skipping that step?

ScottEwen on
    I draw this comic: http://www.thesundayscomic.com
    And then I have a deviantART here: http://scottewen.deviantart.com
    And I tweet: http://www.twitter.com/scottewenartist
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    you know that does sound like a step i do miss. Would it be a good idea after the rough figure is finished I then add another layer and outline like that.I do that sometimes, I think my biggest obstacle is going to be the long smooth strokes

Pandios on

• Options
    CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you insist on drawing your lines digitally- which I don't really recommend at the level you seem to be at, you should use a layer for all your construction work, and then a layer for your more refined lines. Don't just go balls out straight away.

Edit: So- actually what you suggested... now that I actually read your post.....but I highly recommend it....

Heres a good example of making the awesome

I think you would be better off personally if you draw it with pencil and ink those lines digitally.

Another thing is that guns don't look cool straight on like that. They just look like uninteresting squares. Turn those babies a little bit. Show us that they are guns.

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That's good advice cybermonkey Im going to try that, are there any tutorials around the forums about getting good scans?

Thank you all for the advice

Pandios on