As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

USA Presidential Election 2016: Screams from My Father

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    That's it. We're all fucked. It was a good run, but we aren't joining the intergalactic neighborhood any time soon. They wouldn't want us, anyway.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    yeah well fuck em

PNk1Ml4.png
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    yeah well fuck em

That's how you get space herpes.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • DedpuppyDedpuppy Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    yeah well fuck em

That's how you get space herpes.

I...kinda want space herpes. Just to see what it does. Who knows, it may give you superpowers

f9uosTq.png

Battle.net:Ritalynn#1974
    XBL: Tranewrek
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    probably something along the lines of the human torch

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Turns out we are space herpes

Who knew right?

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I wish the endless killings of POC garnered the outrage that seems to be reserved for cop death

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Dubh wrote: »
    I wish the endless killings of POC garnered the outrage that seems to be reserved for cop death

Well good news! Five cops are dead because of that kind of outrage!

Fucks sake...

Edit: I know that's now what you're looking for, but god damn. It's not a fucking contest as to who can be most outraged. The truth is a LOT of people are fucking disgusted by it all. The media doesn't reflect that, but ACTUAL HUMAN BEINGS are furious about all of this. So, yeah, pretty sure that sentiment is there.

Fawst on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Black man gets shot? Shitty business as usual. Police officer gets shot? All hell has broken loose fuck this gay earth etc.

There's a huge shift in narrative going on here, and it's draining to observe

Miss me? Find me on:

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Not to take away from the death of five people.

But there is definitely a systematic victimisation of PoC in terms of them being shot and killed by the authorities, and I do not believe there is any such systematic victimisation of the police (haha I mean come on), never mind how much they might love to paint themselves as the unloved defenders of real America.

The deaths of people is, in the sense that all people are worthy of life, an equal tragedy to the deaths of other people. We do not count the cost and worth of a life. However what those deaths are symptomatic of is, on the one hand, far more horrific, widespread and devastating than the other. And so while I am sorry those police officers died, I must join Dubh in wishing that the outrage for their death was matched by the outrage garnered by the deaths of PoC.

Solar on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    We all know the true Suffering Competition is whether you get a Facebook profile filter

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I've been pretty outraged about all of it. I mentioned the 2 new incidents because it's relevant. Apologies if it came off in some other fashion.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Black man gets shot? Shitty business as usual. Police officer gets shot? All hell has broken loose fuck this gay earth etc.

There's a huge shift in narrative going on here, and it's draining to observe

I get pissed off at this post because it's true :(

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    All lives are equal.

I just posted that to my Facebook. Let's see how nuts my conservative family goes.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I think people (here at least) are less expressing anger at the fact that police died and more that it's going to galvanize the people defending the police and make a hard cultural battle even harder

Speed Racer on
    I haven't even covered the blame being slopped on BLM for those dead cops

Miss me? Find me on:

I think people (here at least) are less expressing anger at the fact that police died and more that it's going to galvanize the people defending the police and make a hard cultural battle even harder

True!

I mean, I also am upset that cops got shot. But it's not the only thing that's upsetting.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    There's definitely a shift in the narrative that makes the lives of cops seem somehow more valuable than the lives of victimized persons of color, but I'm fairly confident that the answer to that conundrum is not to start shooting random police officers.

The situation is heartbreaking and frustrating, but further violence won't do anything besides cause an already volatile situation to become even worse.

[IMG][/img]
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The Pulse shooter claims he's part of ISIS: "Of course, it's them muslim behind it!"

Dallas shooter expresses frustration with BLM and makes it clear he's an ACTUAL lone wolf: "hmm must be one of them Only Black Lives Matters folk"

It's like a racist rorschach

Turkey on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah
    The whole all cops solidarity blue lives matter thing is ridiculous

All lives matter

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    This should Help Calm Both sides

“I think [the Obama administration] continued appeasements at the federal level with the Department of Justice, their appeasement of violent criminals, their refusal to condemn movements like Black Lives Matter, actively calling for the death of police officers, that type of thing, all the while blaming police for the problems in this country has led directly to the climate that has made Dallas possible,” William Johnson, the executive director of the National Association of Police Organizations, said in an interview with Fox on Friday morning.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

True!

I mean, I also am upset that cops got shot. But it's not the only thing that's upsetting.

Yeah no sorry I'm not trying to say that it's not upsetting that cops got murdered

There's definitely a shift in the narrative that makes the lives of cops seem somehow more valuable than the lives of victimized persons of color, but I'm fairly confident that the answer to that conundrum is not to start shooting random police officers.

The situation is heartbreaking and frustrating, but further violence won't do anything besides cause an already volatile situation to become even worse.

Wait was someone advocating for that

• SolarSolar Registered User regular

I don't believe that anybody has suggested that it is

More that when a police officer gets shot, people are far more agitated than when a PoC gets shot. In the US' wider political discourse, this is rather evident. The life of a Police Officer is not worth any more than the life of anyone else but in common culture people's lives absolutely are costed and valued in proportion to a number of things about them (wealth, ethnicity, sexual orientation etc).

Wait was someone advocating for that

nobody here

Miss me? Find me on:

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

“I think [the Obama administration] continued appeasements at the federal level with the Department of Justice, their appeasement of violent criminals, their refusal to condemn movements like Black Lives Matter, actively calling for the death of police officers, that type of thing, all the while blaming police for the problems in this country has led directly to the climate that has made Dallas possible,” William Johnson, the executive director of the National Association of Police Organizations, said in an interview with Fox on Friday morning.
    Fucking WHERE you shit eating little pissant

On what fucking planet has this happened

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Fucking WHERE you shit eating little pissant

On what fucking planet has this happened

he can't hear you

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

I don't believe that anybody has suggested that it is

More that when a police officer gets shot, people are far more agitated than when a PoC gets shot. In the US' wider political discourse, this is rather evident. The life of a Police Officer is not worth any more than the life of anyone else but in common culture people's lives absolutely are costed and valued in proportion to a number of things about them (wealth, ethnicity, sexual orientation etc).

I think I might've misread the intent of -Tal's post as "Fuck the police" instead of "Fuck aliens."

My bad.

[IMG][/img]
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    in what way does that man imagine Obama has "appeased violent criminals"?

I'm pretty sure all you would get in response to this question is a bunch of angry sputtering.

Maybe a racial slur or two.

[IMG][/img]
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Pretty sure that guy thinks that Trayvon Martin was a dangerous criminal.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Obama didn't declare that police were our saviors and all who protest them enemies of the state. Anything else is treason in this guy's mind.

European nations historically have had a "fascist element" problem with their police forces, and it seems America has developed their own version of the problem.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular

Something-something immigration, blatantly unconstitutional executive orders something-something

Obama didn't declare that police were our saviors and all who protest them enemies of the state. Anything else is treason in this guy's mind.

European nations historically have had a "fascist element" problem with their police forces, and it seems America has developed their own version of the problem.

developed? it was around from the beginning

Miss me? Find me on:

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Woo page 100

Woo...4 more months to go...

• JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Look, according to my inside source Donny T. Rump it's because Obama hasn't built a wall to keep out Mexicans, because as you know they're rapists, they're criminals, some, I assume, are good people and that is why Obama has appeased violent criminals.

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Turns out we are space herpes

Who knew right?

PBF248-Transmission.jpg

sig.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it's how police unions behave everywhere, really

a couple years ago when a police here shot a mentally ill guy, the union actually marched in solidarity with him

it's just like, look guys. In the long run this kind of thing is what that attitude gets you. If there's a huge segment of people who in a place who don't believe that the law will treat them equitably, eventually they're going to start behaving lawlessly.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Did this get mentioned in this thread?
    TL DR wrote: »
    Has this been posted?

Facebook ‘glitch’ that deleted the Philando Castile shooting vid: It was the police
    The deadly shooting of 32-year-old Philando Castile by a cop during a routine traffic stop in Minnesota on Wednesday just got murkier.

Multiple sources have told The Register that police removed video footage of Castile's death from Facebook, potentially tampering with evidence.

Castile, his girlfriend Diamond Reynolds, and her four-year-old daughter were pulled over by police in the Falcon Heights suburb of Minneapolis for a broken tail light. Using her cellphone and Facebook Live, Reynolds web-streamed footage of her dying boyfriend after he was shot by a police officer as he reached for his ID in his wallet. The video was mysteriously removed from her Facebook profile as it went viral across the internet.

On Thursday, Facebook said a “technical glitch" caused the recording to be pulled from its social network. However, Reynolds claimed officers seized her phone and took over her Facebook account to delete the evidence.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Did this get mentioned in this thread?
    TL DR wrote: »
    Has this been posted?

Facebook ‘glitch’ that deleted the Philando Castile shooting vid: It was the police
    The deadly shooting of 32-year-old Philando Castile by a cop during a routine traffic stop in Minnesota on Wednesday just got murkier.

Multiple sources have told The Register that police removed video footage of Castile's death from Facebook, potentially tampering with evidence.

Castile, his girlfriend Diamond Reynolds, and her four-year-old daughter were pulled over by police in the Falcon Heights suburb of Minneapolis for a broken tail light. Using her cellphone and Facebook Live, Reynolds web-streamed footage of her dying boyfriend after he was shot by a police officer as he reached for his ID in his wallet. The video was mysteriously removed from her Facebook profile as it went viral across the internet.

On Thursday, Facebook said a “technical glitch" caused the recording to be pulled from its social network. However, Reynolds claimed officers seized her phone and took over her Facebook account to delete the evidence.

Add this to the Baton Rouge officers who took the surveillance footage from that convenience store before the owner could see it and without a warrant. Now it is appearently "missing"

This discussion has been closed.