As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flashing Monitor, and chattering fan

locopostallocopostal Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
My computer is doing an interesting thing...about every minute to 5 minutes, everything turns red, just for a second, then back to normal. This is something I haven't noticed before, but its been happening all morning. I've checked all my connections, and they seem to be fine. I've got an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 Ultra video card, and an NEC MultiSync LCD1765 Flatpanel monitor.

is one of these about to die on me, or am I simply being paranoid? What can I try to fix this?

Also: one of the fans in my system makes an INCREDIBLY annoying chattering noise. Its near constant when the computer is on. It'll go away for a minute or two if I tap the back near the fans, but comes back pretty quick. Someone's suggested WD-40. Is this a good idea?

locopostal on

• Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    WD-40 is not a good idea on the fan, as it doesn't have much oil or something like that. Use some synthetic oil on the bearings, you can access them by getting the sticker off the stationary part of the fan and there should be a hole or a hole with a cap underneath - open it and drop some oil in there.

I haven't got an idea about the monitor problem; I'd guess something broke inside it - you can check if it's the monitor by hooking it up to some other computer.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    locopostallocopostal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    awesome, the fan's near dead silent now, thanks.

as for the monitor, well, its stopped the crazy, so...whatever.

locopostal on