As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

business casual

budecbudec Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Monday I'm going to our corporate office in NY, I need to be "business casual". I have a lot of good shirts, but need suggestions on pants. Can I just wear khakis or cargo pants? I heard that I wasn't suppose to wear white anymore cause it was past labor day? So I can't wear a white shirt?

Tie isn't required.

Black pants? Can I go wrong with black pants? What about Tan pants?

Also how the crap do I tuck my shirt in? Every time I tuck it in, it looks all goofy and stupid.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Billgates.jpg

That made me laugh for some reason.

ninjasig.jpg
budec on

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Khaki pants, no cargos, nice-ish belt, dress shirt, no tie.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    What about white or light colors? It's fall where I'm from.

budec on
    ninjasig.jpg
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    What do you mean how to tuck in your shirt? What type of shirt is it?

Serpent on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    They are normal button up shirts:

http://www.ewvision.citymax.com/i/Lobster%20Shirt/tn_lobster_shirt_web_3.jpg
    http://www.wholesalesarong.com/wholesale-clothing/KSH10J.jpg
    http://www.cdockpirates.com/images/skullmonster.jpg
    http://www.teamemblem.com/lotimage/wovacusticguitar.jpg

The type you button up and tuck in. Business casual type of shirts that are meant to be all tucked in... tucked into the pants. :winky:

budec on
    ninjasig.jpg
  • Options
    jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I work in buisness casual. Cargo pants are out, but sweater, dress shirt, polo shirts all fly. I hate tucking my shirt in so I usually just wear a sweater, lol.

jhunter46 on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you're a guy, that whole white after labor day thing really doesn't apply.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You usually can't go wrong with black slacks.

Doc is pretty much right, but don't forget the shoes. No tennis shoes, although you don't usually need fancy dress shoes either. Something like Rockports are usually pretty good.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    embedded_cembedded_c Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Are you going to wear a shirt with lobsters on it?? :?

The easiest thing to do is go to one of those men's clothing stores (e.g. Men's Wearhouse or something) and ask one of the guys there. Tell 'em your budget and what you are wanting, and they'll hook you up. You'll only feel weird the first time you do it.

embedded_c on
    embedded+C.png
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    For future reference, the shirts you linked are most definately not business casual. just casual.

Remember, business casual starts with business. It is taking business and making it more casual, not taking casual and making it more business. This is also why cargo pants don't apply -- cargo pants are most definately casual.

My standard 'business casual' is dress pants, sports jacket, or a suit, + business collared shirt minus the tie, or a turtle neck shirt (not sweater). The jacket is optional but is really what makes it 'business' to me, as opposed to 'office wear'. 'Office wear' is considered business casual though.

You know those guys in board rooms wearing suits and ties? that is business. Make it a bit more casual -- lose the tie or the jacket or both. That is business casual.

business_casual.jpg

edit:
    for tucking in, tuck them in tight, then pull it out a bit evenly. Raise your hands over your head and see if it pulls the shirt out -- if it does, you're going to mess up your shirt just by moving around. Adjust as needed. That's what i do.

Serpent on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    thanks guys.

btw, those are my shirts that I linked to. Just an example of the type of shirt I was taking about... the ones that button up in front.

budec on
    ninjasig.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Dalboz wrote:
    ...but don't forget the shoes.

Good advice for any situation. A lot of people (ladies!) take notice of what shoes a guy wears.

Doc on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Best and most comfortable business casual ive found is a nice solid color shirt, it can be either button up or polo, and some khaki pants. Make sure it fits. Too big or too small and youll look like you borrowed someone elses clothes. Take your shit to a tailor if you have to, its like 5 bucks to fix a pair of pants. Shirts are a lot more, so its easier to buy one that fits in the first place. Also make sure its ironed, if it needs to be. Wrinkles make you look like you were in a rush to get to work, or are too lazy to give a shit. A jacket is generally not needed, unless you want to wear one because of the weather.

Tucking the shirt in is always the hardest part for me, probably because i used to be fat and im self concious about clothes that outline my body. Best way ive found is to tuck the shirt in really tight, lift your arms straight up above your head, and then fold the shirt over so its almost covering your belt. if theres a lot of slack, tuck it back in, but make sure there is enough folded over the belt so that if you move, stretch, or have to reach up high, the shirt doesnt come untucked and make you look like a slob.

And yes, shoes are important. Dont wear running shoes. Black dress shoes or something similarily formal.

Also, i feel your pain. I hate when we visit an office that has business casual dress code, or worse, suit and tie. Just makes me appreciate my office so much more. Im sure the clients would die if they ever saw what we wear to work :lol:

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Tucking a lot easier if you tuck while pants are unbuttoned. Then you adjust accordingly. Remember to align your shirt buttons and your fly.

Simple = good here. Ditch the short-sleeved button-up shirts and get a single-color long one. No patterns or prints. A sky-blue shirt with a pair of regulation-tan khakis is perfect for what you're looking for--notice how in Serpent's image, dark colors on top mean light colors on bottom, and vice-versa. It's not a rules, but it's a good guideline.

Also, ditch the cotton socks. Get some brown or black wool dress socks (you'll find them in the men's show department), because when you sit down, your pant cuffs will raise. White cotton socks are a no-no, just as tennis or canvas shoes are a no-no.

One optional piece would be a nice-looking watch, but that isn't necessary. Only if you already have one.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    CircularCircular Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Remember to match the colors of leathers--belt and shoes (wear a belt even if you don't need one, and as was previously pointed out, sneakers are no good). If one's brown the other should be brown, and if one's black the other should be as well. Socks should match as well.

Circular on
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Circular wrote:
    Remember to match the colors of leathers--belt and shoes (wear a belt even if you don't need one, and as was previously pointed out, sneakers are no good). If one's brown the other should be brown, and if one's black the other should be as well. Socks should match as well.

If you're wearing brown shoes and khaki pants, your socks should be lighter than your shoes but darker than your pants.

Alpine on
  • Options
    haroOharoO Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    yea, unless you are wearing some white tweed gettup or white shoes with white pants then the labor day thing doesnt apply to you. id suggest a simple dress shirt with a tie (half windsor) and some slacks if you are short, khakis if you are tall. match your belt/shoes and you should be good.

haroO on

haha made you look