As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, October 18, 2013 - Tall Grass, Big Stakes

13»

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I haven't played the games since Red/Blue but I saw some cartoons when I was a kid and those motherfuckers get straight up battered, burnt, and electrocuted. If it were live action instead of a cartoon it would look like fucking Django Unchained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adFPJOLB-fc

the sound of euphoric joy yo

What the god damned fuck?

If I had watched that as a kid it would have haunted me in my dreams. That's a really unsettling foley they made.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    In other words, Pokemon keeps setting themselves up for questions their setting and gameplay demands they not answer.

I don't really expect a massively popular flagship children's game to answer the darker questions directly, but considering how the NPCs all have some surprisingly dark statements even about everyday things and quite a few of the pokedex entries paint an incredibly bleak picture... I can't help but feel there's a certain intent about showing this world as trying to stop the momentum it has gotten up
    heading toward a repeat of the war 3,000 years ago
    and the populace mostly dismissing the core concept because of a group of extremists being the most well-known proponents. Team Flare ends up looking sorta like PETA, in that way.

I mean, even if Game Freak isn't that intelligent, they certainly do seem to try in some cases. I don't think there's any harm at least trying to read into some of it, considering how pop cartoonists and animators would do the same thing from time to time even at places like Disney. Why would they even bring up these questions and only be able to knock them down with incredibly terrible answers, unless they were trying to underscore the absolute absurdity of those answers?
    Tube wrote: »
    Squirtle doesn't even get bite!

Actually he did, even back in Gen 1. It was a normal attack back then so it might be confusing to remember. Now that it's a Dark (aka Evil, in the Japanese version) attack, it might make sense that there's all that screaming...

What I'm getting at is that basically, Pokemon could tell a better story by knowing their limitations and not focusing on a story that is about stuff they can't deal with. Chickening out at the last second with half assed cop outs, as with Black and White, is more unfulfilling ultimately than a more black and white (har har) save the world plot.

I think they should double down and focus on their strengths, namely ADVENTURE TIIIIIME

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    RandomesqueRandomesque Registered User regular
    Once you fire a bullet, you don't bother to pick up the casing. Weedle has been expended.