As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BREXIT] Farewell Europe, and thanks for all the Fish stocks

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    So I guess the Queen needs to haul back to London?

Nah, she can just stay in Scotland if she likes, let them come to her. (no idea what the actual rules are for this)

That is the opposite of the actual rules

Now is not a time for rules

Now is a time for Liz to play the biggest wide game ever

Cameron turns up at the Palace of Holyroodhouse, only to be met with a footman who hands him a note saying to meet him at Hillsborough Castle

He gets to NI only to find a message flying from the flag pole: "Nice try, schweinschtupper, I'm in Sandringham"

He's met in Norfolk by a corgi carrying a map of the Balmoral estate

When he reaches Aberdeenshire a Scots Guard hands him a compass, a canteen of fresh water, and a paintball rifle

And now the hunt truly begins

I can't believe you didn't go for the "Your Queen is in another castle" joke.

shit

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So I'm just now reading an old (March) article from Tariq Ali on the rise of Corbyn. It's one of those pieces that is about a bazillion times more interesting in hindsight.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    So I'm just now reading an old (March) article from Tariq Ali on the rise of Corbyn. It's one of those pieces that is about a bazillion times more interesting in hindsight.

So I read that at the time wondering how far Corbyn could get by just ignoring his many detractors, and I still don't know if we've reached the point where that strategy stops working or not. On the one hand it looks like he hasn't got a lot of clout if he isn't on the leadership ballot, but who knows.

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Sky news is quite right wing (I'd argue the UK version of Fox news).

However that split isn't far off I bet

• 101101 Registered User regular
    Mandate!

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Oh and in regards to the Queen

Yes she has ultimate power but it's understood that she'd never actually pull the trigger without having complete support.

Because dissolving parliament without massive support from the general public would have her removed from power.

Someone threw a brick through Angela Eagle's office, and she's cancelled an event today due to threats.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    The left wing in England is a fucking joke at the moment.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I'm trying to effect stoic resignation about all this. It's hard.

To help, I've booked a road trip holiday to mainland Britain.

Do a tour of the biggest pro-Leave regions and throw euros at them just to rub it in.

tynic wrote: »

Do a tour of the biggest pro-Leave regions and throw euros at them just to rub it in.

Cairnryan, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Berwick, Alnwick, Newcastle, Durham, York, Leeds, Manchester, Chester, Tywyn, Snowdonia, Caernarfon, Anglesey

So where in that list to I start chucking?

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

So wait. The old PM gets hauled away in an unmarked van to make way for a new PM the people didn't even vote for? How is this NOT a bloodless coup? :P

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    I'm seeing a theme there ...

It's fucking stupid every time an opposition party does the "we didn't vote for the new PM!" thing. Yeah they didn't vote for them last time this happened to you either, that's the system, shut up.

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    It's fucking stupid every time an opposition party does the "we didn't vote for the new PM!" thing. Yeah they didn't vote for them last time this happened to you either, that's the system, shut up.

Australia has had 5 prime ministers in 5 years. I'm so sick of hearing this. They even went so far as to claim one of them was never a legitimate PM because she first replaced a sitting PM and then governed through minority after the election.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    I have a two year limit on bothering to learn the name of the new Australian prime minister.

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Chances are the current one won't last another year either.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    I have a two year limit on bothering to learn the name of the new Australian prime minister.

So Canberra's been a lawless wasteland with no leader this decade?

So Canberra's been a lawless wasteland with no leader this decade?

Only a decade?

• ZythonZython Registered User regular

I was just being facetious. I'm American.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython

The Mirror raised the point that May was one of those calling for Gordon Brown to call an election

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

uh oh Larry and Palmerston have been in talks!

Palmerston works in the Forgein Office.

• necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular

tbf, a Labour MP was murdered not that long ago

edited July 2016
    necroSYS wrote: »

By a Far Right Nutter

So somebody who supports Corbyn resorting to intimidation and harassment is even more disgusting than usual

RMS Oceanic on
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Don't chuck bricks people, what you need to do to be heard is join the Labour party and vote in a leadership election, engage in the proper process.

• necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    necroSYS wrote: »

By a Far Right Nutter

So somebody who supports Corbyn resorting to intimidation and harassment is even more disgusting than usual

yeah, I think I misread Tube's comment as a response to Eagle's office closing, not a more general statement on the left wing (which is absolutely a shambles)

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Good news, everyone!

Looks like Brexit might be the final push to topple the Italian banking system:

wsj.com/articles/brexit-exposes-eurozones-weak-spot-italys-banks-1467567131

Half of the 24 Prime Ministers since 1916 have come to power without a general election

• SolarSolar Registered User regular

Theresa May has exactly as much of a constitutional right to be PM as Cameron did. It was a stupid thing for her to say to Brown, and it's a stupid criticism to level at her.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Is "knife edge vote" code for "stabbing"?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

No, stabbing is done with the point

Slashing is done with the edge

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Gah, you're right!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Gah, you're right!

Now you must return to your home dimension

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Forcing Corbyn off the ballot will do Labour more harm than good.

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Vote was 17 - 15 for secret ballot

That probably means that he's off the ballot

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Karl wrote: »
    Oh and in regards to the Queen

Yes she has ultimate power but it's understood that she'd never actually pull the trigger without having complete support.

Because dissolving parliament without massive support from the general public would have her removed from power.

So all she has to do is be way more popular than Parliament? ...Wait, by god, the woman's playing the long con!

Gundi on