As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokemon Thread: Shaymin you if you don't get your Shaymin through Mystery Gift this month!

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    the fact that they included eggs but not existing baby forms for the first 150 is a little goofy

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    i'm the opposite, shove as many pokemon in as you can as fast as you can

ideally a large swathe of any given person's collection should be unique to them IMO

See you're absolutely in the minority there. A game like this needs limited, staggered release of content because user interest will wane quickly without an infusion of content at regular intervals. Heck, if there was too much content it would probably actually reduce adoption because it would be overwhelming. That's why in the main games you don't get the full Pokedex from the start (heck, X and Y even split the local dex into multiple parts to make it less daunting).

Also I think having Pokemon be unique to specific players would be counterproductive as well, as it seems a good deal of this game involves someone getting something and everyone else going "what? where!?" Making things exclusive would demotivate folks, especially since trading isn't a thing yet.

Like, if I got a new Pokemon game and you could get Shuckle in your copy but I couldn't get Shuckle in mine, I'd be pissed.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I thought it'd be awesome if each region got a pokemon list from a different gen.
    Then I remembered how broke I am.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    I thought it'd be awesome if each region got a pokemon list from a different gen.
    Then I remembered how broke I am.

In two years, when they're rolling out Gen VI, Vivillion is gonna get nuts.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i'm not saying you couldn't get a shuckle

just that the RNG is pulling out of a much bigger bag, so that you might get a shuckle but you probably won't

but also yeah there should be trading if and when it reaches that point

• Options

just that the RNG is pulling out of a much bigger bag, so that you might get a shuckle but you probably won't

If you tell me I could get Shuckle but probably won't, I'll tell you to take your badly made game and shove it. The whole reason this game is popular is because it's telling people they CAN get the Pokemon they love.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    trashy and terrible

awful

piece of fucking garbage

But enough about your posting

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

If you tell me I could get Shuckle but probably won't, I'll tell you to take your badly made game and shove it. The whole reason this game is popular is because it's telling people they CAN get the Pokemon they love.

i dunno i mean you technically can get, say, a gyarados, but only if you collect a metric fuckload of magikarps

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I just want to chase down some Poochyenas

• Options

i dunno i mean you technically can get, say, a gyarados, but only if you collect a metric fuckload of magikarps

Right, it's available if you put in the work. That's way different from something random where you can put in as much effort as you want and will still never get the thing you want. That's bad effort-reward design.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    My little brother is totally outpacing me in this game. He's had it for half the time and he's nearly the same level as me. Plus he's got Electabuzz, Pidgeot, and other cool shit and my best pokemon are the ones I just hatched on my recent walk:
    Z0Fj36X.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2016

Right, it's available if you put in the work. That's way different from something random where you can put in as much effort as you want and will still never get the thing you want. That's bad effort-reward design.

it's random whether or not you can find the magikarps though

so far i've only found one, if i want a gyarados i'm gonna need 50

similarly if you were pulling from the full list of pokemon it would take more walking around to find specific ones you want becasue the odds of any given pokemon would be lower

i'm fine with them launching with only the original 150 but among other things i want to see them add i want more pokemon to get added a relatively fast pace

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    So do I need the app on and active on my phone when walking to count towards eggs?

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Veretas wrote: »
    So do I need the app on and active on my phone when walking to count towards eggs?

yep, the app doesn't do anything at all when it's running in the background

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    It'd be interesting if, instead of moving onto the next generation, they used a curated list of Pokemon from across all generations based on the specific needs of the game. Like, extra com-mons, dark types, more steel types, fan favorites, more Pokes from specific types of terrain, all Pokemon related to the first 151, etc. But that would fuck with Pokedex numbers and each generation seems pretty balanced anyway.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    It does have a "power saver" mode to turn on though. When on, it makes the phone's screen go dark when the phone is upside down with the app still running.

You still get alerts about nearby 'mons, so just make sure your phone is not set to sleep or whatever automatically while you play and you're good to go with it in your pocket.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Barbaracle is great. Turning this

PollClusterWjuv.jpg

into this

250px-689Barbaracle.png

is legit inspired imo.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    I staunchly do not want them to add new pokemon at a fast pace

I want them to add new ones, but like...I don't want to see johto pokemon for a bit. I honestly don't know what the timeframe I want is, but not like....in two weeks

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    aw yeah, finally found one of my faves at a respectable level for the present

1rw260bg1aw7.png

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    T4CT wrote: »

I want them to add new ones, but like...I don't want to see johto pokemon for a bit. I honestly don't know what the timeframe I want is, but not like....in two weeks

Yeah I think the timing of new Pokemon has to be very deliberate. Too soon and it's overwhelming, too late and too many people might have moved on. It's got to be calibrated so right when most people have gotten everything from the first wave that they care about, a new wave shows up.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Yeah I want to catch 'em all before they add more.

• Options
    can we talk about how adorable Nidoran looks in this game?

I like him a lot, this game makes me like him a LOT

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Just letting everyone know that I won't be posting the new OP, since I'm probably going on blackout with new Sun/Moon info, and I don't have Go.

• Options

Yeah I think the timing of new Pokemon has to be very deliberate. Too soon and it's overwhelming, too late and too many people might have moved on. It's got to be calibrated so right when most people have gotten everything from the first wave that they care about, a new wave shows up.

exactly! exactly this thing! and I acknowledge I will not have filled my pokedex, but I still think this game has legs with just the OG 150, and I would rather they spend time developing out a few more gameplay features for the game first and then worry about developing Gen2 assets and onward

• Options
    Just letting everyone know that I won't be posting the new OP, since I'm probably going on blackout with new Sun/Moon info, and I don't have Go.

Should we @ you if any particularly good Rowlett art surfaces?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Look, I just want my fucking goodra, okay? Give me that and I'll be happy

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    the fact that they included eggs but not existing baby forms for the first 150 is a little goofy

Well nobody fucking likes baby pokemon so really its a bonus feature

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

it's random whether or not you can find the magikarps though

so far i've only found one, if i want a gyarados i'm gonna need 50

similarly if you were pulling from the full list of pokemon it would take more walking around to find specific ones you want becasue the odds of any given pokemon would be lower

i'm fine with them launching with only the original 150 but among other things i want to see them add i want more pokemon to get added a relatively fast pace

you need 101 magikarps.

the first 100 are caught and transferred for the 400 candy, the last is to be actually evolved.

Zenyatoo on
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Elekid is good. And Wynaut.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »

Well nobody fucking likes baby pokemon so really its a bonus feature

175-Togepi.png

Excuse me?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Tomorrow I am going to my local outlet mall. Hopefully its a good area to catch pokes.

Also:

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    the new blink album is actually pretty decent, I like it more than I expected to

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Togepi isn't a Baby Pokemon.

• Options
    I mean, Clinton ran in 92 and 96, Gore ran in 2000, and Tarzan came out 1999, but it was funny in the sense that what's old is new again.

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    I mean, Clinton ran in 92 and 96, Gore ran in 2000, and Tarzan came out 1999, but it was funny in the sense that what's old is new again.

Yeah I was gonna say, the math doesn't check out on some of that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

exactly! exactly this thing! and I acknowledge I will not have filled my pokedex, but I still think this game has legs with just the OG 150, and I would rather they spend time developing out a few more gameplay features for the game first and then worry about developing Gen2 assets and onward

• Options

Now we just need dumb memes.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

Should we @ you if any particularly good Rowlett art surfaces?

........yes.

(But not the evos, obv)

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular

yes it is

it's not a baby form of one of the first 150 but it definitely is

• Options

TOGEPI GETS TO BE WHATEVER TOGEPI WANTS TO BE AND IF THAT'S A BABY POKEMON THEN GOLLY GEE WILLIKER IT'S A BABY POKEMON AND FRANKLY I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF YOUR SASS, BEEB

This discussion has been closed.