As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - Campfire Stories #8

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2016 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - Campfire Stories #8

Campfire Stories #8

Campfire Stories #8

http://campcomic.com/comic/334

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Android 21 3/7Android 21 3/7 Registered User regular
    Ah reminds me of those last evenings at church retreat. Every year, there was always some group of camp counselors (college age) who would sneak into everybody's cabin and draw on everybody's faces. My first year at one of these retreats, my pastor was shocked to see this, but said that, rather than dole out punishment, the entire camp would give them an act of kindness. That act of kindness turned out to be a "shower": getting the culprits all in a dog pile, pour shampoo over them, and then hosing them off. Considering how they did it every year after that regardless, I think it's fair to say it didn't work.

• xUsakoxUsako Registered User regular
    Mad as insane or as upset? :D

• FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    They didn't mean any real harm, right? This was just hazing, not bullying?

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    Haha. I love campfire stories.

When my cabin wanted a scary story, I told them we weren't allowed to tell any because several years ago an ax murderer escaped from the mental institution across the lake and none of the campers believed us when we gave out the warning. Sadly three campers we're killed and the mad man with the ax was never caught.

• PexkoolPexkool Registered User regular
    Why would we be mad? It's your comic and you do as you damn please! lol
    I mean, you've featured several campfire stories before, it's only fair you share your own!
    Great story! I'll be patiently awaiting the return of weedonwantcha.

• TeddTedd Registered User regular
    Mad because Katie broke the news to us that Rick Springfield is the only star in L.A.

• CardboardPizzasCardboardPizzas Registered User regular
    I sent in one of these ages ago, and it never got published.

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    Also, I found the cat.
    At least, I think that's a cat face on Lil Katie's shirt.

• Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    There aren't too many other places I can go to relive both the breathless bright promise and the black bottomless terror that was childhood. Bravo, Katie. Theodore Sturgeon would be proud.

• KatieJRiceKatieJRice Registered User regular

Definitely not bullying in this case. While this incident scared the hell out of me, it didn't stop me from loving camp, and probably helped me to better appreciate a good scary story (and prank).

• jerodastjerodast Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    That's a great story! Creative. Never heard of a BURROWING asylum escapee before :) Love @briguy's meta spin on it too!

jerodast on
  • APMEWAPMEW Registered User regular
    no good camping adventure is complete without these

• SkizzSkizz Registered User regular
    Valuable life lessons AND survival skills? Quite a camp.

• FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    KatieJRice wrote: »

Definitely not bullying in this case. While this incident scared the hell out of me, it didn't stop me from loving camp, and probably helped me to better appreciate a good scary story (and prank).

But they were kidding around, right? They didn't hate you or anything like that? I have a hard time telling the difference between harmless pranks and brutal bullying, since all I ever got was the latter.

• weremooseweremoose Registered User new member
    edited July 2016
    When I was in jr high school, there was a kid, we'll call him David, who was several years younger than my group who would hang around around us and sort of crash our clique.

We didn't mind him doing so too much, but we wished he'd leave us alone most of the time. He had a habit of taking our inside jokes and appropriating them in loud and obnoxious ways. So while we accepted him as best as we could, but being flawed kids ourselves we did kind of mess with him occasionally. "Older brother" stuff, mostly.

Anyway, one spring our school restarted it's annual weekend field trip to a local summer camp. (They had stopped taking us for a few years due to some budgetary issues) David had never been in the woods before and was anxious. He kept asking us about mountain lions and snakes and stuff.

So we concocted a story about why the school stopped taking us to the camp for a while. We told him that there was a kid about his age named Shannon Burks who wandered into the woods one night and was eaten by a bear.

"Now, you know, once a bear tastes human flesh, that's all he wants to eat and he looks for prey about the same size and age as his first."
    "You look a lot like Shannon, David."
    "Huh. Yeah you're right. Better stay by the cabins".

That sort of thing. He didn't believe us at first, but our student body president happened to be walking by at the time so we called out to him
    "Hey Pres. Didn't a 7-vie get eaten by a bear out here a few years ago?"
    To which he answered: "Yeah. They had to shut the place down for a few years."

Glad I voted for that guy :)
    (David turned out ok. We chat on Facebook every now and then)

weremoose on
  • KatieJRiceKatieJRice Registered User regular

But they were kidding around, right? They didn't hate you or anything like that? I have a hard time telling the difference between harmless pranks and brutal bullying, since all I ever got was the latter.

Yeah, it was all okay. I definitely witnessed mean acts that were done with hate during my school days, but camp was one place where I didn't need to worry about bullying. I don't know what my camp's system was, but they must've had a good instinct for grouping dorky kids with other dorky kids. And for whatever reason the cabins never fought amongst one another, though there was some boy trouble one year, ha. I have a soft spot for camps in general. :)

• SargeSarge Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I can only partly relate as
    1) I was never a girl
    2) My camp was co-ed
    3) I did go to summer camp and we did plan an overnight trip out to an island. Mind you now, this was in the days before the internet and mobile phones and laptop computers and all that modern jazz. I'm talking late 1970s here. Weather forecasting was something you got a vague notion of perhaps three times a day if you were listening to a radio station that actually gave weather forecasts. We campers did not have access to radios as the whole idea of going to camp was to get away from such things as radios and TVs. Perhaps there was a secret communications room locked away somewhere in an office on the camp site but if there was it didn't seem to have informed the camp director of the impending storm... but I'm getting ahead of myself. We load up the canoes, put on our life-jackets, grab our paddles and clumsily head out on the lake. We're perhaps 200 meters out when a dark cloud comes rolling in. A dark cloud dropping rain and lighting and thunder and threatening to drown us all with it's mighty fury. In the lead canoe the head of our little expedition, who was thankfully an adult turned around and said "it's too dangerous, we're going back." Of course all the boys (and most of the girls) went like "awwww... do we have to?" or something like that (I can't remember the exact words, give me a break this was 40 years ago) and the councilor was like "yes, we do have to." And so it was that my one little expedition to the little island in the middle of a little lake came to a little end.

I got my revenge on the weather gods though. Sweet frosty revenge. One day, many years later, I and a group of friends drove up to Lac des Îles and we had a whole island all to our selves for four days. See, there's a little known campsite up there complete with cookhouse and and rustic cabins and outhouses and everything. Most people don't know about it so shush! We had four glorious days of.. well... mostly beer now that I think of it but I swear we did some canoeing too. As I recall more I remember that there was beer involved in the canoeing too. This being Canada it did, of course snow despite it only being early September but I was a boy scout, I came prepared. That's right: I brought a winter sleeping bag and a set of long underwear (and also beer) to an island in September. While everyone else shivered in the dark I was toasty warm (and drinking beer). Take that weather gods!!

Sarge on
  • EmptyMatchbookEmptyMatchbook Registered User new member
    This is a PERFECT kid's campfire story. I love it, the wolverine blood injections are 100% something kids would say.

Love the comic, Katie! Keep them feels comin'!

• MekkaBMekkaB Registered User regular
    Now I want a Mad Martha t-shirt.

• Laika ClementineLaika Clementine Registered User regular
    I remember in girl scouts we had this urban legend at a camp that you had to hold your head every time the train went by or you'd lose your head in your sleep. My friend didn't like us doing that because she was superstitious and it gave her the creeps and she yelled at me for singing "Ghost Train" by Gorillaz as a way of teasing her. :P