As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch 6.0]Old Thread, Go to New Thread!

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    8 wins, 1 loss in QM for the night.

The number of groups I've run into that don't swap to deal with Winston is amazing.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I had a frickin' awesome run defending Hollywood tonight as Zarya. When you're in the Zarya Zone you feel unstoppable. Gold elims! Wewt.

1467124214178n7spp.png

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    What is the proper response to a Winston ult anyway?

steam_sig.png
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

A banana so he slips

No I don't.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Tranq dart

Running away/forced movementing Winston.

If you're say, Zenyatta, the only response is dying.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    The number of groups I've run into that don't swap to deal with anybody ever is amazing.

It's the core issue with the game, really. Can't even count the number of games I've swung to a win because I was changing classes to deal with problems and absolutely nobody else would, but it's a helluva a lot. And people would find they would win a lot more if they would stop trying to jam Genjis into points with tight spaces or have their Reapers clobbered by Pharahs, and instead make smarter picks against what is countering them.

Even if you're trying to practice something, it does you fuck-all when the enemy team has you countered so hard you die anytime you get even remotely near the objective. In fact, it's a great example of when it's dumb to stick with one character and it's time to switch to something else, which is still an important part of knowing a character well.

• StasisStasis Registered User regular
    Playing Pharah on King's Row defense. We started the game with a Mercy, later on I'm not seeing any heals for a while, pinged "need healing" a couple times wondering where the heck she is, then some genius types "we don't need pharah. figure it out."

At first I think that's our Mercy refusing to heal me because... they have something against Pharah on King's Row defense? But then I check and, whoever our Mercy was, they switched off and we didn't have a healer anymore. Getting stomped the whole game and we have no healer.

Snoopy switched to Mercy, but it was already too late and we lost before long. Then that guy continues raging at me for playing Pharah because there weren't any turrets.

... Who thinks Pharah is only used against turrets?

And that's why I keep the "Block" button warm.

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    for some stupid reason people put way too much weight no what the "meta" is when it comes to these things

No I don't.
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    And that isn't even the meta. Pharah is pretty dominant right now. I imagine that'll change when the McCree buff from PTR goes live.

Hm. Maybe Winston is more useful than I gave him credit for. It was foolishness to try him out on a KOTH match in which we were lacking Lucio, but I got some pretty nice hits in, and I think I can see how he's meant to play.

That said, does Winston have any real answer to turret nests?

• EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    Just ended an extremely ugly run of QM games getting stomped where the average level difference between the teams was ~100 (assuming a bronze star means 100+).

I know level doesn't equal MMR but based on how thoroughly we were repeatedly rolled I can't imagine that those ranks were remotely even either.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • madspookymadspooky San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Just ended an extremely ugly run of QM games getting stomped where the average level difference between the teams was ~100 (assuming a bronze star means 100+).

I know level doesn't equal MMR but based on how thoroughly we were repeatedly rolled I can't imagine that those ranks were remotely even either.

I'm like level 47 and my rank typically has me playing with a bunch of people 100+ (or close to it). Unfortunately I don't think QM really cares and just sticks people together based on ping/availability and not MMR.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Hm. Maybe Winston is more useful than I gave him credit for. It was foolishness to try him out on a KOTH match in which we were lacking Lucio, but I got some pretty nice hits in, and I think I can see how he's meant to play.

torb turrets don't do much damage so dropping a shield in the right spot will help you take it out

Bastion will murder the fuck out of you every time tho

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    madspooky wrote: »
    EvilMonkey wrote: »

I'm like level 47 and my rank typically has me playing with a bunch of people 100+ (or close to it). Unfortunately I don't think QM really cares and just sticks people together based on ping/availability and not MMR.

There is definitely a hidden MMR for quick match. I don't know if it's the same now, but before the ranked patch, just about everyone was at 50% win rate (or 1%-2% away from it). It's probably a combination of great matchmaking and a huge playerbase.

Haha, had a very satisfying end of game as Mei on Hanamura defense. Managed to, in the final seconds of Overtime, drop an ice wall blocking a Roadhog who was about to stomp onto the point and start contesting it again. Which earned us our victory.

The win was a team effort, but it feels so gratifying to get the last play in a match.

Mei is so much fun when I get her playstyle right.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

torb turrets don't do much damage so dropping a shield in the right spot will help you take it out

Bastion will murder the fuck out of you every time tho

Unless you have your ult. If you hop around and even over Bastion, you should be able to kill him before he kills you. Well, assuming he doesn't have any allies nearby. It's not really the best use of your ult, but it can work.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

I have had Roadhog use his Ult to pin me in the corner for an entire Winston Ult so many times.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    In one games, as Mercy, I killed a Reaper who was ult'ing, killed a Junkrat tire, and shot a Pharah out of the sky who was also in the middle of her alt.
    Playing with my brother, me as Mercy, him as Reinhardt, defending Numbani.

Him: "Reaper's above us, watch for ult."

Full team fight occurs, Reaper doesn't show. Our team wipes the enemy, seconds left on the clock.

Me: "He still up there?"

Him: "Yup, he's probably saving his ult for the perfect time for a Play of the Game. I'm gonna wait on him to drop down and charge him."

Me: "K."

We literally stand there for the last five seconds staring at the back left upper catwalk as Reaper, right on cue, drops down, hits his Q, and promptly gets smashed into the wall by a Rein charge.

Can you imagine that kill cam?

It is very satisfying taking someone out in the middle of their ult as Reinhardt; I love seeing a Reaper float in to the middle of a group, timing things just right, and getting him just as he phases back in and says "Di----" knowing I've just saved a whole bunch of people,, all while in the warm embrace who must currently be hating me through the interwebs.

Last night, I'm sure I managed to annoy a Junkrat who was just far too greedy for his own good; I managed to swat his Riptire with a normal Reinhardt attack (this is the 2nd time I've done it).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I usually shout "Angry monkey! Angry monkey! ANGRY MONKEY!" in panic.
    It does the trick pretty well :lol:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I think the matchmaking in Quick Match can be really atrocious sometimes. I'm talking, like, level 1-9s matched alongside and against level 100+s.

Like, say what you will or "it's fucking Quick Match, who cares" as most people fall back on but there is zero justification for that sort of matching at that level regardless of how little experience doesn't matter. Just bonkers.

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I think the matchmaking in Quick Match can be really atrocious sometimes. I'm talking, like, level 1-9s matched alongside and against level 100+s.

Like, say what you will or "it's fucking Quick Match, who cares" as most people fall back on but there is zero justification for that sort of matching at that level regardless of how little experience doesn't matter. Just bonkers.

If a regular Counterstrike player comes in I can see them gaining MMR extremely rapidly.

You could watch streams of Starcraft pros with new accounts getting into masters league (top ~3%?) in 13 matches.

When you begin your MMR is very volatile and jumps around a lot.

On the other hand there's shitty players (like myself) who are barely going to improve no matter how much they play.

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Ok so the game definitely needs a forfeit mechanic for when multiple people leave in competitive. Waiting the match timer as the player count drops to 6v1 is just kind of silly.

• KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    You can leave without penalty.

You'll still take a loss, but it won't hit your leaver status.

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I know. But for the winning team it becomes a pain because after a certain point you're just waiting out a timer to get your points.

Road Block on
  • ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    Played offensive Torbjorn on Hanamura, managed to get a level 2 turret on the balcony overlooking point B and Ulted for the capture, it was a thing of beauty. I'm starting to really like Torbjorn, which is strange for me.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Reynolds wrote: »

I have had Roadhog use his Ult to pin me in the corner for an entire Winston Ult so many times.

I like playing the Ol' Streepig and if I see the enemy team has a Winston I usually save my Ult for exactly this.

Edit- @Stasis Man, dumb teammates be dumb. Apart from the meta being fairly Pharah-centric, friggin King's Row was made for her. Tight corridors with high walls and no ceiling? Rockets for days man! A decent Pharah can damn near stall the enemy team's advance by herself on that map.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Anyone have tips on using rip tire effectively? I feel like it should be pretty straight forward, but my tire gets shot up 75% of the time. I'm not sure if I'm waiting too long - no idea what kind of range it has - or I'm not being squirrelly enough when I drive it.

Also for the record, this game is probably the most fun I've ever had with a competitive shooter, and it's certainly the only one in recent memory that I didn't become bored with two weeks or so into it. I haven't touched the ranked mode, and have been pretty damn luck with quickplay pick up groups. Normally the worst stuff I see is people whining about plays of the game.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Anyone have tips on using rip tire effectively? I feel like it should be pretty straight forward, but my tire gets shot up 75% of the time. I'm not sure if I'm waiting too long - no idea what kind of range it has - or I'm not being squirrelly enough when I drive it.

Also for the record, this game is probably the most fun I've ever had with a competitive shooter, and it's certainly the only one in recent memory that I didn't become bored with two weeks or so into it. I haven't touched the ranked mode, and have been pretty damn luck with quickplay pick up groups. Normally the worst stuff I see is people whining about plays of the game.

A common mistake I see, is people getting greedy, thinking that the tire would live long enough to catch more people in the explosion, and instead it gets killed. Avoid anywhere that has turrets as well, because they will kill it really quickly.

PSN Fleety2009
  • FerrousFerrous Registered User regular

One thing is to use the tire wall climb and try to come from unexpected angles. You can usually get it to come in behind the team or drop from above it won't get killed off. Also like Redcoat said don't be greedy, better to get one kill then have the tire get killed off and get no value from it.

• EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

I'll second @Redcoat-13 for whatever little that's worth based on my time-played :P

Something that I had missed was that the tire can climb walls like Hanzo, which can help with flank attempts.

Edit: Beat'd

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Pretend that your tire is reaper and drop on top of people.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Thanks all! I had no idea the wheel could wall climb. That changes thing a lot!

• BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular

You're going to have a lot of fun on junkrat now

PSN: thewheelz
    Bubs wrote: »

You're going to have a lot of fun on junkrat now

Yeah I've been playing him a bunch recently. He's a ton of fun already; the mine has way more range on it than I initially thought, and the trap is insanely useful. Saturating a point with bocce ball grenades is always good times too. Just need to get the hang of using the tire effectively.

Got the lone wolf skin on Hanzo yesterday as well, so been playing him a bit more. The scatter arrow is rad! So much fun to shoot one just past enemy cover and seeing kills rack up. The sonar arrow is also pretty useful. Again, need to get the hang of his ult. Like most of them, it seems crazy powerful when the other team uses it...

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

#Dunkrat

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The biggest plays I've been getting with Junkrat recently are to go for the riptire in the middle of a pitched fight. I mean literally in the middle of them. Run in there lobbing grenades, toss a mine, toss a trap, and then Riptire. Generally kills you, but that's okay when you get a quad kill off of it and push the enemy team off the payload in overtime.

People are so used to getting a chance to look for the Riptire and shoot it down that they don't expect it to right in the middle of them already. It's not like Pharah, where people focus her right away; you get a couple moments for the ult to go off, and Junkrat only needs to live long enough for the tire to spawn. If at least a couple people don't focus the tire instead of Junkrat, it has plenty of health to survive that half-second before you explode it.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    It's sort of a basic tip, but you can get a lot more out of the tire if you wait until a fight is just breaking out when you use it. I notice a lot of people use the tire between fights as the enemies are rushing back from spawn. This just makes it easy for the enemy team to focus it down. If you wait until your team starts to fight, even if they get your tire, you at least forced them to turn away from your team for a little bit.

Ratsult2 wrote: »
    It's sort of a basic tip, but you can get a lot more out of the tire if you wait until a fight is just breaking out when you use it. I notice a lot of people use the tire between fights as the enemies are rushing back from spawn. This just makes it easy for the enemy team to focus it down. If you wait until your team starts to fight, even if they get your tire, you at least forced them to turn away from your team for a little bit.

Yeah I fucked up this way twice on Ilios yesterday. Prompted me to rethink my tire strategies. Was trying to catch them coming back on the point but I wasn't nearly sneaky enough.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

#Dunkrat

#Junkrekt

488W936.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I wish there was a mode where I could practice tracer bombs

that thing is so damn wonky.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.