As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PokemonGO] used Draining Kiss on BATTERY! It's super effective!

• ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    I've been waiting for this thread. Bookmarked.

Someone needs to add how you can get pokecoins by beating a gym and slotting a pokemon in. I wish I had known you didn't need to wait 21 hours for the bonus but could get it immediately.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Am I the only one that stopped using the AR camera view? It's easier to catch them when its off for me.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Am I the only one that stopped using the AR camera view? It's easier to catch them when its off for me.

I have absolutely stopped, and I agree that it feels easier. Easier on the battery too, I suspect.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    AR camera for pictures only, It's so much easier to catch without it.

• CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular

Someone needs to add how you can get pokecoins by beating a gym and slotting a pokemon in. I wish I had known you didn't need to wait 21 hours for the bonus but could get it immediately.

Oh yeah, feels like holding a gym for more than 12 hours is reaaaally difficult if it's in a populated area. Best to do some rounds, get some gyms in your mitts and cash in then.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I love the AR but it seems a lot easier to not have it on. The pokemon doesn't "move" or anything, it's always dead center.

• Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

I have absolutely stopped, and I agree that it feels easier. Easier on the battery too, I suspect.

I haven't noticed any battery saving with it. I mainly turn it off when playing the game in the passenger seat of a car. It sucks finding the creature again when the driver makes a turn.

Other battery saving gibberish:

If I use the battery saver screen and tip my phone upside down it goes off, but when I flip it back the screen comes on and I can't use pokestops or catch anything. So that is a no go. The only other battery saver option is to use Google Maps and download the fixed map of your area. This has saved me quite a bit on data usage, but no battery savings :bigfrown: I basically carry a spare phone battery with me all the time and have another one charging.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Kylindra wrote: »
    Thanks for making a new OP, @akjak!
    akjak wrote: »
    At 7 or 8 you'll get a Lucky Egg too, and evolving is big xp!

According to this guide, it's Level 9:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-go/Level_Rewards_and_Unlockable_Items

Unless it's inconsistent?

I have two at level 10, so I'm not sure when I got them.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera

That's in that reddit FAQ I linked above, I think.

I'll add stuff to OP a bit later too.

Dirk2112 wrote: »
    The only other battery saver option is to use Google Maps and download the fixed map of your area. This has saved me quite a bit on data usage, but no battery savings :bigfrown:

..which doesn't work on iOS thanks to the sandboxed nature of apps.

• biscuitbutt81biscuitbutt81 Registered User regular
    Abbalah wrote: »
    Oh they generated the Stops based on an older game? THAT explains some things. Like theres a stop near my house thats a "Cherub riding a Hog Statue", and when I checked to out the statue is nowhere to be found. But that are recently underwent a major constuction project over the last year erecting this big new building and I guess the statue no longer exists.. but did when Ingress was a thing.

That explains that. Thanks for all the helpful tips in here, by the way. Explained some things I didnt get (like how the shrinking colored circles interact with ball tossing).

To the best of my knowledge there's no evidence that the size of the circle interacts with capture chance - circle size dictates bonus exp for nice/great/excellent throw, and color indicates the odds the pokemon will break out of a ball, but anything else is speculation. Might be true, might be the modern equivalent of 'holding down+A keeps them in the ball'

There's a preposterous amount of speculative misinformation/rumor floating around for this game

Lol, the game makers themselves have said that the circle size impacts your capture rate.

Here:

https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/221957648-Finding-and-Catching-wild-Pokémon

To catch a Pokémon:

When a wild Pokémon is nearby, your device will vibrate, and the Pokémon will appear on the map. Touch the Pokémon to begin your attempt to catch it.
    The Pokémon will appear in front of you.
    Note: You may need to orient your device or switch out of camera mode.
    Touch and hold your Poké Ball.
    A target ring will appear around the Pokémon. The ring’s color indicates the difficulty level of capturing the Pokémon. A green ring indicates the capture is low difficulty, orange indicates intermediate difficulty, and red indicates extreme difficulty.
    You have the greatest chance of capturing the Pokémon while the colored ring is at its smallest diameter. At the opportune moment, fling the Poké Ball toward the Pokémon.
    If you are successful, the Poké Ball will capture the Pokémon. Watch out, though—Pokémon can escape from the Poké Ball.

Tip: Drag and rapidly spin the Poké Ball in a circular motion before you release it for a chance to receive a curveball bonus.

That's in that reddit FAQ I linked above, I think.

I'll add stuff to OP a bit later too.
    I meant to the OP, because regardless of whether or not it was in the Reddit link, it's super important.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

It's easier and easier on my battery too. I just wish it didn't default back to AR when the server has problems and logs me off, erasing ALL of my settings every time. (seriously, fix this crap... I can't believe battery saver isn't a default setting...)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    From reddit, apparently you can force Eevee into the evo of your choice:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4t0cpo/psa_how_to_force_your_eevee_to_evolve_into_your/

tl;dr nickname it Sparky (for Jolteon), Rainer (for Vaporeon) or Pyro (for Flareon).

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I've found that putting my iPhone on Low Power Mode (In Settings-->Battery) and dimming the screen helps conserve battery power a LOT. Turning AR off does, too. You can always turn it back on if you want to get a cool picture.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Wait so downloading the map on Google actually does improve loading but only on Android? I am confused

Also just caught a high CP Bulbasaur, gonna have to farm eggs to get more candies for this guy. Keep seeing Squirtes and even one Wartortle on the map but haven't actually encountered one yet.

Also god dammit I have lost over 10 really good, rare Pokemon because of the Pokeball Freeze glitch... so frustrating.

edited July 2016
    From reddit, apparently you can force Eevee into the evo of your choice:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4t0cpo/psa_how_to_force_your_eevee_to_evolve_into_your/

tl;dr nickname it Sparky (for Jolteon), Rainer (for Vaporeon) or Pyro (for Flareon).

This is awesome, just wish I had done this before I wasted so many candies...

Local H Jay on
    edited July 2016
    @akjak That Reddit guide in the OP seems outdated.

ElementWrath on
    Wait so downloading the map on Google actually does improve loading but only on Android? I am confused

On iOS, apps don't have access to the data of other apps. So it doesn't matter what you do with your google maps app on iOS, PokemonGO can't ever access it. Also, there is no "offline map" option in google maps on iOS that I've found anyway.

On android, being a google product, I suspect you can load map data locally, and since PoGo uses google map data it would have access to the phone's Google Map app and that offline data.

Cool, gonna have to try that out and see if it makes a difference

Yeah, I was trying to get a thread up quick. I'll make it all better tonight after kiddo's in bed.

There's a gym on my street with a cp700 Aerodactyl. I am going there to ruin his day just to spite him and his awesome Pokemon. Seriously, I want that guy so bad.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

I stumbled on this one the other day:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4sd611/a_guide_to_pokemon_go_leveling_your_trainer/?st=iql5kvwb&sh=1b8db989

It had some useful tips I didn't know in it... Probably not the best guide but it helped me :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    The raspberries ensure that they don't run away after the failed attempt.

I swear Charmander has taken my berries and ran before. Maybe it was on the ball after the ball after the raspberries.

The berry only lasts one capture attempt. If they break out, the effect is lost and you would need another.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    Took my first gym with Ex-Lax!
    l9uyxba4gjg3.png

Also hatched my first 10k egg and got Aerodactyl!!!

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The important question from that picture, did you get the Growlithe?

MhCw7nZ.gif

Two days. Two days I chased this motherfucker. He is in my neighbourhood but isn't ever closer to me than the three feet. I walked about 1km in every direction of that Pokestop. It wouldn't get closer than 3 spots from the top. Mind that, this is in 98° weather in Austin, Texas... and you start to feel like it's either get the Pokémon or die of heat exposure.

A bit salty, but I haven't given up yet.

Took another Gym, immediately got taken back. People are very territorial, it seems.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    @Local H Jay try the Ingress app. The visible energy fields in Ingress correlate to Pokemon spawn areas. It can help you find large concentrations nearby to head towards.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Two days. Two days I chased this motherfucker. He is in my neighbourhood but isn't ever closer to me than the three feet. I walked about 1km in every direction of that Pokestop. It wouldn't get closer than 3 spots from the top. Mind that, this is in 98° weather in Austin, Texas... and you start to feel like it's either get the Pokémon or die of heat exposure.

Took another Gym, immediately got taken back. People are very territorial, it seems.

I shouldn't mention that I've got 4, then. 3 of which spawned at my desk at work?

edited July 2016
    dporowski wrote: »

I shouldn't mention that I've got 4, then. 3 of which spawned at my desk at work?

My region seems to be covered in them as well. Pinsir too, mostly around sunset. All the gyms near me are Pinsirs and Arcanines. (All 1000+ CP too, goddamit)

Water-types on the other hand, are real damn scarce.

MuddBudd on
    MuddBudd wrote: »

My region seems to be covered in them as well. Pinsir too, mostly around sunset. All the gyms near me are Pinsirs and Arcanines. (All 1000+ CP too, goddamit)

I've never even seen those. Drowning in Pidgeys though. Drowning.

Yeah I think Pidgeys are everywhere. Along with the Rattata and Paras.

Yeah I think Pidgeys are everywhere. Along with the Rattata and Paras.

It's short on Rattata here oddly. Bats everywhere, Pidgeys/Spearows in quantities you can make a pillow out of, but maybe I see 1-2 rats a day, tops. Bats probably ate 'em.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    All water, grass, bug, and normal around here. No rock, fire, ground, or electric to be found. Well, except Evees. Evees everywhere.

But with so many water types, fire and rock would be kind of useless anyway. But I still want an Onyx. :(

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    InkSplat wrote: »
    All water, grass, bug, and normal around here. No rock, fire, ground, or electric to be found. Well, except Evees. Evees everywhere.

But with so many water types, fire and rock would be kind of useless anyway. But I still want an Onyx. :(

I see Eevees here and there. Mostly in the middle of an intersection, trying to get everyone killed. Rare though, by comparison.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I just started. Got an Eevee in my house! Couldn't get the cat to sit still with an Eevee on his head, though. :(

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Up to my pokeballs in Pidgeys, Rattatas, Drowseys. I see a fair number of Jynxes and now that I'm level 8 I see this big creepy spiked ball silhouette with two floating claws, but never can seem to find it.

Also, your govt at work for you! I guess no criminal anywhere ever thought to hunt people at the park or a bank before the advent of Pokémon Go. Al Franken was after Niantic, but for a more realistic reason of "What data are you collecting from people, and what are you doing with it?".

Nosf on
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Is there a way to tell if your pokemon hatched from an egg? I had 4 hatching at once; I definitely got the exp from them hatching, but my phone was in my pocket and I didn't see any of them hatch. Looking through my pokemon it kind of appears I didn't actually get any pokemon from them, but it would be nice to be able verify. Sadly I didn't think to check my journal at the time, and my activity doesn't go back that far.

Fiatil on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I popped a lucky egg and evolved all of my "extra" candies. 42 total evolutions accomplished. Three were "new" to me. +50000 XP in 22 minutes. Went from level 18 to level 20 in one swell foop. And the "bonus items" that you get from leveling? Yeah, my backpack is 465/350.

26904.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Is there a way to tell if your pokemon hatched from an egg? I had 4 hatching at once; I definitely got the exp from them hatching, but my phone was in my pocket and I didn't see any of them hatch. Looking through my pokemon it kind of appears I didn't actually get any pokemon from them, but it would be nice to be able verify. Sadly I didn't think to check my journal at the time, and my activity doesn't go back that far.

I sort the pokemon by most recent. The ones at the top are the most recent, getting older the farther down you go. So if you hatched 4, then the 4 at the top will be them.

JtgVX0H.png
This discussion has been closed.