As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

visual [chat]

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Just ate a slice of ham wrapped in American cheese.

Living the dream.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    160715105243-michael-wolf-hong-kong-super-43.jpg

Hong Kong tenement, 2014

*screams internally*

oh....I suppose tenement indicates these places are crappy inside, but without that context it's a really cool photo portraying kinda awesome human density.

If the photo was just labeled Hong Kong apartments, would that be as bad (ie is it the concept of the squalor or the concept of the density that is upsetting? Cause the former, sure, but the latter, no way, that's awesome.)

As a socially anxious poor,

Squalor bothers me much less than density. :P

I never said it was rational.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Casual wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I love how much you hate Pokemon and yet continue to play it, DK. I know that you must do it with such a self aware self loathing that it must feed some dark humiliation fetish.

I don't play it though! I open it from time to time to look at how much of a trainwreck it continues to be, but I am totally off it. My man however, continues to be obsessed with it, much to my confusion.

yeah i don't get it it seems kinda crap to me but

i only tried it the day it launched so it was constantly shitting the bed

plus i live in the middle of nowhere wheres there's literally nothing

Even in a populated urban area with tons of stops, the gameplay loop is basically:

Walk to pokestop. Spin. Get all the items.
    Pokemon spawns in near you. Tap on it.
    There isn't a battle, throw balls directly at it.
    After about 3 balls, you've caught it
    Feed it to your existing Pokemon to level them up excruciatingly slowly, like all those shitty free to play card games
    Repeat

Eventually you can try to battle/train at a gym, but there is no purpose whatsoever to doing this. Your Pokemon don't get stronger and you don't really win anything. The gym battle isn't even fun while you're doing it.
    yep just tried to log in now and servers are down

pokemon go must just be better than this in the states

it's really not! the servers are perpetually broken and the game crashes a lot

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    DVtWEPT.jpg
    Headquarters of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Giod old brutalism. Not sure why it was popular.

Couscous on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    those apartments look nice

• Options
    Hmm unless I can find a dollar in this room, I will also be walking BACK to Nargirl's.

... That would be much less fun the second time.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    this rogue one behind the scenes shit is dope a f
    https://youtu.be/HUb_zpdyDpU

Hmm

Hype levels stirring

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    DVtWEPT.jpg

Intimidation, possibly.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The off-duty police officer who allegedly drunkenly drove his SUV onto a Brooklyn sidewalk, killing one man and injuring three others,apparently moved from the drivers seat to the passenger side of his car. A witness explained that he tried to drive off, but when he realized he couldn't, "he switched sides, from the driver’s seat to the passenger side... Everyone saw him do it."

• Options
    DVtWEPT.jpg

It effectively reminds people of their lowly stations in life

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    10,700 step walk in prospect park

Today is going to be a good day

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Let's all skate and then fall apart

@desc check out this sikk dekk

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Mystery_Cosmic_V2_Deck/descpage-MYCO281DK.html

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I love how much you hate Pokemon and yet continue to play it, DK. I know that you must do it with such a self aware self loathing that it must feed some dark humiliation fetish.

I don't play it though! I open it from time to time to look at how much of a trainwreck it continues to be, but I am totally off it. My man however, continues to be obsessed with it, much to my confusion.

Even in a populated urban area with tons of stops, the gameplay loop is basically:

Feed it to your existing Pokemon to level them up excruciatingly slowly, like all those shitty free to play card games
    Repeat

Eventually you can try to battle/train at a gym, but there is no purpose whatsoever to doing this. Your Pokemon don't get stronger and you don't really win anything. The gym battle isn't even fun while you're doing it.

Man, this has not been my experience at all.

My gameplay loop has been walking around exploring the city, periodically spotting rare pokemon on my radar and hunting them down/asking other nearby players if they've seen those pokemon, trading info about the location of nearby rares. Also, running into some rare high level catches, strategically leveling pokemon based on movesets/selecting which ones to feed candies, then forming coalitions with friends on the same team to go take and secure gyms nearby. Also, learning good lure locations where they can overlap and regularly visiting those spots, either to check if someone has set a lure there or to set lures myself in hopes that other people will join and keep adding lures.

I already have a number of "rivals" in my area who regularly steal gyms from me who I know by username (a couple I even can put a face to a username already), who drive me to go out and try to catch more in order to keep pace with their high-level pokemon.

• Options
    Of course the wife actually went out and ran 6 miles.

I am not lazy. I'm just more recreational?

• Options
    Also, DK, once a day you can hit a button that will give you a reward based on how many gyms you're currently holding.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    10,700 step walk in prospect park

Today is going to be a good day

Hey man all I've done is use the toilet a few times

I expected to be halfway done with my gym workout by now but I am still not outside my apartment

Why is my gym in Manhattan tho

Bah, passage of time

poo
  • Options
    Also also, I've found the gym battling to be really fun, particularly when you're actually setting up a team to exploit type weaknesses on a high level gym.

One of the best pokemon I have is a high level Parasect because the meta in my area very heavily favors Hypnos and Vaporeons (since Drowsies and Evees are easy to come by).

• Options
    And the basic gameplay of catching pokemon becomes more challenging the higher level you are.

At the point that I am, I actually have to be pretty strategic about using razz berries/great balls, timing my throws well, and throwing curve-balls.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Also also, I've found the gym battling to be really fun, particularly when you're actually setting up a team to exploit type weaknesses on a high level gym.

One of the best pokemon I have is a high level Parasect because the meta in my area very heavily favors Hypnos and Vaporeons (since Drowsies and Evees are easy to come by).

Winky, don't walk off any cliffs playing that game. Mmmkay.

• Options

Friend

This is an excellent question. You've literally chosen a gym in another county.

• Options
    Ooh, because I wasn't home to take my meds last night, I get to have a double-dose of clonazepam this morning!

A) today is gonna be great

B) no, YOU have a problem

C) this is a good and smart idea

D) I should carry my meds with me going forward

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Well its been a while since a random person called me faggot. Guess it was bound to happen again eventually.

• Options

Friend

Well it used to be near my office

Which was convenient en route to work

There isn't a good one near my apartment right now anyway

poo
  • Options
    The servers are terrible though and the game is incredibly buggy.

Still having a fantastic time playing this game.

• Options
    Neco wrote: »
    Well its been a while since a random person called me faggot. Guess it was bound to happen again eventually.

*hug* I am sorry, some people are jerks.

Might I interest you in some clonazepam?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    DVtWEPT.jpg

It effectively reminds people of their lowly stations in life

Probably because it was cheap, more than anything. Probably saved them 20% of their building costs by looking so spartan and bare.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i didn't even fall down and i hurt myself gooey

mregh

i should stick to snowboarding

T_T

919UOwT.png
  • Options

Friend

How far are you from the library/grand army? Eastern athletic is right there

• Options

Friend

How far are you from the library/grand army? Eastern athletic is right there

Close. Suppose depends on the price. And how uncrowded the weight room is. Those are good things about my gym

poo
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

*hug* I am sorry, some people are jerks.

Might I interest you in some clonazepam?

Mmm yummy clonopin. .

Im ok though. My weekend just started so assholes will have to try a bit harder to ruin my day.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Pokemon Go would be a great general framework for a Shin Megami Tensei game.

I'd love to go around thrashing demons in AR.

It would be especially perfect because the Devil Survivor games have you using a phone to summon and capture demons.

A Demon Summoning App app would be amazing.

I have to say, I don't much care about Pokemon even though I admit the app is pretty phenomenal in many ways.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Repeat

huh

i guess i just don't get it

people must just be losing their shit at the first moderately viable, wide spread AR game

ten years from now when we're actually good at this people will look at pokemon go like pong

Casual on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Also, I just paid a $199 deductible for a new phone. Woe is me. :(

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    Let's all skate and then fall apart

@desc check out this sikk dekk

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Mystery_Cosmic_V2_Deck/descpage-MYCO281DK.html

Sk8 or die

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Repeat

Man, this has not been my experience at all.

My gameplay loop has been walking around exploring the city, periodically spotting rare pokemon on my radar and hunting them down/asking other nearby players if they've seen those pokemon, trading info about the location of nearby rares. Also, running into some rare high level catches, strategically leveling pokemon based on movesets/selecting which ones to feed candies, then forming coalitions with friends on the same team to go take and secure gyms nearby. Also, learning good lure locations where they can overlap and regularly visiting those spots, either to check if someone has set a lure there or to set lures myself in hopes that other people will join and keep adding lures.

I already have a number of "rivals" in my area who regularly steal gyms from me who I know by username (a couple I even can put a face to a username already), who drive me to go out and try to catch more in order to keep pace with their high-level pokemon.

When a rare pokemon spawns, you have only a short window to catch it, correct? Like, it spawns, someone catches it, and from that moment you only have about 30 seconds to start a battle with it and catch it too before it vanishes from the map?

Boston has like, way too many Pokemon Go players, so you essentially never find anything good ever. I wouldn't know anything about the owning a gym because all the gyms have installed 1700+ CP pokemon which are way out of my reach even playing the type game. I'd have to walk around forever with the game open to hatch eggs to get anything good, which would be fine if the game didn't drain 30-40% of your battery per hour and require constant attention to restart and reconnect. I just think my experience with it was so unbelievably lousy that I couldn't justify spending another minute with it. It's interesting that your experience is so different.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

Repeat

huh

i guess i just don't get it

people must just be losing their shit at the first moderately viable, wide spread AV game

ten years from now when we're actually good at this people will look at pokemon go like pong

I have no doubt about that. This is just scratching the surface of what AR could eventually do.

• Options

>: (

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Fighting games in an Arena and on ESPN2, big time folks

Cnkyl4JUMAAPsWS.jpg

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    And the basic gameplay of catching pokemon becomes more challenging the higher level you are.

At the point that I am, I actually have to be pretty strategic about using razz berries/great balls, timing my throws well, and throwing curve-balls.

(the meta actually favors those pokemon because hypno and vaporeon are ridiculously OP)

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    oh they brought back the polearm weapon
    \o/
    dang he stuck it in someone and then pulled out the sword wtf no swords

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
This discussion has been closed.