As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

visual [chat]

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I love how much you hate Pokemon and yet continue to play it, DK. I know that you must do it with such a self aware self loathing that it must feed some dark humiliation fetish.

I don't play it though! I open it from time to time to look at how much of a trainwreck it continues to be, but I am totally off it. My man however, continues to be obsessed with it, much to my confusion.

yeah i don't get it it seems kinda crap to me but

i only tried it the day it launched so it was constantly shitting the bed

plus i live in the middle of nowhere wheres there's literally nothing

Even in a populated urban area with tons of stops, the gameplay loop is basically:

Walk to pokestop. Spin. Get all the items.
    Pokemon spawns in near you. Tap on it.
    There isn't a battle, throw balls directly at it.
    After about 3 balls, you've caught it
    Feed it to your existing Pokemon to level them up excruciatingly slowly, like all those shitty free to play card games
    Repeat

Eventually you can try to battle/train at a gym, but there is no purpose whatsoever to doing this. Your Pokemon don't get stronger and you don't really win anything. The gym battle isn't even fun while you're doing it.

Man, this has not been my experience at all.

My gameplay loop has been walking around exploring the city, periodically spotting rare pokemon on my radar and hunting them down/asking other nearby players if they've seen those pokemon, trading info about the location of nearby rares. Also, running into some rare high level catches, strategically leveling pokemon based on movesets/selecting which ones to feed candies, then forming coalitions with friends on the same team to go take and secure gyms nearby. Also, learning good lure locations where they can overlap and regularly visiting those spots, either to check if someone has set a lure there or to set lures myself in hopes that other people will join and keep adding lures.

I already have a number of "rivals" in my area who regularly steal gyms from me who I know by username (a couple I even can put a face to a username already), who drive me to go out and try to catch more in order to keep pace with their high-level pokemon.

When a rare pokemon spawns, you have only a short window to catch it, correct? Like, it spawns, someone catches it, and from that moment you only have about 30 seconds to start a battle with it and catch it too before it vanishes from the map?

Boston has like, way too many Pokemon Go players, so you essentially never find anything good ever. I wouldn't know anything about the owning a gym because all the gyms have installed 1700+ CP pokemon which are way out of my reach even playing the type game. I'd have to walk around forever with the game open to hatch eggs to get anything good, which would be fine if the game didn't drain 30-40% of your battery per hour and require constant attention to restart and reconnect. I just think my experience with it was so unbelievably lousy that I couldn't justify spending another minute with it. It's interesting that your experience is so different.

No, if a pokemon spawns somewhere the window for finding it is very generous. I think it's well over ten minutes, unless there's a lure in place at a stop because I'm pretty sure lures replace the old pokemon when they spawn a new one every five minutes.

The app is more stable now, so it's a lot more fun in that respect. I also had a lot of fun (besides the heat) wandering around downtown on a dedicated journey, since (for me) it was a way to catch like twenty pokemon I hadn't seen before in my suburb.

I ate an engineer
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Let's all skate and then fall apart

@desc check out this sikk dekk

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Mystery_Cosmic_V2_Deck/descpage-MYCO281DK.html

Sk8 or die

Skate or Die was a great Commodore 64 game.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I love how much you hate Pokemon and yet continue to play it, DK. I know that you must do it with such a self aware self loathing that it must feed some dark humiliation fetish.

I don't play it though! I open it from time to time to look at how much of a trainwreck it continues to be, but I am totally off it. My man however, continues to be obsessed with it, much to my confusion.

Even in a populated urban area with tons of stops, the gameplay loop is basically:

Feed it to your existing Pokemon to level them up excruciatingly slowly, like all those shitty free to play card games
    Repeat

Eventually you can try to battle/train at a gym, but there is no purpose whatsoever to doing this. Your Pokemon don't get stronger and you don't really win anything. The gym battle isn't even fun while you're doing it.

My gameplay loop has been walking around exploring the city, periodically spotting rare pokemon on my radar and hunting them down/asking other nearby players if they've seen those pokemon, trading info about the location of nearby rares. Also, running into some rare high level catches, strategically leveling pokemon based on movesets/selecting which ones to feed candies, then forming coalitions with friends on the same team to go take and secure gyms nearby. Also, learning good lure locations where they can overlap and regularly visiting those spots, either to check if someone has set a lure there or to set lures myself in hopes that other people will join and keep adding lures.

I already have a number of "rivals" in my area who regularly steal gyms from me who I know by username (a couple I even can put a face to a username already), who drive me to go out and try to catch more in order to keep pace with their high-level pokemon.

When a rare pokemon spawns, you have only a short window to catch it, correct? Like, it spawns, someone catches it, and from that moment you only have about 30 seconds to start a battle with it and catch it too before it vanishes from the map?

Boston has like, way too many Pokemon Go players, so you essentially never find anything good ever. I wouldn't know anything about the owning a gym because all the gyms have installed 1700+ CP pokemon which are way out of my reach even playing the type game. I'd have to walk around forever with the game open to hatch eggs to get anything good, which would be fine if the game didn't drain 30-40% of your battery per hour and require constant attention to restart and reconnect. I just think my experience with it was so unbelievably lousy that I couldn't justify spending another minute with it. It's interesting that your experience is so different.

No, it's the other way around: Pokemon who spawn stay there for about 10-30 minutes regardless of how many people catch it. Also, it's not confirmed, but there's speculation that more Pokemon tend to spawn in areas where there's more mobile data usage.

Also, while I agree it's tough to deal with gyms that have 1700+ CP pokemon sitting on them, if the gym is held by an opposing team you (1) get to use a team of six pokemon to fight no matter what level the gym is and (2) you get to fight at the same time with other people on your team, meaning even if you're way out-leveled by a pokemon sitting on a gym you can work together with others to take it down.

Winky on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I need to gym again

ugh

Repeat

No, it's the other way around: Pokemon who spawn stay there for about 10-30 minutes regardless of how many people catch it. Also, it's not confirmed, but there's speculation that more Pokemon tend to spawn in areas where there's more mobile data usage.

Also, while I agree it's tough to deal with gyms that have 1700+ CP pokemon sitting on them, if the gym is held by an opposing team you (1) get to use a team of six pokemon to fight no matter what level the gym is and (2) you get to fight at the same time with other people on your team, meaning even if you're way out-leveled by a pokemon sitting on a gym you can work together with others to take it down.

It's pretty much definitively confirmed; you can find pokemon spawn locations exactly by finding XM spawn locations for Ingress.

I ate an engineer
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

Repeat

yep just tried to log in now and servers are down

pokemon go must just be better than this in the states

it's really not! the servers are perpetually broken and the game crashes a lot

huh

i guess i just don't get it

people must just be losing their shit at the first moderately viable, wide spread AR game

ten years from now when we're actually good at this people will look at pokemon go like pong

I have no doubt about that. This is just scratching the surface of what AR could eventually do.

can't wait for the AR version of your game

that's gonna be interesting

Repeat

huh

people must just be losing their shit at the first moderately viable, wide spread AR game

ten years from now when we're actually good at this people will look at pokemon go like pong

I have no doubt about that. This is just scratching the surface of what AR could eventually do.

Uhh...

I ate an engineer
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Right now the pokemon radar is like totally broken, though, which is putting a massive damper on the entire game for me. It keeps showing nearby pokemon as three "steps" away, and pokemon that aren't in range anymore keep staying on the radar.

Hopefully they get this fixed soon.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    tumblr_o9zy7uWTSC1skelofo10_500.jpg

Right now the pokemon radar is like totally broken, though, which is putting a massive damper on the entire game for me. It keeps showing nearby pokemon as three "steps" away, and pokemon that aren't in range anymore keep staying on the radar.

Hopefully they get this fixed soon.

Somebody noticed that the "location caught" has changed from ~the block you caught it to ~the entire city. People are theorizing that change also changed the "nearby" radar, since the location caught circle seemed to line up roughly with 3 steps before.

I ate an engineer
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Repeat

huh

Uhh...

News takes time to reach the highlands, milski.

It's like being a frontiersman in the 1800s.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    So salty

BeNarwhal wrote: »

Repeat

huh

Uhh...

I have an RSS feed/possibly illegal tracking device with all Winky updates installed directly into my brain. Get with the times.

I ate an engineer
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    oh also, yes narwhal, carry your meds with you!you never know when you might need them for an emergency or if you are away longer than expected! Especially clonopin!

Repeat

huh

Uhh...

I have an RSS feed/possibly illegal tracking device with all Winky updates installed directly into my brain. Get with the times.

*glances over at his filing cabinet*

Some of us prefer our intel to be ... Low-tech.

Repeat

huh

Uhh...

yeah sorry been out the loop a while

Neco wrote: »
    oh also, yes narwhal, carry your meds with you!you never know when you might need them for an emergency or if you are away longer than expected! Especially clonopin!

I keep meaning to, and did when I was getting them in blister packs. I'm gonna get them to start doing that again.

So portable, so convenient.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Jesus it is hot out.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    hello fellow butts

how are your butts?

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    wake up sleepyheads

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    uVTLSJ7.jpg

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Jesus it is hot out.

yesterday was worse until the rain hit

its only 62 degrees you weirdos

edited July 2016
    i gotta say

i make really good breakfast quesadillas

Neco on
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Neco wrote: »
    i gotta say

i make r5eally good breakfast quesadillas

i do too! i usually grab longiza or mexican chorizo and remove it from its casing, cook

ad to tortilla with mix of monterey jack and cheddar

add scrambled eggs, chorizo

and then top with fresh avocado and cilantro, served with tapatio

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    uVTLSJ7.jpg

That bottom row should read gym leaders welcome.

i wish we had a summer

right now i am making hash

i fear it will not be as good as it usually is

because i had to use idaho potatoes rather than yukon gold

i also got my pancetta from a different place

it's good, but it has a lower fat content the one i usually use, which often provided enough of a base to where i needed to add no further oil

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I am listening to The Name of the Wind audiobook instead of comedy podcasts, like some sort of white tower intellectual.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I make far too many typos when phone posting

can you feel the struggle within?
    [Chat], the sun is inconveniently positioned for the direction I'm travelling

Someone get on fixing that please

i am also reading a fantasy book and not hating it so far

A Darker Shade of Magic (think 50 shades of gray + harry potter)

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Oh god, I'm dying.

Pray for me [chat]

sig.gif
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I am always bad at being on schedule for weekend mornings

poo
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Please last battery

I need u to pokemans

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    160715105243-michael-wolf-hong-kong-super-43.jpg

Hong Kong tenement, 2014

*screams internally*

oh....I suppose tenement indicates these places are crappy inside, but without that context it's a really cool photo portraying kinda awesome human density.

If the photo was just labeled Hong Kong apartments, would that be as bad (ie is it the concept of the squalor or the concept of the density that is upsetting? Cause the former, sure, but the latter, no way, that's awesome.)

160713161848-hong-kong-photo-benny-lam-restricted-3-super-43.jpg

"Trapped" Benny Lam, photographer, 2014

Vanguard wrote: »
    i am also reading a fantasy book and not hating it so far

A Darker Shade of Magic (think 50 shades of gray + harry potter)

Only the worst part of my brain can combine those two stories

Oh, Voldemort ...

must...not...sleep....must....dragon...age....

Six wrote: »
    I make far too many typos when phone posting

I'd have thought I would get better at it over the years, but no. Phone posting is just hard.

This discussion has been closed.