As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Podcast]s are blood. [Podcast]s are life. Devote your ears

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I just bought that triple double crunch wrap tonight

It is a crunchwrap with more crunchwrap stuff in it

I happen to like crunchwraps, so it was pretty alright

I did feel a mild pang of guilt afterward, though
    Working as intended

CYpGAPn.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I too got a super crunchwrap

I actually found it to be a little too big such that stuff fell out of it more easily

PNk1Ml4.png
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

There are parts of our daily lives that we just take for granted as being normal, but science proves us wrong. One of the best ways to look at this is language. We've previously discussed on the podcast how languages with future tenses (like English) make us really bad at planning for the future. We just think the future is some imaginary place that we'll always to go later. That's why we're great at fun things like procrastinating, drinking and smoking.

Chinese, on the other hand, doesn't have tenses at all, so native speakers find themselves naturally better at planning for the time ahead. For Chinese speakers, the future isn't some magical fairy island that will always come tomorrow–the structure of the language just makes the consequences of life more immediate in their brains.

These little cultural differences literally affect how we perceive the world. In languages with more words for the color green, for example, speakers can actually see more shades of green than us. What is a superpower to us is completely mundane to them because they've just had that language and ability their whole life.

On this week's podcast Jack O'Brien is joined by Cracked executive editor Jason Pargin (aka David Wong) to outline some of the scientific ways our brains trick us with this phenomenon-- how our sense perception, something we assume is uniform across all humanity, actually changes depending on what culture we're brought up in.

Footnotes:

Donald Trump/Bernie Sanders "Yuuuge" Forum Thread: goo.gl/xNhQ4e

Blue Square/Green Square Experiment: goo.gl/08DBcL

Cracked: Unexplained Things That Only Happen In A Few Places On Earth: goo.gl/zf42ye

Cracked: 7 Innocent Gestures That Can Get You Killed Overseas: goo.gl/7Nv1es

Cracked: 6 Mental Illnesses That Only Happen in One Place on Earth: goo.gl/seibHn

Cracked: 5 Insane Ways Words Can Control Your Mind: goo.gl/RlnD

Cracked: 5 Surprising Ways Your Language Affects How You Think: goo.gl/3g3nBa

Cracked: I Don't Know My Age: 5 Things I Learned in My Isolated Tribe: goo.gl/6LdJIh

Cracked: 6 Isolated Groups Who Had No Idea That Civilization Existed: goo.gl/e49hK

Invisibilia: McDonald's in Russia: goo.gl/nBrjpd

99% Invisible: Devil's Rope: goo.gl/VTbc2K

The McGurk Effect: goo.gl/T47EGZ

The Atlantic: Can Your Language Influence Your Spending, Eating and Smoking Habits: goo.gl/R9oI0m

Schoolboy Q's Blankface LP on Spotify: goo.gl/BgLM1a

Mwx884o.jpg
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    @Gatsby I found your "I shouldn't have said that" moment while editing. We were talking about how Australia is on the verge of going full Mad Max, and that I needed to by some leather armour and you said that you had plenty of leather around.

Oh please, as if I'm prudish about that stuff.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The recaps at the start of each FatT Dungeon World episode contain multiple segments that I have zero memory of having listened to, because apparently I just find myself thinking about other things while it's on

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Today I learned that Dan Ryckert's new "stories from my life book" is inspired by David Sedaris books and also that Dan is a huge fan of David Sedaris

That dude still surprises me sometimes

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    thinkin bout gettin some taco bell and looking at a pdf of dan ryckert's taco bell review scores against price, our cyberpunk future

just the words "pdf of dan ryckert's taco bell review scores" should be enough for the Celestials to deem us unworthy and scour the earth

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    thinkin bout gettin some taco bell and looking at a pdf of dan ryckert's taco bell review scores against price, our cyberpunk future

just the words "pdf of dan ryckert's taco bell review scores" should be enough for the Celestials to deem us unworthy and scour the earth

Surprisingly, the Celestials agree with Dan that Taco Bell food is the best food in existence.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I knew we were in a cyberpunk future when I saw crazy makeup and hair designs that were meant to fuck up facial recognition software.

It was the most cyberpunky thing I had ever seen.

I still think about this constantly

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I knew we were in a cyberpunk future when I saw crazy makeup and hair designs that were meant to fuck up facial recognition software.

I think I bring it up at least once a month.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to cyberpunk'd, where Ashton Kutcher messes with celebrities over the Internet.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have a super hard time focusing on Dungeon World FatT. Like, if I am doing anything else at all I am lost. I seem to only be able to listen to it sitting perfectly still while staring at a blank wall. Which is not something I am going to be able to do for the entirety of it.

I did not have this trouble with Adventure Zone.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to cyberpunk'd, where Ashton Kutcher messes with celebrities over the Internet.

I'm looking forward to steampunk'd, where all the pranks are just gluing gears to things.

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I think I bring it up at least once a month.

Everytime it gets brought up I'm annoyed all over again that neither the new Mirror's Edge or Watch Dogs 2 use those makeup and hair in their character designs.

• replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    I'm probably going to get Taco Bell today. Not a crunchwrap, though, since they're some sort of hyperspace labyrinth that I can't comprehend, let alone eat.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    It is just a taco supreme wrapped in a crunchy shell and soft shell with nacho cheese added.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

It is just a taco supreme wrapped in a crunchy shell and soft shell with nacho cheese added.

Okay you're going to have to slow down

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Okay you're going to have to slow down

Okay.

Crunchy Taco Supreme.
    Soft Taco Supreme.
    Put nacho cheese over them and eat together.

Done.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

The one where he tricks a dude into buying a bunch of robots is pretty good

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I like the one where he tricks a bunch of robots into disassembling a dude

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Travis McElroy is officially an old man, because he has posted like 20 autoposts from a phone game to his Twitter and boy I wish web Twitter had temporary mute filters

6F32U1X.png
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

The one where he tricks a dude into buying a bunch of robots is pretty good

many etymologists believe this is actually the source of the 20XX slang "trigged" (a corrupted form of tricked)

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Travis McElroy is officially an old man, because he has posted like 20 autoposts from a phone game to his Twitter and boy I wish web Twitter had temporary mute filters

Specifically, the dumb phone game Jeff Gerstmann was playing on Unpro Fridays

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

the series finale where the producers revealed to him he was a robot who'd been programmed with the memories of a notable 21st century doofus was pretty hilarious

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    I don't like Facebook but the "Block all posts like this one" feature is a good feature other sites need to steal.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

If you ever wondered how good Justin would be at dabbing and then immediately thought "probably not very"

You are correct

Hobnail wrote: »

the series finale where the producers revealed to him he was a robot who'd been programmed with the memories of a notable 21st century doofus was pretty hilarious

*Pulls out mirror*
    *Grins vacantly at reflection*

"Haha, BURN!"

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Dabbing just looks like Japanese super hero power poses but with your head tucked into your arm.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    Dabbing just looks like Japanese super hero power poses but with your head tucked into your arm.

It's the stupidest thing since the last "move" white people got into.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

yeah Justin looks like he should be wearing some sort of matador power armor or something with that pose

f2ojmwh3geue.png

*Takes notes*

Joel...

Hates it...

Must... be.... cool

*Takes notes*

Joel...

Hates it...

Must... be.... cool

Look as one of the lamest white people to ever live, trust me, white people are incredibly lame.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    When I first saw it I assumed dabbing was related to Usain Bolt's pose

BcSt8la.jpg?1

but it turns out it's completely unrelated

This has been White People Talk About Black Dance Crazes Minute

DrDinosaur on
    To clarify--dabbing might have been cool, once. I don't really know. But I do know that the instant it became popular with whitey, it stopped being cool.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

Yeah I am just unfollowing now, it's Too Much

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated

When Molly unfollows someone, they take notice.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

i am not a big twitter user but to be honest most of travis' tweeting grates a bit on me

don't want to be uncharitable and call it his "twitter persona" but don't want to go so far as to say it's his personality, because that feels rude, but... maybe? it's just like, sickly sweet

should prob unfollow anyway

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I had to unfollow Travis when he started five new podcasts in a single week

It was just too much

This discussion has been closed.