As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ask Tube (G&T edition)

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Why the angry hedgehog?

It's wearing a Hawaiian shirt, how could it possibly be angry?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Darmak wrote: »
    Why the angry hedgehog?

It's wearing a Hawaiian shirt, how could it possibly be angry?

'Cuz there's all these little holes in that shirt all over the back and it's ruined. Ruined!

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Who is your favorite Mass Effect character?

I guess Garrus? I like a lot of the characters but don't have a strong favourite
    Why the angry hedgehog?

A long time ago there was a competition to pick an avatar and this won. I still really like it so never changed it.

Notably the runner up was a boot stamping on the face of humanity for all time.
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Do you ever have to turn down applications to post Indie Games on that subforum, and for what reasons?

i guess this is an SE++ thing but I always wondered this about the child's play event announcement - was there some kind of shady thing that happened to prompt it?

Nothing super shady, I just need to be able to run over stuff before hand.
    Betsuni wrote: »
    What was your first gaming console (or a computer)?

Sega Master System. I ran that thing until the Saturn era pretty much
    Frei wrote: »
    Have you ever been in a long-distance relationship with a forum member and, if not, would you consider it? With me?

What's worse in Total Warhammer, marauder horsemen or the entire greenskin race?

No and no, but thanks. I have a fraternisation clause in my contract. Which I insisted on.

Marauder horseman any day of the week. Fuck all light cavalry.
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    What happened to "Shiny" and "Witness Me"? Those were great.

We cycle those out once the joke is stale. There'll be a new set when Icy or myself thinks of something good.

Speaking of stale jokes, is SE going to get its name changed back as well?

I always said I'd change it once your mom stopped calling me

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Basil wrote: »
    Would you like to see some pictures of cute horses and a cat, living in the wild Canadian west?

I guess?

3gmCZ31.jpg?1
    MVRkwKI.jpg?1
    s2NRVcy.jpg?1

Chrissy, Chip and Nephi. At least five out of ten cutes, each.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    Have you ever been threatened, or gotten really nasty messages from people that had to be removed from the forum? Do you get a lot of shit from forumers in the form of complaints?

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I'm dating myself with this one but how's it been dealing with the forums on Vanilla vs the old PHPBB forums? Would you recommend Vanilla to people setting up forums? Have you guys ever considered another migration to a newer piece of forum software like Discourse?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    What archetype did you like best? Also the powersets you liked best within it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Librarian wrote: »
    Have you ever been threatened, or gotten really nasty messages from people that had to be removed from the forum? Do you get a lot of shit from forumers in the form of complaints?

Oh yeah dude, all the time.
    I'm dating myself with this one but how's it been dealing with the forums on Vanilla vs the old PHPBB forums? Would you recommend Vanilla to people setting up forums? Have you guys ever considered another migration to a newer piece of forum software like Discourse?

Discourse isn't really newer in any meaningful sense. Vanilla started in 2009 and Discourse started in 2013, that's nothing in software years.

Until very recently I also worked for Vanilla, so I'm biased, but I have no plans to move forums. I don't really like Discourse, and Vanilla does everything we want it to.

We haven't had phpBB for like a decade, vBulletin was what we had before here. I wouldn't recommend them to anybody, they're both insecure, barely supported piece of shit software that no one should use. The entire internet should be scourged of their forums, using either is a huge "Hack Me Please" sign. As a general rule I won't even sign up to them.

As for whether I'd recommend it (which I did professionally for several years), for the open source definitely. For the paid product I wouldn't recommend it for smaller businesses or enthusiast forums. It's expensive and clearly meant for high income clients. If Sony or whoever asks, yeah, definitely Vanilla is the best option out there at the moment. If you just want to start a small forum about yoga or whatever, Vanilla's paid option is not for you.

• Options

Dominator, fire/psi was my main poogle. Super strength was a lot of fun too.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm curious, was there any specific inspiration for the Glorious Edict?
    Also, why "silly goose"? It seems like there'd be a wide array of potentially insulting animals that could have been chosen for the Glorious Edict, how'd silly goose win out?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    I'm curious, was there any specific inspiration for the Glorious Edict?
    Also, why "silly goose"? It seems like there'd be a wide array of potentially insulting animals that could have been chosen for the Glorious Edict, how'd silly goose win out?

Silly goose is an insult I'd used for many years, it's what my two year old cousin used to call me.

The Glorious Edict was largely done on a whim. Everything about it is deliberately ridiculous so that I could walk it back if it was a disaster and call it a joke.

There isn't really a specific incident. It's more that the rest of the internet became gradually shittier and more hostile and I wanted the forums to have a different identity. It's probably one of the biggest forks in forum history, in the timeline where the edict doesn't happen this forum is probably a lot more like 4Chan or Reddit.

• Options
    Also I'd just been playing Jade Empire, so that kind of language was in my head.

• Options
    I'm going to go lift but go ahead and keep asking questions if you want, I'll be back in an hour or so.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    How do you choose who becomes a mod? Not that I want to be, but I can image that the process of figuring out who would work and who wouldn't would be pretty intensive.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

Related question are you like me and think about the unceremonious shuttering of this game at least like, once a week at minimum?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Edit: never mind.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    If Heavy Rain's too much of a pain/expense to set up a livestream of for a charity reward, are there any other games you'd be more able to do if that were to come up?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Do you like piña coladas, and getting caught in the rain?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    How can you help us bring City of Heroes back? Do you know a guy who knows a guy who can Mission Impossible the NCSoft office and get us back online?

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    c10ud34g13 wrote: »
    I'm guessing I shouldn't ask the question you'd expect from me?

I just like seeing the results.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

Mind/Psi was so fun. Outside of neutering the LRSF it wasn't as useful as other types, but it was still good times.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Have you noticed a pattern of certain styles of games requiring more reigning in than others? For example, maybe the MOBA threads are more hostile on average, or fighters or shooters. Also, have you ever been surprised at a specific game's thread being significantly more or less emotional than you expected?

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    What's some of the weirdest/dumbest things you've had to tell others to be civil about or what was the weirdest/dumbest thing you've had to deal with??

I think to the single person posing as two accounts to try to push their viewpoint or have a "discussion". Just...... *facepalm*

• Options
    A steak! wrote: »

Mind/Psi was so fun. Outside of neutering the LRSF it wasn't as useful as other types, but it was still good times.

Plant/Psi was a blast. AoE confuse at lvl 8? Yeah, I'll take that.
    Still not as much fun as Crab Spiders though. It was great being able to summon an army of heavily armed robot spiders.

• Options
    How do you choose who becomes a mod? Not that I want to be, but I can image that the process of figuring out who would work and who wouldn't would be pretty intensive.

Mostly we look out for people who are good contributors and post a decent amount (but not too much, if you're one of the top volume posters you're automatically out). People who report good, insightful stuff too. After that, we look for people who aren't going to turn the mod forum into a fucking bummer.
    Arch wrote: »

Related question are you like me and think about the unceremonious shuttering of this game at least like, once a week at minimum?

Minimum
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm guessing I shouldn't ask the question you'd expect from me?

#1 https://blog.vanillaforums.com/community/vital-community-management-jargon-2014/
    darleysam wrote: »
    If Heavy Rain's too much of a pain/expense to set up a livestream of for a charity reward, are there any other games you'd be more able to do if that were to come up?

If I could requisition the equipment from PA I'd do most anything, but I don't think anyone is super into that idea (including me). Also
    A. The streaming culture is way saturated right now and I don't have anything unique to offer
    B. People watched those things for Piggy, not me, and she doesn't want to do them any more
    Turambar wrote: »
    Do you like piña coladas, and getting caught in the rain?

Yeah both are pretty nice.

Honestly those are dumb criteria for a dating profile because almost everyone likes pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. You're not really narrowing the field.

I wish I'd managed to level Professor Brain-In-A-Jar to 50
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Have you noticed a pattern of certain styles of games requiring more reigning in than others? For example, maybe the MOBA threads are more hostile on average, or fighters or shooters. Also, have you ever been surprised at a specific game's thread being significantly more or less emotional than you expected?

MOBAs and big multiplayer games (TF2, Overwatch) are always the shitshows. TF2 was the only game where the thread was bad enough that we nearly just nixed the entire discussion. For part 2, not really. I guess the recent blow up in the Eve thread was beyond even what I expected of that fanbase.
    Gilbert0 wrote: »
    What's some of the weirdest/dumbest things you've had to tell others to be civil about or what was the weirdest/dumbest thing you've had to deal with??

I can't believe at this point that I still have to explain to people that you shouldn't react to trolls. I can't believe that console wars are alive and well and being participated in by adults.

For the weirdest thing, probably the mods would have to remind me. There's been a lot of weird stuff. For dumbest, it's a boring answer but probably gamergate.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    In your time as boss of the forum, have you had any significant regrets or made decisions you wish you could take back? What's the biggest?

On a happier note, what's your favourite thing about the forums?

Do you have to get sign-off on any forum stuff you do?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Is it just me or have the forums been loading much slower the last few days?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Spaffy wrote: »
    In your time as boss of the forum, have you had any significant regrets or made decisions you wish you could take back? What's the biggest?

On a happier note, what's your favourite thing about the forums?

Do you have to get sign-off on any forum stuff you do?

I have, yeah, but honestly I can't name them. It's not really good to ponder over that stuff too much. Sometimes you also just have to break a few eggs. There are a lot of occasions where I took too long to kick people out, both of the forums and the mod staff.

I like the fact that people here help each other out a lot and are generally conscientious. There are a lot of great, supportive parts of this community, far more than bad parts.

Realistically, no. The only things I think I would need to sign off on are insane things I would never do, which would be turned down anyway. Like if I wanted to make a file sharing forum or something. That's about it. Oh, and things that are expensive. If I wanted to move forum software I'd have to give someone a call.
    Turambar wrote: »
    Is it just me or have the forums been loading much slower the last few days?

It's you

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Which world in Mario 3 is your favorite?

If ED made a new laser weapon type how would you prefer it work?

• Options
    edited July 2016

I've never played it

It would go eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and then fire out a huge beam like CHEEEOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW for massive damage. It would take like 15 seconds to charge and need to wait for a minute between firings.

Tube on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    If you could be emperor for a day of the forums, where you could do anything without ramifications or worries about cost, what would be the first thing you'd do?

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Which legitimate (non-spam, non-quit) thread in G&T was the worst ever and why?

What particular challenges exist in G&T that don't exist elsewhere on the forums?

What do you wish users did more of on G&T? Less of?

• Options

I've never played it

It would go eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and then fire out a huge beam like CHEEEOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW for massive damage. It would take like 15 seconds to charge and need to wait for a minute between firings.

*nods thoughtfully*

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

What particular challenges exist in G&T that don't exist elsewhere on the forums?

Chat thread was the worst.

• Options

Was there a specific event in Chat thread history that got them banned, or was it just the general atmosphere of the thread?

• Options
    Did you ever watch any of the lets plays done in G&T? I will always fondly remember SimBen's Chrono Trigger run.

• Options
    Tube, what's your routine today? I just did 6×10 T-bar rows and I'm going to do 3x8 pullups with a 4th set to failure.

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    With Khoo leaving PA and you leaving Vanilla, what is this super secret new social media platform that we will all be using in 2 years?

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

I thought it would be gamergate

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    If you could be emperor for a day of the forums, where you could do anything without ramifications or worries about cost, what would be the first thing you'd do?

Aside from cost that's already essentially the case. There's nothing I'm champing at the bit to do that I can't already. For cost uuuuuhhhh... I'd get a bunch of customisations and then probably think of another thing. Oh, I'd pay the mods. I'm assuming this cost thing allows me to put down standing orders.

I don't know what "non quit" means in this context, but probably the chat thread.

People can be more grognardy in G&T than other forums, and while people here are generally less badly behaved the people who are badly behaved are generally the worst ones to deal with. You're more likely to get some uppity nerd who's completely out of touch with reality and thinks he's incredibly hot shit because he has the best raiding guild on the server or whatever.

I'm kind of sick of every single thread becoming about "is this games character appropriately dressed?". That's just a personal thing though, it's a debate I'm incredibly tired of and I don't think either side has anything interesting to say on the matter. "Did you know that boob plate is unreal-" Yes. Yes everyone also read that article.

For doing more of: being excellent, sharing cool stuff. Creating cool stuff. Helping people out. Anything that isn't arguing or getting mad about video games.

This discussion has been closed.