As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Stranger Things] The Rollerskate Of Justice (Season 4 OPEN SPOILERS)

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I think my two favorite tracks from this (other than the synth stuff created for the show) were these two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZFScP4B4Q4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LY3ftiLqmE

Wassermelone on
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    I feel like the title of the show is taken from the phrase "stranger things have happened", which is jokingly ironic, but also sincere since
    they literally meet stranger things

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Watched this last night, and loved it. As a D&D player who grew up in the 80's the kids were quite literally around the same age I was so I had an incredibly easy time connecting with those characters.
    I also love the fact that they drop a D&D reference about the Vale of Shadows on their teacher and he picks up on it without so much as blinking an eye.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Watched this last night, and loved it. As a D&D player who grew up in the 80's the kids were quite literally around the same age I was so I had an incredibly easy time connecting with those characters.
    I also love the fact that they drop a D&D reference about the Vale of Shadows on their teacher and he picks up on it without so much as blinking an eye.

Ending Spoilers
    I was so glad they didn't kill him. Also I found it incredibly amusing when the kids call him and he is on a date. You can read his face "Dammit kids, I'm trying to get laid here". He still helps them out though, and that's pretty awesome.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Also, side note: the music selection for this is great. I want to find somewhere with the Peter Gabriel cover of Heroes for sale, certainly.

It's from his relatively recent album of covers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_My_Back

Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Yeah, it shouldn't be hard to find. As much as I like that cover though, it really pulled me out of the show briefly since I knew it was recorded in this decade. Everything else had been so completely appropriate to that 80s time period that hearing a recording I knew was much newer had about the same effect as using something by Tame Impala (or any other recent band that sounds older) would have.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Finale spoilers
    Theres is absolutely no way they missed Wills little problem at the hospital. One X-Ray would have shown something in his stomach/lungs. They definitely did an MRI as,well given there was a tube half as long as he was shoved down his torso/spoiler]

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Finale spoilers
    Theres is absolutely no way they missed Wills little problem at the hospital. One X-Ray would have shown something in his stomach/lungs. They definitely did an MRI as,well given there was a tube half as long as he was shoved down his torso/spoiler]
    To be fair, its the spawn of an otherworldly horror that can slip between dimensions seemingly at will, erasing its portals behind it with only the occasional slime left behind.

On top of having an interdimensional slug in him, theres a high chance that Will's himself has dimensional issues considering he flickered in between the bathroom and Upside Down.

Who knows how all of this plays with MRIs or XRays

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Finale spoilers
    To be fair, its the spawn of an otherworldly horror that can slip between dimensions seemingly at will, erasing its portals behind it with only the occasional slime left behind.

On top of having an interdimensional slug in him, theres a high chance that Will's himself has dimensional issues considering he flickered in between the bathroom and Upside Down.

For all we know what we saw was more a suggestion of trauma — there may not actually have been a cosmic slug to be coughed up, and Will may not actually be in a dimensional interstice of sorts, but rather the consequence of his time in the Shadow Vale has left a significant imprint upon his mind. Which would certainly be understandable.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Finale spoilers

For all we know what we saw was more a suggestion of trauma — there may not actually have been a cosmic slug to be coughed up, and Will may not actually be in a dimensional interstice of sorts, but rather the consequence of his time in the Shadow Vale has left a significant imprint upon his mind. Which would certainly be understandable.
    I suspect this is deliberately ambiguous for normal "first season" reasons. If Stranger Things had not proved an immediate hit, we get the traumatic flashback interpretation. With a second season, it becomes a hook for the next chapter in the story.

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Webguy20 wrote:
    I was so glad they didn't kill him. Also I found it incredibly amusing when the kids call him and he is on a date. You can read his face "Dammit kids, I'm trying to get laid here". He still helps them out though, and that's pretty awesome.

I wholeheartedly agree. Coming up on the final episodes I kept hoping he'd survive. He seemed like a really cool guy.

Operative21 on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Three episodes in.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

What wizardry did the casting department employ to get such brilliant child actors?! These are the best child actors I've seen since Game of Thrones!

The kid playing Eleven deserves an Emmy at the very least!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Considering what she does while saying like five words per episode, she totally deserves some recognition.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Even the three year old was amazing! WTF?!

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I tend to give the directors/writers as much credit for good child actors as the child actors themselves.

I feel like its probably as much on them to give the children the right situation, shots, and motivation to perform as it is on the children's acting ability.

I say this because when a movie/tv show has good child actors it feels like they are all good and vice versa.

ObiFett on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Wife and I watched 4 episodes tonight and man all we want to do is watch the last 4! Stupid work, stupid responsibilities...

Can't even wait to finish this thing tomorrow evening.

Eleven looked super familiar but shes way to young to be from anything Id remember. Its kinda odd

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Eleven looked super familiar but shes way to young to be from anything Id remember. Its kinda odd

She looks disconcertingly like a cross between young wil Wheaton and young Winona Ryder

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Only on episode 2, so I'm probably gonna duck out of here soon, but according to IMDB she was in Intruders and Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, as well as a few guest spot in NCIS, Modern Family, and Grey's Anatomy.

Personally, though, she reminds me of a young Jena Malone.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm finishing episode 3 and oh man is this show good.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    This interview with the Duffer's is really good: FULL SEASON SPOILERS IN THIS SHIT

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    At first I thought that Dustin's actor is the kid of a semi-famous actress.
    According to Heather Matarazzo of Little Egg Harbor, it's not too bad. Her 9-year-old son Gaten is currently playing the part of Benji in the Broadway play Priscilla Queen of the Desert, the Musical.

Heather Matarazzo was the star of Welcome to the Dollhouse, but I guess this is a different Heather Matarazzo? I can't find any info on the actress having any kids (she's an out lesbian, not that that matters, but she broke up with her partner a few years ago before they had kids).

But seriously.
    Heather
    zvyqu6tk4i9b.jpg

Gaten
    mrrfnok6q0bo.jpg

Am I crazy here?

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

I get why it's necessary for making a concise scene, but the idea that what is presumably a boss encouter is resolved with a single die roll is silly. I doubt even AD&D was like that.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I've never actually played classical D&D, but I got the impression that it was just the initial dice roll.

Then they had to call it quits 'cause mom was bein' a party pooper.

HamHamJ wrote: »

I get why it's necessary for making a concise scene, but the idea that what is presumably a boss encouter is resolved with a single die roll is silly. I doubt even AD&D was like that.

Well, AD&D 1E had tons of wild things that could happen, but none of them were when you
    rolled a 14 with a fireball. You don't even roll to hit with most spells. And even magic resistance is handled with percentile dice.

I seem to recall that the thessalhydra could only be killed with fire, though.

That said, when I was that age I completely disregarded the rules most of the time. Demogorgon's XP and treasure types were way too sweet to waste by following the rules.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Also, side note: the music selection for this is great. I want to find somewhere with the Peter Gabriel cover of Heroes for sale, certainly.

It's from his relatively recent album of covers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_My_Back

Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Listening Wind off that album is one of my favourites. Utterly transcends it's Talking Heads origins.

Also this show is pretty dang gud. We watched half of it in one sitting without realising, and I have been trying to ration the last few episodes out. We have like, 2 left.

Oh brilliant
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Okay, that interview was awesome. The story about the
    monster, and how it was freaking out all the kids on the set until they said it was from Monstropolis was awesome. Also, I had no idea parts were animatronics. So cool.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    Okay, that interview was awesome. The story about the
    monster, and how it was freaking out all the kids on the set until they said it was from Monstropolis was awesome. Also, I had no idea parts were animatronics. So cool.

I like the influence the Furiosa marketing had on getting
    a little girl to shave her head

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I too have a strong impression that I have seen Eleven's doppelganger in the past and none of the suggestions so far have scratched that itch. This is going to drive me crazy.

On the other hand, Nancy looks like a perfect cross between Emmy Rossum and Sloan Peterson from Ferris Buehler.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Been waiting on this since I saw the trailer pop up on Netflix. Watched the first two episodes with the other half tonight.

What a roller coaster. Each episode you just go through so many emotions. I don't even want to talk about which ones because that would spoil stuff. this is a fantastic show.

I too have a strong impression that I have seen Eleven's doppelganger in the past and none of the suggestions so far have scratched that itch. This is going to drive me crazy.

On the other hand, Nancy looks like a perfect cross between Emmy Rossum and Sloan Peterson from Ferris Buehler.

At first I thought it was Jack from Mass Effect because duh but Im guessing I saw her on modern family at somepoint

• Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    The actress that played Eleven was in Intruders on BBC America. Maybe that's it?

Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Dang, this thread already has a lot full season posts!

Watched the first two episodes of this yesterday and all I can think about is how badly I want to watch more. Good stuff.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

Watched the first two episodes of this yesterday and all I can think about is how badly I want to watch more. Good stuff.

I honestly wish there was a Netflix mode that disabled intros, end credits, and previously on's. I'd roll right on through like it was an 8 hour movie. Just throw up the title cards for each new episode, since they kind of set the theme for each block.

The actress that played Eleven was in Intruders on BBC America. Maybe that's it?

Never saw it.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I gotta say that Stranger Things had some solid cold openings, also some of the longest ones I remember seeing.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

I honestly wish there was a Netflix mode that disabled intros, end credits, and previously on's. I'd roll right on through like it was an 8 hour movie. Just throw up the title cards for each new episode, since they kind of set the theme for each block.

some day this binge UI will exist. Some day.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Considering the universal acclaim this show is getting, I'm really curious what people with an amazing cinematic eye and great theatrical analysis like @Atomika and/or @Astaereth think of it

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Love love looooove this show!! Wow! Everything about it was good. I'm really happy that I did not miss this.
    Ending Spoilers
    Hopper must be some kind of ex-gov, right? By the end of it he showed a lot of know how and knew how to handle himself really well against the soldiers.
    As for the Upside Down I'm thinking it's a parallel universe that got infected with those things. Think about all that was shown... once the gate was opened it started to spread. The Upside Down is a universe where things got out of hand at the Hawkins Lab and that gunk spread all over their town, infecting it and messing up the environment. The gate these parallel scientists opened unleashed a monster or monsters that reproduce Aliens style.
    Oh and yeah, Steve is cool now. He redeemed himself by the end.

Looking forward to what's next in the future!

Armoroc on
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I gotta say that Stranger Things had some solid cold openings, also some of the longest ones I remember seeing.

The new season of Marco Polo has a 20 minute battle scene, pre-credits. I had been binging, so I figured the end of the battle would be the end of the episode... Then I hit the opening credits. Whoa.

• DedmanWalkinDedmanWalkin Registered User regular
    I tried to explain why this was awesome to a coworker and all I could come up with is that it is every good 80s movies condensed into a single series.

Full Season Spoilers
    The Upside Down contains many elements of Silent Hill. Creepy alternate reality mirroring our own that is foggy and dim and with organic crap everywhere created by a powerful psionic child. If we assume that El is taking the place of Alessa Gillespie, then she may have created the Upside Down. The Demogorgon would be a manifestation of her broken psyche. When she killed the Demogorgon, she and it disappeared. I think she teleported them both into the Upside Down rather than kill it. She may be in a perpetual battle with it to keep the world safe, literally fighting her own demons. Much like the Demogorgon, she may be able to form portals into the real world to retrieve resources but only within the same area it was restricted to going. This is why the Sheriff left the Eggos in a box near Murkwood.

The Demogorgon seemed like it only hunted animals to actually eat for nutrition. All the people it took where taken to the Library. I think this was to feed the organic crap that was growing in the Upside Down. If you notice, the more people had gone missing the more the organic crap had taken over the basement. In the first couple of episodes the elevator had no organic crap on it but by the last episode it had grown throughout the hallway.

Overall, me and my wife thoroughly enjoyed the series. It would be cool if the series had several seasons of stories that all work as individual arcs but all come together in one season like an 80s movie Avengers.