As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Brother Nero has betrayed the [Wrestling Thread]

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    So wait, is Live Smackdown gonna be 3 hours from jump? Or does that come later? Because you better believe it's coming.
    It is two hours

CYpGAPn.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So wait, is Live Smackdown gonna be 3 hours from jump? Or does that come later? Because you better believe it's coming.

There's been no public talk of making Smackdown 3 hours. And the live special tonight is 2 hours.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    lostwords wrote: »
    Kinda pumped for the draft! I love everyone sitting around backstage with raw and smackdown shirts on and reacting to the picks. One of my favorite little wrestling moments is when kofi got drafted to smackdown, I believe, and cutting backstage to the whole roster doing his little boom clappy taunt. Also I guess they are planning like a simultaneous two screen experience with the www network, which could be interesting? Depends on their guests, I guess. Just wanna see a Regal cameo with Tajiri

isn't there a gif somewhere of everyone doing kofis boom clap when he got drafted

EzUAYcn.png
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    They'll move to 3 hours. The ad revenue alone will make it happen. They've made Raw work at 3 hours.

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    They'll move to 3 hours. The ad revenue alone will make it happen. They've made Raw work at 3 hours.

Have they?

Sprout wrote: »

Have they?

Maybe by ad revenue but not by Neilson ratings. However the latter is of course a more controversial subject now.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    There is no controversy over nielsen ratings: they flat out do not matter

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Have they?

Maybe by ad revenue but not by Neilson ratings. However the latter is of course a more controversial subject now.

I'm talking creatively. As a viewer of the program that's what I care about, not whatever business metrics people try to throw around to justify their fandom.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm really excited for the post draft future.

I know it gets derailed, but the early brand split was really great, with the shows developing a separate personality, new guys being given chances and when the stars interacted it felt like a big deal.

I do hope they stay away from Raw vs. Smackdown matches. Always hated those.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular

I mean, they do in that television networks still adhere to this archaic way of programming, but here they don't because it's cable and WWE still pulls in top 10 cable ratings easily.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    Nirya wrote: »

I mean, they do in that television networks still adhere to this archaic way of programming, but here they don't because it's cable and WWE still pulls in top 10 cable ratings easily.

I mean, they SHOULDN'T matter, networks are just slow to adapt to the reality of streaming content becoming the backbone of televised entertainment now

In honor of Bob Backlund returning to television here's some more of him from his beginnings

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0HvKeEe-Eqs

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NolvcCD2e7o

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Eub_aMleqCY

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I thought they were gonna give Smackdown a fair chance, but then they put Lawler on the commentary team.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Crazy Old Man Bob Backlund is my absolute favorite

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

Have they?

I'm talking creatively. As a viewer of the program that's what I care about, not whatever business metrics people try to throw around to justify their fandom.

I am not justifying fandom, I'm saying that they are making an hour more of ad revenue on Live Raw than they will on Live Smackdown, so they are going to change that.

And they've made it work in that they're making money with it, and if they weren't, they would have stopped doing it.

How many cruisers are on the main roster right now? Let's assume they're using the 205 weight limit.

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    wwe can't just declare smackdown to be three hours by fiat

usa would have to agree to it

OK Wreddit had the list of current WWE cruisers and it's... not very many. Unless they up the weight limit.

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    OK Wreddit had the list of current WWE cruisers and it's... not very many. Unless they up the weight limit.

Clearly the division is going to be stocked out of the CWC to a large extent, they also I would imagine freed up Kalisto to be the presumptive figure head to start.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
    It's Neville, Kalisto, Enzo, and Xavier for those interested.

And Tyson Kidd if he ever returns.

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I am 99% sure that tyson will never wrestle again

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    It's Neville, Kalisto, Enzo, and Xavier for those interested.

And Tyson Kidd if he ever returns.

They also lie about weights all the time...they could easily claim a guy who is a little over is just under.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    They could have guys trying to drop weight (in kayfabe) to get under the limit to compete in the division.

Wasn't that a storyline with Jericho in WCW?

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    facetious wrote: »
    They could have guys trying to drop weight (in kayfabe) to get under the limit to compete in the division.

Matt Hardy did it in 2003 as well.

If I'm TNA I'd make sure most of the X division is locked into contracts because I could see WWE going after talent like Andrew Everett and Trevor Lee to stock up on cruisers.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    They should redo the Super Heavyweight Holly gimmick. Have a scale malfunction and show like Ryback or Rusev or something as weighing 200 pounds instead of 300. Have him bring a scale to the ring when he enters, step on it and it breaks. Then squash a few guys until the champ beats him and kicks him back out of the division.

uyvfOQy.png
    New topical thread title?

• hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    The [Wrestling Thread] drafts Giant Tiger to RAW, Nick Gage to Smackdown!

I'd like to see Andrew Everett on Raw, the guy is an amazing flyer

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9tzOCciS4HQ

But he has a pretty blasé physique.

Who gives a shit about physique, Kevin Owens is a cornerstone of the wwe right now

Who gives a shit about physique, Kevin Owens is a cornerstone of the wwe right now

Owens is also a big dude. And I'm not saying I'd agree with WWE for passing on Everett due to his look but it is a factor.

Sign Shynron for Raw.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I love beleaguered old man Cena from Raw last night.

He just doesn't understand the kids with their Pokemans and their "Howyadoin"s

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    Screw it sign Jervis Cottonbelly for the cruiser division as well.

• CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »

They also did it with Matt Hardy (V-ONEAAAAAAH!) in WWE.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    They should redo the Super Heavyweight Holly gimmick. Have a scale malfunction and show like Ryback or Rusev or something as weighing 200 pounds instead of 300. Have him bring a scale to the ring when he enters, step on it and it breaks. Then squash a few guys until the champ beats him and kicks him back out of the division.

I randomly think about Crash and just get super depressed about his passing. That whole gimmick just made me laugh and smile so much.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    Gotta wonder if WWE will start going after more Lucha and Japanese talent now with the Raw announcement.

• hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    It'd probably be easier for them to try to sign guys from the indies who are already living in America.

This discussion has been closed.