As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Democracy: Presidential Edition - Vote Your Conscience!

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
edited July 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
Rumor has it that an unpopular person is trying to get elected president of the United States, and their opponents are uniting against it.

Here's an artist's rendition of how it'll turn out.

tumblr_nemiix3znQ1s5jb9ho1_1280.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
ElJeffe on

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    *wait, this isn't chat*

MrMister on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I haven't decided yet if this election is a comedy or a tragedy.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    CNN has decided to just start trolling.
    P3ESFoG.jpg

Tragicomedy.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

Yes.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

cogedy? tramedy? a lil bit greek, a lil bit shakespeare?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

We find that out November 8th.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    So I guess the closest thing to this election is Jurassic Bark, then? Occasionally funny, but leaves you with a feeling of utter, inconsolable sadness.

• Options
    So I guess the closest thing to this election is Jurassic Bark, then? Occasionally funny, but leaves you with a feeling of utter, inconsolable sadness.

only i could watch Jurassic Bark over and over. not sure i could go through this election more than once.

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular

It all depends on how it ends.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, what's going on outside Quicken Loans Arena?

Irony, apparently.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    https://www.washingtonian.com/2016/07/19/we-ran-melania-trumps-speech-through-a-plagiarism-checker/
    Here’s an even more shocking statistic: According to Turnitin, a plagiarism-checking website that examines 200,000 papers day, the “likelihood that a 16-word match is ‘just a coincidence’ is less than 1 in a trillion.” Melania Trump’s longest match? 23 words.

So anyway, while we've been talking about this, we're in a new day now. What new awfulness has surfaced?

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    This election is the most existentially terrifying thing

Like, Bush/Gore was retrospectively more terrifying, but nobody could see that at the time

This is like, a train full of nuclear weapons with faulty detonators is on fire and barreling across a poorly-maintained bridge over a canyon full of puppies and there's a bus full of orphans stalled out on the tracks and everyone can see it coming because it's being livestreamed by fifty people on their phones and, just, one of you can pull the lever, just pull the freaking lever, oh my god just-

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Last night they were chanting "lock her up" wrt Hillary Clinton.

But a total lightweight giving a cribbed speech is the thing that wrecks their newscycle.

Motherfucker.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    https://www.washingtonian.com/2016/07/19/we-ran-melania-trumps-speech-through-a-plagiarism-checker/
    Here’s an even more shocking statistic: According to Turnitin, a plagiarism-checking website that examines 200,000 papers day, the “likelihood that a 16-word match is ‘just a coincidence’ is less than 1 in a trillion.” Melania Trump’s longest match? 23 words.

So anyway, while we've been talking about this, we're in a new day now. What new awfulness has surfaced?

Trump is still on track to secure the nomination.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    This election is the most existentially terrifying thing

Like, Bush/Gore was retrospectively more terrifying, but nobody could see that at the time

This is like, a train full of nuclear weapons with faulty detonators is on fire and barreling across a poorly-maintained bridge over a canyon full of puppies and there's a bus full of orphans stalled out on the tracks and everyone can see it coming because it's being livestreamed by fifty people on their phones and, just, one of you can pull the lever, just pull the freaking lever, oh my god just-

Yeah watching the world spiral to dystopia isn't really something I thought I was going to have to watch even like 10 years ago.

It's really hard to keep hearing all this shit, and not asking the question, what's the point of the trivial shit I work on every day if the world's about to explode within the next 4 years?

I can't wait for this election to be over just so I know how fucked we are.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Well if you can stand another day of this, the live stream is starting back up again.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Delegates opposed to Trump are getting threatened. As in death threats.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I still wonder what the world would have looked like had Gore and Lieberman entered the White House in 2001.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

It gets better. Alex Jones got into a fight with labor protestors, then was whisked away in an unmarked car by police.

This is a thing that happened.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I still wonder what the world would have looked like had Gore and Lieberman entered the White House in 2001.

Less drunk.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

It gets better. Alex Jones got into a fight with labor protestors, then was whisked away in an unmarked car by police.

Were there helicopters involved? Were they black?

THE WORLD MUST KNOW

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Basically, reality has taken the gloves off in its long running competition with The Onion.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    @MrTLicious

No. Both are illegal use of copyrighted material. Like singing a song that someone wrote. Just because you change a few lyrics unless it's a parody of the song itself it's not fair use. You have to license (and attribute).

You can sometimes fair use for quotes but only if it's as a quote. If not then plagiarism is a copyright violation. You could quote a song in the same way or even maybe play a small section of the song.

Edit: but playing a section of a song/performance would only be fair use is something like music critique since you can get the value from just the quote in another instance

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

And here's the video! Beware some very loud bleeping from the start.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    God, no self-respecting person from Michigan should be wearing red and white jerseys. Don't let Ohio troll you like that, morons.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I could sorta see the response of "There's only so many ways to write a sentence" excuse... at first. When I read the first line, that's exactly the thought that popped in my head.

Then the second line... ok again, only so many variations of..

Third line... yeah.

Reminds me of a funny story in high school. Spoilered because it's really more or less OT at this point.
    It was in an electronics class (soldering, circuit boards, that kind of active hands-on shit). We had to write a small, 1 page report on... something. It was basically to write it and show you understand the concept. But fundamentally... it was taking a few paragraphs in a book and writing it in your own words. Given the subject matter and length though, there's only so many ways you can write about it, explain the subject, and put your own personal spin on it. So I basically copy out what's in the book and do my best to change enough words so that I didn't literally xerox the page. And I hand it in.

20 minutes later, the teacher calls me and a friend up. We're often in the same group on projects, so we're known compatriots to him. He says "Nice try, but you clearly just copied your work (as in, I'm the one who "did the work", and my friend is the one who I let "copy it". For the record, we didn't. We completely did the paper separately, and I said as much. He hands me both papers.

We fucking wrote almost literally the same words. My work is barely a derivative of the textbook as is (and just to point out, this is fine and the teacher knows and expects this given the subject and length). But my friend's paper is even less a derivative of mine. It legitimately looks like he just copied my paper but was so lazy he only changed some "and's" and "the's".

The ending is a lot happier though. We both got zero's, but this was hardly a grade defining paper, and it didn't affect a thing. This was also the kind of teacher that you're more chummy with, not strictly business. And I was more or less kind of a "teachers pet" kind of student as well. I could slack off or help others with their work because I'd get the job done, and it was ok because I never disrupted the class. It was also the type of hands-on class that when you're done, there's really nothing for you to do but twiddle your thumbs anyways (you have 4 days to finish this circuit board build, and I'd do it in 2 and a half). So I think on some level he believed me. But he still gave the zero. And my response to him was that... I can't fight it, nor really prove otherwise. Because I'm looking at both papers and it looks exactly like we copied each other. Even though I swear to you all we did not!

...To go back to the speech though... yeah, pretty clear lady totally copied that speech.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Michigan has self-respecting people?

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Basically, reality has taken the gloves off in its long running competition with The Onion.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Day 2 begins with Priebus honoring cops.

Edit: they are the color guard.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Were there helicopters involved? Were they black?

THE WORLD MUST KNOW

They were painted with complex murals depicting birds of prey diving. /s

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Oh geez, a bunch of children in national costumes from all over the world got up on stage... and lead the crowd in the pledge of allegiance.

A bunch of kids representing a bunch of other nations pledged allegiance to the American flag.

Nobody saw the slightest problem with this.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Oh geez, a bunch of children in national costumes from all ove the world got up on stage... and lead the crowd in the pledge of allegiance.

A bunch of kids representing a bunch of other nations pledged allegiance to the American flag.

Yeah, that was weird.

• Options
    Oh geez, a bunch of children in national costumes from all ove the world got up on stage... and lead the crowd in the pledge of allegiance.

(headdesk)

#DrinkLikeAnOnionEditor

• Options
    Oh good, Sessions gets to talk.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I'm really confused by the inclusion of the sikh prayer. You're giving me mixed signals here. I guess that's a good thing to do...
    I'm fully aware the sikh religion is its own thing and has nothing to do with muslims, but you generally don't give off the impression you care about those distinctions RNC.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    By the way for the terrified people in previous thread. Ignore Nate for now, where's the demographic shift? The polls have picked up two:

1) College educated whites, 10 points or so towards Clinton.
    2) Hispanics, 10 points towards Clinton (if Spanish language polls are conducted).

So the idea Trump could win is based on dramatically higher turnout among non-college educated whites or lower turnout among minorities. Based on the primary, neither is happening.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Oh geez, a bunch of children in national costumes from all over the world got up on stage... and lead the crowd in the pledge of allegiance.

i could see that working if it were meant as a celebration of immigration but that's just not the GOP.

This discussion has been closed.