As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World of Darkness] Red Star shining at WW HQ, heads to roll

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Figured I got beat to it. Fascinating, especially how they show the big 3.

wVEsyIc.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So there's apparently a documentary about the creation of the World of Darkness in the works. I'd link the teaser trailer, but it doesn't really say anything and is a bit NSFW.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The MMO?

wVEsyIc.png
    Meanwhile it's been 2 and half months since there's been an update on the Mage 20th kickstarter :?

I still need to get the Mage: Awakening 2e. Wondering how much it reinvents the wheel.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The MMO?

No, the pnp RPG series.

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Meanwhile it's been 2 and half months since there's been an update on the Mage 20th kickstarter :?

Isn't it done? Books have been shipped, the PDFs are out, etc.

The MMO?

No, the pnp RPG series.

I'm interested. And I'd love to see one on the MMO too.

wVEsyIc.png

Just the main book, not the Book of Shadows and other stretch goals

Looked into it and realized I was only 7-8 books short on a complete Wraith collection, grabbed a few books off ebay for cheap, so now I'm 4-5 short.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I had the Wraith core book in high school. I don't think I ever really "got" it. That whole deal was quite a bit more conceptual than the Werewolf I was really into at the time.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    I don't think I ever got a game running, but I really liked the setting.

I kind of got lost in the changing breed stuff. And "converting" it to Werewolf Wild West.

Because snake-person gunslingers fighting native american bear people was the coolest thing in high school.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.

Just the main book, not the Book of Shadows and other stretch goals

Oh, those get updates every Monday Meeting blog post. Just scroll down.

Looked into it and realized I was only 7-8 books short on a complete Wraith collection, grabbed a few books off ebay for cheap, so now I'm 4-5 short.

Did you back Wraith20?

Did you back Wraith20?

Yup.

Did you back Wraith20?

Yup.

Did you get the regular book or the ultra whatever one? The "regular" one is black leather bound, you gotta get the extra special one to get the binding that matches the rest of the line. Of course iirc Wraith is black so you're probably fine.

Did you back Wraith20?

Yup.

Did you get the regular book or the ultra whatever one? The "regular" one is black leather bound, you gotta get the extra special one to get the binding that matches the rest of the line. Of course iirc Wraith is black so you're probably fine.

I got the big fancy one, and the coupon for the "at cost" print on demand version.

'course I backed this and the Mage kickstarter right before my gaming group fell apart entirely, so getting the non-special versions (ostensibly so I don't risk damaging them carrying 'em around to games) aren't as vital anymore.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I think I've met 10x as many people who own Wraith: the Oblivion as people who've actually played it, and that's taking into account that most players are relying on their ST to have the book.

Don't get me wrong, I dug Wraith, and thought it had a lot of really solid ideas. But it was always so much more useful to me as a supplement for Mage and Vampire games than as its own standalone product. But finding the right group for a story with Wraiths as the PCs (at least, one that lasted longer than two or three sessions) proved an impossible challenge for me.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    I think I've met 10x as many people who own Wraith: the Oblivion as people who've actually played it, and that's taking into account that most players are relying on their ST to have the book.

Don't get me wrong, I dug Wraith, and thought it had a lot of really solid ideas. But it was always so much more useful to me as a supplement for Mage and Vampire games than as its own standalone product. But finding the right group for a story with Wraiths as the PCs (at least, one that lasted longer than two or three sessions) proved an impossible challenge for me.

Wraith is by far the hardest game to play; both from a logistic standpoint (So I'm playing my character with his associated bullshit, AND also someone else's dark reflection with their associated bullshit? And what's this about "a harrowing?") and from a tonal standpoint: it's a game bleaker than Vampire, Werewolf and Mage combined, and it has less options to mood-lightening powergaming. Like, the goal of the game is to sever your emotional connections to the physical world, letting go of your feelings and trying to reach a higher plane of existence, all the while trying to not get sucked down into non-existence in the process.

In full honestly, I find it intensely more fascinating as a fictional setting. I would totally read a book series set in that universe. There's so much cool shit there; interacting with the living, a day-to-day ghost civilization with a enormous bureaucracy, exploring the Tempest (complete with a magic train!), being a doomslayer and fighting lovecraftian monsters.

Shit. Hot.

I knew someone who ran Wraith in Tampa's OWBN chronicle. The 'Weird Shit' ST. He also ran Changeling.

Sure lived up to his name.

wVEsyIc.png
    3rd edition Mage is pretty fucking bleak, I gotta tell ya. It basically takes place post-Ascension, and the "bad guys" won.

Like, coming from the earlier editions, shit just never felt as dark as Revised did to me. Relatively, at least. Obviously yeah Vampire and Werewolf are darker from go.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Is this 3rd Edition Mage in the World of Darkness, or Chronicles of Darkness? I'm ask because both had 2nd Editions, if I recall correctly, so "3d edition Mage" could theoretically be a follow-up to either, and I've been out of the loop on *oD for long enough that I don't know which games are currently in development.

Mage: The Ascension 3rd Edition was oWoD.

Mage: The Awakening 2nd Edition is Chronicles of Darkness.

Ah, OK, I see, "Mage: The Ascension 3rd Edition" is the same as "Mage: The Ascension, Revised Edition" (which is the name I know it by). I somehow missed the word "Revised" in Tox's post.

Yeah, that's the Mage core book I bought way back when. It's shockingly bleak.

The 20th Anniversary edition is metaplot agnostic, so you can dial it from bleak to gonzo at will.

It's also large enough to have its own satellites.

Only the Technocracy chapter.

OptimusZed wrote: »

Only the Technocracy chapter.

I was going to say "But what about the Sons of Ether?"

but then I realized that they would probably call it something like a "Semi-Autonomous TechnoEthereal Lagrangian Levitation and Interplanetary Travel Engine".

I've heard Awakening 2e had some pretty major gameplay revisions too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    When M:tAsc 3e came out, it was enough of a tonal shift that the games in the official chatrooms hosted on White-Wolf.com refused to adopt the setting changes, aside from scavenging rules elements. Just the Avatar Storm would have caused like half the regular players to need a reroll. I know a bunch of the Official Storytellers in the Moderated games kept trying to phase in stuff, but the players were ignoring it in too large of numbers for them to realistically penalize them.

It also sparked a small civil war in their forums, an awful lot of which was focused around whether to actually call it Revised or whether to call it 3rd Edition, because that was such an important hill to die on. People who called it 3rd Edition saying that calling it Revised Edition suggested a greater link to 2nd Edition than it actually had, when it actually seemed like it had been written from beginning to end as a repudiation of 2nd Edition. While people who called it Revised Edition argued (reasonably enough, I can admit in retrospect) that using the term White Wolf was actually using would be better just to avoid confusing new players.

Those were dark days, and the height of my most shameful internet wankery. I had a ludicrous amount of sock puppet accounts registered at one point, probably approaching triple digits, ready to activate a new one every time the old one bit the dust. I thought I was so clever, because I'd make a hotmail account on the demonstration computer every time I'd go to Circuit City or whatever, and register a new Forum name through that... but all my new handles were just The Hanged Man put through shitty late-90's free translation websites. At least half a dozen of them I abandoned without getting them banned, because people who actually knew those languages would approach me and tell me they were nonsense.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan

Oh yes. The magic system is a lot more complex, but stronger in play.

And yet no one told me about it apart from someone who was in my campaign IRL. :P

wVEsyIc.png

And yet no one told me about it apart from someone who was in my campaign IRL. :P

If you don't follow OPP stuff on like, RPG.net or their website, or browse DTRPG regularly, it'd be hard to know new stuff was out. It's the downside to our glorious digital future.

If you don't follow OPP stuff on like, RPG.net or their website, or browse DTRPG regularly, it'd be hard to know new stuff was out. It's the downside to our glorious digital future.

Nah, CF is pretty much my only online tabletop haunt. The opposite end of the spectrum gets a little too overwhelming for my tastes.

wVEsyIc.png

Nah, CF is pretty much my only online tabletop haunt. The opposite end of the spectrum gets a little too overwhelming for my tastes.

Well, Mage: The Awakening 2nd is out. If you are a fan of the original, it's a great update.

Well, Mage: The Awakening 2nd is out. If you are a fan of the original, it's a great update.

I've run at least four campaigns. I'm kind of a fan.

wVEsyIc.png

Then you should totes get the second edition.

Then you should totes get the second edition.

The magic complexity kind of scares me. It took me a while to get the hang of improvisational in Awakening 1E. Ascension terrifies me.

wVEsyIc.png