As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Built in PBEM? This is all i really want.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    so here's the E3 demo showing off a bit of the early game.

https://youtu.be/yKUFvo3_FYQ

and there will be a live stream in a few hours were lead dev Ed Beach goes over it in more detail.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    This is a fairly solid interview with Ed Beach at e3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08stQT9aV_E

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    It looks like one civ video and one mechanic video are going to become a weekly feature.

This week's civ is England:

Like America, England is a cultural civ. But whereas America is designed around turtling, England has unique bonuses that let them control the oceans and invade other continents, allowing for a more aggressive playstyle.

This week's mechanic is builders and tile improvements:

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    This seems worth mentioning. Christopher Tin, the composer for Civ 4's famous main theme (Baba Yetu) has been brought back to compose the theme for Civ 6.
    I have a big announcement to make! I’ve returned to Sid Meier’s Civilization franchise and have written the theme for the latest installment, Civilization VI. :)

The new song is called "Sogno di Volare", which translates in Italian to “The Dream of Flight”. I took snippets of Leonardo da Vinci’s writings on flight and set them to a new hymn evoking the Age of Exploration.

The game itself will not be released until October 21st this year, but I will be conducting a special sneak preview of the theme live in my concert with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in London on July 19th. We'll also be performing many of my other works including: "Baba Yetu", selections from Calling All Dawns, a suite from my upcoming album about birds, and a rare performance of The Drop That Contained the Sea in its entirety!

This London concert will be very special for me, so if you’re in the London area please come and say hi to me at the meet-and-greet after the concert! But, if you can’t make London, we’ll be doing two smaller shows in York and Harrogate earlier that week (but without the premier of the new Civ VI theme).

Donnicton on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Are we going to get mulitiple leaders per Civ again?!

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    That's pretty neat. Baba Yetu might be my all-time favorite title screen theme ever. So good.

• Options
    Are we going to get mulitiple leaders per Civ again?!

Every Civ has four unique bonuses, an Ability, a Leader (usually an extra ability or an extra unit, sometimes both), a Unit, and an Infrastructure (building, tile improvement, or district).

America
    Ability: Founding Fathers (less time between legacy government bonuses)
    Leader: Teddy Roosevelt (national parks generate more tourism + Rough Rider unit)
    Unit: P-51 Mustang
    Infrastructure: Film Studio (replaces radio tower, more tourism)

England
    Ability: British Museum (more artifact slots and more archeologists)
    Leader: Queen Victoria (Redcoat unit)
    Unit: Sea Dog
    Infrastructure: Dockyard (replaces harbor, naval units get unique promotion, more gold and more great admiral points)

Egypt
    Ability: wonders and districts built on river tiles take less production
    Leader: Cleopatra (bonus yields from trade routes to and from other Civs)
    Unit: War Chariot
    Infrastructure: Sphinx (tile improvement that gives culture and faith when built next to wonders)

Japan
    Ability: Meiji Restoration (districts give extra yields when built next to other districts)
    Leader: Hojo Tokimune's Divine Wind (land units are stronger next to sea, naval units are stronger next to land)
    Unit: Samurai
    Infrastructure: Electronics Factory (replaces factory, gives extra production and culture to all surrounding cities)

This has caused speculation that Firaxis might sell "alternate" bonuses as DLC, such as having George Washington as the leader of America, or having Longbowmen as the English unit instead of the Sea Dog.

It has also caused speculation that there might be a "custom civ" feature, where players can build their own fantasy Civ by combining bonuses from historical Civs, such as having America led by Queen Victoria with the War Chariot and the Electronics Factory.

Here are the intro videos for Egypt and Japan, for those who may have missed them:

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    3/4 new leaders for the series, I think? Only Victoria returning.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Cleopatra was in past Civ games.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    what is with this boring lady.

Why not let the VA for Teddy do the vid?

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    This seems worth mentioning. Christopher Tin, the composer for Civ 4's famous main theme (Baba Yetu) has been brought back to compose the theme for Civ 6.
    I have a big announcement to make! I’ve returned to Sid Meier’s Civilization franchise and have written the theme for the latest installment, Civilization VI. :)

The new song is called "Sogno di Volare", which translates in Italian to “The Dream of Flight”. I took snippets of Leonardo da Vinci’s writings on flight and set them to a new hymn evoking the Age of Exploration.

The game itself will not be released until October 21st this year, but I will be conducting a special sneak preview of the theme live in my concert with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in London on July 19th. We'll also be performing many of my other works including: "Baba Yetu", selections from Calling All Dawns, a suite from my upcoming album about birds, and a rare performance of The Drop That Contained the Sea in its entirety!

This London concert will be very special for me, so if you’re in the London area please come and say hi to me at the meet-and-greet after the concert! But, if you can’t make London, we’ll be doing two smaller shows in York and Harrogate earlier that week (but without the premier of the new Civ VI theme).

Holy crap that concert would be amazing. I hope it gets recorded.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Weekly Civilization preview. China, which they already mostly covered initially. Oh well. Needs more Sima Yi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENMzcvQVvzA

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    RebootReboot Registered User regular
    This Qin Shi Huang looks sinister. I'd rather they pick another leader either way.

Copied from Civfanatics:
    • Historical Agenda - Hates people with more Wonders than him
    • Civilization Ability - Dynastic Cycles China gets a larger boost from Eurekas and Inspirations
    • Leader Ability - Builders get one extra use before disappearing, and can use that to help rush Ancient/Classical wonders
    • Unique Unit - Crouching Tiger Cannon - Does not need strategic resources to build
    • Unique Tile Improvement - Great Wall Provides a defensive and Gold bonus, and later Culture and Tourism

The LA fits the civ and continues China's place in Civ V as a more adaptable civ, with advantages that the player can spin to his advantage regardless of his victory goal. (Civ V gave the Chinese the Paper Maker - an early library that also generates 1 gold, which gives the Chinese an early boost in gold that can be spent to rush buildings or units as player require)

The UU suggests that cannons might need strategic resource... I still prefer the attrition-friendly Chu-Ko-Nu in Civ V - and it'll fit Qin Shi Huang better than cannons.

It'll be interesting to see if Great Wall is worth it. On the one hand I can see the strategic benefit of having multiple layers of TGW to slow down invaders. But it also becomes a sink for the new Chinese LA.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I really like the Great Wall change.

I hope that France has a Maginot Line improvement they can build that works similarly, except that it costs twice as much and then massive holes randomly appear where German troops bust out like the Kool-Aid Man.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    So will districts work kind of like how cities work in Endless Legend? Still having a hard time grasping that concept.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Heir wrote: »
    So will districts work kind of like how cities work in Endless Legend? Still having a hard time grasping that concept.

Basically, yeah. You use your city's production to turn a tile into another part of your city.

• Options
    edited July 2016

The way I understand it, you give up a tile to some district type; military, industrial, religious, entertainment, commercial, harbor, etc (no official list yet). That enables you to build all buildings of that type in that district. eg, if you want to build a barracks, you have to specify that a tile is a military district. And then further military things will also go into that military district, like stables, castle, etc. Depending on the buildings and the location, a district might get some extra bonuses. eg, I believe research districts provide extra research if they border on mountains. Once a tile is a district, it can't be anything else; no improvements, etc, and all buildings of that type will be located within it.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It sounds like there will still be city-center improvements, along with district/tile-based improvements. I'm guessing a lot of what used to be City Improvements, including Wonders, will now get shoved out into actual tiles.

• Options
    It sounds like there will still be city-center improvements, along with district/tile-based improvements. I'm guessing a lot of what used to be City Improvements, including Wonders, will now get shoved out into actual tiles.

In some of the vids, it's shown that the city centre will have some buildings (walls, granary, monument), while the districts house others (Science District - Library, University, Lab, etc.) Districts can be targeted by the AI instead of the city core too (e.g. barbarians), so basically city defense will require more strategy from the player.

AFAIK, wonders we've seen so far are all on their own tiles.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

The way I understand it, you give up a tile to some district type; military, industrial, religious, entertainment, commercial, harbor, etc (no official list yet). That enables you to build all buildings of that type in that district. eg, if you want to build a barracks, you have to specify that a tile is a military district. And then further military things will also go into that military district, like stables, castle, etc. Depending on the buildings and the location, a district might get some extra bonuses. eg, I believe research districts provide extra research if they border on mountains. Once a tile is a district, it can't be anything else; no improvements, etc, and all buildings of that type will be located within it.

I enjoyed how Endless Legend managed citizens immensely. You place citizens on the output you want, rather than the tile. The only major weakness Endless Legend had is that it was easy to screw up your city development if you start on the wrong tile.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Any one else want a colony system like they had in Civ 3? Just a way to get those far away reasources with out investing in a full city.

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Any one else want a colony system like they had in Civ 3? Just a way to get those far away reasources with out investing in a full city.

In a sense the new district system accomplishes just that. You have to build the city, sure, but if you're not wanting anything but the local resources you won't need to build districts or invest further.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    But larger city count has carried a penalty due to city spam in previous games. JFP wants the ability to create city-states or outposts.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    But larger city count has carried a penalty due to city spam in previous games. JFP wants the ability to create city-states or outposts.

Happiness is no longer a global mechanic. If you want to settle a city next to that strategic resource in the middle of nowhere, there's very little penalty for doing that.

However, the number of districts a city can have is limited by its population. And a city's max population is limited by both it's available housing and available amenities. So if you settle a city in an inhospitable area, it will always be small and generate very little for empire.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Heffling wrote: »

Happiness is no longer a global mechanic. If you want to settle a city next to that strategic resource in the middle of nowhere, there's very little penalty for doing that.

However, the number of districts a city can have is limited by its population. And a city's max population is limited by both it's available housing and available amenities. So if you settle a city in an inhospitable area, it will always be small and generate very little for empire.

...and?

ICS doesn't care that a given city only provides a little bit of income; it's still better to have hundreds of little garbage cities pumping out income than a couple of gargantuan 'proper' cities.

Personally I've never understood the aversion to ICS, but it will always be a thing unless you actively penalize rampant city settling with, say, an upkeep cost.

EDIT: Holy shit Japan finally gets Nintendo in a Civ game, rather than the game myopically focusing on their pre-industrial stuff and/or the Zero (which was not actually a very good aircraft).

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    After reading up more on the Japanese infrastructure:
    "replaces factory, gives extra production and culture to all surrounding cities"

I think Firaxis should have called it a Kaizen or LEAN factory. If you're looking for something to crystalize the recent influence of Japanese culture power + production power, then there's really nothing more representative than the pursuit of absolute reduction of waste. In the annals of history Japan's electronics dominance is a tiny blip on the radar compared to the impact LEAN (under the branding of Toyota) had on manufacturing all over the world.

Reboot on
  • Options
    CesareB wrote: »

In a sense the new district system accomplishes just that. You have to build the city, sure, but if you're not wanting anything but the local resources you won't need to build districts or invest further.

Very little information on how Civ VI will manage ICS - or even if it does. Civ IV remains the best implementation against ICS thus far - maybe they'll go back to that? Given the seemingly increased number of resources that we see in the playthroughs, they'll need to provide some way for you to build colonies/outposts - or at least make the trading of resources easier.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I never got into Civ V, just couldn't get over some of the changes from IV. Still go back to Beyond the Sword every so often to join a Pitboss or PBEM game, but less and less often. Maybe VI will capture me.

• Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    ...and?

ICS doesn't care that a given city only provides a little bit of income; it's still better to have hundreds of little garbage cities pumping out income than a couple of gargantuan 'proper' cities.

Personally I've never understood the aversion to ICS, but it will always be a thing unless you actively penalize rampant city settling with, say, an upkeep cost.

Well, all buildings still have an upkeep cost, and a city with no commercial hub district likely won't produce as much gold as it uses, especially if it's not near any luxury resources.

So I suppose you could say that cities have a functional upkeep cost, if not a direct one.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I never got into Civ V, just couldn't get over some of the changes from IV. Still go back to Beyond the Sword every so often to join a Pitboss or PBEM game, but less and less often. Maybe VI will capture me.

Same. I tried. I really did. I bought vanilla and then later, the super ultra version on Steam, but I could never get into it and especially a bunch of the interface changes were constant annoyances.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    ICS?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    ICS?

Infinite City Sprawl or something like that - tons of little cities all over.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I don't mind ICS existing as a strategy

I mind when its flat out better than a tall approach. I prefer having 4-5 cities because I appreciate spending time managing them closely. It would be annoying to be pushed into a playstyle I don't appreciate at higher difficulties

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Same. I tried. I really did. I bought vanilla and then later, the super ultra version on Steam, but I could never get into it and especially a bunch of the interface changes were constant annoyances.

Not sure if it would fix your issues, but I cannot recommend the Enhanced UI enough. It makes the UI so much better (and informative), and since it's installed as a DLC not a mod, you can still farm achievements if you want.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Aztecs are up as a pre-order bonus*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw79o14yj6E

*pre-order exclusive for 90 days, then free to all purchasers according to some fine print at the end of the video.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

*pre-order exclusive for 90 days, then free to all purchasers according to some fine print at the end of the video.
    Huh in the screen that displays the "pre-order blabla" it also lists a unique wonder. They don't mention that part in the video, right? I know they described the Great Wall in China's, but it makes me wonder what the other unique wonders are for other civs, or if it doesn't work like that.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

Huh in the screen that displays the "pre-order blabla" it also lists a unique wonder. They don't mention that part in the video, right? I know they described the Great Wall in China's, but it makes me wonder what the other unique wonders are for other civs, or if it doesn't work like that.

The great wall is an improvement now though, not a wonder.

• Options
    Yeah, it sounds like it's a civ-specific tile improvement. Kind of a cool way to implement it, IMHO, rther than making it just another special building/wonder/unit.

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »

There aren't unique wonders. The Huey Teocalli is part of the same pre-order bonus package as the Aztec civilization, but it's not exclusive to their civilization.