As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rimworld] 7 year olds can wield firearms. Biotech released!

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, play ironman and challenging, you'll get the mood spirals and other terrible shit. I had 2 colonists back to back keep going into a berserk rage while they were healing wounds. One is now the proud owner of a peg leg because he just had to attack the badass melee guy with a plasteel gladius.

My colony is barely hanging on right now with the tantrum spirals constantly affecting everyone.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Some images of what happened to my last colony.
    Rose, who you can see in the first image, went a little crazy. She then started setting fires everywhere, which was a problem, since people were wounded from a raid and the entire building is made out of wood. Farmer had gone berserk and was running around punching squirrels. They came back but went into shock from their wounds. Everyone eventually starved to death while unconscious in that last little hut.
    aaAyy5t.jpg
    qtkAMDq.jpg
    In my current game there's one of those ancient evil walls but I'm on permadeath so no save scumming to see what's in it for me. So I am leaving that thing alone for the time being.

SniperGuy on
    Thendash wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    ...deadfall traps can be set off by your own colonists... as mine was, instantly killing the guy who set it up.
    Is that true? I kind of thought that would happen so I put them in choke points but with doors nearby so my colonists could bypass the trap. But then I observed a colonist move over one, so maybe it's only a chance? Is there a way to tell my colonists to not walk on them?

Yes, deadfall traps can be triggered by your colonists passing through them, so never completely seal yourself off with traps like that. You can also trigger them when they are being rearmed for Fun(tm).

That said they are absolutely devastating to raiders if you place them on the outskirts of your colony in spots that are most likely to be travelled by raiders. I honestly have an easier time with dwarf fortress than this game so I dunno if I am just doing it wrong or what, but don't reload if a colonist dies, just let the colony run its course.

• EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • azhaisazhais Registered User regular
    Yeah that was one of the biggest changes for me over Dwarf Fortress, I'm used to filling walking spaces with traps that my dwarves all know about and how to avoid them. Not so here, you end up with people blowing their own limbs off right after setting them up.

Seems like a lot of people do this sort of thing:

YzbOkeH.png

AI takes the easiest path in to your base, rather than trying to bust through two or three doors.

Note that survivors report your defense back, so the AI will learn about the traps eventually and go around.

steam_sig.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I hate it when survivors kidnap members of my tribe during a raid. There's usually a frantic OH NO as I try to chase them down that usually gets more people killed.

Personally I do a death hallway for most raiders, a long skinny hallway that ends so all my turrets can hit anyone who goes into it, usually I put traps scattered about to trigger on raiders running down the hallway, but then I have other turrets in my base in case they probe my base for a weak spot.

edited July 2016
    Sorry for double post but good news everyone! https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/07/alpha14-now-on-unstable-branch/

The version we were playing didn't have a ton of things firing! This should increase the difficulty quite a bit. Heres a list of things we can expect to appear now!
    Infestation
    Manhunter pack
    Psychic ship part crash
    Poison ship part crash
    Animal insanity (single)
    Eclipse
    Solar flare
    Psychic drone
    Toxic fallout
    Volcanic winter
    Heatwave
    Cold snap
    Flashstorm
    Short circuit
    Crop blight
    Alphabeavers
    Psychic soothe
    Refugee chased
    Thrumbo passes

TheKoolEagle on
  • EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I had a manhunter pack of wild boars trigger.

Long story short I now have pigskin parkas for the coming winter.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I really. Really. Really. Need. To find a mod that disables the fuckawful friendly fire.

Because having a chance to hit an ally in the line of fire is way fucking different than friendly shots having a much higher chance to hit allies than the actual fucking target.

Build a line of turrets to fire on the opening to a foreboding structure, then deconstruct the wall. Where do all the bullets go? Yup, right into the spine of the person doing the deconstructing, and the second salvo kills them, laying on the ground, before a bullet even hits any of the four mechanoids coming through the opening. And when the turrets fire at the actual enemies? Not even half will hit. Also had a firing line during a raid; a pirate gets a little too close and a dog, completely fucking ignoring the animal restriction area I set up inside the base, charges out. And instantly blocks every shot going towards the pirate, dying instantly one square one the other side of the sandbag line.

Allies are more vulnerable to each other than enemy shots. This is stupid. I don't even want it turned down, I just want it completely off, I'm that fed up with it.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Thendash wrote: »
    ...deadfall traps can be set off by your own colonists... as mine was, instantly killing the guy who set it up.
    Is that true? I kind of thought that would happen so I put them in choke points but with doors nearby so my colonists could bypass the trap. But then I observed a colonist move over one, so maybe it's only a chance? Is there a way to tell my colonists to not walk on them?

Yes, deadfall traps can be triggered by your colonists passing through them, so never completely seal yourself off with traps like that. You can also trigger them when they are being rearmed for Fun(tm).

That said they are absolutely devastating to raiders if you place them on the outskirts of your colony in spots that are most likely to be travelled by raiders. I honestly have an easier time with dwarf fortress than this game so I dunno if I am just doing it wrong or what, but don't reload if a colonist dies, just let the colony run its course.

Typically in games I only reload if something bad happens because I made a decision based on incomplete knowledge. I.e, I didn't know traps could be set off by your own dudes, and if I had known I wouldn't have put one in the only way in or out of the colony.
    Sorry for double post but good news everyone! https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/07/alpha14-now-on-unstable-branch/

The version we were playing didn't have a ton of things firing! This should increase the difficulty quite a bit. Heres a list of things we can expect to appear now!
    Infestation
    Manhunter pack
    Psychic ship part crash
    Poison ship part crash
    Animal insanity (single)
    Eclipse
    Solar flare
    Psychic drone
    Toxic fallout
    Volcanic winter
    Heatwave
    Cold snap
    Flashstorm
    Short circuit
    Crop blight
    Alphabeavers
    Psychic soothe
    Refugee chased
    Thrumbo passes

I knew something felt off. Guess I'll be restarting on the unstable branch!

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Whoa!

I started on a large map that looked like this:

JeAUZ1K.png

I was like aw man this is really cool, I can tunnel for days, make a huge complex, it's really defensible, not a lot of places where enemies can come from.

I've played for quite a while, as you can see I've walled off the front of my base and got a pretty good setup going, nice big bedrooms on the north part, fridge, storage and workshops to the south.

I finally decided to do some exploratory mining, maybe break in on some pockets of compacted machinery, I'm really needing components at this point. I didn't get too far before this happened:

x0C4SqG.png

A whole new world! :o All kind of opportunities up there. Huge piles of metal that fell with the colonists and never got picked up. Look how close it comes to my bedrooms!

Am I gonna break into more of this on the east side?

Also, it's tempting to reload...with the top half unrevealed, nothing was happening up there, no enemies spawning in or weird events. Now I have to deal with stuff happening up there. I don't think I'll try to go back on this, though, it's nice knowing where the mountain borders are in any case.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Guys I am really bad at this game

hsg4qx1nzf6r.png

Steam: Spawnbroker
    Well you've got your fire stockpile properly set up at least.

The lesson to be learned here is that batteries are the devil. On a nice forested map like that just build a bunch of fueled generators

steam_sig.png
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I really. Really. Really. Need. To find a mod that disables the fuckawful friendly fire.

Because having a chance to hit an ally in the line of fire is way fucking different than friendly shots having a much higher chance to hit allies than the actual fucking target.

Build a line of turrets to fire on the opening to a foreboding structure, then deconstruct the wall. Where do all the bullets go? Yup, right into the spine of the person doing the deconstructing, and the second salvo kills them, laying on the ground, before a bullet even hits any of the four mechanoids coming through the opening. And when the turrets fire at the actual enemies? Not even half will hit. Also had a firing line during a raid; a pirate gets a little too close and a dog, completely fucking ignoring the animal restriction area I set up inside the base, charges out. And instantly blocks every shot going towards the pirate, dying instantly one square one the other side of the sandbag line.

Allies are more vulnerable to each other than enemy shots. This is stupid. I don't even want it turned down, I just want it completely off, I'm that fed up with it.

Set the turrets so they're powered through a switch. Leave the switch off until the wall deconstructor is out of the way, then flip the switch and they all come online.

As for the rest, allies tend to be closing fairly straightfowardly with their target, so not only are they blocking lines of fire but they also aren't trying to evade fire from behind that they can't see. It's annoying, but it's not like it doesn't make sense. It would be ridiculously OP if you could have your melee guys wade into the thick of things to hold the enemy in place while they got shot at without worrying about friendly fire.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Seems they extended the Steam key cutoff date so everyone can get it on Steam if they've bought it previously.
    If you bought before July 17, 2016, you can move your installation to Steam. Get your Steam key here:

http://rimworldgame.com/getmygame

Echo wrote: »
    Seems they extended the Steam key cutoff date so everyone can get it on Steam if they've bought it previously.
    If you bought before July 17, 2016, you can move your installation to Steam. Get your Steam key here:

http://rimworldgame.com/getmygame

I kind of figured this was going to be the case and it was just a technicality that they couldn't tell people ahead of time. I'm just sad at the amount of scam sales going on right now that are costing the devs money.

PSA: Rimworld keys were not sold to any third party resellers, so if you see a key for sale on sites like g2a, it was almost assuredly purchased with a stolen credit card. This may result in your key being locked, and you are costing the developer the full price of the transaction when the actual owner of the card does a chargeback.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Well after a couple false starts I had a decent go.

Until the Beavers came.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Axen wrote: »

Until the Beavers came.

Definitely murder all the beavers very quickly. Its a bonus because then you get their meat and leather too!

Also if you have a small patch of space in your base thats not being used, definitely start a tree growing zone. You don't realize how badly you need wood until its all gone and it takes forever for it to grow.

• NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I need to play this game again. I played long before animals could be tame and the AI was pretty rudimentary. Had a lot of fun. My best colony was overrun by a swarm of angry man-eating squirrels right after surviving two heavy raids from local pirates.

The hero of those raids was recovering in a normal bed in an annex building because of the damage to my complex.

That's when the squirrels came.

Everyone else defended valiantly (fell down and screamed while failing to punch squirrels). The squirrels took their time gnawing through the doors to get to hero's bed but he stood up and ran (hobbled aggressively) outside before they could get to the makeshift hospital bed.

They swarmed the poor bastard before he could get to a new weapon. He fell. The squirrels immediately lost interest and chewed on a battery on the farthest reach of my complex. The battery exploded.

Soooo, he just lay there bleeding and waiting to die. It took forever. The cleansing battery fire reached him shortly after he bled to death.

I fell in love.

Seriously, this game is a gem. It's worth it. The developer has supported it non stop. When he took a "long break" he still dropped a big patch.

A friend bought this game for me but I would not be surprised if I end up buying it again for someone someday to support his endeavor.

Also, I agree. Best organ farm simulator.

Noxy on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Until the Beavers came.

Definitely murder all the beavers very quickly. Its a bonus because then you get their meat and leather too!

Also if you have a small patch of space in your base thats not being used, definitely start a tree growing zone. You don't realize how badly you need wood until its all gone and it takes forever for it to grow.

Oh I tried. That is how I failed so hard.

They murdered everybody!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited July 2016
    Man when the beavers showed up in my current game I didn't even bother them, I sent out a couple guys to chop as much wood as possible, basically fighting them for it. All that wood is still lying where I left it, unused. It's been ages since then, I think I've had two other beaver attacks, just isn't an issue. Not sure what I would need the wood for. Of course I'm doing stonecutting and using marble blocks for a lot of things.

Again this is on the large map pictured above, but in the small space at the south part of the map before I knew about the rest.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    My first go with the latest patch was a solo explorer run. She caught the plague and died 15 minutes after landing on the planet. Turns out you can't use medicine on yourself.

My current tribe run is going much better.

Tulabelle wrote: »
    My first go with the latest patch was a solo explorer run. She caught the plague and died 15 minutes after landing on the planet. Turns out you can't use medicine on yourself.

My current tribe run is going much better.

That sounds like a stroke of bad luck, but yeah starting off with 1 colonist would be tricky, almost guaranteed to die of infection if they get a cut on them.

edited July 2016
    I would like the dev to solve the problem not by the obvious route of allowing self-medication, but by shipping the rich settler with a trained medical monkey.

UncleSporky on
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    All of this scenario business makes it sound like the game did a good job of incorporating a lot of the best mods from the alpha; I think I'm going to give it another spin this evening. I made the mistake of trying some of the delicious alpha mods, which would always get quickly invalidated as new versions were churned out. I think there's been enough time for it to stabilize and give it another shot.

Maybe I'll look into modding again, after all the damn dirt in my colonies I had a brainfart for a craftable Roomba that does nothing but clean.

Maybe I'll look into modding again, after all the damn dirt in my colonies I had a brainfart for a craftable Roomba that does nothing but clean.

Oh man and I'm picturing, sometimes it wanders outside the wiring radius and shuts down due to lack of power, and generates a job for someone to come over and pick it up and put it back in range.

And then of course it would be eligible for malfunction, starts attacking your dogs, or just explodes.

edited July 2016

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3612.0
    Misc. Robots
    *** This needs Miscellaneous CORE to work without errors! ***

This adds some buyable robots:
    Haulingbot
    A small drone to help you hauling stuff around
    Cleaningbot
    A small robot to help keeping your home clean
    Misc. Robots Xtension
    This is a working template which shows how you can add your own robots.
    As it is, you'll get a gardening robot, which can help with cutting trees and the like.
    A detailed tutorial can be found here...

So there's also the solution to the solo rich guy problem! Make a medical bot!

azhais on
    steam_sig.png
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

There's a set of mods that are "Miscellaneous <w/e>", there's Map Generation, Training, Objects, but then there is a Robots one. The bots are not craftable, but Exotic Goods (and a new "Robot") vendors sell them. I was thinking about downloading it and seeing about making a "make these craftable" mod that required the other mod. I dunno.

Tonight I'm going to look at C# modding, because a mod I love (Vein Miner) doesn't work properly in A14 and hasn't been updated in a while.

edited July 2016
    Delmain wrote: »
    Tonight I'm going to look at C# modding, because a mod I love (Vein Miner) doesn't work properly in A14 and hasn't been updated in a while.

Not that I want to infringe on your dreams of learning C#, but there's a new vein miner

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16098.0

azhais on
    steam_sig.png
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    azhais wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »

Not that I want to infringe on your dreams of learning C#, but there's a new vein miner

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16098.0

I wouldn't be learning C#, just Rimworld modding, but yeah, this is better. I can just go back to my game instead. =P

I'm not going to be able to play this again until Thursday and that makes me sad.

I restarted on challenging now that events are working properly, but didn't really have time to do anything interesting. But I am loving that my starting colonist's skills are already making me play completely differently from before. Previously I'd started with a miner so it made sense to dig my base into the side of a hill, but this time around I only have one person who even can mine and his skill is at 2. But I do have an excellent engineer, so it makes a lot more sense to build my own structures outside rather than carving them out. I just have a feeling that all these wooden structures and going to end up catching fire at some point...

I just have a feeling that all these wooden structures and going to end up catching fire at some point...

Here's Cruz, who refuses to be a firefighter, doing some cloudgazing while fire creeps closer to my little village from three sides. Thankfully it started raining.

lcl6wwmq7ng8.jpg

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    A lot of our colonies seem to end in fiery death.

Steam: Spawnbroker
    A lot of our colonies seem to end in fiery death.

Thought I'd try open terrain for once.

No, back to my Mountain Kingdom for the next colony.

• NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Tribe started out well. Raging thrumbo arrived. Limbs were severed. Bodies were thrown. My first building is a makeshift hospital rather than a dorm or workshop. Hell of a start. At least it was not fire.

Fire is the main reason I research stonecutting first and devote all non-food pawn time to stonecutting at the beginning. Stone doesn't burn. Unlike steel.

steam_sig.png
    azhais wrote: »
    Fire is the main reason I research stonecutting first and devote all non-food pawn time to stonecutting at the beginning. Stone doesn't burn. Unlike steel.

Wood is great to get shelter up at first, but should definitely be replaced with stone. Those stone bricks also have 2-3x as much HP when some asshole tries to break a wall.