As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Guide to Monsters: The Fey, and previous The Hydra

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    How long do Hydras live?

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    How long do Hydras live?

This is not a simple question to answer, because frankly we aren't sure. What is generally agreed on is that the larger hydras seem to live longer, due to their longer periods of hibernation, and because they do mate, and we aren't ebing over run with hydra they have to be dying to something out there other than humans. Old age is more likely that something being a predator to hydras.

One way we have been measuring age is watching the lines on them. most types of hydras are born with thing different coloured stripes, for example, the Three headed Fresh water Hydra is primarily black, with some bronze striping typically, as they get older those lines seem to get thicker, where we suspect the oldest one we have on record is entirely bronze. However, it shows no signs of slowing down, and we're pretty sure it isn't a different hydra living in the same lair. If that one suddenly goes missing however, we might have a window of how old they can get.

right now all i can say is 60+ years, discounting human interaction.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Yes but do they dream? Not just in the sleeping sense, but in the aspirational one as well.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Are there more of these threads that I've been missing? This is a great thread

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's been a while since we've had one I think

These are the ones I could find:

Dragons
    General
    Undead
    Sexy Monsters

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Tube wrote: »
    Are there more of these threads that I've been missing? This is a great thread

How to kill some monsters

Pretty much just search Melding's post history.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    It's been a while since we've had one I think

These are the ones I could find:

Dragons
    General
    Undead
    Sexy Monsters

Wait, is that last one a guide for regular people ABOUT sexy monsters, or a guide for people who ARE sexy monsters?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    That one is a guide about monsters that are sexy, mostly as a lure to draw you in so that they can eat you and/or your soul.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    The former

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    The former

Oh...

Has... anyone ever done the latter?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I've done plenty of the latter

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    While the old threads are being brought up, is there anything people want me to go back over, I've been trying to put more effort into a solitary thing more than the earlier ones where i jsut wanted to cover a wide breath of things, and just over time of bullshitting with friends I've actually come up with some good general ideas of how things work.

Or maybe anything i haven't really touched on yet that people are interested in? I really enjoy doing these threads, but they always seem to peter out for one reason or another. I still got a few other hydra ideas to cover but I have no problems pivoting if people want it.

As always feedback is supremely appreciated.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Melding if you wrote like a reference book about monsters I would buy it.

Or oh. You could do a monthly or quarterly news letter thing.

Tallahasseeriel on
    Uriel wrote: »
    Melding if you wrote like a reference book about monsters I would buy it.

Or oh. You could do a monthly or quarterly news letter thing.

I'd back that on Kickstarter/Patreon for sure.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    A quarterly newsletter discussing which monsters to watch out for this season would be delightful

with my current financial state, i'm actually considering it. I need to do some more research for it, and think of a way to not jsut run dry on material in like 2 years.

can't just rob the DnD monster manuals. I mean, i could, but does anyone really want a two page write up on the habits of a jacklewere?

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    with my current financial state, i'm actually considering it. I need to do some more research for it, and think of a way to not jsut run dry on material in like 2 years.

can't just rob the DnD monster manuals. I mean, i could, but does anyone really want a two page write up on the habits of a jacklewere?

I did up a bunch of Jackalweres that were pretty much Warboys from Fury Road, they were great.

Rainfall wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »

I did up a bunch of Jackalweres that were pretty much Warboys from Fury Road, they were great.

that's an interesting idea. personally I am more concerned with meshing them into the modern world. and going over how something like it could work in the real world, while trying not to trample over its origins.

Or, i want to use a dumb thing I like and need to fit it in. Like elves. Couldn't agree on a single type of elves? well all elves are canon then. from the tall to the small. but they're also basically the servant caste of fey and that's why they muck around on earth when here.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    These are good Melding, you should absolutely try to do something further with it

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Seven Headed Freshwater Hydra

Sometimes called the Great River Hydra, the Seven Headed Freshwater Hydra is a rather large hydra that tends to nest in waters with strong currents. Coming in at an average length of roughly twenty meters, they are nothing to scoff at. Tending toward dull colours, they will generally attempt to blend into their surroundings and wait for food to come to them. Whether it is fish in a stream, animals that hunt said fish, it doesn’t really matter as the Great River Hydra is not much of a picky eater. It most commonly ambushes prey by spreading its heads out as far as it can, leaving each one to nab whatever comes by to consume on the spot, and once an area becomes too conspicuous, move to another location. As the name suggests, it maintains a consistent number of heads, doing its best to remain at seven unless gravely injured. As well most of its length resides in the necks, making it look a little weird when travelling on land, but giving is amazing reach in a fight.

By comparison to the previous hydras, the Seven Headed Freshwater Hydra isn’t very remarkable. From most bites, death will result in a few hours, but quick action can save a life with better results than bites from it’s smaller hydra cousins. Pain wise it is commonly described as a mild all consuming burn, putting it about an eight on the pain index. Due to it’s long neck to body ratio, it is one of the few hydras that attempt to constrict with them, each neck roughly strong enough to crush a human rib cage. This is very much something to look out for, if it is dodging a head around you, it might be looking for an opening to crush you. Luckily, they’re a rather lazy hunter, and that is reflected in their fighting styles, they are typically eager to flee when given a chance if they don’t think they’re going to be pursued. However they are both able to emit poisonous and flammable gas, and several heads are typically able to spit out fire. While often a tactic to set up a flee attempt, it will also be used aggressively. It is not entirely easy to determine which it might try, but typically early in a fight it will first be used to flee, and if that fails then it will likely be used offensively. These are not hard and fast rules however.

As always, proper protection is a must for fighting such a creature. Shields are one such item of protection, able to stop a fire breath attack so long as you can withstand the heat. By now you should know antivenom is a must. These hydras have a lot more tools in their bags than most however, so caution is important, what you might think is an opening might be a trap, so bringing something that makes you harder to grapple with is of real benefit, whether it's spiked armour, body grease, a slippery cloak, whatever, just something to get out of the crushing grip of the hydra. In water, fights aren’t as likely to happen with the Seven Headed Freshwater Hydra, as they typically stick to shallows, and when they go to deep water it’s in full retreat and the odds of catching up to it without machine assistance is slim, so bringing only land gear is fine.

Tracking a Great River Hydra isn’t particularly hard, they tend to leave a mess if you can notice it. Piles of half covered random animal skeletons are a common trail, and will often lead right to an active hydra on the hunt. As such there isn’t too much advice to give on tracking one. If they’re not on the hunt their lairs are typically deep in water and hard to find, to date the few that have ever been discovered were deep, cavernous, and had more than a single hydra living in it, so it is not advised to go to their lair, but rather take them out on the land.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Hail Hydra

Xehalus wrote: »
    Hail Hydra

Sadly we have no such thing on record, but we do have

Aurora Tundra Hydra (or the Ra Ra Ra)

Sometimes referred to as the Frigid Hydra, the Aurora Tundra Hydra is a large, primarily terrestrial hydra, sporting an average of six heads on shorter than average necks, replacing each loss with two smaller replacements. Measuring in at an average of thirty meters long, it is a spectacular beast to behold. Preferring to burrow under the thick ice of the frozen poles, they emerge only to feed, where they gorge themselves on whatever animals happen to be in its path. Literally nothing escapes its grasp. Like many arctic animals, it cultivates a thick layer of blubber to insulate itself, using its fire breath to keep warm in a pinch. It’s blunt heads and thick claws are designed for digging, but it is no slouch in the water either, with records of them taking down humpback whales and killer whales. Their thick fats and skins leave them as very durable as well. These beasts are not for the uninitiated.

Luckily, even for their size they are not very venomous, however most bites are strong enough to rend a man in half. If afflicted, death is typically slow, with some having survived an entire day before succumbing. The pain is described as being on par with spending a long weekend with your racially insensitive in-laws, or a six on the pain index. The main point of interest on the Aurora Tundra Hydra is its skin, which operates a bit like a chameleon of sorts, but instead of attempting to mimic its surroundings, its skin is a constant changing tapestry of colour with some mild bioluminescence. It can attack through reflections, appearing as though it is giving off an aurora. It will often use this to lure or dazzle prey while it sets up an ambush or as merely a distraction. Even when not being used in such a manner the process continues giving it a very auspicious appearance, often frightening would-be attackers. They do however seem to have control over this ability, as they have also been seen without it active, appearing only as kind of a dull grey.

Cold weather equipment is typically more important when combating this beast more so than actual defensive equipment, as most mundane means of protection pale in the face of this creature and the frigid environment is dwells in. It does not typically deploy its poisonous gas, as in sub zero temperatures it is prone to freeze, and even if highly flammable, frozen mist is not much a boon. However this is not always the case if you’re pursuing it through its tunnels, as they tend to be slightly warmer and the poison may not freeze instantly. However, this should be avoided at all costs all the same. The hydra knows its tunnels better than you can speculate, and in addition, can sense the vibrations of your movements, so not only does it know where you are, it knows how to get there quickly. This aside, it is a fairly straight forward fighter once engaged, but once wounded it will retreat to its tunnels.

Tracking an Aurora Tundra Hydra is a very dangerous prospect, and though they don’t typically return to their lair outside of resting, they do stick to their tunnels whenever able. As such, if you’re ever in a frozen area and there are a bunch of round dug-out holes in the ice, you are very deep into Tundra hydra territory, and it would be advisable to stop what you are doing to watch for it. Perhaps putting out bait to bring it out to you. Once engaging, attempting to lure it away from its system of tunnels is your best course of action, cutting the entrance off from them in its line of retreat. This will force it into direct conflict and strip it of a very powerful tool. However, this still won’t be an easy fight, it is still a powerful and armoured foe.

Causation and persistence will win the day, just make sure you’re using more than the Aurora Tundra Hydra.

RgfIahu.jpg

So yesterday was kind of a wash for me, but I might have something later tonight depending on things.

Would still like to hear if you want any old topics covered in more depth, I'm sure the like 4 lines used to cover vampires or something could be expanded, bit as with all things in life i need some direction. Or alternive, show me your best dog wearing a hat photo you have found. here is mine.

TL5PmMi.jpg

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Dear Monster Guide,

Did hydras coexist with dinosaurs?

PS What if hydras had feathers?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Dear Monster Guide,

Did hydras coexist with dinosaurs?

PS What if hydras had feathers?

It is expected like a lot of long lived creatures Hydras likely existed along side dinosaurs. To what extent there isn't a lot of evidence, as those hydras are either still alive, no fossils have been found. We know for a fact the World Spanning Hydra certainly did. But, if dragons did, why not the hydra?

As for having feathers, well, that would make them an entirely different category wouldn't it? That certainly would be a sight, but then the winged serpent kind of answers the question of "what would a snake with feathers look like?"

The answer is "kinda of bullshit"

Dear Monster Guide,

How do the lungs on hydras work? Is there a separate gill set for each head, or some sort of veiny organ in the main body to be aware of?

Sincerely,

Terrified Cleric Diver

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited July 2016
    Also; what about a guide to (relatively) civilized monsters?

flayers, atlantians, Martians, fey folk et cetera?

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Dear Monster Guide,

Are there any rules that say a hydra can't play basketball?

b1ehrMM.gif
    Dear Monster Guide,

How do the lungs on hydras work? Is there a separate gill set for each head, or some sort of veiny organ in the main body to be aware of?

Sincerely,

Terrified Cleric Diver

Dear Cleric,

Our studies tend to show that they only really have one circulatory system, though it is also kind of a mix of several. Hydras seem to be big on redundancy, IT departments would love them. Many hydras while possessing lungs typically don't need to use their heads to breath, as their bodies can breath thought he skin or have gils, breathing air through the mouth is more often to pull in nitrogen and such to augment their fire breath and poison gas, in the event they need it in a pinch. Many think that the heavy breathing a hydra does as it gets wounded is gasping for air, when more likely it is trying to re-pressurize glands. So in short, they kind of breath where ever, so it's not worth trying to drown a hydra.

Hope this helps,

D. Melding, Still Staying out of Lake Erie.
    Dear Monster Guide,

Are there any rules that say a hydra can't play basketball?

Well, i suspect there are rules against murdering the other team during a game, so that might do it, but if you can teach a hydra to play basketball instead of kill and eat everything it lays its eyes on, i don't think there is currently a rule against it.
    Also; what about a guide to (relatively) civilized monsters?

flayers, atlantians, Martians, fey folk et cetera?

This isn't a bad idea. I try to stay away from more intelligent creatures, because as far as these guides go it's like nature survival or hunting advice, and trying to five advice to kill a man is, seems wrong? I will definitely make some notes for like "how to survive an encounter with" or like rough culture guides or something though.

• majandermajander Registered User regular
    Dear Monster Guide,

I have been thinking about this far too much now, so may I ask - Will a head regenerate if I crush the skull with a big old hammer? Concerned paladins wish to know...

edited July 2016
    majander wrote: »
    Dear Monster Guide,

I have been thinking about this far too much now, so may I ask - Will a head regenerate if I crush the skull with a big old hammer? Concerned paladins wish to know...

Hail Paladin,

There is a number of factors that need to be considered, though most are concerned around how much of the head you damage. the base line answer is that, yes it will ultimately repair, however, the hydra's healing ability verses its ability to regrow replacements is oddly separately factors. However, if the head is still in an operational capacity, and you've simply rendered it brain dead, it may still yet fight. However, the brain dead head will be clumsy and slow. If the fight is getting too heated the hydra may just rip it off to start regrowing a new one, and throw it at its attackers.

If you manage to do it to enough heads however, they will kind of flop around with when you've lost feeling in a limb, and force the creature to retreat to either repair the heads, or attempt to remove them. This is not a very straight forward tactic, and therefore doesn't get a lot of screen time, but it can be very effective if deployed correctly.

It is also worth noting that if you're just pulverizing the heads, then the mangled remains will be quickly replaced without much waste, so be mindful of how big of a hammer.

Sincerely,

D. Melding, Junior Knight of the White Oak Court.

(every time i do a write off with something like that, my first thought after hitting reply is "Oh god, i hope there isn't some white supremacy group with that name. fuck fuck should i change it? I'll google it. oh wow, these are lovely homes, hm, no 88 stuff that i can see, probably safe. might still change it though.")

Melding on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    NqzfwCH.jpg

Is the Mythical Cerberus related to a hydra or does it lack the ability to regrow heads and heal and thus constitute a separate category of monster?

Dear Monster Guide,

How many hydra heads are too many hydra heads? Can one be eventually rendered immobile under the weight of all those heads?

b1ehrMM.gif
    Uriel wrote: »
    NqzfwCH.jpg

Is the Mythical Cerberus related to a hydra or does it lack the ability to regrow heads and heal and thus constitute a separate category of monster?

Cerberus seems to be a mutant off shoot of the ancient dog, and as such, is in no way related to hydras. It is right now stored under the general tag of "Mythical" in that we can't find any relatives to it, just things that suggest a theme. This suggests an artificial origin, such as a magical lab experiment or a sleepy wizard.
    Dear Monster Guide,

How many hydra heads are too many hydra heads? Can one be eventually rendered immobile under the weight of all those heads?

Hydras seem to have a general knowledge of how many heads are too many. Or at the very least know better than to grow two more heads from a stump that was the second head replacement, so this tactic isn't really one that would work sadly. Luckily this generally means you can expect a hydra to only go up to so many heads and plan accordingly.

Mirage Salamander Hydra

The Mirage Salamander Hydra is a particularly strange beast. Instead of setting up near a source of water, it instead heads out in deserts and badlands and creates its own. This isn’t just to keep itself hydrated, but to also to lure prey to the water. With one of its eight heads, it waits just under the surface to snatch them up and devour them. At an impressive thirty five meters long on average, and with most of that being in the neck and heads, it can easily pull even large game into its jaws and devour them in seconds. Its limbs are small, largely vestigial, seeing them completely above ground is rare, as they tend to move under the sand easier and faster. Its typical attacks are one head at a time with one of its eight heads, so that even if it's meeting a lot of resistance by the time you’ve killed one or two more heads, the first one down has already regrown and the attacks will be endless, wearing down whatever threat is present.

The Mirage Salamander Hydra’s venom is actually fairly weak. Though painful, compared to having been stabbed by a Skrillex song or a seven on the pain index, survived bites are rarely fatal because of it. Usually blood loss is of more concern, even if that is not a threat the venom has only twice been reported as fatal. The real tricky part however, if their napalm like spit. While many hydras can shoot gouts of flame, this is one of the few that can actually spit a burning liquid that will burn for several hours. Though it isn’t quick to deploy this attack, once it does, expect several hundred gallons of burning tar on the battlefield throughout the fight. It is important to know the body of the hydra is under whatever pool of water it has created, and not that deep under, as it is its main source of staying wet. Attacking that directly might be enough to force it above ground, where the fight becomes a bit more direct but no more easy.

Proper protection for this fight means heat and fire resistant gear. Preferably easy to remove as well. The napalm like spite burns at roughly six hundred degrees fahrenheit and puts out a great deal of flames, getting anything covered with it off your body should be a primary concern. Many bring layers of gear, starting at mundane fire fighter gear and then getting into dragon scales, other as well bring high intensity fire breathing dragon blood to give themselves innate resistance to fire and heat. It is important to remember that unless you make a straight attack at its main body the fight will likely end when it just gets too tired and stops. This can be used to your advantage though, it will want several days at the least to regrow full fledged heads, where as you need only wait until you’re feeling up for more of a fight and dive at the body, forcing it to fight with less developed heads making the ground fight far more to your advantage.

Tracking a Mirage Salamander Hydra is, not easy. They don’t move around a whole lot, the best way to find one is to look for an oasis that animals are kind of afraid to go near. If animals avoid a source of fresh water, there is likely something wrong with it, and that something wrong with it could be your hydra. Outside of that it is difficult to tell, they bury any corpses they might leave, and any scorch marks get turned over and destroyed as to make the area look as least threatening as possible. Add to that any oasis might have a hydra under it, and it is currently hibernating and you have yourself a quandary. Live bait is advisable for testing, otherwise, it is very difficult to tell.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I'm guessing it's resistant to the ol' "improvised depth charge" trick?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    How do hydras react to FOOF?

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Even if it did have some sort of beneficial effect, no sane monsterhunter would have anything to do with dioxygen diflouride.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Even if it did have some sort of beneficial effect, no sane monsterhunter would have anything to do with dioxygen diflouride.

I would argue that by their chosen profession monster hunters have already demonstrated they are no strangers to insanity.

i have no idea what any of those posts me. though Dioxygen diflouride seems to be extremely prone to setting fire. so I imagine, they wouldn't be too bothered by it, but something that is set on fire by water, probably is best left at home. away from danger.