As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bad News... in a good way.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I'm on the Mini Takes the States rally right now in and we're in Green Bay!

I saw some kids playing Pokemon Go in the rain on Mackinac Island last night. I don't understand the youth.

Yeah, one electric type shows up and they're toast.

MichaelLC on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    A Vapeoreon spawned in Central Park, but the pokemon trainers were able to stop it before it did any damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoWe5G7wCNA

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Jesus Christ, that's amazing.

Meanwhile, I parked on the side of the road to grab the gym at an American Legion hall nearby. A guy came running out of his house with no shirt on yelling at me.

I didn't take that gym.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Shirtless Guy used Roar!

It's super effective!

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/tlzFovpnrpg

Oh fuck. They can swim.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/tlzFovpnrpg

Oh fuck. They can swim.

Until I clicked play, going by prior comments I thought this was gonna be a video just showing that yes a shirtless guy could swim rofl

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Yeap, glad I actually watched it. Judging by the preview and the comment... well I was not expecting that.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Yeap, glad I actually watched it. Judging by the preview and the comment... well I was not expecting that.

Yeah, that thing took off whole-hog.

jungleroomx on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Yeah, that thing took off whole-hog.
    I thought it was going to be boar-ing. I was pleasantly surprised and my exporktations were subverted.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

"Some fat, rude pig came out of the water and started making a mess, wrecking shit, and picking fights."

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772

"Gotta Catch Em All" does not include cops.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Jesus, if you're going to Poke and go (don't), keep it slow.

emp123 wrote: »

Having tried to poke and go as a passenger, it's just pointless to try. Even at 25 mph you're going too fast to get pokestops or catch anything, and it's certainly not helping with the eggs.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Why aren't the passengers playing the driver's game? And why is he going so fast? They are not doing it right!

Poke and Go while driving used to mean somethings much different

edited July 2016
    Veevee wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »

Having tried to poke and go as a passenger, it's just pointless to try. Even at 25 mph you're going too fast to get pokestops or catch anything, and it's certainly not helping with the eggs.

Lots of roads have speed limits low enough to trigger pokemon but it's mostly for when the car is stopped at the light or a stop sign. A coworker and I caught a good amount of stuff and got a good amount of items sitting in the back seat of a lunch outing yesterday that went through a downtown area with lots of stops.

Though sometimes I'll leave the app running in battery saver mode if I'm driving solo (and hence can't coerce someone in the shotgun seat to handle pokemon duties as stipulated in the social contract) just so I can listen to the sounds indicating where pokemon are spawning and where stops are so I can investigate later on foot.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

It was equally unsafe behavior, though.

What is this I don't even.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

If you caught them all, you were in real trouble.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

If you caught them all, you were in real trouble.

Yeah, but it was dead easy to share your catches.

This seems like a relevant fact for this forum:

Lesson2862.jpg

I see you're at it again. Keep up the good work. You're doing God's work by putting those whipper snappers in their place.

• Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Bad News:
    Leslie Jones has been subject to absolutely vile racist bullshit on twitter for the past couple days.

Gone Right:
    Breitbart's technology editor has been banned for spearheading the harassment.

3449156671_ca72cd1b35_z.jpg?zz=1

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    You might have heard of the guy who sneaked into the Fukushima red zone and took some cool pictures. Turns out he actually 'sneaked' into the accessible green zone, which is open to the public. So... rad[iation] news gone good?

Gvzbgul wrote: »
    You might have heard of the guy who sneaked into the Fukushima red zone and took some cool pictures. Turns out he actually 'sneaked' into the accessible green zone, which is open to the public. So... rad[iation] news gone good?

but did he catch any pokemon

So, apparently limes are dangerous, and there's such a thing as margarita burn.

Did not know that.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Before reading that I assumed it was just going to be acidity, but... wow.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    So, apparently limes are dangerous, and there's such a thing as margarita burn.

Did not know that.

@debaser

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2016
    Huh. Reminds me of another interesting medical fact - the reason alcohol in a wound stings is that it makes the receptors that react to heat hypersensitive, and our own body temperature is enough to make it feel like a burn. So it's not actually the alcohol that stings.

Echo on
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    20070402_gijoeBig.jpg

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2016
    Bad news: as the protected habitats of lions in Botswana shrink, the lions move closer to human settlements and attack cattle, and farmers were hunting lions in return to protect their livestock.

Good news: scientists are painting eyes on cow butts to deter lions, since they're ambush predators and tend to abandon the hunt if they think they've been spotted.

"If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."

9Fz7HlD.jpg

Echo on
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The lions will eventually learn. However, there is a simple solution.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Bad News:
    Leslie Jones has been subject to absolutely vile racist bullshit on twitter for the past couple days.

Gone Right:

I would say of all the things that goose is known for, being Breitbart's technology editor is the least of them.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Bad news: as the protected habitats of lions in Botswana shrink, the lions move closer to human settlements and attack cattle, and farmers were hunting lions in return to protect their livestock.

Good news: scientists are painting eyes on cow butts to deter lions, since they're ambush predators and tend to abandon the hunt if they think they've been spotted.

9Fz7HlD.jpg

...Pretty sure I've fought a few of those before ...
    xoyaww5uk8pu.png

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

9Fz7HlD.jpg

...Pretty sure I've fought a few of those before ...
    xoyaww5uk8pu.png

It's an Ood, from Doctor Who!
    Planet_of_the_Ood.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Bad News:

Gone Right:

I would say of all the things that goose is known for, being Breitbart's technology editor is the least of them.

Yes, but it is his most official position, and the only one that might be negatively impacted by this asshattery

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Bad News:

Gone Right:

Yes, but it is his most official position, and the only one that might be negatively impacted by this asshattery

In general, society tends to identify people by their jobs if they have steady employment. Even if it has no relevance to whatever they're in the news for whether that's a current event or an obituary.

Steam Profile
    Bad News:

Gone Right:

“Some people are going to find this perfectly acceptable,” he said. “Anyone who believes in free speech or is a conservative certainly will not.”

Yes, spewing racist insults at people has long been the most sacred right for conservatives.

Too bad Twitter use aint a right, dumb-ass. You are still free to say that shit on the street corner, as you have always been. But no private company owes you a forum, and if you were as in love with the constitution as you claim, you'd already know that.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Yes, spewing racist insults at people has long been the most sacred right for conservatives.

Too bad Twitter use aint a right, dumb-ass. You are still free to say that shit on the street corner, as you have always been. But no private company owes you a forum, and if you were as in love with the constitution as you claim, you'd already know that.

People like that don't really understand that "free speech" means that the government cannot arrest you for things that you say - with certain restrictions (mainly, threats or any speech designed to incite, like the old "yelling fire in a crowded theater" example, or truly defamatory speech like slander which has very specific definitions and circumstances). Basically it was put in place so that no one could go to jail or be beheaded for saying that they thought that the President was a shithead. This was pretty important to people who were coming from a place where talking ill about the king would get you arrested or beheaded, so much so that they made it number one on the list of rights inherent to every* American citizen.

"Free speech" doesn't mean dick when it comes to the reactions you'll get from private citizens or business owners, which is why you can very easily get banned from Twitter or the Penny-Arcade forums or Youtube or your local ice cream store if you bother the people who are in charge of running any of those places. It's not a violation of Free Speech unless Leslie Jones holds some form of political office and instead of getting banned from Twitter he had gotten thrown in the town stockade.

I think that, for a lot of people, the less they know about the Bill of Rights the more they think they know about the Bill of Rights. It's one of the most incredible pieces of historical writing ever crafted, but it also forms the base that our very country is founded on. If you are an American citizen you should at least have a passing knowledge of it.

Milo Yiannopoulos is Greek though, he's just living in America, so I guess it's doubly important to know what you're talking about if you're claiming a fundamental American right if you're not even American.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

People like that don't really understand that "free speech" means that the government cannot arrest you for things that you say - with certain restrictions (mainly, threats or any speech designed to incite, like the old "yelling fire in a crowded theater" example, or truly defamatory speech like slander which has very specific definitions and circumstances). Basically it was put in place so that no one could go to jail or be beheaded for saying that they thought that the President was a shithead. This was pretty important to people who were coming from a place where talking ill about the king would get you arrested or beheaded, so much so that they made it number one on the list of rights inherent to every* American citizen.

"Free speech" doesn't mean dick when it comes to the reactions you'll get from private citizens or business owners, which is why you can very easily get banned from Twitter or the Penny-Arcade forums or Youtube or your local ice cream store if you bother the people who are in charge of running any of those places. It's not a violation of Free Speech unless Leslie Jones holds some form of political office and instead of getting banned from Twitter he had gotten thrown in the town stockade.

I think that, for a lot of people, the less they know about the Bill of Rights the more they think they know about the Bill of Rights. It's one of the most incredible pieces of historical writing ever crafted, but it also forms the base that our very country is founded on. If you are an American citizen you should at least have a passing knowledge of it.

Milo Yiannopoulos is Greek though, he's just living in America, so I guess it's doubly important to know what you're talking about if you're claiming a fundamental American right if you're not even American.

to put it more simply.

people think freedom of speech means freedom from consequences for what they say, which is decidedly not the case.

I think that, for a lot of people, the less they know about the Bill of Rights the more they think they know about the Bill of Rights.

yo,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

It's not your imagination. It is literally true that the less people know about a thing, the more they imagine themselves to be experts.

This discussion has been closed.