As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[World of Darkness] Red Star shining at WW HQ, heads to roll

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    2nd ed rocks. The only thing I dislike about it is that Wisdom is better but still imperfect. Other than that it's kickin' rad for sure

And a lot of the fans are just as difficult as they used to be! Oh, the joys of arguing with White Wolf/Onyx Path fans!

Solar on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    2nd ed rocks. The only thing I dislike about it is that Wisdom is better but still imperfect. Other than that it's kickin' rad for sure

And a lot of the fans are just as difficult as they used to be! Oh, the joys of arguing with White Wolf/Onyx Path fans!

This is kind of why I shy away from the scene. I prefer cozy ignorance to chaotic knowledge.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I've heard Awakening 2e had some pretty major gameplay revisions too.

Oh yes. The magic system is a lot more complex, but stronger in play.

And yet no one told me about it apart from someone who was in my campaign IRL. :P

If you don't follow OPP stuff on like, RPG.net or their website, or browse DTRPG regularly, it'd be hard to know new stuff was out. It's the downside to our glorious digital future.

Nah, CF is pretty much my only online tabletop haunt. The opposite end of the spectrum gets a little too overwhelming for my tastes.

Well, Mage: The Awakening 2nd is out. If you are a fan of the original, it's a great update.

I've run at least four campaigns. I'm kind of a fan.

Then you should totes get the second edition.

The magic complexity kind of scares me. It took me a while to get the hang of improvisational in Awakening 1E. Ascension terrifies me.

Well, if it's lack of support for improvisation that intimidates, the system is really well thought out as to making new spells. If it's mechanical depth that intimidates, hoo boy, it's probably a notch more complex than Awakening 1E.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I've heard Awakening 2e had some pretty major gameplay revisions too.

Oh yes. The magic system is a lot more complex, but stronger in play.

And yet no one told me about it apart from someone who was in my campaign IRL. :P

If you don't follow OPP stuff on like, RPG.net or their website, or browse DTRPG regularly, it'd be hard to know new stuff was out. It's the downside to our glorious digital future.

Nah, CF is pretty much my only online tabletop haunt. The opposite end of the spectrum gets a little too overwhelming for my tastes.

Well, Mage: The Awakening 2nd is out. If you are a fan of the original, it's a great update.

I've run at least four campaigns. I'm kind of a fan.

Then you should totes get the second edition.

The magic complexity kind of scares me. It took me a while to get the hang of improvisational in Awakening 1E. Ascension terrifies me.

Well, if it's lack of support for improvisation that intimidates, the system is really well thought out as to making new spells. If it's mechanical depth that intimidates, hoo boy, it's probably a notch more complex than Awakening 1E.

Mechanical depth, usually. I also don't really have a scene to test it out with, unless I ran a scenario explicitly for that purpose, but I have a hard enough time keeping a campaign going as it is.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Does the new Chronicles line have a core book like nWoD, or is it just integrated into the various gamebooks like oWoD?

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Does the new Chronicles line have a core book like nWoD, or is it just integrated into the various gamebooks like oWoD?

"Chronicles of Darkness" is the name of the new core book, IIRC.

• Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Both! The Chronicles of Darkness core rulebook has all the rules, but each 2nd edition line (as well as Beast 1st) has the basic rules that game needs included.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Is that just the nWoD core book? Or is there new stuff in it.

I had one of those at one point. I'm not sure where it got off to.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Chronicles of Darkness core rulebook used to be the World of Darkness Second Edition core rulebook, which was originally the God-Machine Chronicle and not a standalone rulebook. The World of Darkness First Edition was updated to second edition by the God-Machine Chronicle before the God-Machine Chronicle became World of Darkness Second Edition which then became the Chronicles of Darkness core rulebook. This World of Darkness has nothing to do with the old World of Darkness, which never got a core rulebook, and nothing to do with the upcoming World of Darkness which will probably get a core rulebook.

• Options
    Chronicles of Darkness core rulebook used to be the World of Darkness Second Edition core rulebook, which was originally the God-Machine Chronicle and not a standalone rulebook. The World of Darkness First Edition was updated to second edition by the God-Machine Chronicle before the God-Machine Chronicle became World of Darkness Second Edition which then became the Chronicles of Darkness core rulebook. This World of Darkness has nothing to do with the old World of Darkness, which never got a core rulebook, and nothing to do with the upcoming World of Darkness which will probably get a core rulebook.

psyduck.gif

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    It's very simple. /sarc

Paradox got the WoD license for WoD, and now the n saaad W saabd o saacd DCofD is diverging more fully from it because Paradox thinks the WoD is just waiting to become the multimedia flagship they always wanted it to be and they don't want the impatient moron executives they'll be pitching it to at random in hallways to get confused after a Google search and then leave. No. Really.

It should be noted that while Paradox doesn't appear to hate OPP/nCofD, they are catering to people who do. So, yeah.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I'm happy that Onyx Path will be able to finish up the 20th anniversary stuff, because the way Paradox talks about how they view the old WoD, and thereby this new product they're developing, seems very focused on a specific interpretation, to the detriment of any other.

Like, it's not full on "There's only one way to play this game" but it is "this is the only way we care to play this game, so that's going to be the way we develop for."

'course I don't play anymore, so I probably wasn't going to buy them anway. (Then again, any new WoD videogames are going to be based on this, so maybe I do have a reason to care)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Did they do a 20th Demon or Orpheus? Besides Wraith that's all I really care about.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Did they do a 20th Demon or Orpheus? Besides Wraith that's all I really care about.

There's an Orpheus section in Wraith 20th.

Hunter, Demon, Mummy and Opheus all came far later in the line, so aren't even due for 20th anniversary editions.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Oh, der. I completely forgot that's what the 20 is for.

• Options
    Wow,if you want some old Vampire PDF's, $15 gets you like 20+
    https://www.humblebundle.com/books/vampire-masquerade-rpg-bundle

Also there's a sale on V20 stuff on DriveThruRPG; you can get pdfs of V20 for 5.99, or V20, V20 Companion, V20 Children of the Revolution, V20 Dread Names, Red List and Dust to Dust for $15
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/featured.php?promotion_id=V20-summer-bundle-2016&affiliate_id=13&src=TheOnyxPath

• Options
    edited July 2016
    IMO, apart from Guide to the Sabbat and Book of Nod, the best stuff is in the $1 tier, unless you love one of those clans. I own three of the clanbooks(Setite, Nosferatu, Malkavian), and their quality is all over the place. Nosferatu's is amazing.

I own the original clanbooks, not the revised ones.

I think the originals have better covers, since they didn't just ape the clan novels.

I own this one:

51EF5KQ4KCL.jpg

First I've heard of a Guide to the Anarchs, though... Wonder if Nines is a real NPC or if Bloodlines came up with him.

If they already have the Book of Nod, they should go the full nine(bdmtsh) and include the Lilith book.''

Heh, they were very clever with the arrangement of those tiers. Basic Camarilla, Advanced Camarilla & Sabbat, Independents.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I'm glad I looked at this thread because I didn't know that Humble Bundle was doing a sale. $15 for every book! YES, PLEASE!

• Options
    I have to admit, that Ravnos prologue is damn tempting...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    They... uh, revealed the last thing in that $15 tier.

I don't even.

Vampires have been associated with sensuality and sexuality since their reinvention at the hands of Polidori. His romanticizing of the concept opened the floodgates - vampires became sensual staples of gothic and Romantic fiction. Vampire: The Masquerade followed the precedent set by other avenues of vampire entertainment. Published in 1991, the game brought a new dose of sensuality to a medium whose previous attention to sex involved circling a gender on a character sheet.

Eternal Hearts is a Vampire erotic novel which features:

Some of the most notable Vampire: The Masquerade signature characters, such as Lucita de Aragón, Victoria Ash, Jan Pieterzoon, Sascha Vykos, and Isabel Giovanni.
    New prose from Bram Stoker Award-winning author Lucy Taylor.
    Illustration by Books of Magic and The Vampire Lestat artist John Bolton.

I can't say I'd want VYKOS in any erotic thing, ever.

Wow, I didn't even make it a paragraph into the preview.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Ha.

Yeah, sure, don't throw in anymore sourcebooks.

• Options
    Honestly feels like a troll move.

revelations+of+the+Dark+Mother.jpg

Naaaah, you don't need that. Have erotica instead!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Wait, they made an erotica for Vampire the Masquerade? That wasn't on the list of things for me to get when I bought the $15 bundle... I'm not sure I want it, but can I get it even after I bought this bundle already?

• Options
    Wait, they made an erotica for Vampire the Masquerade? That wasn't on the list of things for me to get when I bought the $15 bundle... I'm not sure I want it, but can I get it even after I bought this bundle already?

It's already included, they just hadn't revealed all of the items in the bundle yet. (It's a thing they do to attract interest. "All this, plus more to be announced later!"

• Options

Uh... you might want to read the preview. And I'm pretty sure you get it anyway. Lucky you. :P

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    :bigfrown:

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    If I was feeling particularly ghoulish, I'd lift a line from that tripe for the thread title.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I already understand they don't "enjoy" sex, except for Jeanette who can't get enough of it.

• Options
    And every Toreador ever because it's their best weapon.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    OH MY GOD... page 113! OH MY GOD!

• Options
    Do I even want to know?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I think it involves fleshcrafting.

EDIT: And the term "ravaged entryway"

Not used in reference to architecture, mind you.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    A Tzimisce creation I think... I'm not sure.

• Options
    Sounds like Sascha Vykos!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    No, I found Vykos later on. But this is... there are snakes coming out of its downstairs. I wasn't prepared to see that.

• Options
    Jesus. I hope that's not a Hesha Ruhadze thing.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    On a... uh, less nightmarish note, do you have any thoughts on the clan books? Like which are worthwhile and which aren't? It's really hit and miss.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I've only started reading the Malk book, which is pretty interesting. Haven't gotten to the other books yet (the only Vampire oWoD book I've ever owned was the core book, so all of these are new to me).

• Options
    There's a running gag in the clan books, see if you can catch it.
    Rasputin's in every clan.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Also, that erotica book is a poor scan. Pages aren't straight but instead have this tilt to them that if off putting a bit. And it's a bit dull in color contract.