As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat]to[chat]

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I have decided what pc parts I want

I think I can reasonably save for them in like three months

I am excited about getting them and deus ex and just not seeing the outside world for days at a time

oh god I forgot about deus ex

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Six wrote: »
    I can't wait to read the inside baseball book about the Trump campaign.

if a camera crew is documenting it like Romney it's gonna be cray

Nah, Trump's going to make them sign confidentiality agreements.

if he loses he'll want to sell it himself he's Donald Trump

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    MittRomney_NoApology_Cover_lowres.jpg

I own this.

You own Mitt Romney?

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    @DEEBASER
    http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/07/burned-by-a-margarita/492149/
    Yep, margarita burn. As Justin soon learned, the juice and oil of limes contain chemicals called photosensitizers, which make human skin extra-sensitive to sunlight. When an affected spot is overexposed, it burns.

As someone who has gotten ouchie "burns" from prepping jalepenos, I sympathize. Those actual burns look painful as fuck. It's beyond fucked that the dude had zero shade.

However, as someone who enjoys making food and drink for other people WASH YOUR GODDAMN HANDS. don't rinse, wwwwwaaaaaassssssshhhhhhh

Do not go peepee right after making salsa. I use jalapeño and habanero and cerrano peppers usually.

Do not go peepee right after making salsa. Also then don't inexplicably rub your eyes either.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Does anyone actually read those political books that are written as like, a design document for a presidential run? They always look dreadful.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    "Lock her up" is about as productive and upbeat a campaign rally cheer as you'd expect from this year's funeral of an RNC.

Donkey Kong on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    heathcliff....it's me...i'm cathy..i've come home and i'm so cold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6JO1iHmTBk

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Does anyone actually read those political books that are written as like, a design document for a presidential run? They always look dreadful.

Basically they're a way of laundering money because the campaigns buy tons of them then re-gift them to donors. So they get royalties and massively inflated sales numbers.

Basically they're a way of laundering money because the campaigns buy tons of them then re-gift them to donors. So they get royalties and massively inflated sales numbers.

Ok yes now they make sense.

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    some dumbass threw a fake bomb into a police van last night and has been in a standoff with police near my office so i got in and was unable to get to central park for my run....so i decided to move my afternoon sauna to the morning and do the run later...NOPE..sauna isn't hot enough

FAAAAAACK THIS GUY

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    "Lock her up" is about as productive and upbeat a campaign rally cheer as you'd expect from this year funeral of an RNC.

Between chants to throw their opposition in prison, Trump floating the idea of making it so that he can oust all of Obama's appointees once he takes office, and the extreme "cult of personality" means in which Trump is intentionally conducting himself on this run... I am finding it harder and harder to believe any sane republican is unaware of exactly how fascist this shit show has gotten, and the fact that they are still willing to vote for it is diminishing my respect for a lot of people. Drastically.

I could understand voting for McCain. Romney. Bush (either of them... well, 1st term W at least). Even if I disagreed with their platform they were reasonably accomplished people who understood the game. Voting for Trump because "fuck hillary" or "im a republican" is just an expression of triablism so strong that it is willing to let the world burn to score a hollow "victory".

I know they say "the most significant election in our lifetime" every time, but this time it feels kind of true, and I hope we are willing to reset the stakes and do a reboot on that narrative next cycle.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

The Romney book opens with him standing around in line at Walmart. Very relatable, much hoi polloi. Then, what does he think about? He thinks about the Waltons and how their enterprise and grit made all of this possible.

Even when he is conspicuously out among the folk, Romney cannot help but think about how great rich people are.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    BEAST! wrote: »
    heathcliff....it's me...i'm cathy..i've come home and i'm so cold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6JO1iHmTBk

silly dance or I feed

tbf, I remember that plenty of people in the bay area thought George W. belonged in prison

Yeah, Trump's campaign and the RNC have both been uncomfortably fascist in a way that I've been reluctant to call out before now. Fascism is not a word that I like to throw around lightly because it's something that's still scary and real and I don't want to cry wolf on this.

But fucking seriously, the rally cry is to literally arrest their political opponent and put her in prison. The campaign is all about vague greatness and nationalism and using immigrants as scapegoats. This is actually, genuinely scary.

tbf, I remember that plenty of people in the bay area thought George W. belonged in prison

Sure, for misleading the American public and starting a war. But that's not actually a real crime. There's nothing to charge him with. And those people didn't comprise the crowd at the DNC.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Old Dragon Ball-fights were a lot more fun. And sometimes kind of better animated.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Still a far cry from actual fascism but anyways

I like trumps' "we ain't gonna protect NATO countries that aren't pulling their weight"

it seems like a good idea, foreign policy wide

although, perhaps, there's little to lose because trump getting elected would already be like the worst foreign relations move I can think of

ftOqU21.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    "Lock her up" is about as productive and upbeat a campaign rally cheer as you'd expect from this year funeral of an RNC.

Between chants to throw their opposition in prison, Trump floating the idea of making it so that he can oust all of Obama's appointees once he takes office, and the extreme "cult of personality" means in which Trump is intentionally conducting himself on this run... I am finding it harder and harder to believe any sane republican is unaware of exactly how fascist this shit show has gotten, and the fact that they are still willing to vote for it is diminishing my respect for a lot of people. Drastically.

I could understand voting for McCain. Romney. Bush (either of them... well, 1st term W at least). Even if I disagreed with their platform they were reasonably accomplished people who understood the game. Voting for Trump because "fuck hillary" or "im a republican" is just an expression of triablism so strong that it is willing to let the world burn to score a hollow "victory".

I know they say "the most significant election in our lifetime" every time, but this time it feels kind of true, and I hope we are willing to reset the stakes and do a reboot on that narrative next cycle.

Yup. McCain or Romney as president would have made me unhappy but it'd be absurd to think that would be the sign post future historians would use for the death of US democracy. With Trump it doesn't seem that absurd.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    the world getting hit with a wave of "americans are fucking morons" completely eclipsing the one that Bush caused

ftOqU21.png

Sure, for misleading the American public and starting a war. But that's not actually a real crime. There's nothing to charge him with. And those people didn't comprise the crowd at the DNC.

wanting someone to go to prison for something that is not a crime is worse than something that is, no?

ftOqU21.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Yeah, they were a minority, and not a chant at the prom night of the whole party.

I do not recall John Kerry or Barack Obama in 2004 running a mock trial charging Bush with crimes to a crowd chanting that W should be locked up.

The tone is very different here, and the people espousing it far more powerful.

Also, a lot of the people who want Bush arrested are international, and they are seeking charges for war crimes. Obama explicitly asked for that rhetoric to die down and stated that he would not pursue that road because of the damage it would do tot he trust of the American people.

But yeah, both sides are the same.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...

I'm pretty sure there were real crimes they could have charged him with—ordering people tortured, for one, which is and always was against the law—not that such a prosecution would ever happen, for reasons both good and bad.

Though of course I'll grant that my memory of leftwing social circles from 8-12 years ago is a pretty limited barometer for the country.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It is much more that it is practically a plank of the Republican party by this point given that speakers on stage at the RNC have said it and Trump and his campaign continue to say it.

syndalis wrote: »

Yeah, they were a minority, and not a chant at the prom night of the whole party.

I do not recall John Kerry or Barack Obama in 2004 running a mock trial charging Bush with crimes to a crowd chanting that W should be locked up.

The tone is very different here, and the people espousing it far more powerful.

Also, a lot of the people who want Bush arrested are international, and they are seeking charges for war crimes. Obama explicitly asked for that rhetoric to die down and stated that he would not pursue that road because of the damage it would do tot he trust of the American people.

But yeah, both sides are the same.

I don't believe that I said they were.

Laura Ingraham had trouble finishing her speech because the crowd kept interrupting with jeers for Hillary and calls to lock her up. At one point she had to stop her speech and try to appease the crowd, kind of laughing nervously:

Ingraham: "ahaha 'lock her up' I love that"
    Crowd: "LOCK HER UUUUP" "lockerup" "lokerip"
    Ingraham: "hoo- anyway that man is..."
    Crowd: "lick-a-raaaaaap"
    Ingraham: "ok settle down"

edited July 2016
    could we do a trial against bush that just saved everyone a lot of time by going for the charge "being a real cunt to another country with no good reason"

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I wouldn't call him a fascist, and there are many things that separate this phenomenon from the great fascist revolutions in our history. The most striking one is age; fascist movements have universally involved some pretty extensive idolization of youth, and made good use of it, noticeably absent in this gray movement.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOwFRD7Wzyo

The part with the guard in the bathroom.

Elki wrote: »
    I wouldn't call him a fascist, and there are many things that separate this phenomenon from the great fascist revolutions in our history. The most striking one is age; fascist movements have universally involved some pretty extensive idolization of youth, and made good use of it, noticeably absent in this gray movement.

they also commonly involve fascist policy

ftOqU21.png
    edited July 2016

That's true and probably the only thing that makes it less scary. If Trump were to win and start ousting Obama appointees and enacting things like his ban on Muslims, there wouldn't be a large number of young, extralegal idolaters going around violently stomping his opposition for speaking out. It's a key missing ingredient.

Donkey Kong on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Trumps definitely danced over that line a few times but halfheartedly.

Like the idea of forced registration of Muslims is 100% a fascist idea

edited July 2016
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Trumps definitely danced over that line a few times but halfheartedly.

Like the idea of forced registration of Muslims is 100% a fascist idea

No, not really. That kind of thing happens in a lot of ideologies.

Fascism does not mean simply authoritarianism and/or racism. It has a meaning.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

That's true and probably the only thing that makes it less scary.

Give it time. The so-called Alt Right isn't going away any time soon. Their youth outreach is as effective as the left's, and their message is seductive.

edited July 2016
    I'll call trump a fascist when he calls for the dissolution of democracy. In the mean time, I feel "cunt" is a very apt and accurate moniker.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png

The most salient difference, imo, is that Hitler and Mussolini rose to power against weak central governments and on the back of militias with enormous membership which had seized a degree of police power away from the state even before their leaders formally assumed control. The day the government cannot control the streets, and instead Trumpers openly patrol in bands with shotguns and publically beat or kill whatever unionists they stumble upon will be the day I think that a fascist revolution patterned on the ones in history is currently underway.

• A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Good morning, [chat].

*stares into the abyss*

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
This discussion has been closed.