As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Friday, July 22, 2016 - Maki Naro Guest Comic

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2016 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Friday, July 22, 2016 - Maki Naro Guest Comic

Maki Naro Guest Comic

Maki Naro Guest Comic

http://campcomic.com/comic/337

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• motorfireboxmotorfirebox Registered User regular
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• kram1032kram1032 Registered User regular
    Lol! - Though I gotta say, that last panel, if not in action, at least in dialogue, seems very unlike Seventeen.

• erwoserwos Registered User regular
    Wow, I'm never going to be able to unsee that second to last panel.

I had never considered Seventeen as a Katie Rice stand-in before, but it's kinda making sense to me now.

• BytEfLUShBytEfLUSh Registered User regular
    @ERWOS

Google "deep dream" :)

• mathsgeekmathsgeek Registered User regular
    so this is a bit of a terrifying nightmare of a comic. I like it.

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    erwos wrote: »
    Wow, I'm never going to be able to unsee that second to last panel.

I had never considered Seventeen as a Katie Rice stand-in before, but it's kinda making sense to me now.

It's true. She hates dogs so much she turned mine into a cat.

Though Maki Nero's flesh beard weirds me out more than the deep dream image.

• Pier777Pier777 Registered User new member
    briguy wrote: »
    Though Maki Nero's flesh beard weirds me out more than the deep dream image.

Yes. WTF IS WITH THAT FLESH BEARD!? I couldn't focus on anything else in the comic, I keep on having some sort of visceral reaction every time I see it. But... what is it? Tumors? Polyps? Little budding... buds? It can't actually BE a beard, right? I mean, he has a normal looking mustache...

• cwbuechelercwbuecheler Providence, RIRegistered User regular
    Panel 4 -- his tongue is the same color as the background, making it look like there is a hole all the way from his mouth, through the back of his head, and through one shoulder. Now that I noticed it, I can't un-see it.

• SanderloSanderlo Registered User regular
    That was pretty rude, guest-Seventeen.

• Mr FishMr Fish Registered User regular
    what in the hell are those weird growths on that kid's face? I thought the comic was going to be about it, but neither of them ever mentioned it. Is Maki's character part.... jellyfish or something?

• GedGed Registered User regular
    Maki Naro: Son of Cthulhu

• hajenhajen Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    'shrooms, they must be especially psychoactive today

p.s. I bet there's a pineapple in there too.

hajen on
  • Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    Motorfirebox: Concur. Several times over.

• gaspara112gaspara112 Registered User new member
    I think the dialog actually perfectly fits if it was Malachi in place of Seventeen.
    The cutting him off as he explains the goggles, the realizing and calling him out on the dogs and the "back to the drawing board" while carelessly tossing them over the shoulder thus breaking them are all Malachi things.

Also flesh beard is distracting.

• FellowFellow Registered User regular
    I think.. I think his face is something he pulled over his head.

• SargeSarge Registered User regular
    Drugs are bad, m'kay?

• matraiamatraia Registered User new member
    Am I the only one to catch the Twilight Zone reference? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAxARJyaTEA

• jerodastjerodast Registered User regular
    @Matraia THANK you, I was trying to figure out what that time bit was all about! Great clip too.

So...am I to understand or not that there is a cat in this comic? Please tell me it's not in the deep dream panel haha.

• MartynMartyn Registered User regular
    I think the character is supposed to look something like the artist's self-portrait: https://medium.com/@sciencecomic

@Matraia

Although I love that episode of the Twilight Zone, I don't think the last panel is a reference to that clip you posted. Sometimes glasses breaking on the ground are just glasses breaking on the ground.

@GASPARA112
    You have a good point! the strip does sort of read like it would fit Malachai really well. Though it plays to Seventeen's whimsy and curiosity as well, so I'm cool with it being either of them on this strip to be honest.

• Whisper-shoutsWhisper-shouts Registered User new member
    edited July 2016

Except for the fourth panel where he says "There's time now."

Whisper-shouts on
    @Whisper-Shouts

You know, I think I completely glazed over that part when I first read it. You guys are right, it's likely a reference to Twilight Zone, my bad.

• JermsJerms Registered User regular
    Holy balls, Maki! What the sweet, 6-pound baby Jesus happened to your beard? :D

• KantokenKantoken Registered User new member
    What the hell happened to his face? Is he the spawn of Cthulu? ...wait, is that other kid supposed to be Seventeen? Wow Maki, you've got a looooooong way to go.

• KatieJRiceKatieJRice Registered User regular
    Kantoken wrote: »
    What the hell happened to his face? Is he the spawn of Cthulu? ...wait, is that other kid supposed to be Seventeen? Wow Maki, you've got a looooooong way to go.

I'm a huge fan of Maki's art. If he has a long way to go, we're all in trouble.

• CaffinatedCaffinated Registered User regular
    Seventeen would never do this. It's completely out of character for her. Also, I have to agree that science guy's face doesn't make any sense. I don't understand if it's supposed to be some deformity, a crazy beard, or what. The rest of the art is great though.

• metfanscmetfansc Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Should have just done the same thing but with Malachi instead of 17 and it would have worked. Not sure what the beard thing is either, but still a good joke.

PS. Never saw that Twilight Zone scene before, but I agree this seems to be making a reference to it.

metfansc on
  • briguybriguy Registered User regular
    It's a funny guest comic that isn't part of the continuity.
    I'm actually really sorry I even mentioned the beard now. I enjoyed it, I was just making reference to the freaky nature of the comic.
    I can't wait to see the responses to other guest comics that went out to Kickstarter backers. I know there's one that is really cool, but oh boy is it freaky.

• SidlonSidlon Registered User new member
    For more of that second-to-last panel, google DeepDream.

• Jack Is DeadJack Is Dead Registered User regular
    So repulsed by whatever the hell that is on his face. Also, the guy who said 17 acted like Malachi, agreed.