Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Rimworld] It turns out Vegetable Garden isn't a prisoner enhancement mod.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Thanks to the wiki I learned how to make a freezer for my food stuff. I honestly would never have thought to do that.

Axen on
  • EchoEcho mod Moderator mod
    edited July 2016
    Huh, first time I've had this problem: I have too much food.

I have like 10k veggies in storage, and god knows how much left sitting next to the fields because there's no more room in storage.

Should sell a bunch to the next trader.

Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
    DelmainEvmaAlsar
  • azhaisazhais regular Registered User regular
    Huh, first time I've had this problem: I have too much food.

I have like 10k veggies in storage, and god knows how much left sitting next to the fields because there's no more room in storage.

Should sell a bunch to the next trader.

That's my primary money making strategy. Corn. So much corn. Doesn't sell for a ton per unit, but you get SO MUCH.

steam_sig.png
  • DelmainDelmain regular Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm using the Vegetable Garden mod, and the primary source of money for me is making chocolate and selling it to traders.

syndalis wrote: »
    Apple is a terrible company.
    Elvenshae
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    A giant spider nest emerged in my AC hallway in my mountain lair, burst through the AC and proceeded to murder or infect everyone so much they all eventually died.

Great.

Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
    BasilTheKoolEagleKonphujunEvil Multifariousoverride367Fonjo
    Delmain wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm using the Vegetable Garden mod, and the primary source of money for me is making chocolate and selling it to traders.

I've sold like 3000 of the best meals thanks to my vast tofu farm. I'm sure there are way better ways to handle this, but it amuses me that my colony is exporting a vegan agenda to the universe

steam_sig.png
    TheKoolEagleDelmainMr RayFonjo
  • ThendashThendash regular Registered User regular
    Are there any floors that are prettier than just smoothed stone? Gold floors I'd assume, but other then that it seems everything is 2 beauty where as smooth stone is 3.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky regular Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    In an underground base, is it fine to just carve 2 tiles into any rock wall underground and put an AC unit in with the heat going into the one tile pocket? Does that actually work?
    Thendash wrote: »
    Are there any floors that are prettier than just smoothed stone? Gold floors I'd assume, but other then that it seems everything is 2 beauty where as smooth stone is 3.

I think the main thing is that smooth stone takes a lot longer than installing normal floors, and of course is also only usable in mountain bases which not everyone has. Not sure why it's so pretty though, it would look like the equivalent of concrete or something, unless polished/engraved.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    TheKoolEagle
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle regular Registered User regular
    In an underground base, is it fine to just carve 2 tiles into any rock wall underground and put an AC unit in with the heat going into the one tile pocket? Does that actually work?
    Thendash wrote: »

I think the main thing is that smooth stone takes a lot longer than installing normal floors, and of course is also only usable in mountain bases which not everyone has. Not sure why it's so pretty though, it would look like the equivalent of concrete or something, unless polished/engraved.

your best plan of action is to route the heat into your prisoner's cellblock. Slowly cooking them alive should help convince them to join your cause or become tasty barbeque.
    they don't like this but it is a hilarious way to execute prisoners if it gets hot enough

I also enjoy digging up dead raiders when the food situation is dire and have ourselves a little feast. the negative modifier isn't so bad.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    Basilf3rretKristmas Kthulhu

I'm pretty sure that it'll heat up to the point of setting the cooler on fire, at some point.

Or at least it should.

It just heats up a bit then stops working entirely, at least in the few times I've tried it. You need a big enough area to act as a heatsink basically

steam_sig.png
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker regular Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure that it'll heat up to the point of setting the cooler on fire, at some point.

Or at least it should.

Last time I played this, I ended up spending way too much time setting up a ventilation system for my refrigerator and an AC unit in each of my colonist's rooms that fed to the outside.

Battle.net: Spawnbroker#1471
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    Final Fantasy XIV: Spawn Broken
    I just vent all my colonists rooms into the main hallway, then AC cool that. It's always worked very well for me.

BasilFonjo
    Pre-Steam there was this mod I used that let you build pipes to shuffle hot/cold air around.

Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
    Had my first colonist of my new colony die this morning. I've started to name colonists after people in this thread, and thought, even though I have a ton of potatoes and corn, I should murder the 2 ostriches hanging out in my base! Of course the first shot I do on them, they immediately aggress and peck to death the poor colonist I named after myself.

RIP Keagle, you weren't really needed because everyone else did things better, but it was always nice having you around to haul shit.

TulabelleElvenshaeEvmaAlsarKristmas Kthulhu
    Pre-Steam there was this mod I used that let you build pipes to shuffle hot/cold air around.

Yep, hasn't been updated officially since A12 I think. Someone had it working in A13, but it was a hack, and now it's completely broken

edited July 2016

Yep, hasn't been updated officially since A12 I think. Someone had it working in A13, but it was a hack, and now it's completely broken

Counterpoint, it has been updated for A14

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=21770.0

e: how about I link the mod instead of the releases forum ><

azhais on
    steam_sig.png
    TheKoolEagle
    yay!

looks like I'll be starting yet another A14 world so I can install that.

Look, I'm just saying that killing the prisoner that refuses to join us by pumping superheated air into his cell won't give us as much negative mood modifiers as executing him would.

TheKoolEagleBasilElvenshaeFonjoMudzgut
    Wouldn't it just be easier to forbid his door?

steam_sig.png
  • EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar regular Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I'm not the only person who examines a person's stats before considering rescuing/capturing them from their crashed escape pod, right?

I'm not the only person who sees their age and thinks "eh, you'll be dead soon, anyway" and leaves them to bleed/starve to death, right?

...right?

well, I always rescue escape pod people. I just check their stats before capturing them. Spending a few hours patching them up and sending them on their way is no hardship for me

steam_sig.png
    Delmain
    Oh grod, I only have one person capable of hauling in this game.

Oh well, guess we'll get more recruits soon enough.

A thought occurred to me to designate a stockpile zone for human non-colonist corpses in the animal area for my colony when I looked at the diet for pigs and it mentioned 'corpses'.

TheKoolEaglef3rretrockrngerTheColonelKristmas KthulhuMudzgut

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725971541

steam_sig.png
    azhais wrote: »

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725971541

Well that's just cheating.

Takel
    I seem to be running a goddamn art commune.

I have four people with 12+ in Art. Guess I know what I'm gonna be exporting.

Bricks, I assume, since they're worth more than the art

steam_sig.png
    DelmainEvmaAlsar
  • TakelTakel regular Registered User regular
    After a lot of trial and error, I've finally got a decent foothold in my current colony.

Two big things that I made changes to which I feel helped the most:

I used my freezer's cooler as a heater. My map is a boreal forest in a mountainous region, so the average temperatures are quite low. Summer peaks in the low 20s and Spring/Fall I'll be seeing temperatures around the zero mark. So, instead of using more heaters which consume precious components and energy which then uses more components, I just used the primary cooler as a huge heater and used another cooler to keep the temperatures not uncomfortable during summer. Part of that, I was also super conservative on spending components. I used fuel generators as my power source, staying away from solar which requires batteries which uses more components. I had the one generator powering my entire colony before hydroponics. Even with -18C temperatures I had enough heat with 2 heaters and torches in every bedroom while employing the "cooler" to keep the rest of the living areas warm.

I got super aggressive on stocking up on food. Hunted a fair bit, and if a critter got killed, I nabbed that corpse to butcher for more food. I went into Winter with a few hundred meats plus a decent stockpile of potatoes so even though I kept indoors for the most part (due to a Toxic Fallout that lasted almost the entirety of Winter) I wasn't in any real danger of running out of food before I got hydroponics up and running.

So now, I've hit the second Summer (which marks 1 year since starting the colony) and I'm working on building the new dormitories, expanding research and crafting/production and stocking up on wood for the next Winter. I'm going to have to get Geothermal power up to take the pressure off fuelling three generators. I still don't have a high-tech research bench because I don't have the space for it just yet.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I seem to be running a goddamn art commune.

I have four people with 12+ in Art. Guess I know what I'm gonna be exporting.

...black market organs?

They're worth a lot.

ElvenshaeBasilKristmas Kthulhu
    My fortress burned down again, but this time the guy whose leg had been torn off by a grenade died in the room of heatstroke before the fire got em. I checked. Got over 1200 degrees F in there. Yikes.

Basil
  • Mr RayMr Ray regular Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    After a lot of trial and error, I've finally got a decent foothold in my current colony.

Two big things that I made changes to which I feel helped the most:

I used my freezer's cooler as a heater. My map is a boreal forest in a mountainous region, so the average temperatures are quite low. Summer peaks in the low 20s and Spring/Fall I'll be seeing temperatures around the zero mark. So, instead of using more heaters which consume precious components and energy which then uses more components, I just used the primary cooler as a huge heater and used another cooler to keep the temperatures not uncomfortable during summer. Part of that, I was also super conservative on spending components. I used fuel generators as my power source, staying away from solar which requires batteries which uses more components. I had the one generator powering my entire colony before hydroponics. Even with -18C temperatures I had enough heat with 2 heaters and torches in every bedroom while employing the "cooler" to keep the rest of the living areas warm.

I got super aggressive on stocking up on food. Hunted a fair bit, and if a critter got killed, I nabbed that corpse to butcher for more food. I went into Winter with a few hundred meats plus a decent stockpile of potatoes so even though I kept indoors for the most part (due to a Toxic Fallout that lasted almost the entirety of Winter) I wasn't in any real danger of running out of food before I got hydroponics up and running.

So now, I've hit the second Summer (which marks 1 year since starting the colony) and I'm working on building the new dormitories, expanding research and crafting/production and stocking up on wood for the next Winter. I'm going to have to get Geothermal power up to take the pressure off fuelling three generators. I still don't have a high-tech research bench because I don't have the space for it just yet.

I'm thinking I should have done likewise. I didn't want to go with a fueled generator because I was worried it wouldn't be sustainable long-term, but I embarked in a frigging forest and have over 1000 wood stockpiled so its not like I'm going to run out of trees any time soon. Instead I built a wind generator and a solar panel and didn't have enough components leftover to make any batteries.

Space.

...really?

I have a bunch of small wood statues worth 5-600 spacebucks now.

Rimworld Thread colony isn't doing super great. I just had a few back to back raids, currently everyone is bleeding and I have 1 medicine left, although all my herbal medicine probably could be harvested at this point.

I also lost @Delmain to a rogue cougar attack. That one sucked because he was my best gunner.

...really?

I have a bunch of small wood statues worth 5-600 spacebucks now.

Last time I spreadsheeted it, which was like A11 so who knows, anything less than superior ended up worth less than the components with a ~15 social seller. I still made the art since you can only sell ingredients to bulk traders and they exist solely to rid me of my corn stockpiles, so I needed the art to sell to the exotic merchants.

steam_sig.png
    Rimworld Thread colony isn't doing super great. I just had a few back to back raids, currently everyone is bleeding and I have 1 medicine left, although all my herbal medicine probably could be harvested at this point.

I also lost @Delmain to a rogue cougar attack. That one sucked because he was my best gunner.

If he was such a great gunner he wouldn't have gotten murdered by a big cat.

HappylilElfKristmas Kthulhu
    You shut your mouth.

HappylilElfEvmaAlsar
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »

If he was such a great gunner he wouldn't have gotten murdered by a big cat.

He was picking up some cargo pod stuff, and had a rifle, so the cougar snuck up on him and he couldn't shoot it. RIP Delmain, don't worry though, the colony is almost assuredly doomed.

Damn right it is. Without me.