As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Movies] Thread in Which We Don't Accidentally Spoil Movies, Goddammit

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
The last movie thread has been quarantined.

How it happened is somewhat interesting. Someone posted spoilers to a movie, properly tagged, then posted that it was similar to the spoilers from a different movie, wisely tagging the name of the similar movie. Good job!

Then a bunch of people came in and started talking about the analogous movie without tags. Less good job!

We have now learned a valuable lesson. Let us not repeat the mistakes of our fathers. Let us use care in spoiler tags.

Discuss movies now.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    No mention of how the movie thread went.....Lights Out?

That lack of pun is as disappointing as The Secret Life of Pets.

:snap: :crackle: :pop:

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Thank you overlords for protecting me from Lights Out spoilers.

• HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    guess some people want to be kept in the dark on this one

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    And lo our lord and savior, the great mod, did commit the ultimate sacrifice so that mankind might be delivered from spoilers.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    With how badly Lights Out was bungled I could see Jeffie do a face Palmer, accompanied with a big Bello of a moan.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Rosebud was Keyser Soze

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    But everyone watch Black Mass, it's a really good movie. I'll put the review in the spoilers below to save space for more puns.

Black Mass (HBO) is a really good movie, right in that Donnie Brasco vein of being a better take on a biopic.

It's not so much a Whitey Bulger movie as a John Connolly movie, the FBI guy who grew up idolizing Bulger and established him being an "informant" to stop the italian mafia, only to be sucked into the world of crime himself. And with Joel Edgerton playing Connolly, and totally pulling off a mini Kurt Russell in Miracle vibe with the hair and face, it's a good way to make Depp's portrayal not become a display of Depp in disguise, which was really good. I don't know if they gave him blue contacts or made his eyes blue with CGI but he's totally got that vibe of being nice to the neighborhood, and crazy, but smart enough to know when he's being played a fool. It's a hard balance to carry but Depp makes it work.

What is surprising is how many cameos there are in this movie. You got Dr. Strange as Bulger's senator brother (with a bad boston accent that comes and goes and seems like no one wanted to tell the oscar nominee he's not doing it right), Footloose is here and does a great job, Yellowjacket makes up for that bland movie with his performance, you got the sociopath kid from the last season of Breaking Bad here too, along with Juno Temple and Ben Wyatt. All this makes up for Dakota Johnson's thankfully short appearance in this movie where she too tries and fails to have a southie accent, only remembering it at the end of sentences.

David O. Russell should take note, this is how you copy a Marty Score movie, letting the usual style of his films (narration good music) become outlets for an original idea in framing the story, which in this case revolves around how everyone started to snitch on Bulger when it was revealed he was an informant all along. It works, it's smart, and it allows different voices, just like how Karen would take over a bit here and there for Henry in Goodfellas.

Looking at its budget I'm surprised it only basically broke even, it seems to fill that medium budget thriller genre.

Two thumbs up.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I've seen Black Mass but I'd give it a C. I think it being based on a true story hurt it as I think it could have done with some more fictional tweaking of the events.
    Like the way John Colloney is obviously screwed right from the start. I suppose it is meant to be tragic. But, to me at least, it seemed like he had no character arc. He just did the same thing over and over until it bites him in the ass. And then he keeps doing it! Like, sure, that's how it went down in real life, but I expect fictional characters to be a little more dynamic than that.

It's a fun watch though.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Hey guys Armond White is now reviewing for the National Review

:lol:

Think White's been doing that a while. I've seen his reviews on there several times before. They are always... special.

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Think White's been doing that a while. I've seen his reviews on there several times before. They are always... special.

Apparently Finding dory is an analogy of modern open border policy

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Having finally seen Deadpool, I absolutely think it's a fun night at the movies and almost a perfect film to watch after coming home from holidays while munching great pizza on the sofa with my wife, but not the pomo superhero comedic revelation some make it out to be. However, after finding Morena Baccarin altogether bland in Homeland (mind you, I've only seen S1), she was both hot and sweet in this one, a rare, precious combination. Gimme more of that, please.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Thirith wrote: »
    Having finally seen Deadpool, I absolutely think it's a fun night at the movies and almost a perfect film to watch after coming home from holidays while munching great pizza on the sofa with my wife, but not the pomo superhero comedic revelation some make it out to be. However, after finding Morena Baccarin altogether bland in Homeland (mind you, I've only seen S1), she was both hot and sweet in this one, a rare, precious combination. Gimme more of that, please.

Did you know that originally Olivia Munn was supposed to be the wife in that movie? Munn turned it down to be in X-men: Apocalypse, she didn't want to have a thinly written role. Ironic, huh.

Harry Dresden on
    Munn isn't on my radar at all; Baccarin is due to the obvious reason (yup, big Firefly fan here). It's why I was so disappointed in her character in Homeland: I found her utterly blah. Glad she's got her groove back.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Did you know that originally Olivia Munn was supposed to be the wife in that movie? Munn turned it down to be in X-men: Apocalypse, she didn't want to have a thinly written role. Ironic, huh.

Ouch.

edited July 2016
    Munn isn't on my radar at all; Baccarin is due to the obvious reason (yup, big Firefly fan here). It's why I was so disappointed in her character in Homeland: I found her utterly blah. Glad she's got her groove back.

She's become an amazing actress. Her work on The Newsroom convinced me of that.

Harry Dresden on
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

While she totally made the wrong decision, it's not surprising. The role of the girlfriend in a weird R rated super hero movie doesn't sound terribly involved. Even just a straight reading of the script might not really convey how nice the role actually was

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche

While she totally made the wrong decision, it's not surprising. The role of the girlfriend in a weird R rated super hero movie doesn't sound terribly involved. Even just a straight reading of the script might not really convey how nice the role actually was

She might not have read either script, that's very common in Hollywood before actors sign on.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hey guys Armond White is now reviewing for the National Review

:lol:

As he's a professional contrarian, it seems a logical choice.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna go see Ghostbusters in a couple hours, and it got me thinking.

The actual action of watching a movie feels somewhat reverential, right? It strikes me that people have rituals, where to sit in the theater, what concessions to buy. I mean, I think I only see maybe a half dozen movies in the theater every year, but if I don't sit in the right spot and have my ceremonial Icee, it's not right.

I think it would be interesting to study how people approach the business of actually watching a movie. All the little rituals that make our experiences meaningful are neat.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    edited July 2016
    Olivia Munn is an actress, I'll give you that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYLk6nMB23o

did not know about that stuntman almost dying with that flip over the car in the final chase.

TexiKen on

The actual action of watching a movie feels somewhat reverential, right? It strikes me that people have rituals, where to sit in the theater, what concessions to buy. I mean, I think I only see maybe a half dozen movies in the theater every year, but if I don't sit in the right spot and have my ceremonial Icee, it's not right.

I think it would be interesting to study how people approach the business of actually watching a movie. All the little rituals that make our experiences meaningful are neat.

Small popcorn with butter, small Cherry Coke, box of Junior Mints.

Without those three things, it's just a big TV.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I have learned the painful lesson about getting a soda at a movie. With movies being as long as they are these days, I go in slightly dehydrated and don't get a soda. It's the only way to see the film uninterrupted.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I have learned the painful lesson about getting a soda at a movie. With movies being as long as they are these days, I go in slightly dehydrated and don't get a soda. It's the only way to see the film uninterrupted.

I've used this site/app before for that: http://runpee.com/

But mostly I go to the bathroom like literally right before previews start to try to avoid it

Skittles and Popcorn is the best combo btw hth

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    It depends on how hungry I am. Sometimes I'll get like a burger or just the green chili loaded fries if I'm not so hungry.

To drink, he depends on if I am feeling a couple beers or want to work up a buzz with cocktails.

I have been ruined by Draft House.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    One snack I found to be perfect at movies is Pocky, to the point where theaters would be smart to actually offer it.

It all started on a whim when I saw the stuff for sale at Costco where it's in individual wrapped packages and they fit in a pockyet perfectly (or purse), they have a clean handle so you don't worry about your fingers, and it's a quiet treat you can space out that isn't heavy or loses it's heat early on like a pretzel or popcorn. You buy a coke there, have the pocky, and just chillax and watch Secret Life of Pets disappoint you.

August: Osage County has good to very good performances, but the script - and, I guess, the original play - feels like a Greatest Hits of American Family Drama. It's not that I mind its tropes, I mind that the film constantly reminded me of the writers and plays that had done these things better and fresher, from O'Neill to Albee. It's no accident that Sam Shepard is out of the film after five minutes or so, having written several of these himself and much better as well. There are some scenes where the actors make it work, and some lines are witty and strong, but so often the script lies somewhere between pastiche and ripoff. I did very much like Julianne Nicholson, though; not only is she the least derivatively neurotic character, her acting also stays grounded and genuine throughout. Mango Martindale's also good, with a smaller role. The rest of the women are good with the material, but it's the thespian equivalent of CGI spectacle - loud and showoffy. And th men are somewhere between okay but boring and one-dimensional caricatures.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    A nice can of Pirouettes is great for movies too.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I have a story about pocky. I wonder if I can find the post, it's from many years ago.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett addresses movie rituals and reverence in a rather literal way. While perhaps not among the great Discworld books, I still found it entertaining and thought provoking.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/07/24/sdcc-riverdale-pilot-review
    The Twin Peaks influences are most compelling: in style, color, tone, score and even plot, the Riverdale pilot brings to mind the first episode of Twin Peaks with great clarity. Riverdale is a tiny, stylish community with eye-catching landmarks: The Bijou theater, MLJ comics shop (a nod to MLJ Magazines, the company that founded Archie Comics), Pop Tate's Chok’lit Shoppe, a retro diner lifted directly from the pages of the comics. Everything looks atmospheric and alluring; the colors are cool blues and greys interspersed with bright pops of color. And, in a manner deliberately reminiscent of Twin Peaks, a dead body even washes ashore in the first hour of the series.

Yes, the first season of Riverdale will be a murder mystery -
    who killed Jason Blossom, the twin brother to Queen B Mean Girl Cheryl Blossom? In a breathtaking segment opening the episode, he and Cheryl take a canoe out on the river, but only Cheryl returns.
    The creepy parts of Riverdale are legitimately creepy, and when we see
    Jason's
    dead body in the final moments before the credits, it's a pretty gnarly reveal. There's plenty of mystery surrounding
    the Blossoms,
    but most of the adult characters are nestled in intrigue, as well: Twin Peaks' Mädchen Amick plays Betty's mother Alice, who has a deep, fiery loathing for the Blossom siblings. Luke Perry is Archie's father Fred, who has a romantic past with Veronica's mother Hermione, played by Marisol Nichols.

And what of my favorite character, one Mr. Jughead Jones? Cole Sprouse is heard but not seen for much of the pilot, as our show's moody, noirish narrator, something of a loner. Halfway through the episode, Archie runs into Jughead at Pop Tate's, and we learn that they used to be friends until some unknown offense of Archie's separated the two. There's a nod to Jughead's omnipresent crown in a beanie that's sort of folded up into points, and I know that will drive you guys crazy, but I kind of like it. Jughead is obsessed with the mystery surrounding
    Jason Blossom
    - we find him taking notes as he sits by himself at the diner.

There's a lot of sex in this new world, stuff that will doubtlessly earn the most controversy, ire or scorn of anything in the series. Miss Grundy (Sarah Habel) is a hot, young teacher, and she and Archie are both trying to move on from an ill-advised affair over the summer. Betty and Veronica kiss in one scene that kind of makes sense for the plot, Moose (Cody Kearsley) is a closet case getting some down-low Kevin Keller action. Betty and Archie are both introduced in shirtless scenes; Betty's on Adderall. People are going to be annoyed. As a dyed-in-the-wool lover of trashy teen television (and a legitimate childhood fan of Archie Comics!), I loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm705Itp2OU

Wait wait.

Riverdale is actually a thing. With Archie. And Betty. And Veronica. And murder.

This is a thing.

I must watch this.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I try to never buy food at the theatre, 4.50 for a bottle of coke or 6 bucks for a bag of popcorn? I mean, at some point the gouging becomes insulting. I did buy some nachos and shitty cheese once because I forgot to eat ahead of time and I love nachos and shitty cheese. A friend's kid work concessions a few years back and I ordered some from him, "Good day, I would like to be gouged in the most horrific manner, whilst ordering Nachos, could you help me with that?" He rolled with it, "That is indeed something we can assist you with here!" and the people around us all had a laugh about it.

The one theatre we tend to go to is licensed (no fucking kids yeaaaaaaaaaah) and has in seat service, with things like sweet potato fries and so on. The beer is expensive and shitty, or so my friends tell me.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Oh yeah. Never buy food at the theater. Unless you're desperate.

I find as I get older, it takes more and more for me to actually want to see a movie in theaters at all. I usually only do it for the mega-huge blockbusters. Avengers or Star Wars-level shit.

I used to collect ticket stubs. Then the theaters near me stopped using tickets. Now they print your admission on receipt paper. Receipt paper! I can't collect receipt paper!

What's the world comin' to?

RT800 on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I can't drink anything prior to a movie unless I want to either end up having to piss during it (unacceptable!!!) or suffer the pain of direly needing to piss.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I don't much bother with the big movies either, because uh, I already saw them 30 years ago when they came out the first time. We do go to a little independent theatre to see documentaries and smaller touchy feely flicks like Broken Flowers / Cairo Time that don't wind up in big cinemas. Popcorn is ~$1 a bag and you can get a coke for about the same.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Oh yeah. Never buy food at the theater. Unless you're desperate.

I find as I get older, it takes more and more for me to actually want to see a movie in theaters at all. I usually only do it for the mega-huge blockbusters. Avengers or Star Wars-level shit.

I used to collect ticket stubs. Then the theaters near me stopped using tickets. Now they print your admission on receipt paper. Receipt paper! I can't collect receipt paper!

What's the world comin' to?

I used to keep the ticket stub of the last movie I saw in my wallet, and replace upon seeing a new one. I can't even remember when I stopped, it just doesn't work with printer paper.

And yeah, it's got to be a really big deal for me to go to the theater at this point, with a rare exception for something I want to give personal support to. For example: going to Kubo and The Two Strings opening night to kind of give Laika a thank you; I love their work and their passion for their art.

Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah I can't drink anything prior to a movie unless I want to either end up having to piss during it (unacceptable!!!) or suffer the pain of direly needing to piss.

Ok grandpa

I've started getting the kid packs. It's as much popcorn as I can reasonably eat and about a 10oz soda for $5-6 or so. Grab Junior Mints from the dollar store before I go.

Hit the early bird special at the cheaper theater, and tickets are only $7. I can actually take the family to see a movie for under $50.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Military discount for IMAX 3D makes the tickets $13.

If I can see something in 3D I usually do. I know a lot of people arent about it but I absolutely love the effect.