As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rimworld] 7 year olds can wield firearms. Biotech released!

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Man, nudist night owls are the fucking best.

Strip off their clothes, set their work assignment for the middle of the night, bam, free permanent +35 positive mood.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Rimworld Thread colony isn't doing super great. I just had a few back to back raids, currently everyone is bleeding and I have 1 medicine left, although all my herbal medicine probably could be harvested at this point.

I also lost @Delmain to a rogue cougar attack. That one sucked because he was my best gunner.

I actually don't bother with medicines if such-and-such is only bleeding/bruised/got shot/cracked a rib etc... If they get infections or actually have something that has a good chance to kill them if they don't get something more substantial than a bandage, a slap on the back and a yell to walk it off, then yeah they get medicines. In my restarted (again) colony, I haven't used a single medicine yet even though I've had people with fingers blown off, entire bodies shredded by a frag grenade etc... and they're none worse for the wear. I haven't had something leave a scar or permanent wound with budget health care. Even if it did, I'd be less worried by a minor mood hit than the possibility of loosing a pawn because I ran out of meds tending to scrapes and boo boos than the really scary stuff.

Oh and I restarted again to experiment with new ideas on general base design. Or more to the point, insulation. I'm fully focusing on playing on really cold maps. IE: Average yearly temperatures is below zero though I'm not yet about to step into the Ice Sheets biome because that's just a bit too hardcore for me at the moment. I'm still on my learner's after all. My current strategy is to not just have a double thick wall, but to actually have a double wall with an air gap and a three chamber airlock. The rationale behind that is the exterior will influence the first air gap, which then provides insulation for the inner wall. If I want to get really psychotic, I could consider a second air gap which I'm actually contemplating for an even more paranoid design that uses the first air gap as a defensive position against sappers. Since the air gaps are small, and even if it hits -28C outside, the warmer living areas will exert dominant influence over the air gaps so they'll be impacted less by the extreme temperatures outside. This in theory should also work in the opposite extremity in insulating against a very hot map. The challenging thing is to design a way to exhaust warm air should the food/medicine freezer be a little too excited during the summer months where the average temperatures are actually comfortable.
    3D3B6F3A60B3FB13AE2A7D3A1539E08BA0C43205

I'm using the RedistHeat mod's active vents to seal off the air gap for the cooler during winter since that exhaust port is the weakest part of the base's thermal armour (sounding familiar, Luke?) but you could probably accomplish the same goal with another 1-2 coolers in a daisy chain so they don't shut down because the exhaust area is too hot... but that's going to cost a lot of power to maintain. As an indication, the temperatures for the air gaps during the night were -18C outside, -11C for the first air gap, 0 for the second and interior temperatures of 18C, which is maintained via heaters and the freezer's exhaust. Though I'm not entirely sure how much of an effect the freezer's cooler exhaust has on the base temperature during Winter given that it has a very small difference in temperatures to manage and most of the heat it's expelling from the freezer would be from the base itself to keep the meat sacks functional.

I may even have a new totally absurd strategy in dealing with the whole heat exhaust thing during the summer warmer times: Exhaust the heat into the freezer. Then have the freezer exhaust out into the biome instead of back into the base. The idea is that I'll have a penetration through the insulation for the heat exhaust, and that's going to create a channel straight into the innermost area. If I were to exhaust the summer months heat into the freezer I'll solve two problems: First is that I may not even need the cooler in the first place as the ambient external temperatures are only going to cap out at around 18C. Any waste heat I need to get rid of will be coming from components such as torches if I still have them, and the batteries. The freezer is going to be dumping its waste heat outside directly so there's no problem with that end. The second problem is how to insulate against the freezing outside without compromising the insulation layers. And that'll be solved by using the freezer itself as one of the buffer zones and to be honest, it just means less work on the freezer's cooler. If I really wanted to get stupid paranoid, I'll pump the base's heat into the kitchen which then pumps into the freezer that then pumps outside. That way I have two buffer rooms before the interior living areas gets exposed. The grand end goal is to reduce the amount of heat I need to generate because I'm losing some of it to the evil outdoors which then means less power consumption and more capable of living off wind/solar instead of burning trees, which don't grow too good out here.

Another thing I'm experimenting with is using wind turbine(s). One at the moment; and reasonable bank of batteries plus a standard fuel generator for base load. My current power setup is the one turbine, one fuel generator plus four batteries. The power balance fluctuates a fair bit but when the power gen spikes because the turbine hits max capacity, it recharges the batteries quite well and I'm currently in a net gain over time. I'm currently liking Wind over Solar because it's reasonably steady and there's no random events to dick you over (except Solar Flares, which just screws you over entirely). In one of my previous colonies, I had a Volcanic Winter which lasted all of Summer so that screwed over my chance in growing trees for fuel for the next winter since the growing season is from 11th Spring to 1st Fall, so I was going to be in a lot of shit anyhow on that colony because I'll end up with no fuel for my 6 generators.

Come to think of it, attempting to grow trees for the second Winter is a fool's errand anyhow unless you start in Spring instead of Summer. 11th Spring to 1st Fall is 20 days, and most trees have a growth time for around 30 days. Since this is a frigid wasteland, there's going to be a temperature penalty regardless so there's no hope in hell to get trees planted, and grown to a reasonable state by the time the 2nd Fall ticks around and everything just stops growing. So, my strategic goals won't change one bit between a 11th Spring -> 1st Fall growing season and zero growing season at all. I have to strip the land of all the foragables and trees as quickly as possible and then head into the hills and then live off hydroponics then eventually expanding the base outside, build a sheltered enclave and reclaim some fertile land for stuff along with the steam vents.

How big are some of your colonies getting? I'm trying to plan well ahead but I have no idea how many colonists I should even contemplate supporting. Which then feeds into how on earth do you have enough bedrooms for them all, and how big said bed rooms need to be. I wonder if it's possible to have pawns working in rotating shifts so that one bedroom actually has three sets of beds but that'll probably hit people with shared bedroom mood debuffs because they're sloppy bums when it comes to keeping to a proper schedule. Also given that the pawns spend so little time in the bedrooms is it even worth going all luxurious and giving them 5*5 or larger bed rooms, which end up being empty regardless and the majority of their days are spent working in the significantly larger and more valuable places to spend the good stuff on?

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    This game has its claws in deeeeep.

Had two colonists get in a real good fight. Tucker, the OG boss lady of the colony, against Wilson who is a basically useless old lady. Tucker won the fight and beat the living shit out of Wilson, breaking a bunch of her bones, bruises everywhere, etc. Wilson was going to be in the hospital for a while. Tucker wanted medical attention for her two bruised fists.

I've been as big a 6 colonists (once) and as small as 3 (...many times). Usually my learning game mechanics involves someone dying.
    "Damn friendly fire. Probably shouldn't have people shoot at an enemy that someone else is meleeing."
    "Animals can be dangerous when you're far away from help and not the best shot"
    "Oh, that's how grenades work"
    "Turns out injured people can set off traps"
    "Don't try to tame a bear"

edited July 2016
    My policy when it comes to hunting is that if there's no herd, or the animals are small, yeah I'll let the assigned hunters do their thing and concentrate on the bigger tasks at hand.

If I'm going to be culling an entire herd of big animals like muffalos or elks or whatnot, I draft a team, and manually control them in the hunt. If it's big enough to solve my colony's food problems for 1-2 seasons in a single session, it's big enough for me to take personal charge over it. Or, if the target is something that's potentially lethal to the solo pawn like wargs and such in which case, I still justify it as it's a big enough threat that I have to ensure it's done right.

Oh and speaking of colony saving hunts... My current colony survived a near disaster. I originally expected my food stocks to last through the winter, but I had in a raid two prisoners who I wanted at all costs. Their skills and learning potential were fantastic; one of them is quite seriously at least 1 flame on EVERY skill. But she's lazy so whatever... still a keeper and the other one filled two gaps in my colony roster which is a damn good miner, and someone who can work with animals. Not that I had any at the moment but it's something for the future.
    As luck would have it, I had a double whammy of a Toxic Fallout during Winter. Again. But this time it was paired with an alphabeaver invasion which I couldn't deal with because I can't be outside because of the fallout. So all the trees were condemned and I couldn't recover the toxic beaver corpses because winter + fallout = no go.
    So, food stocks dwindled. I panicked, built up a nutrient paste dispenser, dug up two corpses of some other raiders, butchered them annnnd... no dice. The hoppers didn't allow for human meat for some reason so I gave the order to the cook to use the human meat just to hold over until the first hydroponic crops came in. First crop came in, I had one colonist already taken a bite out of the mystery meat dish and then force fed the rest to prevent contamination of the food stocks (I should have set them to do not interact in hindsight)
    Still no good. I shouldn't have force fed those dishes because the crop wouldn't last long enough for the next batch. And then it happened.
    Toxic Fallout settled, the wilds were open again. And while I was desperately scanning the map for anything edible, I spotted two big herds of elks and muffalos. So now, I've rebuilt my supply of meals to ~30, and I have enough meat to make ~80 simple meals and a stock of hydroponic crops that'll make another 50 meals. Which... would take my colony of 6 people about... 13 days to eat through. Holy crap.

Takel on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    No medicine seems... difficult to me... it seems like any open wound I treat without medicine results in an infection as this is what I usually do for any sort of prisoner that isn't worth trying to recruit.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    No medicine seems... difficult to me... it seems like any open wound I treat without medicine results in an infection as this is what I usually do for any sort of prisoner that isn't worth trying to recruit.

Last night I think I learned to leave a little bit less blood laying around the barracks/hospital. I'm assuming that's what happened, because suddenly 3 of my colonists got infections in some of their extremely old wounds, and it was not a good time.

• azhaisazhais Registered User regular
    when you can afford it sterile tile in the hospital is a nice thing. There's also a mod that adds "sterile walls" which have no effect afaik they just match the coloring of the tiles for that clean hospital look

steam_sig.png
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I think
    Aegis wrote: »
    Man, nudist night owls are the fucking best.

Strip off their clothes, set their work assignment for the middle of the night, bam, free permanent +35 positive mood.

Until winter comes and its -20 outside at night!

My colony is still going only because of save-scumming, although in my defence I had no idea how insect hives worked and I didn't want all of the work I'd done on my current run to go to waste because I didn't understand a mechanic rather than because I screwed up or faced some kind of overwhelming threat. So anyway, an insect hive turned up... in my food store. There was somebody in it at the time who was immediately mauled and knocked unconscious / in need of rescue, and everybody else was suddenly without a source of food.

Plan number one: Just run in and shoot at them, how tough can they be anyway?

Very tough, as it turns out. Everyone died.

Plan number two: Lure them out and then shoot them.

They couldn't be lured all the way outside so I engaged them at the end of a long corridor, but it still wasn't enough. At this point I have a good idea of just how tough the bugs are and I decide that engaging them directly isn't a good idea.

Plan number three: Freeze the bastards.

This one had promise! A daring rescue (i.e, wait until they're away from the door and have someone grab him while the others provide covering fire) got me my unconscious dude back and my rescuer only slightly clawed, then I turn the thermostat on the freezers cooler down to -100C and wait. It takes a lot longer than expected for the temperature to start dropping, and my colonists start to starve. Then, I discover that the bugs can dig, and they break out and kill everyone.

... forth time's a charm?

Plan number four: Freeze the bastards, wall them in and find an alternate food source, also set the turrets up to murder them if they break out before they freeze to death.

Daring rescue #2 was a success, but also resulted in the rescuer getting shot in the leg by the people providing the covering fire. I'm going to assume it was the guy missing his index finger who was responsible. Unfortunately the rescuer was my doctor and the guy being rescued was the backup doctor, so they had to sort of awkwardly treat each other whilst hobbling around and bleeding everywhere. Meanwhile I send my best shooter out to hunt some meat (its winter and nothing will grow), the nearest available source of which is timber wolf. He brings back a fresh wolf corpse, but leaves behind his left hand. Whoops. I try to get a secondary stove set up, but my people can't wait apparently, and end up eating raw wolf meat for a couple of meals. Walls are put up, and turrets are re-positioned into the corridors, and this time I'm feeling a bit more hopeful about our chances... until I realise that I'm not going to be able to freeze them after all. The bug's minimum comfortable temperature is -35C and -40C and my cooler will only just get down to -40C. Also it turns out that just because they're uncomfortable doesn't mean they're actually dying, and all I've accomplished is making the smaller, weaker bugs shiver a bit. But on the bright side the hives seem less tolerant of temperature changes, so now at least I only have to deal with the bugs I've already got. I'm just considering whether to deconstruct the quarantine walls and let the turrets have at it when the bugs break out themselves... on the opposite side of the freezer. Which doesn't have turrets guarding it. And leads to the outside. Oops. I wish I could say there was a final climactic showdown with the bugs, but it was more of a one-sided massacre. Turns out bugs aren't so smart and have quite a small aggro range; take them out of their tunnels and they're actually not much of a threat at all since you can just pick them off from range.

Final score:

Me: 8
    Bugs: 0
    Timber wolves: 1 hand

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Note to self: don't waste components.

I burned through all of mine to get the thing that allows you to research component production, only to find out that you need someone with level 10 crafting to make them. My colony ain't exactly a book-learnin' colony, so it's going to be a while before that happens. I have Wilson making stone blocks like crazy though, so at 100xp a pop we'll eventually get there.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I have a minor beef with my current game.

I've had 3 raids so far. Because I'm still in my temporary "build buildings before I find a permanent base" setup, my 2 turrets I've erected aren't exactly in the most optimal of defensive positions. This, naturally, means each and every raiding party approaches with surgical precision along the one pathway to my base that will get them through my turrets without them firing. Okay, fine, whatever game, cheat, I don't care. So every time, the raiders hide on the northern side of my central building and take aim...

...at the same bloody Dromedary who migrated to my home.

The poor bastard's been wounded in a firefight 3 times. Admittedly, in the 3rd of these firefights, he suffered more friendly fire damage from my one guy with a gun trying to shoot the raider and hitting the Dromedary instead, than from the raider himself. In my defense, said Dromedary provides excellent cover.

He did spontaneously develop a name after the 2nd time he hit the ground full of 15-20 bullet holes and plasma wounds, so I think Pogo is saying "Fuck it, at least they give me a bed."

Characters
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I think I need help with the actual controls. I had a Nutrient Paste dispenser constructed, connected to a power grid, and brimming with butchered meat, but my colonists seemed more content to go to the hopper and eat a handful of raw pork instead of eating the damn paste.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Is the hopper pointed at the paste dispenser? The circle needs to be on the dispenser. BTW you can reinstall it on the same spot, just rotated if needed.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Yeah. They'll go to the dispenser to feed someone in prison, but not themselves. It's so weird.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Maybe it's a food preference thing? The nutrient past dispenser says in the description that nobody likes eating it, so maybe they're eating the edible food available before considering the nutrient dispenser. May need to convert all food to paste or something?

But short of having an all-stone area where no crops can be grown, potatoes are easy to farm and make plenty of food anyway, so you're better off with some indoor farming.

Nutrient Paste is considered a cooked food, which should have a higher priority over raw food. There's also less of a mood penalty for paste vs raw food so the fact that the pawns willingly chose to munch on raw pork instead of a textureless nutrient paste is a bit of a mystery...

Unless you have poor soil like gravel, Rice > Potatoes. You exchange slightly higher labour costs because it grows faster, but you get a higher average yield per day. Plus if you're using hydroponics, rice grows even faster because it has a higher fertility bonus.
    The downside is that you must cook rice... but that should hardly ever be a problem.

• NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Rice is always a good option. Especially if you don't like eating raiders non stop.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Takel wrote: »
    Nutrient Paste is considered a cooked food, which should have a higher priority over raw food.

Huh. My colonists almost always eats raw corn instead of cooked simple meals. Some exception for corn, since they don't get the "ate raw food" debuff?

edited July 2016
    Yeah... corn is weird. I've read other people report about their pawns munching on raw corn. Maybe they watched a news clip of Dubya Bush and thought that was the way to go?

In an update to my learning journey, I've revamped my colony's thermal systems and decided to pump all the base's heat into the freezer
    C4EEBEE0912191813669FB556D7C26943B4AB51C

I've also expanded my power systems by adding a second wind turbine, and added another two batteries to the bank as well as doing some tidying up and started construction of a battery/power room. I've started expanding out the workshop into something that isn't so cramped and has a bit more room to grow but in the near future, I'll need to reduce the size of the freezer to double wall + air gap it from the main base. The kitchen is a chilly 1 degree to keep ingredients refrigerated as I'm using a technique I learnt to massively increase the productivity of the cook, which unfortunately requires leaving some ingredients out of the freezer.

I've also hit a rather major problem: No more wood. I've got a reasonable amount of power now so I'm going to go around and yank out all the torches, install lighting as appropriate and some heaters in the sleeping quarters. However, no more wood has another effect. I'm still using a fuelled stove (I'm working on getting an electric one! Honest!) so in a short while I'll be unable to cook more food even though I've just murdered a maneating pack of boars which left me with ~500 units of pork. However, I've got 60 simple meals and 30 fine meals on hand, which should last about 7-8 days before I'll need to consider installing a nutrient paste dispenser...

Another thing I'm going to be doing is pushing out into the frigid wasteland and build a greenhouse to get some trees growing.

Takel on
    I'm very confused how you have that much rock mined out, that much plasteel, greenhouses researched and bricks made all by the start of the second year

Man, if I'm going for a mountain base and I don't have that much mined out by the start of the second season I feel like a failure. Much less a whole year! Excavations basically start day 2 (day 1 is focused on shelter, beds, table, crops, horseshoe pit, and getting starting stuff hauled while I plan out digging). Arid wastelands and deserts tend to be slower than that because I have to spend so much time finding wood to fuel ovens. My current colony had like 8 trees/cacti on the map. Actually planted birch, tho it's unclear at this point if these neolithic bastards will get electricity researched before I run out of cooking capacity (which will certainly happen before the birch grows enough to harvest).

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2016
    What are trees? My colonies are persistently cursed by some Pagan god of the woodlands.

First colony had a flight of a couple dozen alphabeavers move in within the first couple weeks, with the helpful note of "Do something about it or the trees'll get it!". Yea, I have one guy with a gun, he ain't doing shit about that. Second and current colony had a Dry Thunderstorm spell in fall that ignited 6-8 fires across the map which then killed the boom-wildlife, who then exploded and expanded the fires. I was at the emergency point of erecting temporary steel walls around my settlement to contain the spreading inferno, when a snowstorm came through and put the fires out.

Aegis on
    Characters
    To the 72 year old, Neurotic, Depressive, Pyromaniac with chronic Medium pain: man, I'd love if we had a spot here for you to join our colony, but you know what? We recently filled right up. Check, uh, check down the road at the next colony.

Characters
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Does anyone ever save the settlers on the run from angry locals? I can't imagine that level of risk being worth it. Even if they've got decent skills, wouldn't it give you a negative relations with the tribe for years to come?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    I don't think I've ever had one come running from a friendly entity. I pretty much always say yes unless it was right after a raid that left my people/defenses injured badly

steam_sig.png
    The first one I'll tend to save, but I like playing the 1 colonist start, so I need all the colonists I can get, and I usually have a turret up at that point.

Characters
    azhais wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever had one come running from a friendly entity. I pretty much always say yes unless it was right after a raid that left my people/defenses injured badly

I never pay enough attention, it just says "he's running from the Turks of Durks will you save him or not" and I'm like man are those the guys I just traded with, I don't even know.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    azhais wrote: »

I never pay enough attention, it just says "he's running from the Turks of Durks will you save him or not" and I'm like man are those the guys I just traded with, I don't even know.

Do you have the option to capture him and turn him over to the Turks of Durks?
    Seems like it would improve relations with the neighbors. Can't really overstate how important it is to be a good neighbor.

Nah, you can turn down their distress call and you hear some screams that are quickly silenced. I did wonder if that results in any sort of relation improvement, probably not since you didn't do anything at all.

So those people who crash down in escape pods where the game tells me "better rescue them, they're probably injured."

How do I get them to join my colony?

Because every time I've healed them up, they've pretty much went "Thanks." and beelined for the edge of the map, with no apparent option to recruit them.

Characters
  • ThendashThendash Registered User regular
    You tell your colonist to capture them instead of rescue. Then treat them like the criminal they are and set their prisoner status to chat & recruit. That'll teach them to crash on your front yard!

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    You need a prison room to do that as well. Nothing much, just a room with a door and at least one prisoner-specific bed (and probably set as a medical bed as well, at least until they're healed).

Though it can help to make sure the room isn't ugly and stuff, so they don't go crazy and try and break out.

Thendash wrote: »
    You tell your colonist to capture them instead of rescue. Then treat them like the criminal they are and set their prisoner status to chat & recruit. That'll teach them to crash on your front yard!

Yeah it's really unintuitive actually. Half the time they're like "oh yeah it's that one dude's brother" and why would you want to treat them like a prisoner and have to coerce them? Heck shouldn't they be way easy to convince because you nursed them back to health?

I think family members should auto-join after healing, at least.

edited July 2016
    Specifically, the most recent of these escape pod arrivals was one of my colonist's wife. She got up and left. Her mood while recovering from the crash was even "Wants to sleep with Hubby".

Poor guy.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited July 2016
    I'm very confused how you have that much rock mined out, that much plasteel, greenhouses researched and bricks made all by the start of the second year

Laser focus on what I need to get done, prioritisation and incremental improvements.

There was a compressed plasteel vein and a decently sized one sitting where my hydroponics bay is at the moment. It was a pain in the ass to mine becuase it was like what? 100,000 HP? My miner mentally broke a few times over them because he's a chronically depressed pansy who couldn't stand the sight of 2-3 rock boulders while digging in the dark. I was VERY lucky with resources. I had over 4500 steel because I kept finding the darn things while I was carving out my colony. 42.31E 39.11N 'yuna' is the map. That all meant that I wasn't too stressed on resources and I could focus on base building rather than sending pawns out into the world to get steel.

I dug out the entry airlock chamber, and then half of the 'common area' as my initial setup. One person was full time digging, another was construction/mining and the third was a full time hauler and cleaner second priority initially. They all slept outside the first night. Second night I managed to get the basics carved out and then installed a door and beds. Third day I made a table and some chairs (skipped the stools). Then I started digging the southern wing focusing on the kitchen and like a 3*9 segment of the freezer. Put in the cooler for the freezer, put a second cooler in the living area to exhaust the heat out into the world because sub zero temperatures will be coming and started culling animals for meat. Carved out the initial workshop area and half of the storeroom (9*9) and then started digging out the bedrooms. Meanwhile, all the chunks were being hauled out of the base because the things make moving around slower and increased ugliness which means more risk of mental breaks.

Research order was stonecutting -> Hydroponics.

As for how I managed to get that much rock mined out? These guys were locked indoors for most of Winter because of a toxic fallout, and I had 1 guy set as the primary miner who had 9 skill in it (he was the first wanderer that joined). They had PLENTY of time to dig and then smooth out the rock. Also note the work area just south of the stockpile. I have a hauler bringing chunks so the person making bricks doesn't have to haul their own.

I needed stonecutting as a priority. I needed brick walls to keep everyone relatively happy because they were going to be spending a lot of time in a cramped, dark hole in the side of a mountain. That and I needed to hide power conduits ASAP.
    Then Hydroponics. I don't need anything else, I don't need electric stoves because I won't have the power generation to support them, it'll take a bit more focus off my builders in setting up the conduits and other infrastructure to support the things and I needed to grow my own food ASAP because this place is a frozen hell hole.

As for traders, my priority were components > cheap food > cheap wools. I sold off a thousand or so steel because I had more than I needed for now (probably going to bite me later) and most of my leather scraps that wouldn't be usable in making something on their own. Oh and I also sold the starter pet as soon as possible because it was a cat and wouldn't be useful in any way. Suck it Colin, I sold your cat to buy a couple more components! I probably spent about 4 days out of ~50 dedicated to food. Big hunts and hydroponics are what saved me outside of buying out cheap food from traders.

Takel on
    "Incapable of: Intellectual, Dumb Labour, Skilled Labour, Caring"

You know what? I changed my mind. The pirates you were fleeing can have you back.

Characters
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

You know what? I changed my mind. The pirates you were fleeing can have you back.

"Meh."

A5RRMRx.png

6x6 bedrooms, lights AND two flower pots? DECADENT LUXURY!

Don't forget to grab a kidney and a lung first. Heck, may as well grab the liver too

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Specifically, the most recent of these escape pod arrivals was one of my colonist's wife. She got up and left. Her mood while recovering from the crash was even "Wants to sleep with Hubby".

Poor guy.

The recruitment system does seem to be pretty silly as it stands, I'm thinking of trying out the Hospitality mod which lets you add guest rooms and recruit visitors, but in theory that still wouldn't let you recruit injured pod arrivals without arresting them...

there really needs to be a more peaceful way to recruit people from pods or rescued visitors. I'm not entirely down with locking them up and forcing them to join me