As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GUST] Games. Atelier Ryza is now out, post your opinions here.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Aquagon is like freaken fluent in hymnnos...

And holy shit, those bug fixes...

Yeeeeeeeep. AT2 was a mess, and the English version was waaaaaaay more buggy and completely utterly broken than the Japanese version.

Which is a shame, because the characters and story are incredible and the best in the series with the exception that Ar noserge exists now so maybe it's a tie.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    New character intro video for Atelier Sophie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bWUPoZYlR8

Logy sounds the same at least, the ladies I can't really narrow the voices down that much yet. Although this plus the one hour video I posted above cements that our favorite ghost is back after being gone for an entire trilogy.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    New character info

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/06/07/atelier-firis-introduces-two-new-friends-illumeria-von-lineweber-levi-belgar/

Illumeria von Leinweber (CV: Sayaka Kaneko)

Character Design: Yuugen

A young girl who is on a journey to practice alchemy. She shares a rival’s relationship with Firis. She has a childish personality, and can be a bit of a brat and also hates losing; however, she’s diligent and a hard worker.

Illustration:
    IMG_4491_thumb.jpg

In-game model:
    IMG_4494_thumb.jpg

Levi Belgar (CV: Junta Terashima)

Character Design: NOCO

A vagrant swordsman who travels around various lands in search for hidden weapons and armor for the sole purpose of becoming stronger. He might look scary at first glance, but he’s actually great at housework and is an earnest character.

Illustration:
    IMG_4496_thumb.jpg

In-game Model:
    IMG_4498_thumb.jpg

And another unnamed character: Alternate outfit apparently

IMG_4504_thumb.jpg

Donnicton on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    And another unnamed character

That's not a new character. That's Firis, the lead, in a hot-climate outfit. In early scans we saw her in a cold-climate outfit. She gets new outfits every area.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Ah-Tah-Leer.

I've seen pronunciations of this that go all over the dang place.

The ONE I heard from an actual French person was A-tuhl-yay so that's the one I go with now.

• Options
    And another unnamed character

That's not a new character. That's Firis, the lead, in a hot-climate outfit. In early scans we saw her in a cold-climate outfit. She gets new outfits every area.

ok

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Ah-Tah-Leer.

The ONE I heard from an actual French person was A-tuhl-yay so that's the one I go with now.

You're doing God's work my friend.

Still wondering who will be the returning characters for Firis... it'd be really odd if Logy was the one that was in the entire next trilogy. Though I do want to know what the HELL he's doing there anyway.

BRB, gettin mah game!!

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    About an hour in the game. There's a trophy for clicking on a barrel, so yeah...

Also, more official information for the voices are out. Cabanos is confirmed as Sophie, Oskar is Erik Scott Kilmerer who... I have no idea who he is, and Monika is Erica Mendez. Logy's the same VA from before, and apparently just to show off more of his range... Xander Mobus is old man Horst.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Ah-Tah-Leer.

The girlfriend is conversant in French and gave this pronunciation as well, so I'm gonna say this is right

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Ah-Tah-Leer.

The girlfriend is conversant in French and gave this pronunciation as well, so I'm gonna say this is right

I honestly don't think there's a "right" anymore. I think there may be lots of dialect versions at this point and what not.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Ah-Tah-Leer.

I honestly don't think there's a "right" anymore. I think there may be lots of dialect versions at this point and what not.

Diction relativism is a slippery slope buddy

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Ah-Tah-Leer.

I just don't bother trying to correct anyone anymore is all.

Unless they say "at-leer" then I go full nerd-hulk rage mode

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Ah-Tah-Leer.

Which is really hard to get angry about anymore considering that's what the goddamn games have been calling them for the last 2 or 3 titles. I hate it, but I can't be mad at people mimicking the platform they hear it from.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Ah-Tah-Leer.

Which is really hard to get angry about anymore considering that's what the goddamn games have been calling them for the last 2 or 3 titles. I hate it, but I can't be mad at people mimicking the platform they hear it from.

Do they really? I admit I've never heard the word said in the games themselves but then I play with the Japanese tracks.

• Options
    Doll Making Trailer! Never thought I'd get excited for something called that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7_ABhNk9PU

There seems to be a repeating theme with making outfits in this new trilogy, as Atelier Firis already showed that the MCs have different outfits depending on what region they're in.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Sophie is Nepgear. Monika is Uzume. I can't unhear.

• Options
    So I'm thinking of finally getting the Atelier games on my Vita. Do I just bite the bullet and buy them digital or can I realistically wait for a sale? I assume getting the physical carts is impossible at this point.

• Options
    So I'm thinking of finally getting the Atelier games on my Vita. Do I just bite the bullet and buy them digital or can I realistically wait for a sale? I assume getting the physical carts is impossible at this point.

Only Escha/Logy Plus ever had an physical release on Vita out of the first six games.

They have a sale occasionally, so it might be worth waiting, especially if you've already played them before anyway.

The Playstation Store actually has an $80 bundle that contains Rorona/Totori/Meruru Plus, you'll want to get that rather than all three separately at full price(or equivalent sale ratio). Localization of Shallie Plus is probably another year out so you have Ayesha, Escha/Logy and optionally Sophie for the rest of the Atelier series.

• Options
    Yeah, I saw that bundle. Damn I'm probably going to have to get another memory card too.

Maybe I won't get them.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    So... yeah, a few hours into this game, and it's possibly one of the lightest plots I've seen in an Atelier game so far. Usually there's some personal issue that needs resolved, but Sophie really is just 'I wanna learn alchemy, and this book's gonna help me, and in the process I'll learn about the book as well'. And it's ALL about alchemy, and it doesn't hold your hand about what you're doing either. The first handful of hours playing this are pretty much all about 'find as many recipes as possible', because apparently there's no books on alchemy in this realm, at least none where Sophie is.

Also, I dunno how to feel about Logy. I mean it's clear he's NOT Logy from Dusk, because he's not an alchemist at all. He's a blacksmith, and apparently he and Sophie have known each other a while. So if it's not even remotely the old Logy... WHY have him at all?? I wouldn't exactly call him a favorite of that trilogy.

Part of me is wondering if the idea of 'alchemy being a product of imagination', which seems to be the mantra of this new trilogy, is Gust trying something trippy with this new series. Like in the trilogy's end you realize that the entire realm you were playing in was created using alchemy, using a book like Plachta, except what you wrote down became reality. Which would also mean it was created by someone from the Dusk trilogy who knew Logy.

Also, there's quite literally a rumor system in the game... like something almost straight out of Persona 2, which is REALLY odd for this series, but somehow fitting for this game.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    iadlastiadlast Registered User regular
    Mana Khemia had a rumor system too though.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    iadlast wrote: »
    Mana Khemia had a rumor system too though.

The only thing Sophie's rumor system has in common with Mana Khemia's rumor system is that they both have "rumor" in their description.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Plachta gets more interesting as time goes by, but yeah, it's very plot-light in general. I'm not sure if I love or hate the Tetris alchemy system. I don't have good enough stuff to synthesize a larger cauldron yet, and I accidentally synthesized over my one large cauldron with a smaller one... which means I'm going to have trouble making good stuff until I can get that larger cauldron back. :(

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Quiotu wrote: »
    because apparently there's no books on alchemy in this realm, at least none where Sophie is.

I've found a few books for sale, actually, in the beginning town.

• Options
  • Options
    As much as I love the Atelier games I really wish they'd break the mold finally and give us a hardcore tomboy main character.

• Options
    Shallotte is probably the closest we're going to get. Can't have it too boyish, J-waifus need to be nice and girly to not make the otakus uncomfortable.

Especially in Atelier games; Logy as a male co-lead was like opening the ark of the covenant for them.

• Options
    Shallotte is probably the closest we're going to get. Can't have it too boyish, J-waifus need to be nice and girly to not make the otakus uncomfortable.

Especially in Atelier games; Logy as a male co-lead was like opening the ark of the covenant for them.

I mean, they can still have their breathey huge eyed terrified girls as supporting cast.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    This is also the first

I mean, they can still have their breathey huge eyed terrified girls as supporting cast.

Sadly they're not worried that much about Western fans. They like that the games sell here, but they won't be catering them to us anytime soon.

And that kind of protagonist really works with the game. It always centers around a young lady new to adventuring and alchemy, and would die horribly in the first hour without help. 'Support the Glass Cannon' is kinda the series' bread and butter.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Wait, Pamela??

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Wait, Pamela??

Yeah, Pamela. I mean, she's in special circumstances where she can pretty much hang out anywhere she wants. Thing is... they're doing weird things with canon from the last trilogy in this, so I don't know if Pamela's in the same situation in this new trilogy.

Seriously, I'm not sure what they're doing with the previous trilogy's characters. For instance...
    Atelier-Firis-Logy-Escha-Scan_08-08-16.jpg
    Now... apparently in Firis, both Escha and Logy show up. But Logy's 27... and Escha's 11. I just don't know WTF is going on now. I'll still play it, but they're getting REALLY loose with the characters at this point.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I mean... 11-year-old Escha is super cute, so I guess I can forgive them.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    I need to get back to Gust games soon. This was just a good year for games for me, and now I'm a little backed up.

I'll throw in more info for Firis and Blue Reflection when I got time. Also, Nights of Azure is getting a sequel, which surprises me. Wasn't sure how successful that was.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Finally got to see the videos.

Yay for Burst mode to come back and for more directly controlled combo attacks.

They have some absolutely HUGE maps in Firis this time. Makes me wonder if the map is the same, or if places are just separated by regions. The tent system seems like a necessary thing considering the big theme of Firis is to explore... I expect the world map to be positively enormous.

Glad to see Sophie's alchemy system is back. I haven't dived as deep into it as I'd like, but anything is better than the last few systems of the last trilogy, IMO.

This is one of the few times where it looks like the alchemy system and the battle system both look really entertaining. I'm starting to get pretty excited about Firis now!

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    http://www.siliconera.com/2016/11/23/atelier-firis-brews-pc-release-via-steam-spring-2017/
    Some of you caught the Steam logo in Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey’s localization announcement trailer, and Koei Tecmo has followed up with a thumbs up on the PC release.

Cx8pHG7WEAAhNHs.jpg

As seen in the image below that was shown at the end of the trailer, in addition to the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita versions, Koei Tecmo confirmed that game is also headed to PC via Steam. This makes it the first Atelier game to be on PC since the earlier ports of Atelier Marie: The Alchemist of Salburg and Atelier Elie: The Alchemist of Salburg 2 in 2000.

Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey releases in North America and Europe in Spring 2017 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, and PC.

• Options
    I dunno if I'd buy it on Steam rather than on PS4, but I approve of the games being on more platforms.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Atelier Firis and Yuri Sideboob Simu- er, Nights of Azure are coming to Steam in February. Firis is confirmed coming to Steam "later in 2017".

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/13/nights-azure-atelier-sophie-headed-pc-via-steam-february-7-2017/
    Koei Tecmo announced today that two Gust titles in Nights of Azure and Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book are headed to PC via Steam starting February 7, 2017.

This marks the first two Gust titles headed to PC, which will also be followed by Atelier Firis later in 2017.