As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Every [presidential election] is funny, as long as it's happening to somebody else

19495969798100»

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    As we all know, your words and deeds mean nothing for how much you love your country, only the number of flags you have in your camera shot.

Well, yeah. Remember the controversy over Obama not having a flag lapel pin?

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21138728/ns/politics-decision_08/t/obama-stops-wearing-american-flag-pin/

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    On a forums-related note, we need to fill up 7 more pages so we're not swapping threads mid-stream tonight.

mission_accomplish_1112950c.jpg

@Mugsley we did it buddy!

• A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    It's sad that the GOP is perfectly fine being a tool for a foreign government as long as the democrats don't win. Like way to be for america guys.

Well if you recall, Mr Pence laid out his loyalties in order, and America wasn't even #2.

Mr Trump, of course, is only loyal to one thing.

But the DNC was unpatriotic because it had no American flags.

The Republican party: all about the signs and symbols, never about substantive content.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Yeah no cyber security is 100% and if someone wants something and are determined they can probably get it.

Sure there is.

Put a computer in a locked room with no electricity and no power button.

Boom.

nice to see you've even got some redundancy built into that system to be extra safe. can't be to careful after all.

Put the locked room in a Kmart.

Nobody ever goes there.

hey I go in kmart

it's nice an empty on black friday

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Trump's speech didn't have real American flags either. Just an image of a bad cut/paste/mirror image behind him!

You could clearly see the seam and the exact same flags on both sides.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Yeah I mean I admit I thought most of the email shit has been nothing burgers but the greatest scandal out of this one has been the obvious russian political maneuvering.

Which in my experience so far, many shrug it off as the DNC deflecting.

DNC doesn't do apparently goosey things, and the hacks mean nothing. The Russian angle is scary, and potentially has legs, but it doesn't take away from the narrative that the emails perpetuate.

The GOP somehow managed to twist the fact that Obama eats mustard as a bad thing.

I love your confidence in thinking that in in a data dump of tens of thousands of individual emails, we shouldn't expect to see anything that could even possibly be misconstrued as as bad even when cherry picked and quoted completely out of context with an inflammatory headline added by criminal propagandists with an agenda.

This includes normal things that the public doesn't understand because they don't work in the industry, figures of speech, etc.

Imagine if someone from the DNC said watched the convention and said, "Can we get Michelle Obama to run for president?" And then Russian hackers used this as "proof" that the the DNC was totally biased and trying to rig the primaries in Michelle's favor, which is definitive proof of cronyism and corruption. That's basically what the email leaks amount to.

Russian Propagandists are very good at what they do, and they obtained this information illegally with no obligation to present it fairly. So simply saying that the leaks look bad isn't good enough. You have to point to actual substance.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Yeah no cyber security is 100% and if someone wants something and are determined they can probably get it.

About the only way would be to put it in a safe, fill the safe with concrete, shut the safe, give it a random combination, and then dump it in the Mariana Trench.

And even then....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWwZnLM1U8I

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    My mom lost sympathy for the poors 30 seconds after she stopped being a poor.

That's gotta be a record, have you called Guinness?

Guinness only tracks records for things that don't put others at risk.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    What time does day 2 start? Should be soon right?

I just watched that day 1 hype video like 4 times and I'm tearing up so I need to inject more raw convention into my veins.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

I just watched that day 1 hype video like 4 times and I'm tearing up so I need to inject more raw convention into my veins.

its already started, anthem and opening prayer aren't long finished.

The Onion's coverage has been great.

http://www.theonion.com/article/supporters-aggravated-bernie-sanders-didnt-use-dnc-53325
    Supporters Aggravated Bernie Sanders Didn’t Use DNC Speech To Get Voters To Act Against Their Own Self-Interest

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    My mom lost sympathy for the poors 30 seconds after she stopped being a poor.

As did my mom. But then she like... lost all of her money, and still has no sympathy for the poors anymore? It's bizarre. I mean, she has enough to keep her house and she by no means lives in an aura of destitution and mites, but still.

My Dad was the same way when he and my mother were together, but contemporarily, he's mellowed and realized that a lot of the way he was feeling was toxic.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular

About the only way would be to put it in a safe, fill the safe with concrete, shut the safe, give it a random combination, and then dump it in the Mariana Trench.

And even then....

All I need is a high pressure submersible or a robot, probably a robot. Getting the concrete off the drives without damaging them should be fun, but after that getting information off of it should be easy peasy.

Wraith260 wrote: »

its already started, anthem and opening prayer aren't long finished.

So it is! I was looking on the wrong part of youtube. That kentucky lady's speech was pretty good. She was a bit shaky at the start but she found her legs after a bit and I liked how she wrapped it up.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Grimes ran an awful campaign for Senate, sadly.

Anyway, we get nominating speeches for both candidates. Tulsi Gabbard is giving one for Bernie now.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Sleep wrote: »

And even then....

All I need is a high pressure submersible or a robot, probably a robot. Getting the concrete off the drives without damaging them should be fun, but after that getting information off of it should be easy peasy.

Yup. Per previous posts (in particular @Roz ), that puts it out of the realm of (most) private entities, but not state actors. Glomar Explorer, anyone?

Commander Zoom on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Secretary of Fire

Chief of Department of Shade.

She could solve global warming from there too with the amount she was putting out.

steam_sig.png
    Heh, this IBEW guy is maybe the 2nd most stereotypical person at the convention so far after the south philly rep yesterday.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    All i can say is colluding with or benefiting from the actions of foreign interests to achieve what seems to be a mutually beneficial goal smacks of, if not treason, then foul play. I understand that countries keep am eye out for their own interests when it comes to espionage, i just don't know if it's ever been this blatantly obvious before in recent times.

I guess the Republicans are so wrapped up in the airs of being patriotic that they're willing to allow foreign actors to help them. Wonder what the mental gymnastics are on that, considering the isolationist angle they have been pursuing under Trump.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Hi there, Americans! I'm jumping into your election thread to pass on a quick message from your dear friends in Ireland.

It appears in the wake of your First Lady's speech (which was epic by the way) a storm of rage has been unleashed upon the internets. The main thrust of this collective teeth gnashing seems to be the following assertions:

1) The Irish built the White House
    2) The Irish were kept as slaves as well as Black slaves (some say the Irish were enslaved first)
    3) Irish slaves were treated far worse than Black slaves

As someone born, raised and currently living in Ireland who was taught Irish history in detail as part of our national school curriculum growing up and has kept on an interest in it in the years since, I would like to offer the following minor clarification on these points.

IRISH PEOPLE WERE NOT SLAVES!

EVER!

THAT IS BULLSHIT!

*cough* ...and alas, while we built many fine buildings in the US and other countries, we can't claim the White House as the fruits of our labour. It was indeed built primarily by Black labourers, some free, most not.

Now, I have no doubt that there are historical sources out there claiming that there was a slave trade in Irish slaves. I've come across a couple myself - always online, never in a library. Invariably, when these sources are examined in any detail, they turn out to be bullshit wildly inaccurate. This hasn't stopped a great many people mistakingly accepting the notion of "Irish Slaves" as historical fact. You might even, on occasion, come across a true born Irish person like myself who has read about it / heard about it and assumes it to be true.

There is a quick two second method for debunking this fact.

Ask them "What did your teacher tell you about it in school?"

Irish history is long, rich and varied and is taught to us from Primary School (I think you call it Middle School?) onwards. We don't shy away from any shitty things that have happened to us, and a more than a few shitty things have happened to us (not naming any Great Famines and not looking at any British people who have wandered into the thread) but I can promise you that you will NEVER find an Irish history textbook with a single chapter on Irish Slavery. Except possibly in Texas. But that's not our problem. Irish people weren't slaves.

We WERE slavers, however. I'm not just talking about the Irish emigrants who bought plantations and owned black slaves in the US, I'm talking early Irish history. Fun fact! Slavery is how we got our national Saint, our beloved Saint Patrick himself. He wasn't actually Irish. He was a Breton who was kidnapped by pirates and sold to an Irish farmer as a slave. You can read more about his whacky adventures as a slave in 5th century Ireland at your local library. He wrote quite a detailed account of it himself.

I'm bringing all this up because the collective wailing on Twitter has given birth to an #IrishLivesMatter hashtag.

No. I'm not kidding.

So, as an Irish person, my message is this: If you truly believe that Irish lives matter, please do not elect a man who is quite clearly stupid enough to nuke Ireland because he's mixed us up with Iran.

Thank you for your time, and please feel free to pass this post along to any racist idiots mistaken souls you may encounter online.

I continue to not like the political revolution talk, especially when it's so hollow.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    All i can say is colluding with or benefiting from the actions of foreign interests to achieve what seems to be a mutually beneficial goal smacks of, if not treason, then foul play. I understand that countries keep am eye out for their own interests when it comes to espionage, i just don't know if it's ever been this blatantly obvious before in recent times.

I guess the Republicans are so wrapped up in the airs of being patriotic that they're willing to allow foreign actors to help them. Wonder what the mental gymnastics are on that, considering the isolationist angle they have been pursuing under Trump.

As near as I can tell, the important thing for modern Republicans is that the Democratic Party are The Enemy™. Everything else is secondary.

I continue to not like the political revolution talk, especially when it's so hollow.

Eh, revolution has no real meaning. They mean they're a movement.

@Elki should we make a new thread?

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    If there is proven collusion it's almost certainly treason. With the defining characteristic being whether or not the foreign state is an "enemy". But more or less any state that is engaged in sabotaging a free election should be by definition enemy. I can't see how it could be anything but.

Benefitting from is another bag since you can't really control how third parties act.

wbBv3fj.png
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Clinton nominating speech now, and I expect boos from the assholes

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    Mikulski nominating her seems appropriate.

I doubt there is any collusion between Russia and Trump so much as Russia doing things that benefit Trump and Trump likely being too stupid to understand.

I just wish they would at least treat the hack and release of data as a real issue. They could bring up the contents of the emails while acknowledging that Russian hacking and then the release of the data is a real possibility and serious.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Not sure if it was brought up, but Sunday's Doonesbury was the Cleveland reaction in a nutshell.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Hi there, Americans! I'm jumping into your election thread to pass on a quick message from your dear friends in Ireland.

It appears in the wake of your First Lady's speech (which was epic by the way) a storm of rage has been unleashed upon the internets. The main thrust of this collective teeth gnashing seems to be the following assertions:

1) The Irish built the White House
    2) The Irish were kept as slaves as well as Black slaves (some say the Irish were enslaved first)
    3) Irish slaves were treated far worse than Black slaves

As someone born, raised and currently living in Ireland who was taught Irish history in detail as part of our national school curriculum growing up and has kept on an interest in it in the years since, I would like to offer the following minor clarification on these points.

IRISH PEOPLE WERE NOT SLAVES!

EVER!

THAT IS BULLSHIT!

*cough* ...and alas, while we built many fine buildings in the US and other countries, we can't claim the White House as the fruits of our labour. It was indeed built primarily by Black labourers, some free, most not.

Now, I have no doubt that there are historical sources out there claiming that there was a slave trade in Irish slaves. I've come across a couple myself - always online, never in a library. Invariably, when these sources are examined in any detail, they turn out to be bullshit wildly inaccurate. This hasn't stopped a great many people mistakingly accepting the notion of "Irish Slaves" as historical fact. You might even, on occasion, come across a true born Irish person like myself who has read about it / heard about it and assumes it to be true.

There is a quick two second method for debunking this fact.

Ask them "What did your teacher tell you about it in school?"

Irish history is long, rich and varied and is taught to us from Primary School (I think you call it Middle School?) onwards. We don't shy away from any shitty things that have happened to us, and a more than a few shitty things have happened to us (not naming any Great Famines and not looking at any British people who have wandered into the thread) but I can promise you that you will NEVER find an Irish history textbook with a single chapter on Irish Slavery. Except possibly in Texas. But that's not our problem. Irish people weren't slaves.

We WERE slavers, however. I'm not just talking about the Irish emigrants who bought plantations and owned black slaves in the US, I'm talking early Irish history. Fun fact! Slavery is how we got our national Saint, our beloved Saint Patrick himself. He wasn't actually Irish. He was a Breton who was kidnapped by pirates and sold to an Irish farmer as a slave. You can read more about his whacky adventures as a slave in 5th century Ireland at your local library. He wrote quite a detailed account of it himself.

I'm bringing all this up because the collective wailing on Twitter has given birth to an #IrishLivesMatter hashtag.

No. I'm not kidding.

So, as an Irish person, my message is this: If you truly believe that Irish lives matter, please do not elect a man who is quite clearly stupid enough to nuke Ireland because he's mixed us up with Iran.

Thank you for your time, and please feel free to pass this post along to any racist idiots mistaken souls you may encounter online.

Jesus fucking wept.

sig.gif
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    If the assholes are booing, they're definitely being drowned out by Clinton supporters and the non-asshole Bernie supporters, and I sigh a sigh of relief

edit
    John Lewis with the second WOOO

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Heh, this IBEW guy is maybe the 2nd most stereotypical person at the convention so far after the south philly rep yesterday.

boston mayor too

not being mean, I don't think you are either but I want to be clear

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Not sure if it was brought up, but Sunday's Doonesbury was the Cleveland reaction in a nutshell.

First frame has more political comment than I expected.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    537310290_xqDx4-2100x20000.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.