As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Final Fantasy 11! Wings of the Goddess annoncenced!

• XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    When you edit your registry for a higher resolution you always want the two numbers to match up.

I know, I know, this flies in the face of every other game in history where you want a correct aspect ratio.

But for FFXI you don't, set it to like 1024x1024 or if you have a beefier machine 2048x2048 (which is the highest it supports). What you do is in the in-game menus (not the config tool, and not the reg edit), select the aspect ratio for whatever your monitor happens to be, either 16:9 or 16:10 depending.

The game will automatically adjust everything to be the proper size.

If you try to manually edit the aspect ratio in the registry, it's virtually impossible to get the "correct" dimensions in-game because there's no 1:1 aspect you can choose in the menu. Everything will always be too thin or too fat.

So do it right! :P
    Thanks a ton! :D

Xabora on
  • ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    etoychest wrote: »
    Xhero wrote: »
    Another fanfest attender here. :3

Just ordered room service for breakfast, and about had a heart attack at how expensive it is in this hotel. Anyway, cobbling together questions for the devs now.

Can you ask why it is Dragoons who have always worn heavy armor in every previous Final Fantasy aren't allowed to wear the Hauberk/Byrnie tier in this game?

Do they have any intentions of bringing back the more involved formula of using Skill Chains and following up with Magic Bursts?

Do they have plans to make leveling in the older areas more viable again? The signet change was a plus, but it's still directly inferior to ToAU areas.

Do they still intend to implement to search for a party under multiple jobs?

And finally, this one a lot of people are interested in by the way, will this expansion finally introduce gear that can outclass the original Wyrms and Tu'Lia Gods drops?

Coldbrand on
  • GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Why would they need to change dragoon at all? They just got a huge buff last patch with all the other two-handed weapon users, and they've gotten new job abilities and traits to play with too. I can't imagine why they'd suddenly change armor classes to let dragoons play with hauberks alongside warriors and dark knights, either.

The skill chain and magic burst is really more of an issue with the players, not the development team.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Why would they need to change dragoon at all? They just got a huge buff last patch with all the other two-handed weapon users, and they've gotten new job abilities and traits to play with too. I can't imagine why they'd suddenly change armor classes to let dragoons play with hauberks alongside warriors and dark knights, either.

The skill chain and magic burst is really more of an issue with the players, not the development team.

I want to know what Square Enix's explanation is for that particular inconsistency.

And no, it actually is the developer's fault because they created areas where it is more effective to TP burn than play traditionally.

Coldbrand on
  • MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Official Windower goes live on 11/20. Good times.

Murphy on
    edited November 2007
    Murphy wrote: »
    Official Windower goes live on 11/20. Good times.

I have a feeling I'll still be using the "illegal" windower come 11/20 unless SE really impresses me with some new plugins and/or UI interface design for them.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Same. That is if I keep playing. My schedule is kicking my ass. But I think that many people will stick with the current windower.

Murphy on
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Maybe it's because I'm still new at this, but I'd like to see them implement more "classic" jobs

I'd like to see Time Mages, Geomancers, and Knights specifically, but there are probably other good jobs that I'm just not thinking of right now

EDIT: and maybe these jobs aren't needed at all, like I said I'm new at this

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Geomancer, yes please. That's the one class I've been wanting so bad since launch.

That could probably get me to play again.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Coldbrand wrote: »

I want to know what Square Enix's explanation is for that particular inconsistency.

And no, it actually is the developer's fault because they created areas where it is more effective to TP burn than play traditionally.

The interview was cut short, so we didn't get to nearly all of our questions, but you will be able to read the story on Massively this weekend I'd wager. Also...

http://www.massively.com/photos/final-fantasy-fan-festival-2007/494738/

I'm such a dork.

etoychest on
  • XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    guys the new jobs are really neat :o

Xhero on
    edited November 2007
    neat and complicated :) but you vets are gonna enjoy them. Also, the updates being added to existing jobs are cool too, except for maybe the Samurai, which is getting weakened a bit. I particularly like the Ranger's tweak, as he'll now have the ability to do more damage with his bow the further away he is from the target.

etoychest on
    edited November 2007
    SE wrote:
    Samurai - The concept here is a job that gains fast TP through use of things like StoreTP, Meditate, and Soboro Sukehiro. Due to the last update, the balance between jobs has been thrown off, and Wings of the Goddess will work to correct that. Abilities will be added to enhance skillchains by lowering their resist rate and boosting their damage.
    Enjoy it while it lasts, samurai

Hundreds of unwashed, butt hurt dual wielders are job changing and leveling SAM right now!

ahahaha
    Please SE, make some other job awesome so we don't have to deal with the slobbering masses of bandwagoners

Guys, SE heard me all the way from page 22 and gave me what I wanted.

This is a mixed blessing.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, I just got to 50 with my black mage. Hooray, fanfare, etc etc etc.

If anyone is on pandemonium but me, I'll trade my soul for help running g1. Well... maybe not my soul, but you'll have my undying love.

Also, somebody better put a copy of freeze up on the AH soon. I demand my ancient magics.

I hear, through the grapevine, that we're getting Warpga in the expansion. Now, I'm all for somebody fixing my desire to blow my two hour just to send people home at the end of the night. Not originally having a group version of D2 was silly, and its getting fixed, so I hear. Is that all we get? Where are people getting their info? I want to know if I should be outraged or overjoyed.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • DeliasDelias Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    All I have to say is if they let the scholars get their greasy paws on Warp or the Tele's, I demand being thrown a bone! Too long has my 29Rdm had to walk/chocobo everywhere!

Btw I'm on Midgardsormr, so no way I'd be able to help out, even if I was high enough. D:

Delias on
    darleysam wrote: »
    Wrex has no problem taking cover. Cover has a problem taking Wrex.

SWTOR - Elysium
    League of Legends Handle - Siegfreid
    WoW - Siegfreid
    FFXIV - Maxim
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What are the new jobs anyway?

Transporter on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Scholar (support class for mages) and Dancer (front line healer.)

Here's a 1up preview about the expansion.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Scholar (support class for mages) and Dancer (front line healer.)

Here's a 1up preview about the expansion.

MITHRA DANCER YES.

Goddamit now I have to pick it up.

Transporter on
    edited November 2007
    My rough timeline for SE's "fixes" for two-handed weapon jobs:
    • SE: Hey, uh, we're giving you guys grips and a buff
    • Players: OH WOW SAMURAI CAN SOLO KIRIN WTF AWESOME
    • SE: ok, we screwed up, nerfing you slightly
    • Players: Well, this isn't so bad, now we're on a level playing field with dual-wielders at least
    • SE: Ha ha, nerf time again you two-handed jackasses
    • Samurai: But... but... my weaponskills!
    • Dark Knight: You nerfed Guillotine before, unnerf it now since you're unbuffing us!
    • SE: What's that, Dark Knights? I can't hear you over the sound of the players' suffering

Bravo, SE.

EDIT: For clarification they're "adjusting" two-handed weapons again in today's update, they've only tried fixing it twice before

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EricKeiEricKei Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Arcibi wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I'm still new at this, but I'd like to see them implement more "classic" jobs

I'd like to see Time Mages, Geomancers, and Knights specifically, but there are probably other good jobs that I'm just not thinking of right now

Quite alright ;)

Well, I'm sure the ups and downs of GEO and TIM (Timmy, or the Enchanter?) have been hashed out/flamed over looooong ago, so I won't go there. Knight is technically already in the game -- That's the Japanese name for the Job we call Paladin.

EricKei on
    "Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them, the rest of us could hardly succeed." ~ Mark Twain
    Goozex referral pimp sig, click Spoiler to see it.
    EricKei.png
  • XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Guys.

A Dancer using Aspir Samba lets mages melee their MP back.

Xhero on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Guys.

Different, sure. But is that even a good idea?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited November 2007
    Guys.

Different, sure. But is that even a good idea?

Downtime is the reason why BM/SMN don't get merit parties.

I mean, if this eliminates it, oh god.

Transporter on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    I am not against the result, I am just wondering if it won't end up resulting in yet more downtime in P.U.G.s when some idiot manages to catch a flattening.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited November 2007
    You should know best that idiots don't exist after level 37.

And if they do we kill them dead and they are never heard from again.

Transporter on
    edited November 2007
    Yes, true.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    EricKei wrote: »
    Arcibi wrote: »

Quite alright ;)

Well, I'm sure the ups and downs of GEO and TIM (Timmy, or the Enchanter?) have been hashed out/flamed over looooong ago, so I won't go there. Knight is technically already in the game -- That's the Japanese name for the Job we call Paladin.

To be honest I really want Geomancers because they were my favorite job in Final Fantasy Tactics

Also when I think Knight I think of stat breaks and Cover

Oh oh oh

What if my Knights and Black Mages could team up to do Magic Sword attacks

Just like Vivi and Steiner

Somebody fund this

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
    edited November 2007
    Ugh, SE's official windower is utter garbage. My framerate took a nosedive and all the text takes 2-3 seconds to register on the screen, in game and outside the windower.

It baffles me how SE can make an official windower that's worse than a player made one.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Ugh, SE's official windower is utter garbage. My framerate took a nosedive and all the text takes 2-3 seconds to register on the screen, in game and outside the windower.

It baffles me how SE can make an official windower that's worse than a player made one.

You figure all they would have to do is remove the crash-on-alt-tab check.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

37? Christ, I barely made it past 7 before I was tired of playing.

Something about losing a level about 4 or 5 times in a row right after gaining it seemed like some sort of sick joke. Also, having to party just to level is pretty ballsy. The control system irked me, but I Guess that's what happens when they don't make a new design based on a keyboard. Having almost no chance at escaping a losing battle got old pretty fast, as well, especially considering I had a good chance at getting killed in any given fight. I got sick of the game just from the demo. I guess I've been kind of spoiled to death by WoW.

Yeah, how fucking long has that been in the game anyway? It can't be something that's been occurring since the game came out.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited November 2007
    Goatmon wrote: »

Something about losing a level about 4 or 5 times in a row right after gaining it seemed like some sort of sick joke. Also, having to party just to level is pretty ballsy. The control system irked me, but I Guess that's what happens when they don't make a new design based on a keyboard. Having almost no chance at escaping a losing battle got old pretty fast, as well, especially considering I had a good chance at getting killed in any given fight. I got sick of the game just from the demo. I guess I've been kind of spoiled to death by WoW.

Yeah, how fucking long has that been in the game anyway? It can't be something that's been occurring since the game came out.

Yes it has. Prior to the built-in windower, it was functioning as intended. Having not seen the new built-in wondower in action (I need to reinstall) I can't say how it works now.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited November 2007

Yes it has. Prior to the built-in windower, it was functioning as intended. Having not seen the new built-in wondower in action (I need to reinstall) I can't say how it works now.
    It sounds to me like you're an awful player honestly. Four or five times? Christ.

Coldbrand on
    edited November 2007
    Coldbrand wrote: »

It sounds to me like you're an awful player honestly. Four or five times? Christ.

I don't think I have ever done it more than twice, and that was an absolutly shit-tastic day.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Evil_PigEvil_Pig Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I remember when it came out for the 360 BETA.

I was one of the first peopel to play, so EVERYBODY had level 1s and such.

West Ronfaur was SO crowded you could NOT geta mob. There was 10 ppl per mob spawn at any given location.

For me, not knowing ANYTHING about the game from what "Check" meant to what job should use what weapon, I deleved quit a few times.

You would really attack the first mob you saw, regardless of what they "checked" because you didn't have time. The only reason I could level was because of "Provoke" and yeah, from levels 5-7 I would go back and forth from 6 to 7 or 5 to 6 or whatever.

But really, could you blame me?

Evil_Pig on
    edited November 2007
    I totally could and do.

Ok, maybe not.

So, um, slight change of subject. Despite my brave face over the past few weeks, my LS is slowly draining my will to live. There's nothing really the matter, except that people don't really do anything together, and planning an event is like herding cats. Unfortunately, I'm stuck on Kujata until January. Good times.

Murphy on
    edited November 2007
    I am debating a server move. Carbuncle doesn't really hold anything for me right now.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited November 2007
    Ugh, such an agonizing patch system. I don't know, thirty minutes to an hour to scan all 20k files in the directory and nine hours to download the 11.2k that need to be updated...

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited November 2007
    Ugh, such an agonizing patch system. I don't know, thirty minutes to an hour to scan all 20k files in the directory and nine hours to download the 11.2k that need to be updated...

Did you open PlayOnline using the Windower 3.3 program? I've heard downloading the patch through the (unofficial) Windower can increase the time it takes.

Also, this entire patch is a mess. There are a ton of bugs like extreme lag when using a USB keyboard or mouse, the official windower not working well, monsters using TP attacks at an abnormal rate and reraise effects not working properly, just to name a few. Not sure if I'll be playing til they fix all the bugs they introduced in the last patch. To top it all off, the PC version of Wings of the Goddess has been delayed... but only the NA versions, apparently. Don't worry, the JP will be able to log in immediately and take advantage of any money-making opportunities, just like Chains of Promathia.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    I have not installed a windower. This is just the basic game install from the last time I re-shuffled my hard drive around.

My experience is that if you try to patch the game with a 3rd party windower the patch will fail.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited November 2007
    Pictures I took from the Fan Festival (excep that first one, which was a shot one of the photographers there took):

http://www.massively.com/2007/11/20/final-fantasy-xi-fan-fest-2007-gallery-from-cosplay-to-concert/

etoychest on
This discussion has been closed.