As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Parliament/[CHAT]adelic

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    It's really hard and dodgy to try and like, assign an age where it's "okay" or "not okay" to breastfeed a child. If there's a line, it is super super super blurry, especially given the rapid rate of development at those young ages. I think it's at best one of those "know it when you see it" things, but I think people tend to way over-generalize that.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    The "moving on to solid foods" thing, though..... isn't it recommended kids drink milk, still?

Is that no longer a thing?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    breast milk is surprisingly sweet/tasty tho

something I found out by accident

hey man, sometimes you gotta suck dem titties, mirite

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I should keep a dream journal by my bed. Aided by my medication, I keep having the most vivid, fascinating dreams.

I don't remember much about last night's now, but my brother and I were returning from a gala, and I had borrowed a suit from him, so we were debating whether I should just have the suit cleaned and returned to him, but he decided we should just destroy it.

"After all," he said, "You did just die in it."

I keep dreaming up these intriguing fictitious worlds that I could write about while I continue to shy away from writing what I SHOULD be writing, which is my memoir and story about struggling through the mental health system for the past decade.

But anyway hello! And good morning, [chat], I hope you're doing well, and that the spectre of what you should be doing isn't looming too large over you today.

If you destroy a suit in a dream you destroy it in real life

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Every joke quote/reply I've just written out has come off as too creepy to post.

I am staying silent.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    breast milk is surprisingly sweet/tasty tho

something I found out by accident

Alright, Ross.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I should keep a dream journal by my bed. Aided by my medication, I keep having the most vivid, fascinating dreams.

I don't remember much about last night's now, but my brother and I were returning from a gala, and I had borrowed a suit from him, so we were debating whether I should just have the suit cleaned and returned to him, but he decided we should just destroy it.

"After all," he said, "You did just die in it."

I keep dreaming up these intriguing fictitious worlds that I could write about while I continue to shy away from writing what I SHOULD be writing, which is my memoir and story about struggling through the mental health system for the past decade.

But anyway hello! And good morning, [chat], I hope you're doing well, and that the spectre of what you should be doing isn't looming too large over you today.

If you destroy a suit in a dream you destroy it in real life

Depends on the suit's color.

Black / navy? No.

Red and green striped? Yes.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The "moving on to solid foods" thing, though..... isn't it recommended kids drink milk, still?

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

Cow's milk is not a replacement for breast milk. Breast milk is for nutrition of a child that can't eat a proper diet yet. Cow's milk is something we eat as a nutritional supplement.

You don't have to drink cows milk at all once you're eating solid food.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    That One Where Sir Landshark Chugs a Gallon of Breast Milk

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    i can only imagine what happens when shark's kids are old enough to browse the internet

"ok ok, but did you know your dad once said THIS" *dramatic flourish*

"OH MY GOD WHY"

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

Cow's milk is not a replacement for breast milk. Breast milk is for nutrition of a child that can't eat a proper diet yet. Cow's milk is something we eat as a nutritional supplement.

Yeah, but it's still recommended for you to drink.

So why would it be weird for a kid to drink human milk instead of cow milk after 2?

Yeah, i know, i'm being a creepo, i'll stop.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    i still breastfeed

• Options
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Sometimes I worry about you, [chat]

I worry for your doge and his ridiculous costumes

He's into it!
    hP1KX55l.jpg

• Options

He's into it!
    hP1KX55l.jpg

Stockholm syndrome.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    desc wrote: »
    Why subject yourself to meaningless puff pieces designed to get you mad

I saw the headline and photo and nope'd right by

I'm reading about the campaign trail in the 1970s again, like a respectable person.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Why is breastfeeding a toddler wrong, again?

It's not wrong, it's weird.

You can breastfeed and adult.

there are guys on wall street that will pay $10,000 a night for that

was gonna say...

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    My opinion on breastfeeding is that I have literally no stake in apply arbitrary standards of when it is and isn't ok to breastfeed, outside of some evidence of actual harm to a child.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Yeah, but it's still recommended for you to drink.

So why would it be weird for a kid to drink human milk instead of cow milk after 2?

Yeah, i know, i'm being a creepo, i'll stop.

I already said dude. cultural norms. it creeps people out because it's not normally done.

shrug

if I had to guess, I'd say there isn't a big deal either way in terms of health/psychological factors. but most parents want to be done sooner rather than later cuz it's kind of a pain (and also puts a damper on sexytimes cuz the breasts are always swollen/tender and shit like blocked ducts is painful)

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

He's into it!
    hP1KX55l.jpg

look deep into those eyes

every image is a silent cry for help

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I posit that it is actually not at all weird to breastfeed children up to much older ages than people think, except for our culture's stigmatization of breastfeeding in general as something vaguely inappropriate.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I posit that it is actually not at all weird to breastfeed children up to much older ages than people think, except for our culture's stigmatization of breastfeeding in general as something vaguely inappropriate.

I feel like breastfeeding babbies isn't really stigmatized all that much anymore in the US. if anything, I feel like you are more likely to be judged for not doing it these days. but idk, just my gut feeling on the matter based on personal experience.

Sir Landshark on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

Ding ding.

It's caus boobs.

If it didn't involve boobs it wouldn't be a big deal.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

I thought it had something to do with society's fear of arrested development. Time to move on, baby, time to grow up.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

There's nothing actually special about milk, so kids might as well have whatever instead of milk. But then again, might as well drink milk.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    When I see someone breastfeeding in public under a blanket I always get anxious whether or not I stared too much. Oh god I'm just processing the situation did I look away quickly enough?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I love how american cultural norms on breastfeeding are currently:
    1. You're a monster if you don't breastfeed your children.
    2. You're a gross if you breastfeed in public.

thanks america!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I'm not gonna argue about there being puritanical distaste there but at the same time... Moms who breastfeed kids that can talk usually hate vaccines and think crystals are magic. Just sayin!

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

It's not "wrong".

But it's like leaving a kid in diapers to 5. You can teach them how to live in society, so why not?

• Options

He's into it!
    hP1KX55l.jpg

look deep into those eyes

every image is a silent cry for help

Don't think that beasties haven't retaliated before:
    vjvIrx0l.jpg

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I remember reading about some stats on the developmental benefits of breastfeeding up to certain ages. Think there was some kind of diminishing returns at five or six months.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Like Hobbes, Montesquieu turned to fear as a foundation for politics. Montesquieu was never explicit about this; Hobbesian candor was not his style. But in the same way that the fear of the state of nature was supposed to authorize Leviathan, the fear of despotism was meant to authorize Montesquieu’s liberal state.

Just as Hobbes depicted fear in the state of nature as a crippling emotion, Montesquieu depicted despotic terror as an all-consuming passion, reducing the individual to the raw apprehension of physical destruction. In both cases, the fear of a more radical, more debilitating form of fear was meant to inspire the individual to submit to a more civilized, protective state.

Why would a liberal opposed to the Hobbesian vision of absolute power resort to such a Hobbesian style of argument? Because Montesquieu, like Hobbes, lacked a positive conception of human ends, true for all people, to ground his political vision.

Montesquieu’s liberalism was not the egalitarian liberalism of the century to come, nor was it the conscience-stricken protoliberalism of the century it had left behind. Unlike Locke, whose argument for toleration was powered by a vision of religious truth, and unlike later figures such as Rousseau or Mill, whose arguments for freedom were driven by secular visions of human flourishing, Montesquieu pursued no beckoning light. He wrote in that limbo period separating two ages of revolution, when weariness with dogma and wariness of absolutism made positive commitments difficult to come by and even more difficult to sustain. His was a skeptical liberalism: ironic, worldly, elegant—and desperately in need of justification.

Despotic terror supplied that justification, lending his vision of limited government moral immediacy, pumping blood into what might otherwise have seemed a bloodless politics. Montesquieu did not know—and did not care to enquire—whether we were free and equal, but he did know that terror was awful and had to be resisted. Thus was liberalism born in opposition to terror—and at the same time yoked to its menacing shadow.

But hitching liberalism to terror came at a price: It obscured the realities of political fear.

Montesquieu painted an almost cartoonish picture of terror, complete with a brutish despot straight out of central casting, and brutalized subjects, so crazed by terror they couldn’t think of or for themselves. So did he overlook the possibility that the very contrivances he recommended as antidotes to terror—toleration, mediating institutions, and social pluralism—could be mobilized on its behalf….

The polemical impulse behind his account was clear: If Montesquieu could show that despotic terror destroyed everything men held dear, and if he could show that terror possessed none of the attributes of a liberal polity, terror could serve as the negative foundation of liberal government. The more malignant the regime, the more promising its liberal alternative. Built into Montesquieu’s argument, then, was a necessary exaggeration of the evil against which it was arrayed.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    This is all leading up to how 21st still breastfeeds

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    That One Where Sir Landshark Chugs a Gallon of Breast Milk

I'm sure this is a Japanese game show

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    I love how american cultural norms on breastfeeding are currently:
    1. You're a monster if you don't breastfeed your children.
    2. You're a gross if you breastfeed in public.

thanks america!

This cultural norm was brought to you by America

America: you get it coming and going.

• Options
    omg grape ape you're gonna make me die of cute again

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    i posit that once you are old enough to have memories, you dont want one to be suckling your mom's boobie

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    a
    navgoose wrote: »

It's not "wrong".

But it's like leaving a kid in diapers to 5. You can teach them how to live in society, so why not?

our 5 year old still wears diapers to bed

washing sheets just too much of a pain right now

This discussion has been closed.