As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Parliament/[CHAT]adelic

19495969798100»

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    If you use Active Directory extensively or have a Microsoft heavy corporate environment, then sure, you need to use a VM or partition the disk and install Windows. Both of which are fairly easy activities and you should learn to do!

And if not learn about managing Macs in a corporate setting. It works, it's fine, but it is different.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    mac is best fyi hth

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    "Blameless Cleric" use disk utility

the shameful part is like 4 IT professionals here didn't know about the existence of Disk Utility

tbf she is a Mac, why would an IT know about a Mac?

Something I've never understood is the way most IT guys seem actually proud about not knowing anything about Macs. Theyre actually pretty popular machines and have an interesting architecture! Apple's policy of throwing everything out every 5 years makes their OS super modern and a really interesting example of design ideas that haven't made their way to Windows yet. It's cool to see what can happen when APIs are allowed to make breaking changes whenever. Apple's machines are interesting to know about, at least as interesting as information technology gets, and yet for some reason knowledge of them and desire to know anything about them seems to be pegged at zero amongst IT professionals.

Age probably. Most of us were trained or working during the times before Apple's revival. When Macs were not only a huge pain in the ass, but such a small market share that doing the extensive training to learn them simply wasn't worth the time unless you were specifically going to focus on supporting Macs.

And I think this attitude has filtered down the line. And even now that Macs are perfectly good machines. Their cost and work integrating into an enterprise environment still makes them a small market share. And a lot of IT guys still just learn what they have to to support some business.

Yeah, for enterprise stuff you tend to see either all macs or no macs

It's not super common to have things mixed because there have historically been a lot of problems with that.

I think you also tend to see macs professionally in schools a lot more. so IT guys who work for universities or school districts tend to do more work with macs

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    it's true that only a minority of people know anything about macs, but that is historically because only a small percentage of us are actually good people

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

the shameful part is like 4 IT professionals here didn't know about the existence of Disk Utility

Something I've never understood is the way most IT guys seem actually proud about not knowing anything about Macs. Theyre actually pretty popular machines and have an interesting architecture! Apple's policy of throwing everything out every 5 years makes their OS super modern and a really interesting example of design ideas that haven't made their way to Windows yet. It's cool to see what can happen when APIs are allowed to make breaking changes whenever. Apple's machines are interesting to know about, at least as interesting as information technology gets, and yet for some reason knowledge of them and desire to know anything about them seems to be pegged at zero amongst IT professionals.

Age probably. Most of us were trained or working during the times before Apple's revival. When Macs were not only a huge pain in the ass, but such a small market share that doing the extensive training to learn them simply wasn't worth the time unless you were specifically going to focus on supporting Macs.

And I think this attitude has filtered down the line. And even now that Macs are perfectly good machines. Their cost and work integrating into an enterprise environment still makes them a small market share. And a lot of IT guys still just learn what they have to to support some business.

Yeah, for enterprise stuff you tend to see either all macs or no macs

It's not super common to have things mixed because there have historically been a lot of problems with that.

I think you also tend to see macs professionally in schools a lot more. so IT guys who work for universities or school districts tend to do more work with macs

Eh my last 2 companies have been nearly 50/50 mixes

You join the Macs to your Active Directory and use Casper for Management.

what the big deal?

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »

This scene is more disturbing than most of Siberian Film

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

because they're a constant pain in our ass!

they don't play nice in corporate environments

and inevitably our experiences with them are either special snowflakes wanting us to troubleshoot their personal laptop/phone/tablet, or got forbid when a department does and end-run around IT and gets Macs/iPads for their people then expect us to support them.

I've never had trouble with OSX in the corporate environments. They can be bound to a domain and use UNC network paths and all that.

Older OS9 machines are a fucking nightmare, for sure.

I love working with apple computers. They're a pleasure, even the old ones. OS9 is way more fun to play around with than windows ME or some bullshit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Corporate Mac breastfeeding incest chat incoming

I sense it

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Vanguard wrote: »
    what if psychobilly was actually good and not irritating?

I like to think the good bands (all two of them) don't use that horrible label.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aMBZ1_4Qk8

Yes

Excellent

They are one of two

Who is the 2nd? The Horrorpops?

Yes

(I would have also accepted The Creepshow)

I lurv The Creepshow
    Ah, Creepshow, there was a time when those sort of mini horror anthologies were all over, and awesome. I think I may go on a tales from the crypt/darkside/limits binge

zepherin on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i love in movies when everyone in town knows the same dance routine

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I own like 5 apple devices and 4 PCs (fuck android)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    one of the things that I do like about a lot of psychobilly is that there seem to be a large percentage of lady singers

and i like lady singers

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Chanus wrote: »
    i love in movies when everyone in town knows the same dance routine
    image.jpg

zepherin on
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

I hate Android I realy do

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    chat let's all break into our dance routine!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Macs are evil, terrible, counter intuitive things that don't think you're smart enough to use them.

Seriously, make an html file out of a textedit doc and try to open it. The Mac tells you it was downloaded from the Internet.

Apple is dumb and doesn't want their customers to learn. Booooo.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    RfXn5NB.jpg

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii want a monster

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options

I don't hate android. I really love android. I hate that android devices have absolutely no support after launch. If your Samsung phone doesn't work right after you get it, it will never work right. They kick that shit out and ignore it. Apple continually supports my iphone, often to my annoyance.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I want some McDonalds now.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Macs are evil, terrible, counter intuitive things that don't think you're smart enough to use them.

Seriously, make an html file out of a textedit doc and try to open it. The Mac tells you it was downloaded from the Internet.

as opposed to the hordes of pc users who have proven themselves more than capable of using their machines

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

as opposed to the hordes of pc users who have proven themselves more than capable of using their machines

I wasn't talking about users, so I don't know what you're opposing.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    A true computer quad boots Windows, OSX, and 2 versions of Linux.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I like Windows and I like android

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    what if psychobilly was actually good and not irritating?

I like to think the good bands (all two of them) don't use that horrible label.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aMBZ1_4Qk8

Yes

Excellent

They are one of two

Who is the 2nd? The Horrorpops?

Yes

(I would have also accepted The Creepshow)

I lurv The Creepshow
    Ah, Creepshow, there was a time when those sort of mini horror anthologies were all over, and awesome. I think I may go on a tales from the crypt/darkside/limits binge

I don't think he's talking about the film.

But yes, the movie Creepshow is a favorite of mine. Has been since I was a kid. I still get chills hearing the main theme.

Though the roach part scarred me for life.

• Options

this is the kind of bizarre complaint that can only come from someone deeply entrenched in windows

apple's OS may be a lot of things but counter intuitive is not one of them unless by "intuitive" you mean "the way windows works and what I'm used to after having used it for years"

also, what precisely is the problem here? is this a common occurrence, wanting to make an html file out of a textedit doc?

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

I'm glad Microsoft shows customers the respect they des-

YOUR COMPUTER IS NOW UPDATING TO WINDOWS 10

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

I don't hate android. I really love android. I hate that android devices have absolutely no support after launch. If your Samsung phone doesn't work right after you get it, it will never work right. They kick that shit out and ignore it. Apple continually supports my iphone, often to my annoyance.

This is why I have a Nexus phone

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

This is the fault of Samsung. This isn't the fault of Android. My Nexus 5 is still getting updates, because Google supports it.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I like Windows and I like android

GET OUT

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was careening by at warp 3.6

@nexuscrawler will create the new thread
    @TTODewback is backup

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    540837405_nK8hG-2100x20000.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.