As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm not ready for [Chat]

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:
    Macs are evil, terrible, counter intuitive things that don't think you're smart enough to use them.

Seriously, make an html file out of a textedit doc and try to open it. The Mac tells you it was downloaded from the Internet.

Apple is dumb and doesn't want their customers to learn. Booooo.

This is preposterous. So because Apple's anti malware warnings have a bug or two that makes them dumb and against customers learning. Never mind that you can just click ok in that dialog and view the HTML file. Never mind that you can turn that setting off or that Windows has numerous nearly identical silly security systems that trip up people "trying to learn". Or that Windows hides file extensions by default. Windows pulls this shit just as bad, you just don't notice because you use Windows a lot and probably found every last setting and secret registry key to turn it off.

This is a terrible complaint.

Apple's entire design philosphy has been to lock stuff down so only they have control over it. Windows doesn't do that.

Apple treats you like an idiot, Windows tries to make things user friendly. (And yes, you can disable the Windows 10 update.)

And sure, Windows hides stuff by default. But you can turn it off. Registry keys are hardly secret. Windows at least gives you the option to modify and tinker. Apple tries to make that illegal.

They've been doing this for their entire life cycle. It's the entire philosophy of the company. Booooo I say.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    It'll be exactly two years since I started hrt next week. I keep thinking I might write something to compose all of my thoughts and noticed changes I've felt, less in a physical way, but more mentally and emotionally.

But then I remind myself that would take effort and more importantly, I don't know where I would post such a thing. I mean, I guess I could always just...literally WRITE it all out, but that is SO last willenium.

seems like something perfect for a blog or tumblr?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    *sigh* Okay I guess it's time to upgrade to Windows 10 before the free upgrade expires.

People who have upgraded, anything I should do before or after the upgrade to make sure things run smoothly?

vRyue2p.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I've got nothing relevant to add to this management meeting in 75

Feels bad man

Concoct a foreign plot that threatens France so that Robespierre does not suspect you

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Guinea pigs are bigger than I thought.

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Apple are the big round see-through ones that come in a bunch of different colors like fruits?

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    I think, I dunno, a lot of the resentment towards Apple comes from the fact that they've always been the computer company most interested in ease-of-use - they were the first major company to come out with GUIS and mice and all-in-one machines, their computers used to boot up with this bright friendly smiley face, they've always paid way more attention to the aesthetics of their hardware and their software than other companies, etc, and I think this creates a sense in some hardcore computer circles that Apple is bad because they make stuff for normies and casuals

I think they earned a lot of resentment in the aughts with ad campaigns that were all "if you don't have a mac you're a stupid idiot loser"

which, I mean it works if you're trying to create a premium brand, but it also means all the people who can't afford your brand get justifiably salty about it

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    *sigh* Okay I guess it's time to upgrade to Windows 10 before the free upgrade expires.

People who have upgraded, anything I should do before or after the upgrade to make sure things run smoothly?

Do the upgrade, then do a clean install over it if you have any issues. Typically works fine after that. (Obviously backup all your data)

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I prefer Apples non desktop/notebook devices
    For my normal computing needs they can go eat a dick.

Bless your heart.
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It'll be exactly two years since I started hrt next week. I keep thinking I might write something to compose all of my thoughts and noticed changes I've felt, less in a physical way, but more mentally and emotionally.

But then I remind myself that would take effort and more importantly, I don't know where I would post such a thing. I mean, I guess I could always just...literally WRITE it all out, but that is SO last willenium.

I would just post it in chat

But I also am kind of over it, to a degree

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Wipe your computer. Going from 7 to 10 when I did it (18 months ago, to be fair) was a total nightmare and I just wiped and started from scratch instead.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    What's the concensus on sitting on pre-warmed (by another user) toilet seats?

SniperGuy wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote:
    Macs are evil, terrible, counter intuitive things that don't think you're smart enough to use them.

Seriously, make an html file out of a textedit doc and try to open it. The Mac tells you it was downloaded from the Internet.

This is preposterous. So because Apple's anti malware warnings have a bug or two that makes them dumb and against customers learning. Never mind that you can just click ok in that dialog and view the HTML file. Never mind that you can turn that setting off or that Windows has numerous nearly identical silly security systems that trip up people "trying to learn". Or that Windows hides file extensions by default. Windows pulls this shit just as bad, you just don't notice because you use Windows a lot and probably found every last setting and secret registry key to turn it off.

Apple's entire design philosphy has been to lock stuff down so only they have control over it. Windows doesn't do that.

Apple treats you like an idiot, Windows tries to make things user friendly. (And yes, you can disable the Windows 10 update.)

And sure, Windows hides stuff by default. But you can turn it off. Registry keys are hardly secret. Windows at least gives you the option to modify and tinker. Apple tries to make that illegal.

They've been doing this for their entire life cycle. It's the entire philosophy of the company. Booooo I say.

they lock stuff down because people are idiots

IT guys can access what they've always been able to access with command line and sudo and editing system files

I've seen no appreciable difference between Ubuntu, OSX, or Windows. Just slightly different UI styles.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

(Guy emoji) (lady flipping hair emoji)

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    do you think that donald trump's pillow talk is exactly like his public speech

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I think, I dunno, a lot of the resentment towards Apple comes from the fact that they've always been the computer company most interested in ease-of-use - they were the first major company to come out with GUIS and mice and all-in-one machines, their computers used to boot up with this bright friendly smiley face, they've always paid way more attention to the aesthetics of their hardware and their software than other companies, etc, and I think this creates a sense in some hardcore computer circles that Apple is bad because they make stuff for normies and casuals

Xerox was the first with the GUI. Apple stole it from them, Microsoft stole that from Apple.

Xerox was also the first major American company to make the mouse in 1973.

All-in-one's have been around way before iMacs were, late 1970's and 1980's.

Apple has always taken stuff other people have done and refined it to their aesthetic. Not that it's bad, but they get way too much credit for "inventing" things that aren't the iPod clickwheel.

jungleroomx on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

Poetry

navgoose wrote: »
    What's the concensus on sitting on pre-warmed (by another user) toilet seats?

someone's asscheeks were spread apart a few minutes before you and their butthole pushed out poop

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

if it wasn't then I don't know why anyone would sleep with him

bowen wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    I don't like the way OSX manages windows and programs

I think it's honestly the way everything should be handled. Nothing should be writing to the registry or documents or whatever.

Windows programs just dump so much trash all over the system. OSX doesn't need to be 'refreshed' very often.

I was talking more UI/UX wise

backend you're probably right... windows needs a new kernel tbh, NT is long in the tooth
    but today's MS couldn't engineer its way out of a paper bag, so we wait

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Slow, bad

0.7 / 10

Where's the .7 coming from

Good golly do you start with 10 and subtract

desc goes to a restaurant and places a stack of 1s on the table, demonstrating for the server the full potential tip s/he may receive by providing unparalleled service

Shivahn wrote: »

I would just post it in chat

But I also am kind of over it, to a degree

I can understand the over it thing, and in quite a few ways, I am as well, which is one of the reasons I wanted to write about it, actually.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

I know you were disappointed, but that was definitely great sex. Just, the best. Many sexperts, good sexperts, friends of mine... well, not friends, but I have brunch with them sometime, they're very knowledgeable, say that sex with me is good. Great, even. I'm big, pay attention to the right things, generally 10/10. They all agree, definitely one of the sex prodigies of America. Sad that you can't see that. Sad!

you know

I don't think I've ever backed up the registry before mucking with it.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

I'll have you know that the sassy hair flip emoji is in fact a help desk emoji, which makes it somehow more sexist

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Whatever the feature is called on mac os where I can swipe my fingers and have a completely new set of desktop windows is slick as shit and makes macs more fun and productive for me generally.

I haven't used a mac in a long time (essentially since I stopped being a mac tech), but I got so used to using the shortcuts to splay the windows and switch between them that it became second nature

i wish that i could do that now.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Also apples are a shitty fruit compared to like, everything else. Bananas, strawberries, oranges, pineapples, all way better than apples.

Apple juice is pretty good though.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote:

they lock stuff down because people are idiots

IT guys can access what they've always been able to access with command line and sudo and editing system files

I've seen no appreciable difference between Ubuntu, OSX, or Windows. Just slightly different UI styles.

Well, Ubuntu and Windows have a better capability to use legacy software.

KLMTmFW.jpg

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    NDA dropped on Elder Scrolls: Legends, the We Want Some Hearthstone Money Too from Bethesda.

watching streams. doesn't actually look horrible.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

Xerox was the first with the GUI. Apple stole it from them, Microsoft stole that from Apple.

Apple has always taken stuff other people have done and refined it to their aesthetic. Not that it's bad, but they get way too much credit for "inventing" things that aren't the iPod clickwheel.
    Apple didn't invent the mouse or the GUI but they were the first to put them in mainstream/commercial products

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Also apples are a shitty fruit compared to like, everything else. Bananas, strawberries, oranges, pineapples, all way better than apples.

you are the donald trump of tech opinions

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Whatever the feature is called on mac os where I can swipe my fingers and have a completely new set of desktop windows is slick as shit and makes macs more fun and productive for me generally.

I haven't used a mac in a long time (essentially since I stopped being a mac tech), but I got so used to using the shortcuts to splay the windows and switch between them that it became second nature

Yeah it's awesome. Whenever I'm on a mbp for long stretches and then have to go back to my windows work laptop it's a huge bummer.

can you feel the struggle within?
    edited July 2016
    I saw that image on my facebook feed just now, and so I decided to make you all look at it too.

Neco on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Apples are very good, do recommend

you are the donald trump of tech opinions

I reject this wholeheartedly and am greatly offended. Apple is the donald trump of tech companies.

Woz=Gates>>>>Jobs

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Latest Movies with Mikey
    Alfonso Cuarón!!!

<3

Yeah it's awesome. Whenever I'm on a mbp for long stretches and then have to go back to my windows work laptop it's a huge bummer.

FYI this exists in Win10

Apple didn't invent the mouse or the GUI but they were the first to put them in mainstream/commercial products

The link to the Alto shows that Xerox had the first commercial product.

The Alto became well known in Silicon Valley and its GUI was increasingly seen as the future of computing. In 1979, Steve Jobs arranged a deal in which Apple Computer would license the concepts from Xerox in exchange for Xerox being able to purchase stock options in Apple. After two famous visits to see the Alto, Apple engineers used the concepts to introduce the Apple Lisa and Macintosh systems, sparking the GUI revolution that took hold during the 1980s.

And then... they just used the Alto stuff and told Xerox to kick rocks.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    this chai tea tho

This discussion has been closed.