As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Question for the established Windows 10 users--what context menu editors do you guys swear by? I used Kaspersky rather than WIndows Defender, so I wanted to remove that "Scan with Windows Defender" context menu entry (as it's useless). CCleaner has some basic options, but it won't remove anything that is hard-baked into Windows 10, and I don't want to play around with registry editors to do something hard to reverse.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Pretty sure if you reserve it you're good to go at a later date.

That is not correct.

The easiest way to do it is probably to create a partition and install Windows 10 on that partition, using your 8.1 key. Once it's up and activated, you can just wipe the partition entirely and merge it back in.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Basically Win 10 needs to install somewhere to flag your motherboard to MS that you now own Win 10 afaik.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea, the windows people I follow do say that if you install, rollback, and then want to install again after the 29th you should be ok.

We won't know for sure until after the 29th though, but I personally think it will work.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Guys I did the thing. I upgraded just now.

Why do I feel like my screen contrast is different now?

Also wow I'm gonna need some help getting the start menu and what-not set up in a way I like.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I'm trying to install Win7 on a 2TB drive real quick before the deadline, but my install disk won't recognize it as a valid drive. I installed 7 temporarily on a 500GB drive so I could access files/possibly format the disk before messing around with things.

It's formatted under NTFS, the motherboard uses UEFI and online searching says that should be fine? Searching into this leads to a ton of discussion on legacy formats that makes my eyes drift apart, any suggestions on how I should approach this? Obvious things I've missed?

VRXwDW7.png
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    I'm trying to install Win7 on a 2TB drive real quick before the deadline, but my install disk won't recognize it as a valid drive. I installed 7 temporarily on a 500GB drive so I could access files/possibly format the disk before messing around with things.

It's formatted under NTFS, the motherboard uses UEFI and online searching says that should be fine? Searching into this leads to a ton of discussion on legacy formats that makes my eyes drift apart, any suggestions on how I should approach this? Obvious things I've missed?

No clue. Did the disk show up at all?

steam_sig.png
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Do you see the disk enumerated in the BIOS setup screen? If you see it in BIOS setup but not in Windows setup, then connect the drive as a secondary drive to your existing Win7 installation and use diskpart "clean" operation to wipe it. Drive should now be in factory state (unpartitioned space). Then try installing Windows on it. You don't even have to partition the disk during Windows setup unless you want multiple partitions. If you select the unpartitioned space during setup and hit "Next", then Windows setup will partition/format and use the entire drive.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i decided to install Win 8.1 on a spare blank hard drive and then upgrade that to Win 10.

once that's done, i'll format that drive and pop my actual Win 8.1 system drive back in.

this should work right? as in, it'll let me upgrade to Win 10 again later w/o having to shell out $119 or whatever?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    i decided to install Win 8.1 on a spare blank hard drive and then upgrade that to Win 10.

once that's done, i'll format that drive and pop my actual Win 8.1 system drive back in.

this should work right? as in, it'll let me upgrade to Win 10 again later w/o having to shell out $119 or whatever?

Probably? In theory yes. Not 100% sure. Since you know Microsoft can't be bothered to actually explain how things will work after Friday.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    wunderbar wrote: »

Probably? In theory yes. Not 100% sure. Since you know Microsoft can't be bothered to actually explain how things will work after Friday.

killer, thanks Microsoft

(but seriously, thanks @wunderbar )

ffNewSig.png

killer, thanks Microsoft

(but seriously, thanks @wunderbar )

Worst comes to worst, remember you can literally call Microsoft after you install Windows 10 (and run into any sort of authentication issues) and they'll almost certainly clear it up for you on their end.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    As much as I like a lot of the decision that the new Microsoft CEO has made and I think he is probably going to be a step up from Ballmer, I think the Windows division is on fire right now.

Windows 10 is so behind Mac OS X in terms of modern features (like HDPI scaling, system wide secure credentials storage, etc) and a consistent UI. On the other hand, Linux desktop environments have eclipsed Windows 10 in terms of UI design as well. Which is honestly a day I thought I would never see. I am hoping this is just left over technical debt from the Ballmer days and that Nadella can turn the ship around, but Windows 10 is kind of an embarrassing as a flagship product from a huge company like Microsoft.

It's one killer feature right now is that it can plays games otherwise I would never use it. The state of Windows is so bad right now that even though I need to build a new desktop, I am on the fence about it because installing Windows on a machine for me basically means it's only useful for playing games. I'd rather do my development work or general computing on Linux or OS X.

Windows has been a trainwreck since Windows 8. I don't blame people who are still on Windows 7 since it's the last consistent and well made that Microsoft released. But while Windows 7 was great in 2009, that is 7 years ago at this point.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I think you're overstating Windows' problems a bit (or maybe just coming at them from a perspective that most Windows users wouldn't).

I'm coming off of primarily using a Mac for my personal computing for the past 10 or so years. During that time, my work machine has been Windows XP - > 7 - > 8.1. When I built a PC a couple of months ago, I put 10 on it and...I really don't have any complaints? For what I do, I wouldn't say it's a disaster by any stretch. I guess the Start Menu UI is kind of a cluster, but I don't think I've used it more than once or twice. It's way easier to WinKey + type a couple of letters and hit enter. I'll admit I don't really do much on it aside from general web browsing and gaming, but I think that also means I reflect the majority of the windows userbase (possibly without the gaming).

I do miss OS X's credential storage, but that is mostly because I miss it synchronizing everything between all of my Apple devices. Since that isn't a feature MS is going to introduce *anyway* I'm happy to leave credential storage on Windows up to third party applications. I think the biggest thing I miss is the credit card information storage in OS X -- paying bills/buying things was a lot easier when I just clicked a pop-up box and in went my information. Maybe buying things being more difficult is for the best. :)

twmjr on
    edited July 2016
    I would take the Windows UI over the OSX/MacOS UI any day of the week.

EDIT: Clarification. The Windows 10 UI. The windows 8.1 UI was garbage on a big desktop screen. Windows 10 is not.

wunderbar on
    edited July 2016
    I'm a software developer and I've been involved with a lot of UI work so I am probably hyper sensitive on that front.

I just think Windows is actively mediocre right now. Sure it's not like it's unusable, but the whole thing feels thrown together. The new features that add always feel slap dash and add little value, while they ignore core problems with the OS. Also if you haven't been using Windows on a high res monitor you are missing how bad Windows is at scaling.

If you had to sell Windows 10 to someone who had Windows 7 or 8. What would be the killer feature?

I would list, better hardware compatibility and if someone was coming Windows 8 may slightly more consistent UI design? Not really a compelling feature list for 7 years of work.

EDIT: I would add virtual desktops, that was a nice feature for 10. It's a niche but for me it was a nice addition.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    edited July 2016
    If you had to sell Windows 10 to someone who had Windows 7 or 8. What would be the killer feature?

Not having total shit for customer support in Asia (also known as "Half the world").

It's pretty faint praise, especially coming from someone who has extensively bitched about Windows 10, it's basically the same feature 10 has had since 7 and 8: Microsoft is the only company whose customer support isn't complete shit in the Sinophone world. The situation isn't much better in India (and that's likely because at least the Indian market is heavy fluent in English).

In Taiwan, we're literally getting our first Apple store in a desperate effort to turn that around. It's basically where China was 5 to 10 years ago, which really doesn't bode well for that location. Then again, it mostly begs the question, "Why?" Because for a country of 23 million, you could put every working Apple computer in a single warehouse. It's not going to do much for the sorry state of customer support across all Apple products in Taiwan (though it is decidedly worse for PCs, at least with iPads and iPhones there are numbers to call).

On the subject of scaling, hilariously enough, Microsoft seems to be ahead of a great many game developers in scaling (which is to say, at least Microsoft offers some form of scaling). I'm using Windows 10 on a 4K monitor right now--and everything is completely readable by two adjustments, one of which was done automatically (the other being element size). All of Office seems to have perfectly adequate scaling. It's entirely possible that Apple's scaling options are far superior, but that doesn't change that Microsoft is well ahead of Electronic Arts, Creative Assembly, Sega, Wargaming.net, which all produce games with little or no scaling options. Faint praise, being better than "nothing at all."

Synthesis on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It's free and MS will drop support for 8 sooner rather than later probably and games will start requiring 10/DX12.

For scaling specifically. Windows supports it well, any app that's built/designed int he past few years should support it as well. But there are literally 10's of thousands of little utility apps that don't support scaling because of how the developer wrote them. I don't call that Microsoft's fault. They can give the tools but it is up to the developers to actually do it.

Xeddicus wrote: »
    It's free and MS will drop support for 8 sooner rather than later probably and games will start requiring 10/DX12.

Windows 8.0 is already out of support, but Windows 8.1 will be supported until January of 2023.

For scaling specifically. Windows supports it well, any app that's built/designed int he past few years should support it as well. But there are literally 10's of thousands of little utility apps that don't support scaling because of how the developer wrote them. I don't call that Microsoft's fault. They can give the tools but it is up to the developers to actually do it.

And frankly, those tiny utility apps are use brute force scaling to become totally readable--I'm literally using them right now. Are they good looking? Haha, no. But I'm not sure I'd describe the old control panel as "good looking" for quite a few years now.

Now, one think I'd prefer is if Microsoft stopped copying other company's penchant for useless goddamn error messages. I'm just waiting for Windows 10 to be patched to tell me "Aw! Snap!" the next time a program crashes to desktop.

Still the best error message I've ever seen:

something-happened.jpg

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Nice.

At least I get a code number.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Apple is actively terrible when it comes to supporting game developers on the desktop. Older version of OpenGL, most likely no Vulkan support, and Metal, yet another proprietary API for developers to jump through hoops to support. Granted Direct3d is in the same boat but it's a much more wildly accepted API that is basically the 800 gorilla in terms of graphics APIs. Also, Microsoft is not going to do anything to discourage people from using Vulkan.

Microsoft has gaming locked down for good reason.

I ultimately think it is Microsoft's problem. I can (and do use) Mac OSX written in the 2000s and they scale just fine. I think Apple is giving developers better more consistent tools and that is paying off for them with better more consistent apps.

I mean Microsoft it not making it easy for themselves, they essentially have to completely different UI styles that they trying to unify.

Still the best error message I've ever seen:

something-happened.jpg

Literally the only way to make that worse is to put an emoticon or graphic after it.

Like a snapping finger, for example, the international symbol for "Go fuck yourself."

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

DirectX 12

Vulkan mitigates this somewhat (especially if you're on AMD hardware) since it runs on 7/8 but if you're a PC gamer you're pretty much going to have to jump to Windows 10 sooner or later because the performance increases with DX12/asynchronous computing are something now and are only going to grow as developers get better and better at chipping away overhead.

edited July 2016
    Really, I'd just like a way to force Windows 10 to shut down after a certain length of time--say, 20 seconds--a oppose to spinning its goddamn useless wheel when I'm going to have to manually shut it down anyway.

Hopefully turning on Verbose Status sheds some light on this.

Synthesis on
    edited July 2016
    So here's a headscratcher for you background services gurus: apparently my shutdown problems are coming from Storage Service (StorSvc), a background service that's trigger to manually start for...something. It's not really clear what. Though that would explain why my shutdown hang only happens some of the time, and not other times.

It sounds like something you really shouldn't disable. But it's completely opaque. It had no dependencies. Really, I just need it to shut down like a normal service (instead of hanging on forever), or for WIndows 10 to not be stupid and turn off after a few seconds of trying anyway.

Synthesis on
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So here's a headscratcher for you background services gurus: apparently my shutdown problems are coming from Storage Service (StorSvc), a background service that's trigger to manually start for...something. It's not really clear what. Though that would explain why my shutdown hang only happens some of the time, and not other times.

It sounds like something you really shouldn't disable. But it's completely opaque. It had no dependencies. Really, I just need it to shut down like a normal service (instead of hanging on forever), or for WIndows 10 to not be stupid and turn off after a few seconds of trying anyway.

If you want to really deep dive you could use the Sysinternals tools (probably ProcMan) and see where it is hanging up. Assuming you can log to file so you don't lose the window when Windows restarts.

If you want to really deep dive you could use the Sysinternals tools (probably ProcMan) and see where it is hanging up. Assuming you can log to file so you don't lose the window when Windows restarts.

Do you mean Process Monitor (ProcMon)?

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    So I have upgraded my new pc from 8.1 to 10 and not really looked back, but I also have my old PC around as a backup. It runs windows 7.

I am currently using it since my new oc's harddrive was going caput(luckily it won't cost me a dime to repair since it was a component issue and warranty covered it).

Should I upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 on my old PC?

Its not like I will use it much and all that "make a backup of W7 and restore once you got W10" is a bit out of my tech league.

So straight up Windows 7 or Windows 10?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    I prefer Windows 10, as it was designed in this century.

That being said, if you like the machine as is, and don't think you'll care about it in the near term, Windows 10 still has 2 and a half years of support, and is fine, if a bit dated now.

• TzyrTzyr Registered User regular
    Really, I'd just like a way to force Windows 10 to shut down after a certain length of time--say, 20 seconds--a oppose to spinning its goddamn useless wheel when I'm going to have to manually shut it down anyway.

This should work:

win key + r
    shutdown -f -s -t 20

where:
    -f force running applications to close without forewarning users
    -t xxx time-out, with xxx in seconds. Default is 30 seconds.
    -s is shutdown or
    -r is shutdown and restart or
    -g shutdown, restart and after system reboots, restart any registered application

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    Do you see the disk enumerated in the BIOS setup screen? If you see it in BIOS setup but not in Windows setup, then connect the drive as a secondary drive to your existing Win7 installation and use diskpart "clean" operation to wipe it. Drive should now be in factory state (unpartitioned space). Then try installing Windows on it. You don't even have to partition the disk during Windows setup unless you want multiple partitions. If you select the unpartitioned space during setup and hit "Next", then Windows setup will partition/format and use the entire drive.

I attempted to install Win7 on the 2TB drive just to check what specific problem it had again

and it just sorta worked?

I get the distinct feeling that looking at it with my 800GB drive install of Win7 cleared this up because something odd with factory settings, but hell if I know at this point just gotta get these security updates through and onto 10

VRXwDW7.png
    Tzyr wrote: »

This should work:

win key + r
    shutdown -f -s -t 20

where:
    -f force running applications to close without forewarning users
    -t xxx time-out, with xxx in seconds. Default is 30 seconds.
    -s is shutdown or
    -r is shutdown and restart or
    -g shutdown, restart and after system reboots, restart any registered application

That's handy (and could make a handy shortcut), but the OCD in me wants to fix the problem, rather than relying on a shortcut that I enter as a fix. I know that's a little dumb, but I could just as easily go "Fuck this noise," and just hit the power button and avoid all of this. At least that's how I think this would work. I do appreciate the suggestion nonetheless.

If I could modify the registry to force a time-out (how is that not a thing? fuck!) I would absolutely do that.

DirectX 12

Vulkan mitigates this somewhat (especially if you're on AMD hardware) since it runs on 7/8 but if you're a PC gamer you're pretty much going to have to jump to Windows 10 sooner or later because the performance increases with DX12/asynchronous computing are something now and are only going to grow as developers get better and better at chipping away overhead.

it's still going to take a while for games to require DX12. right now the list stands at 12 games that even support it. i think Ashes of the Singularity is the only one that straight up requires it.

ffNewSig.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    At least in my experience, just having the hardware accelerated desktop running in DX12 gives me performance increases for games running in fullscreen windowed mode (the one true mode).

edited July 2016
    LD50 wrote: »
    At least in my experience, just having the hardware accelerated desktop running in DX12 gives me performance increases for games running in fullscreen windowed mode (the one true mode).

Wait...what? Could you elaborate on this?

I have to admit, I have no idea about where hardware acceleration has gone with DirectX 12. I thought it was pretty much up to your card, not that there was anything specific the user needed to do.

Synthesis on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    While I've avoided it for this long, we're now at the final countdown. Do... I really want to update Windows 7 to Windows 10? I literally just use my home laptop to surf the net, watch shows if I'm using my TV and remote to my work computer.

The biggest reason against it is I have absolutely no desire to have the laptop tied to an online account (personal preference). On 8.1/my Surface I have it set to login locally, and then I just log into my MS account if need to hop on live or use the store. There a similar setup possible in 10?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”