As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm not ready for [Chat]

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Pac-Man 256 is the best game to play for 5-10 minutes at a time.

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    my english teacher told me the radiation from fukushima is wiping out ocean life all over the pacific and millions of people will die from it

which global warming, caused by burning fossil fuels, is already doing but

I'm probably going to get an F because this paper im turning in today is about how we need nuclear power, and details in lay terms how much safer gen 3 and 4 reactors are to reactors like fukushima, and even if there was a fukishma disaster every 2 years it wouldn't be anywhere close to the damage wrought by fossil fuels - disregarding global warming

once you add global warming to the ledger the only hindrance is the cost of nuclear power

I read something recently which claimed that, whatever its utility, nuclear power is not really a substitute for other renewables, on the grounds that new plants are extremely expensive and will take a really long time to get online. So, the claim was that even bracketing concerns about safety and waste storage there's not really any realistic scenario where nuclear power can take over in even the medium term, given that nuclear plant construction is a behemoth project that even when done to spec will involve massive capital outlays and most likely substantial cost and scheduling overruns.

I feel like that's because policy in general tends to be against building new nuclear plants due to the fear of more reactor meltdowns impeding progress and not even giving safer, newer tech a chance but that's just a gut reading based off of my very occasional updates of my knowledge re:nuclear power

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    omggggg lolllllllllll

apparently the BIG boss in DC saw my coworker sleeping and said something about it on the call and he still went back to sleep, and that was when my boss told me to go wake him up lol

Ludious

hahahahahahahahaha

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Our pediatrician has the gross - out poster of young children disfigured by easily vaccinated against diseases.

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Pac-Man 256 is the best game to play for 5-10 minutes at a time.

i'm a fan of 100mil / you must build a boat

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Aren't Rads an outdated metric for radiation?

Yeah I thought it was rem and rontgens or something like that?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    my english teacher told me the radiation from fukushima is wiping out ocean life all over the pacific and millions of people will die from it

I'm probably going to get an F because this paper im turning in today is about how we need nuclear power, and details in lay terms how much safer gen 3 and 4 reactors are to reactors like fukushima, and even if there was a fukishma disaster every 2 years it wouldn't be anywhere close to the damage wrought by fossil fuels - disregarding global warming

once you add global warming to the ledger the only hindrance is the cost of nuclear power

I read something recently which claimed that, whatever its utility, nuclear power is not really a substitute for other renewables, on the grounds that new plants are extremely expensive and will take a really long time to get online. So, the claim was that even bracketing concerns about safety and waste storage there's not really any realistic scenario where nuclear power can take over in even the medium term, given that nuclear plant construction is a behemoth project that even when done to spec will involve massive capital outlays and most likely substantial cost and scheduling overruns.

From what I read years ago, nuclear power plants require a huge early investment but their maintenance cost is low. so overall it doesn't end up being that bad

but you have to be willing to take the risk on having one long term so that the initial cost gets balanced out by less cost down the road.

which is a big risk to take, and it's prohibitive for a lot of places where they just can't pour that much money into infrastructure.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    One of the charts I got here for Fukushima radiation spread shows the entire western united states getting 750 rads of radiation

God I remember that

When 100 million Americans died from radiation poisoning

That was a rough week

(for those wondering 400 rads is the LD50... so that number is either wildy inaccurate, or best coast is now supermutant coast)

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

China seems pretty keen on throwing up a bunch of much smaller nuclear plants that take less time to build

All of this is reasons why we should have started building many new plants a decade ago, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't start building more now

It is an argument in favor of wind and solar, though, given that their up front capital cost is much lower, their efficiency has only been improving, and they're ready to step in to cut carbon emissions now rather than in several decades after the first new nuclear designs are approved, locations are found, capital is raised, ground is broken... etc.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    no I guess that's backwards, rads is the new one, rontgens is the old ones nevermind they're all old, I dunno

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    man I bet a major lazer concert would be fun as fuck. I'd dance my dang legs off.

DUDE!

I saw them last month. That shit was ABSOLUTELY BONKERS.

If you get the chance you want to see them. You will dance until you're dead.

Like holy shit. I listened to non-stop Major Lazer for like a week afterwards because it was such a great show.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

the 80s are hot right now

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    One of the charts I got here for Fukushima radiation spread shows the entire western united states getting 750 rads of radiation

God I remember that

When 100 million Americans died from radiation poisoning

That was a rough week

I died, man. Show some respect.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

the 80s are hot right now
    So are areas with a lot of Rads.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i am not terribly familiar with major lazer's music but i've always appreciated the name

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    man I bet a major lazer concert would be fun as fuck. I'd dance my dang legs off.

DUDE!

I saw them last month. That shit was ABSOLUTELY BONKERS.

If you get the chance you want to see them. You will dance until you're dead.

Like holy shit. I listened to non-stop Major Lazer for like a week afterwards because it was such a great show.
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    hm the nearest MD to my place (health services apparently doesn't open til a few weeks from now) has really good google reviews

BUT

one of the reviews says
    He is not one to write unneeded prescriptions, and I am especially grateful for his sensible guidance about vaccines for my kids. A+.

*squints*

Why is that automatically a bad thing?

Maybe they just wanted to know more about the vaccines and the doctor helped them understand why they are safe and a good thing?

Seems weird that it stands out so much to you.

really? Have you ever encountered an anti vaxxer?

They usually aren't the doctors!

Doctors can be just as stupid as the rest of humanity.

Being a Doctor doesn't make you immune.

I mean yeah, Ben Carson proves that

but it does usually make you pretty on the ball when it comes to medicine, even if you're a drooling lunatic outside of that

a doctor being an anti-vaxxer would still be surprising because it would mean that a doctor was dumb when it came to the thing that they studied relentlessly.

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The Metric version of Radiation is The Grey or Gy, One joule of energy per kilogram of matter

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    no I guess that's backwards, rads is the new one, rontgens is the old ones nevermind they're all old, I dunno

I thing Sieverts is the SI one you'd use to talk about radiation poisoning.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    The Metric version of Radiation is The Grey or Gy, One joule of energy per kilogram of matter

metric huh?

we don't need your shit metric system

USA
    USA
    USA
    USA
    USA
    USA

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Let's change up and listen to Primus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY7jSesdxl0

• AersienAersien Registered User regular
    Doctors definitely aren't immune to stupid. In fact, we're infamously terrible with money—we spend a long time being relatively poor and learning a ton about non-money stuff, then suddenly have a salary explosion and do some pretty dumb thing with the cash. There was a hilarious article a few years ago where some well-meaning doctors accidentally created a pyramid scheme. Yes, accidentally, and they were not only shocked that what they were doing was illegal, they were shocked that what they were doing was not actually a viable way to enrich large numbers of people.

But doctors are, by and large, smarter about medicine than the average population. We spend a lot of time having that drummed into us. We'd better know a thing or two about it. There are idiot doctors, of course, but there are fewer medically idiot doctors than medically idiot non-doctors, proportionally.

There's a fair-sized controversy among pediatricians about what to do about parents frightened of vaccines. If you are willing to bend the standard immunization schedule you're probably putting children at additional risk. If you refuse to you're risking driving the parents away and leaving the kids at even greater risk. This is part of why I couldn't be a pediatrician (or do child psychiatry): kids are great to work with, but far too many of the problems come from parents, and they're not your patients and you have no leverage with them.

Good doctors can take the time to explain to parents why vaccines are given when and how they are, and why deviating from that is not a good idea, and go through all the vaccine literature. But let's be real, appointments are so short there's barely time to get the medical work done unless you have a concierge doc that you're paying out of pocket to take the time. But yes, I think there are a lot more nervous parents than die-hard anti-vaccine nutjobs, and there probably are a fair number of parents who would write good reviews for a doctor who took the time to explain why vaccines are good and why the kids should get them instead of just shouting, "ANTI-VAX IS EVIL AND YOU ARE STUPID GET OUT OF MY OFFICE YOU LOWLIFE SCUM."

Which happens.

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    sometimes i wanna play videogames but they feel like too much effort

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFEtBNxsWmI

EDIT: since the theme seems to be environmentalism

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png

metric huh?

we don't need your shit metric system

USA
    USA
    USA
    USA
    USA
    USA

Well I will walk five hundred miles and slap my ten inch hands that weigh half a stone each in your 37°C face

You pro-vaccine types just prove how effective the mind control Chem trails have been.

Wake up sheeple!

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Man I just want to watch Suicide Squad and see Joker and Harley and Affleck and the other guy with the boomerangs and the lady with the sword and the witch lady and will smith and gun guy from The Killing and the fire guy and the crocodile rock and mean boss lady.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm in a facebook group for liver disease and there were some anti-vaxxers there that in the end had to be kicked off. Nobody was being preachy to them or anything, just getting them to stop being dangerous influence on others. All the while their demeanor is some sort of smug inner circle winking to each other like "yeah... we know, you and I, we know the real truth". They are in every sense exactly the same in the head as fundamentalists. There is nothing I despise more than willfully ignorant people.

There was also one poor guy who was going to cease all treatment and let god cure him. He went so far as to saying he would never even go to check-ups because that would not be placing enough faith in his healing. He will unfortunately die there are no two ways about that. Though maybe he would have either way, and in that case I can't see any real issue with going out in the way that is most comforting to you.

PSN: Honkalot
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    personally i am anti vaccine

the world is overpopulated and miniature coffin makers have been suffering for business since the early 1900s

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    My belly feels all goofy.

• JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

China seems pretty keen on throwing up a bunch of much smaller nuclear plants that take less time to build

All of this is reasons why we should have started building many new plants a decade ago, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't start building more now

I think the argument is that we can't get nuclear power up and running fast enough to replace fossil fuel before it's too late/we run out of it.

whereas a switch to wind/solar can be achieved relatively fast.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Testing out my newly earned ribbon~~

Aersien wrote: »
    Doctors definitely aren't immune to stupid. In fact, we're infamously terrible with money—we spend a long time being relatively poor and learning a ton about non-money stuff, then suddenly have a salary explosion and do some pretty dumb thing with the cash. There was a hilarious article a few years ago where some well-meaning doctors accidentally created a pyramid scheme. Yes, accidentally, and they were not only shocked that what they were doing was illegal, they were shocked that what they were doing was not actually a viable way to enrich large numbers of people.

But doctors are, by and large, smarter about medicine than the average population. We spend a lot of time having that drummed into us. We'd better know a thing or two about it. There are idiot doctors, of course, but there are fewer medically idiot doctors than medically idiot non-doctors, proportionally.

There's a fair-sized controversy among pediatricians about what to do about parents frightened of vaccines. If you are willing to bend the standard immunization schedule you're probably putting children at additional risk. If you refuse to you're risking driving the parents away and leaving the kids at even greater risk. This is part of why I couldn't be a pediatrician (or do child psychiatry): kids are great to work with, but far too many of the problems come from parents, and they're not your patients and you have no leverage with them.

Good doctors can take the time to explain to parents why vaccines are given when and how they are, and why deviating from that is not a good idea, and go through all the vaccine literature. But let's be real, appointments are so short there's barely time to get the medical work done unless you have a concierge doc that you're paying out of pocket to take the time. But yes, I think there are a lot more nervous parents than die-hard anti-vaccine nutjobs, and there probably are a fair number of parents who would write good reviews for a doctor who took the time to explain why vaccines are good and why the kids should get them instead of just shouting, "ANTI-VAX IS EVIL AND YOU ARE STUPID GET OUT OF MY OFFICE YOU LOWLIFE SCUM."

Which happens.

um i think the people have heard enough from the experts thank you very much

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I'm anti everything.

Hell I routinely stop breathing for a minute several times a day just to stick it to biology.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    You pro-vaccine types just prove how effective the mind control Chem trails have been.

Wake up sheeple!

When I was a teen my dad tried to tell me chem trails were real. In all seriousness.

Wouldnt be surprised if he still believes it.

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Harley Quinn is the only reason I want to see Suicide Squad. Which means I really want to see Suicide Squad.

Honk wrote: »
    I'm in a facebook group for liver disease and there were some anti-vaxxers there that in the end had to be kicked off. Nobody was being preachy to them or anything, just getting them to stop being dangerous influence on others. All the while their demeanor is some sort of smug inner circle winking to each other like "yeah... we know, you and I, we know the real truth". They are in every sense exactly the same in the head as fundamentalists. There is nothing I despise more than willfully ignorant people.

There was also one poor guy who was going to cease all treatment and let god cure him. He went so far as to saying he would never even go to check-ups because that would not be placing enough faith in his healing. He will unfortunately die there are no two ways about that. Though maybe he would have either way, and in that case I can't see any real issue with going out in the way that is most comforting to you.

if the only person you're killing is yourself, and you're going to die a pretty painful death either way, i have a hard time faulting your dumb opinions if it makes you feel better

but when like parents do that to their kids

burn it all down

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Julius wrote: »

I think the argument is that we can't get nuclear power up and running fast enough to replace fossil fuel before it's too late/we run out of it.

Who said anything about replace?

Thinking of energy in terms of a single technology providing all the things is a really simplistic view (nuclear is one of the only options that can actually do that, but it would take 50 years and trillions of dollars or some shit)

override367 on
    Julius wrote: »

Can renewables alone meet current and projected demand? If they can, let's go for it.

I think there is a case for WhyNotBoth.jpg

This discussion has been closed.