As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX veterans, what will you do differently this PAX and what were your biggest mistakes?

124»

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Here is my advice as someone who has been to all pax primes:

Buy a new pair of running/tennis shoes before PAX. Wear them for about a week before pax. Your feet will LOVE you when you don't show up in Vans or Converse with no support. You're standing like 80% of the day. No one cares what your shoes look like and the comfort of new shoes with GOOD support is amazing. I'm not an overweight person either.

Bring or buy a pack of protein bars and shove 2-3 in your purse/backpack. You're going to be hungry and when you've only got 15 minutes before a panel starts, having a snack like that is a life-saver. Will save you $$$ too.

Bring a secondary battery for your phone. Not a charge cord, a secondary battery. That way you're never tied to a socket/outlet.

I personally bring a set of Midland Portable radios so I can split up with my bros in the expo hall and not have to spend time texting and having the messages not go through and 20 minutes later we're all just waiting around for one guy. It makes life easier for the one guy who wants to stay back at the hotel and meet up later. Throw him a radio and when he's ready to meet up he can call you.

Wear more deoderant than you think is necessary.

TALK TO PEOPLE.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    altmann wrote: »
    Here is my advice as someone who has been to all pax primes:

Buy a new pair of running/tennis shoes before PAX. Wear them for about a week before pax. Your feet will LOVE you when you don't show up in Vans or Converse with no support. You're standing like 80% of the day. No one cares what your shoes look like and the comfort of new shoes with GOOD support is amazing. I'm not an overweight person either.

Bring or buy a pack of protein bars and shove 2-3 in your purse/backpack. You're going to be hungry and when you've only got 15 minutes before a panel starts, having a snack like that is a life-saver. Will save you $$$ too.

Bring a secondary battery for your phone. Not a charge cord, a secondary battery. That way you're never tied to a socket/outlet.

I personally bring a set of Midland Portable radios so I can split up with my bros in the expo hall and not have to spend time texting and having the messages not go through and 20 minutes later we're all just waiting around for one guy. It makes life easier for the one guy who wants to stay back at the hotel and meet up later. Throw him a radio and when he's ready to meet up he can call you.

Wear more deoderant than you think is necessary.

TALK TO PEOPLE.

^This. Pretty much everything I wanted to say. Except that I specifically bring a stash of Clif bars, and the majority of those are eaten by other people in lines who didn't bring stuff (or my group) so it is a great way to make new friends.

I also bring a couple water bottles.

And for the second battery, I prefer a portable phone charger.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    Alright I got a new one, forgot about this until I went back to the gym after a few weeks and two days later moving an inch is agonizing.

Physically condition yourselves.

Last year, about two months before SDCC, I twisted my ankle bad. So obviously I stopped going to the gym for a month. Well after I could walk easilu I thought, "I should skip legs so I don't hurt myself more for a while longer"(I still did deadlifts, clearly I just wanted an excuse to slack off). Well SDCC comes around and walking around and standing was murder on my calves.
    Not the day of mind you, the day after, when you have to do it all over but now your legs are all tight and sore.

Unless your a nurse or a park ranger, most of us aren't used to standing and walking for hours, and if we're being honest most of us who think they'll get a foldable camper stool never will, so do your legs a favor and condition them. Take a backpack, load it with a bunch of heavy books, and just walk around the block for an hour or so everyday(whatever you can manage). Once your done (or if you don't want to go outside in the first place), do some squats with that weight, the extra spring In your step can mean the difference when you bum rush the expo hall lines.

I think Pokemon Go is going to help with this :D

<@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • Options
    pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    A couple things I learned to do.

- If you are going with a group of friends, plan what you want to see the Thursday before PAX. Have everyone circle the panels they want to go to, followed by the parties they want to attend and then put in what times you want to browse the expo hall. This was especially important for me as I attend PAX as media and have a variety of appointments I need to attend during each day.

- Accept that you won't see everything you want to see. Some things are impossible to make it too, especially if the panels you want to see start right after one another.

- Stay healthy: This is probably the most important part of maintaining a proper schedule at PAX. Pack some fruit (Like an Apple or Banana), some protein bars and bring a water bottle. I made the mistake of not doing this and got dehydrated one year, causing me to miss out on a lot of fun.

- After PAX is closed each day, make an effort to join a tournament, or participate in the free-play lounges at night. These are a shit-ton of fun, especially when you get some friendly competitive games going on between a big group. I'm sure Pokemon GO will be a highlight of this year too, so if there is some sort of Pokemon GO walk at PAX, participate in it! Just because the expo hall is closed, doesn't mean PAX is over.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • Options
    Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    Alright I got a new one, forgot about this until I went back to the gym after a few weeks and two days later moving an inch is agonizing.

Physically condition yourselves.

Last year, about two months before SDCC, I twisted my ankle bad. So obviously I stopped going to the gym for a month. Well after I could walk easilu I thought, "I should skip legs so I don't hurt myself more for a while longer"(I still did deadlifts, clearly I just wanted an excuse to slack off). Well SDCC comes around and walking around and standing was murder on my calves.
    Not the day of mind you, the day after, when you have to do it all over but now your legs are all tight and sore.

Unless your a nurse or a park ranger, most of us aren't used to standing and walking for hours, and if we're being honest most of us who think they'll get a foldable camper stool never will, so do your legs a favor and condition them. Take a backpack, load it with a bunch of heavy books, and just walk around the block for an hour or so everyday(whatever you can manage). Once your done (or if you don't want to go outside in the first place), do some squats with that weight, the extra spring In your step can mean the difference when you bum rush the expo hall lines.

I think Pokemon Go is going to help with this :D

After seeing so many people walking around on campus catching Pokémon, I agree.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    windfallwindfall Registered User regular
    This year I'm determined to actually make reservations and eat at the places in Seattle that I missed in 2015. Last year I was in far too big of a group. Very few places would accept reservations for such a large party so we ended up eating at some mediocre places. It was really disappointing since we still spent a fortune and it wasn't all that enjoyable. At least that's the case for me, after talking with some of the others in that group they felt pretty satisfied.

• Options
    tkywatkywa Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    This year, I'm going to figure out a better system for wearing and trading my pins. I had to admit to myself at East this year that I can't wear all my pins at the same time anymore. I am planning to pare down the collection though, maybe trade multiple pins for something rare.

And seconding altman who mentioned talking to people. I tend to be a little shy, but PAXers are such cool people. I'm going to try and talk more.

Cosplaying is definitely something I'll be doing at future PAXes. I never did it before East this year, but it turned out to be so much fun.

tkywa on
  • Options
    jscott8000jscott8000 Registered User new member
    Anyone have any good recommendations for restaurants that are a must see?

• Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    jscott8000 wrote: »

There usually is a foodie thread by now, but this is always a tough call depending on what you like.

If you are looking for Seattle area specific, you may try Lunchbox Labs, or one of the 2 crepe places near the WSCC.

If you want lower costs, you can always go to Dicks (which MAY finally be taking Credit Cards by PAX)

We also found Mikes Chili Parlor up in Ballard was surprisingly good.

I'm sure you will get tons of recommendations. Just make sure you are aware of what kinds of things you like and what you can afford.

(Note: I don't list seafood places not due to the fact there are none, but due to the fact that my wife and I do not frequent them. I know there are several in the area I just don't know names)

• Options
    havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    Solelron wrote: »

There usually is a foodie thread by now, but this is always a tough call depending on what you like.

If you are looking for Seattle area specific, you may try Lunchbox Labs, or one of the 2 crepe places near the WSCC.

If you want lower costs, you can always go to Dicks (which MAY finally be taking Credit Cards by PAX)

We also found Mikes Chili Parlor up in Ballard was surprisingly good.

I'm sure you will get tons of recommendations. Just make sure you are aware of what kinds of things you like and what you can afford.

(Note: I don't list seafood places not due to the fact there are none, but due to the fact that my wife and I do not frequent them. I know there are several in the area I just don't know names)

A friend of mine moved to Seattle a few years ago and introduced me to Lunchbox Laboratory and now I try to go at least once every time I'm out there. The burgers are great and there's usually a fun specialty shake to try.

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular

Don't see a Food thread up, but here's the Google Doc that was shared last year.

PimDtoK.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    jukkakhan wrote: »

Don't see a Food thread up, but here's the Google Doc that was shared last year.

I turned that spreadsheet into a map.
    The color coding is based on price: Blue=$,Green=$$,Orange=$$$. As far as I know you can't put 1 location in 2 categories, so a place can't be listed as breakfast & Lunch/Dinner. If a place sells breakfast and other stuff, it's probably sorted under breakfast.

• Options
    cursecurse Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I don't think the list has seen significant updates since 2014, I can see some of my last submissions at the bottom of the list and there have been several closures and a ton of openings and restaurant moves since then.

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
  • Options
    SanDogWepsSanDogWeps Limerick Monger San DiegoRegistered User regular
    All awesome tips, but if you are inclined to haul the extra bit of weight, bring enough to share with someone (not everyone!). The camraderie you get from hauling forth an additional Clif Bar to hand to someone who, after seeing yours, laments not having done same, or having a multi-tipped charging cable with a spare battery pack so they can use some of your 11,000 mA battery pack... Pays huge dividends, and you seriously just made someone's day.

And don't be afraid to offer someone a wee nip off the flask, either.

keyanEQ2_100x400.gif
  • Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    SanDogWeps wrote: »

And don't be afraid to offer someone a wee nip off the flask, either.

Yeah ... uh, no. I would never take a "wee nip off the flask" from someone I literally just met. It's cool if you're sharing amongst friends, however.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    kr0490kr0490 Registered User regular
    I am bringing a 26800 mah battery pack to share with anyone who needs it. Plenty of juice for everyone (well maybe not everyone).

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    I have definitely shared wee nips with newfound buddies at pax. We're all there together. Then again I don't have any sort of germophobia.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    AshrackAshrack Enforcer Deputy Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    By gosh share a wee nip - just pour it into a cup. It's less general germs to be worried about, and more the serious contagions that are not uncommon at PAX you want to minimize. Like H1N1 - that was fun wasn't it? Share and be awesome - but be safe and make it home happy.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I generally do not accept beverages from unlabeled containers from strangers.

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's less a germ issue than a rufie issue. Haha.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    now, cracking a sealed bottle of something good and sharing? totally.

• Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    After a decade of PAX there aren't too many mistakes I still make. But one of the biggest mistakes you can make is only getting one smoothie at the Juicy Cafe, especially if you're with friends. I always get 2 and never regret it. Two smoothies is usually enough to supplement a meal, especially with added protein. I make two trips a day and only have to stop too eat real food for dinner.

Came to write this: I ate mostly heavy/unhealthy food for Prime 2011-2014 and always felt awful. Switched to an almost entirely Juicy Cafe based diet for 2015 and felt good both during and after the show.

Do try their meals though, a rice/quinoa bowl with salmon with one of the green PAX bottled drinks is my go-to combo.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    TabbyKatTabbyKat Registered User regular
    Something I learned last year: Make sure you have a durable double shoulder bag in which to carry things.
    One shoulder bags will start to hurt after enough time.
    You will be very said when you're cheap fabric bag rips through while running down the street and you drop everything onto the sidewalk.

• Options
    oldskoolboarderoldskoolboarder Registered User regular
    TabbyKat wrote: »
    Something I learned last year: Make sure you have a durable double shoulder bag in which to carry things.
    You will be very said when you're cheap fabric bag rips through while running down the street and you drop everything onto the sidewalk.

Are backpacks allowed inside? That was our plan but you're comment made me think a little.

• Options

Are backpacks allowed inside? That was our plan but you're comment made me think a little.

As far as I know they are. Double checked the rules page on the website and did not see anything regarding them. Probably not a ridiculous sized one that may be dangerous in crowds, but drawstring bags are very common and also given out at booths in years prior.

• Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular

Backpacks are totally allowed, and I'd say most people there have one. Just remember not to smack people with it, and take it off and set it at your feet if you're standing in a cramped line.

Buy a good one that is comfortable! Here is mine and it has served me well for many PAXen over the years. The ventilated back pad thing keeps me from sweating all over it, and it's got compartments for days.

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    oldskoolboarderoldskoolboarder Registered User regular
    Yeah, seems that threads I read against backpacks were because of the size and bumping into others. I was going to use my shoulder bag but we're staying close and plan to have breaks to unload/rest so I don't expect to be a sherpa for 8 hours. Plus, I also hate bumping into people w/ a stuffed bag.

• Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    From personal experience using both, I now recommend a shoulder bag/messenger bag. Lately I've used the Fallout messenger bag, and it has been great. It's out of the way enough that you don't bump people with it constantly.

Backpacks are ok if, as zeale mentioned, you take them off when in line. It gets pretty bad when the guy next to you is constantly swinging his bag into you, and it will happen many times a day.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Second the call for using backpacks and being backpack-aware. I use a shoulder bag but can attest that it will seriously kill your shoulder muscles by day one.

And yes, to folks that have their backpacks at their feet in lines, you are appreciated!

• Options
    Second the call for using backpacks and being backpack-aware. I use a shoulder bag but can attest that it will seriously kill your shoulder muscles by day one.

And yes, to folks that have their backpacks at their feet in lines, you are appreciated!

For me personally I like the messenger bag because it doesnt cover my back and so I wont sweat to much. Its also easier to move to your front if your paranoid about peolple going into your bag.

As for weight I think that depends on what your packing in there initially, PAX gives out alot of swag but its usually light weight like shirts.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options

I've seen that happen before, I've also seen people's foldable chairs crumble underneath them. Always inspect your gear kids.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Yeah, seems that threads I read against backpacks were because of the size and bumping into others. I was going to use my shoulder bag but we're staying close and plan to have breaks to unload/rest so I don't expect to be a sherpa for 8 hours. Plus, I also hate bumping into people w/ a stuffed bag.

At pax 2014, I bumped into a guy while in line for due process and he thought I was trying to steal from his bag. Beware the bump.

Hoboking006 on
    May PAX be upon you.
  • Options

I've seen that happen before, I've also seen people's foldable chairs crumble underneath them. Always inspect your gear kids.

It was a cheap free bag. My dice box slowly wore a hole in it. Thankfully nothing was lost and people were nice enough to help me pick everything up and transfer it to a friend's bag. I will be bringing a much better bag this year.

• Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    II have been attending PAX Prime West and East since 2008 with only missing East once last year due to reasons. Anyway I would offer the following pieces of advice and my worst experience so far:
    1. Wear comfy shoes and loose clothing. This will make the constant trekking about much more bearable.
    2. Do not wear a back pack, wear a shoulder bag/satchel instead as it rests on your side and is much less likely to strike someone. When I was demoing a game someone tw@tted the ipad I was playing it on with their backpack and I almost dropped it on the floor. Please do not wear one!
    3. Go to all of the levels! Especially Level 6 is filled with awesome games and tabletop game vendors. It also has the retro video game arcade area on it.
    4. Get to panels on time and carefully judge how popular they will be. The really popular ones have a 2 hour line to them!
    5. Bring your 3DS for streetpass goodness. I actually give everyone England as a region too, which many appreciate.
    6. Talk to people; we're generally like minded folk who are here for a common goal, to play and talk about games of all kinds.
    7. Drink regularly and wash your hands after going to the expo hall and playing games there. The controls are covered in germs and will infect your delicate immune system if you don't go to the bathroom and use soap and water on them. Hand sanitising works to a degree but not as great as soap and water. Remember you don't have to line up in the bathroom to wash your hands!
    8. Try out D&D, what's the worst that could happen?
    OK my worst mistake was going to the tabletop freeplay on my own a couple of years ago. I was hoping to join a group by teaching some games they had in the library but I was rebuffed on multiple occasions. It made me feel wretched and I left feeling quite down. I hope they can make 'Looking for Group' a lot better this year, but my experience was not pleasant :(

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    @kropotkin I'm disappointed to hear you had that experience going to tabletop freeplay by yourself. To be fair my experience is solely from east by in always go there by myself and end up learning some new games and have taught people on a couple occasions.
    I agree LFG system needs improvement.